Author Topic: cheap cherry POS boards on eBay  (Read 22135 times)

Offline phoenix1234

Re: cheap cherry POS boards on eBay
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:07:08 »
Wish they were jumpers :/

unlikely because they have 1.25 modifiers, 6.25 off-stem space bar, Re-Legendable Keycap and a partially-programmable keymap. Likely, they will have diodes instead which are better IMO.
I like linear switches

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:07:23 »
like those blank wires?
Yeah. Blank wires=jumpers
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:09:42 »
this one looks similar like this :

http://mykeyboard.co.uk/cherry/mx_8100/

Diodes
I like linear switches

Offline yuiop

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:11:24 »
You can use all the 2x stabs.  But the 6.2x spacebar wire is bent thus can't be used on a keyboard with plate.  You'd need to bend your own straight wire for the spacebar.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:12:15 »

unlikely because they have 1.25 modifiers, 6.25 off-stem space bar, Re-Legendable Keycap and a partially-programmable keymap. Likely, they will have diodes instead which are better IMO.

I just have an older cherry board I'm trying to fix up. :D

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:24:34 »

I just have an older cherry board I'm trying to fix up. :D
Oh, I see, but I think these jumpers can be found easily because a lot of people will not use jumpers after they desolder keyswitches from donor boards.
I like linear switches

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 22:46:46 »
damn you geekhack!

I bought 2.

I paid $53.90 for 110 clears a few months ago. But those I don't have to desolder to use elsewhere...

desoldering is half the fun!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:09:11 »
damn you geekhack!

I bought 2.

I paid $53.90 for 110 clears a few months ago. But those I don't have to desolder to use elsewhere...

i just have to keep reminding myself not to touch the cleanout rod after using it with the 808

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:10:48 »
damn you geekhack!

I bought 2.

not with radioshack desold iron

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:34:45 »
damn you geekhack!

I bought 2.

I have desoldered and de-dioded a cherry board like this. Even with an 808, it's still a giant pain. Probably why I have another one sitting in the corner right now that I have not got around to...
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:48:21 »
damn you geekhack!

I bought 2.

I have desoldered and de-dioded a cherry board like this. Even with an 808, it's still a giant pain. Probably why I have another one sitting in the corner right now that I have not got around to...

I've done like 8 or 10, with the 808 and soldapullt. Good to do when watching tv.

I recommend jumpers or diodes to stabilize the switch better for PCB mount. Cherry uses them for a reason.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:51:05 by dorkvader »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 23:52:24 »
damn you geekhack!

I bought 2.

I've done like 8 or 10, with the 808 and soldapullt. Good to do when watching tv.

I recommend jumpers or diodes to stabilize the switch better for PCB mount. Cherry uses them for a reason.

but den no LEDs :'(

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 00:00:06 »
damn you geekhack!

I bought 2.

agreed, but if the board you want to use them on doesn't support in switch diodes, then you have to remove them. It's the combination of opening the switch to remove the diodes as well as desoldering all those little legs that I found tedious. But as an added bonus, you can reuse the diodes for something like a phantom.

It probably doesn't help that I did this while wearing this stupid brace on my left hand which prevents me from using my left thumb. Made opening the switches difficult. That's what I get for severing my tendon... oops

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 00:02:08 »

LEDs are a type of diode. I didn't exclude them...

It probably doesn't help that I did this while wearing this stupid brace on my left hand which prevents me from using my left thumb. Made opening the switches difficult. That's what I get for severing my tendon... oops

Show Image

Lookin' good! heal up soon.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 00:03:52 »

LEDs are a type of diode. I didn't exclude them...

oh yea :-X light emitting diode

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 13:22:37 »
Received my 2 keyboards, both are very dirty and lots of dust bunnies inside and around switches. I have desoldered one board and after taking the switch apart and blowing compressed air inside and out the switch looks good. There wasn't any grainy dirt in the switch to make them useless but they are very dusty.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 April 2014, 14:22:48 by Thechemist »

Offline nomaded

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 15:35:00 »
Maybe there's a better place to discuss this, so feel free to point me appropriately.

I also bought one of these keyboards, hoping to desolder the switches and reuse the keycaps. I can't remember the last time I desoldered anything of this magnitude. So, what's the suggested tools to make this easier?

Based on what I'm reading in this thread, if I wanted to reuse these switches with an Ergodox, I would need to also open up each switch to remove the diode, correct?
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 15:42:44 »
That fast :eek:

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 15:52:32 »
Maybe there's a better place to discuss this, so feel free to point me appropriately.

I also bought one of these keyboards, hoping to desolder the switches and reuse the keycaps. I can't remember the last time I desoldered anything of this magnitude. So, what's the suggested tools to make this easier?

Based on what I'm reading in this thread, if I wanted to reuse these switches with an Ergodox, I would need to also open up each switch to remove the diode, correct?

