Author Topic: Dyn.com Ends Free Dynamic DNS - alternatives?  (Read 7457 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Dyn.com Ends Free Dynamic DNS - alternatives?
« on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:15:04 »
http://dyn.com/blog/why-we-decided-to-stop-offering-free-accounts/

I have been using this for years (although in the new house the internet connection drops out many times a day and consequently the IP address changes many times a day, but anyway).

Can anyone recommend a good, free, reliable alternative?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Dyn.com Ends Free Dynamic DNS - alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:16:16 »
8.8.8.8?

What's a dynamic DNS?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:20:57 »
Where you can choose your hostname and register it for free, pointing to a non-static IP address of your server (or even a static IP address, if you have one - they are generally a paid extra to business accounts only over here).

e.g. rowdy.somedomain.com where I can update the IP address via a webpage or API each time it changes.  For free.

Some I've found are:

http://www.changeip.com/services/free-dynamic-dns/
http://www.noip.com/
http://freedns.afraid.org/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:26:18 »
Cool. Seems like a very useful thing. I asked my friend who knows more about this than I do, he says noip is pretty good.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Windos

• king.geek.nz
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:30:51 »
I've used noip.com, they are pretty good. They get a little... "pushy*" with the emails if you don't actually use your free host name.

*Disclaimer: They are just emails warning that the host name will expire due to inactivity, I just seem to remember getting them every day for a little while.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:35:22 »
I think they all probably send emails - Dyn.com used to, once a month if I didn't update the address.

Two votes for noip ...

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 23:14:21 »
Thanks for posting.  I just got the email from Dyn.  I'll give no-ip a try.

Offline nar

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 01:40:23 »
I've been using https://freedns.afraid.org/ for the past 5 years now, the domains you use are owned by other people but given for free use so there's a chance the domain will expire or be removed but otherwise I've never had a problem.

Best of all, it's not just dynamic dns, you can use them as redirects or as full domains with DNS records as well.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 08:56:21 »
For those using NO-IP, are you able to use custom ports?

On Dyn, my set up is:
     http://hostname.dyndns.org --> modem/router
     http://hostname.dyndns.org:1234 --> my pc

This works and port forwarding is all set up.

When I switched over my router settings to use NO-IP and this happens:
     http://hostname.dyndns.no-ip.biz --> modem/router
     http://hostname.no-ip.biz:1234 --> my pc

So...am I missing something or NO-IP doesn't support custom ports?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 15:16:27 »
I've never worried about custom ports at that level.

I just use(d) DynDNS to point everything at, effectively, my modem, then setup port forwarding in the modem to various nodes on my LAN.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 12:35:26 »
I have used no-ip to give a friend my "address" for minecraft. Just a local server with some ports forwarded on the router. I know minecraft doesn't run on port 80 so hopefully that answers your question.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:41:01 »
I have used no-ip to give a friend my "address" for minecraft. Just a local server with some ports forwarded on the router. I know minecraft doesn't run on port 80 so hopefully that answers your question.

Another vote for no-ip, thanks!

Looks like that might be the favourite so far - no-one has complained about them anyway.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 20:23:55 »
'got the custom ports working with no-ip BTW.  I guess I just had to let things settle in. :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 01:27:49 »
Seen the no-ip commercials?

:))

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 15:06:24 »
Seen the no-ip commercials?

:))

Ive been looking for an alternative to dyn as well and these commercials have convinced me to at least try noip lol

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 22:04:26 »
Heh I was gunna chime in for no-ip also!

You have to go and type in a code every month to prevent your domain from expiring, or you can pay like $5.
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 01:27:33 »
Thanks!

So many votes (relatively) for no-ip.

Sounds like the way to go.

Had an email from DynDNS yesterday, only 7 days to go until the cancel the free hostname (but do not delete my account - there are separate instructions in the email on how to delete the account).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 06:28:48 »
DynDNS has ended their free services.

I signed up with no-ip, although it took two tries (the first time the page didn't load properly or something, and the signup button was disabled).

