Author Topic: Improving "Spy on the latest posts/Show new replies to your posts"?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but for frequent posters/lurkers that use the Spy/new replies feature frequently, the threads always start off at the very beginning post, even if we've read it before. On other forums, clicking on threads that you have already viewed before would automatically jump to the last viewed post, (and if you've viewed all the posts, it'll jump to the last post). Would this type of forum feature be possible, or is there a limitation in SMF? Thanks in advance!
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
Re: Improving "Spy on the latest posts/Show new replies to your posts"?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 13:58:45 »
I just wanted to ask the same right now. It would be great when using the spy that you are directly redirected to the latest post and not the first one.
... ...

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 14:00:23 »
I just wanted to ask the same right now. It would be great when using the spy that you are directly redirected to the latest post and not the first one.
There a little icon to the far left that does that already. It looks like this:

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 14:29:44 »
Oh my, sorry, now i see it. It was not... uh ah... that must be new right NOW.
... ...

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 14:38:10 »
That icon only works half of the time for me. It doesnt show me the latest post it shows me the last post ive seen if Ive seen the thread before. Arguably better.. but some would want to just skip to the end.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:46:02 »
That icon only works half of the time for me. It doesnt show me the latest post it shows me the last post ive seen if Ive seen the thread before. Arguably better.. but some would want to just skip to the end.

But in a thread that you're actively following and want to see all the posts, sending straight the your last read post is the best option.  And from there, if you want to go to the last page it's a simple click to the last page and scroll to the bottom. 

On the other hand, if the default was to go to the last post I would get really frustrated because I like to read all the posts in the threads I follow, so there wouldn't be an easy way for me to do that.

And of course, adding another button to do what you'd like might work, but seems like it would get cluttered with extra buttons and would be even more confusing.   :-\  I do see where you're coming from though.

Show Image

Heh.  It took me wayyy longer than I'd like to admit to realize that this button existed...   :-[   I came very close to making a thread very similar to this one, and right before I did I discovered that button.   :))

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 17:14:43 »
Show Image

How have I never seen that button?!!!
Mods must have ninja-added it in after I made this thread a couple months ago.  :))
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I've been using that icon for like a year and a half. It's always been there AFAIK.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
I've been using that icon for like a year and a half. It's always been there AFAIK.

It has.  It's just not suuuuuper obvious.   >:D

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking

It has.  It's just not suuuuuper obvious.   >:D
You're right, Icons should only be used if they are very obvious - Like thumbs down for something you dislike.

In this case the text "Latest Post ->" or something similar would be better.