Author Topic: Classifieds: separate threads for WTB and WTS?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
Classifieds: separate threads for WTB and WTS?
« on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 13:11:23 »
Just some thoughts:

Is it just me or are WTB threads pointless? Or... are they just a lot more pointless than WTS threads?

And the funny thing is, it seems like WTB threads vastly outnumber WTS threads.

Is there any sense in the notion of distinct WTS, WTB areas in "Classifieds" a la:

Classified:WTS
and
Classified: WTB

??

Cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline divito

Re: Classifieds: separate threads for WTB and WTS?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 21:39:35 »
As a post I just added to the upcoming changes to classified thread:

To clean up the classifieds sub-forum, an easy idea would be to maintain it like the vendor forum, with child boards for WTS, WTB, WTT etc... This will allow people with certain motivations to avoid sifting through thread titles to find what they want. If I'm looking to only see what people are selling, I can go to the one child board for WTS, and avoid threads of people looking for things or desiring trades.

A potential downside is one user having to maintain several threads instead of one, but I feel the user experience for other members and cleanliness of this method outweighs that downside.

My other main irk with the classifieds sub-forum relates to utilizing old threads for new items. You end up with multi-page threads with content unrelated to the subsequent new items that people have added to their thread. Rather than deleting the threads, I have to read the update dates, as well as sift through posts to see when the most current questions/answers begin. Some of the time, as mentioned previously in this thread, you have old sell threads bumped for strictly discussion that can take place in other areas.

A way to avoid such an instance is to cap time a thread can stay open. Let's say all classified threads have a 30-day limit, then they're deleted. If you don't sell all your items, or have new ones to add after the time period, you must re-list; not unlike some websites for classifieds or eBay.

Very similar idea to what you posted and something I've been thinking about for some time.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:49:32 »
I agree definitely seems like the logical choice.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 00:37:29 »
That seems like an overly-complex solution to this issue. Instead, consider using a pull-down or selector with 'WTB, WTS' etc to sort through posts. Each post would require a using wtb, wts, etc. when posting.

You then simply sort or 'only show' wts, wtb and whatnot at the top. Having even more forums just to attempt to clean up the classifieds isn't solving the problem of too much information all over the place.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 00:41:34 »
That would be wonderful, Bro Caps, but we have some programming limitations at the moment, which you could discuss directly with those who do the site programming.  Have to do with what we have for now, so to say.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 00:44:02 »
That would be wonderful, Bro Caps, but we have some programming limitations at the moment, which you could discuss directly with those who do the site programming.  Have to do with what we have for now, so to say.

I believe this can be done purely with CSS in terms of the sorting functionality. Adding a required 'WTS' or 'WTB' before each post, well I don't know about the DB on SMF, but if that is possible, then the rest is ez-pz. :D

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 01:57:59 »
Cool! Glad to know this one struck a chord.

IMHO, WTB threads out here (because this is totally a seller's market) are primarily "Wish Lists." The only time I've used a WTB thread was when I was shopping for my Secret Santa: I went looking for my SS' WTB thread and can't remember if I found one or if I even used it, but I do remember looking for it.

Cheers & Thanks for all the work you guys do!!!

:thumb: :thumb:
K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 15:50:20 »
Not sure if these would be useful, they may be too big for icons?

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 16:35:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

Would be nice if there was a way to sort them though.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 16:40:18 »
Without sorting, I don't think it makes a difference whether there are custom icons or not.  Title abbreviations are still going to be telling.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 19:15:22 »

Show Image

Show Image

Too similar. I prefer FS (For Sale) instead of WTS.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 20:35:19 »
I came in here to post this exact thread. +1000

Show Image

Show Image

Too similar. I prefer FS (For Sale) instead of WTS.

Agreed. The whole "WTS" trend really makes the classifieds difficult to navigate.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 20:41:55 »
+1million

Also tired of seeing the same WTB threads bumped so often. Just clutters up the classifieds.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 22:43:07 »
It'd be nice if you could just filter, maybe via checkboxes, for Wanted, For Sale, For Trade, etc.  That keeps all the ads in the same Classified forum, but you can hide or unselect the options you don't have any interest in.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 21:29:19 »
WTB threads should be restricted from bumping.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 22:00:41 »

That makes zero sense

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 22:08:29 »

That makes zero sense
Eh, I'm starting to agree. If somebody wants to sell something, they can either make a WTS thread, or search the classifieds for a WTB relevant to what they're trying to sell.

Bumping WTB threads every day doesn't really help anyone. For them to be effective, they would have to be bumped at the same time that somebody with said item was browsing the classifieds, otherwise they won't see it.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 22:10:09 »
i think people will just skip you thread if you are selling not anything...

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 22:30:34 »
That seems like an overly-complex solution to this issue. Instead, consider using a pull-down or selector with 'WTB, WTS' etc to sort through posts. Each post would require a using wtb, wts, etc. when posting.

You then simply sort or 'only show' wts, wtb and whatnot at the top. Having even more forums just to attempt to clean up the classifieds isn't solving the problem of too much information all over the place.

I think a filtering system is the right move. Having more subforums would work but I think a filtering system is a much more elegant solution.

I also sincerely hate the threads that get reused for wtb/wts. You end up with 5 pages of garbage that are entirely useless to the items currently being discussed.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 22:43:03 »
I look to head-fi for a good example of a well-designed marketplace. I've used their classifieds section many a time and it has been a breeze.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 06:09:41 »
I look to head-fi for a good example of a well-designed marketplace. I've used their classifieds section many a time and it has been a breeze.

Show Image

Absolutely in agreement.  I do understand that the underlying forum software may well be different, but I'd hope the GH team can look at incorporating some of these features into the Classifieds section.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 May 2014, 06:45:28 »

Good idea, but I think to achieve this goal (sort/only show/search/category), GH may need to implement a selection box whenever users post something to create a new thread. That selection box is classified as page type and it will have fixed text like WTB/WTS/IC/Group Buy/...whatever type that GH already had and future type.
Something like this :
65109-0
I like linear switches