I managed to install their auto-update client on my server with one command (apt-get install) - impressive!

Thanks for the suggests :)

Offline Cheesebaron

• blog
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 18:39:44 »
There is also the Danish http://GratisDNS.dk which allows for dynamic DNS through their API. There are several PHP scripts floating around which show how to use it.

MINILA       Poker II       Model M
MX Blue      MX Blue       SSK '88

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 22:45:53 »
One thing I noticed (and like) about No-IP is this comment on their site:

always free

Our users trust in us and you will never have to worry about us discontinuing our free dynamic DNS service. We love free stuff!

Offline physicsmajor

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 18:39:43 »
Watching this thread for current and future insights. I remember the days of DynDNS...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 18:59:48 »
I received a welcome email from NoIP inviting me to take part in a survey, which I did (I don't mind spending a minute to provide feedback for a free service).

Apart from that apparently there is a code you need to enter somewhere once a month to keep the free hostname active (haven't been there for a month yet).

Otherwise all good!

Offline luisbg

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 00:50:33 »
I received a welcome email from NoIP inviting me to take part in a survey, which I did (I don't mind spending a minute to provide feedback for a free service).

Apart from that apparently there is a code you need to enter somewhere once a month to keep the free hostname active (haven't been there for a month yet).

Otherwise all good!

Still using it? What is your experience so far?

My Dyndns run out a week ago.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 00:52:16 »

Yes, still using it.  The first month has not passed yet, so I haven't seen what hoops have to be jumped through to maintain my free account.

The server daemon is working flawlessly.

No complaints so far :)

Offline luisbg

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 01:00:13 »

Yes, still using it.  The first month has not passed yet, so I haven't seen what hoops have to be jumped through to maintain my free account.

The server daemon is working flawlessly.

No complaints so far :)

Awesome. Let me know how it goes since I will update my home server soon.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 04:45:45 »
A couple of months later everything has been going very well with no-ip.  The daemon on my server regularly updates my IP address when it changes, and I have not had to reactivate anything.

Until Microsoft.

Apparently Microsoft secretly seized many domains belonging to no-ip, including the one that I was using.

It was finally resolved, with no-ip's summary here: http://www.noip.com/blog/2014/07/10/microsoft-takedown-details-updates/

So no-ip is recommended, and once again Microsoft is not.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 10:59:55 »
Yeah I heard about that a week or two ago. Glad it got solved. That was a pretty overreaching move on microsofts side.

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 02:46:53 »
I have used freedns.afraid.org for a really long time now. I just registered the domain once ( about 2 years ago) and I have never ever gotten an email telling me that it will expire. Not having any problems what so ever either.

Not tried anything else because this suits my needs.
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 03:12:52 »
I have used freedns.afraid.org for a really long time now. I just registered the domain once ( about 2 years ago) and I have never ever gotten an email telling me that it will expire. Not having any problems what so ever either.

Not tried anything else because this suits my needs.

Haven't heard of that one before - another one to add to the list in case anyone else is looking for similar.

For now I am happy with noip, but thanks for sharing! :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 19:43:12 »
An update!

I had my first reminder to confirm my hostname or it would be deleted!

I think my phone line has been more stable recently, and the connection hasn't dropped out for a while, so I must have had the same IP address for 30 days (a new record).

The email notification from no-ip gave me 7 days to confirm the host name, or they will delete it.  Clicking the link in the email went to a page where I was offered their basic paid service ($35 for 2 years or something), or a second button to continue with the free service.  I elected to continue with the free service, and the next page gave me a recaptcha to confirm, and another button.

That's it.

All done for another 30 days (unless my connection drops during the meanwhile and I end up with a different IP address).

Offline jamster

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 00:40:22 »
Been using no-ip.com for a couple years. Reliable. Free.

You do get monthly emails telling to to re-sign up, but that takes about 10 seconds.

Offline cheebs

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 09:15:18 »

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 09:32:39 »
You can use duckdns

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 17:34:43 »
http://xip.io

Ironically I cannot load this page as the DNS lookup fails.