Many people use the bulb type desoldering iron from radio Shack. It's like $13. It works but it's a lot of effort. I have graduated to hakko 808 and it is amazing, but expensive @$175 new I think. I justified it because I had like 50 boards to desolder. I guess you could also use a soldapult, but that seems like a lot of work to me too. Can't answer about ergodox, sorry.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 16:04:30 »
I bought a couple of the cheap spring-loaded solder suckers on ebay. It was like $6-8 for 2 and they work pretty well, although don't expect one to last more than about 5 boards at most.

The rubber bulbs work better but are harder to use, especially if your left hand is not fairly strong.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:39:49 »
Just got mine in the mail today. It indeed has clears :D. I'm pretty excited to get cheap clears and stabilizers. And apparently I can take this sticker off and transfer it?

I also got this 30 day money back guarantee thing from J&R Music....thought that was extra weird since J&R doesn't really have anything good keyboard-wise in their showroom.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:43:01 »
If anyone would be up for selling the stabs off their board hit me up!

Offline legodt

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 18:39:28 »
Anybody else have a slight pinging sound when they bottom out on the board?
Also, why do the keys feel kind of mushy compared to my cherry browns?

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 19:11:27 »
If anyone doesn't want the Cherry sticker, drop me a pm!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 19:15:51 »
My four arrived (two for me and two for another GH'er)

One is a different cherry partnumber and is a little different inside, though the switch PCB is the same. it's also a little newer. You can tell by the coloured plugs.

Pictures are uploading now.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:56:32 »
How could I miss this :'(

Well the caps are interesting since they're lasered but use Cherry font, damn, 50 pcs and I just missed this, how in the hell :'(
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 08:43:15 »
How could I miss this :'(

Well the caps are interesting since they're lasered but use Cherry font, damn, 50 pcs and I just missed this, how in the hell :'(

There's nothing special about the caps. They're not that high quality. What I like about them is that they're PBT, light colored, and therefore dye-able. You don't have to live with that color if you don't want to!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 10:25:36 »

I bought an old WYSE terminal board with plate mounted vintage blacks in it the other day. I used my Weller WES50 along with this Soldapullt solder sucker and was able to completely remove all 101 switches in just under an hour. Put a dab of solder on the tip of your iron, touch it to the solder joint until it becomes liquid, put the solder sucker over it and hit the button. That solder sucker gets nearly every drop of solder out of the joint 98% of the time. Its pretty easy stuff, just tedious.

I didn't realize when I bought one that these were PCB mounted components. Im not sure what Im going to do with mine yet, though my initial inclination is to rip out all the good parts (switches, stabs, caps, and sticker) and sell them to try to recover my costs. I don't currently own any boards that are PCB mount and I don't know if I ever will.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 11:03:16 »

I bought an old WYSE terminal board with plate mounted vintage blacks in it the other day. I used my Weller WES50 along with this Soldapullt solder sucker and was able to completely remove all 101 switches in just under an hour. Put a dab of solder on the tip of your iron, touch it to the solder joint until it becomes liquid, put the solder sucker over it and hit the button. That solder sucker gets nearly every drop of solder out of the joint 98% of the time. Its pretty easy stuff, just tedious.

I didn't realize when I bought one that these were PCB mounted components. Im not sure what Im going to do with mine yet, though my initial inclination is to rip out all the good parts (switches, stabs, caps, and sticker) and sell them to try to recover my costs. I don't currently own any boards that are PCB mount and I don't know if I ever will.

You know you can just clip the plastic legs off the bottom of pcb mount switches and they are identical to plate mount. I use  nail clippers, takes two seconds.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:02:49 »

You know you can just clip the plastic legs off the bottom of pcb mount switches and they are identical to plate mount. I use  nail clippers, takes two seconds.

I know, I had to do that for the cherry clears I used on my phantom. Since I already have way more switches than I have keyboards I would almost rather sell them to someone who might need/want PCB the mount housings. I havent decided yet, though they might be nice to keep around in case I ever build an ergodox or a JD40  ;)

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline nomaded

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 20:45:15 »

Thanks. Very useful tips.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:29:03 »
WYSE likes to bend over the lead before solderin,g which makes them a pain to desolder compared with other techniques. I think I ended up doing my last one with braid.

Here's another G80-8113, this time with a barcode reader. Starting bid $20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221420325054

Offline Grr8

• Quack!
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 02:52:55 »
damn you geekhack!

I bought 2.

not with radioshack desold iron

Ok, not sure if you are saying the RadioShack desoldering iron is good or bad?

Read a discussion here, and it sounds mixed:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13236

My experience of desoldering lead-free solder has been that it's a good idea to add some extra leaded solder first, then flow it again to get it off (I used wick).
Daily Driver: Poker II Backlit (Ducky Mini-fied) + Amazon o-rings. Future daily driver IBM AT Model F (restoring now). For fun: IBM SSK 1397681 (NIB), IBM SSK 1391472, IBM Industrial 101 Square label 1388032, IBM Industrial 101 Black label 1394946, IBM 1391401 (bolt-modding now), IBM 1370477, IBM 42H1292 (USA), IBM 52G9700 IBM, and more....
More
Ducky Shine w/Blues + WASD o-rings, Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/Browns + ebay o-rings, Rosewill RK-9100 w/Blues, Apple Wireless (slim), Apple Wireless White A1016, Apple Extended II ADB. Next? HHKB2Pro?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 09:00:47 »
WYSE likes to bend over the lead before solderin,g which makes them a pain to desolder compared with other techniques. I think I ended up doing my last one with braid.

Here's another G80-8113, this time with a barcode reader. Starting bid $20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221420325054

On the WYSE board I had, they bent over the thicker pin on maybe 12-13 switches and those were spread out across the whole board. When I removed those switches, I just used the tip of my soldering iron to slightly un-bend it before using the solder sucker. It was a definite PITA but those vintage blacks made it all worthwhile ... so ridiculously smooth.

I wonder what their reason was for bending those pins like that?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 13:19:59 »

On the WYSE board I had, they bent over the thicker pin on maybe 12-13 switches and those were spread out across the whole board. When I removed those switches, I just used the tip of my soldering iron to slightly un-bend it before using the solder sucker. It was a definite PITA but those vintage blacks made it all worthwhile ... so ridiculously smooth.

I wonder what their reason was for bending those pins like that?
it holds the board together. At first I asked the same question: why would they do that? Then, when I accidentally soldered a PCB on crooked, I realized.

Offline Boost3r

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 11:29:32 »
It's been re-listed if anyone is still interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181388671694

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:08:56 »
Somebody with a good desoldering iron wanna run a pseduo GB for these and desolder 50 boards?

Offline ebacho

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:50:32 »
Somebody with a good desoldering iron wanna run a pseduo GB for these and desolder 50 boards?

Nobody in their right mind would do this for free.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 18:11:08 »

So, the switches would need to sell in the $0.50-0.85 each, shipped, range to make it worthwhile?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ebacho

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 18:18:55 »

So, the switches would need to sell in the $0.50-0.85 each, shipped, range to make it worthwhile?

Pretty much.  Unless you're some sort of desoldering god 50 boards will take a fair amount of time.  Add in the fact you can get new clears for .50c per at MKB and it's less of a good deal.  These boards are good for people who want to practice desoldering and get some parts out of it, the way I see it.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 18:38:57 »
More put up right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181388671694
I was thinking about getting one to try clears, but could always resell if it's not for me.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 19:04:40 »
Warning before you guys impulse buy.

Mine came and it's got brown switches.  It seems like the seller has mixture of brown and clear boards and didn't bother checking all the boards before posting.  It's still a good deal if you like browns.

Offline marcusant

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 19:13:03 »
Here's some pictures of mine that I got. Turns out that I don't really like clears as much as I thought that I would, so I'm not going to harvest them. I already spent several hours cleaning the board so I'm just going to keep it as a collectible.

http://imgur.com/a/qcvpr

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 19:32:44 »
Here's some pictures of mine that I got. Turns out that I don't really like clears as much as I thought that I would, so I'm not going to harvest them. I already spent several hours cleaning the board so I'm just going to keep it as a collectible.

By what method did you clean up the PCB?

Offline marcusant

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 19:35:20 »

By what method did you clean up the PCB?

It really wasn't as dirty as it seemed, it was pretty much dust covering a perfectly clean pcb. I cleaned off the dust with a q-tip and then blew off excess dirt with compressed air; after the dust was gone I rubbed it down with isopropyl alcohol.

Offline sonic_the_hedgehog

• That's a fast hedgehog...
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:53:42 »
Yo!

Thx for pointing these out OP.

Wondering if anyone can help me out:

Firstly, I'm in Australia and apparently he won't ship int'l.
Secondly, I have a number of keyboards with MX Browns, I really only want one to try out MX Clears.

Did anyone grab a couple and get clears when they wanted browns or buy one for a mate who backed out or something? And could you sell it to me and post international?

Gets a bit annoying when all the good gear on eBay US won't post to Australia  :))
IBM Model M | Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns) | Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 (Reds) | Old School AT Mechs | Old School XT Mech | Old School Japanese XT Mech  (Details / Pics Coming Soon :D)

Offline sockit2me

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 22:02:47 »
Great find! Too bad this didnt come sooner before i bought 110 of them for 60 =(

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 22:11:55 »

Pretty much.  Unless you're some sort of desoldering god 50 boards will take a fair amount of time.  Add in the fact you can get new clears for .50c per at MKB and it's less of a good deal.  These boards are good for people who want to practice desoldering and get some parts out of it, the way I see it.

could be done cheaply with a large temperature controlled oven, I think the switches would survive.

heres pictures of some of the ones I got in https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vader/sets/72157644207227575/

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 22:16:59 »
If I get browns I'm going to be so irritated. >:|

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 22:27:29 »