Author Topic: Blizzard Heroes of the Storm Alpha  (Read 7737 times)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Blizzard Heroes of the Storm Alpha
« on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:20:09 »
Who else got in?

Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Re: Blizzard Heroes of the Storm Alpha
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 22:01:06 »
I'm jealous ... actually I'm not that jealous  :))

Edit: Oh god.
They went league of legends style, have to purchase heroes with in game gold or real money.
Free weekly rotation.
Ugh.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 March 2014, 22:11:29 by the1onewolf »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 22:10:25 »
:(

Offline missalaire

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 22:12:03 »

They went league of legends style, have to purchase heroes with in game gold or real money.
Free weekly rotation.
Ugh.

Well, considering how popular and successful League of Legends is... not entirely surprised.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 22:14:47 »
grats on getting in  :cool: :cool:, i've been signed up pretty much since they let you opt in for it but I didn't get an invite, please let us know what you think.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 22:21:16 »

Free weekly rotation.
Ugh.

Well, considering how popular and successful League of Legends is... not entirely surprised.

Yep that's true.
I was hoping they'd go the DOTA route and just charge for cosmetics.

MOBA games are already very cringeworthy sometimes.
I hate the added bonus of having to cringe everytime somebody picks a free hero and then 9/10 times feeding with that hero.

Let us know how you like the new mechanics!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 23:47:09 »
There are some streams on twitch right now if anyone wants to check it out.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 23:49:15 »
I'll stream it sometime if I get a good session going with guildies maybe.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 01:51:48 »
Damn, I am jealous too :)

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 06:39:15 »
 :'(
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 06:43:37 »
Wow considering I've gotten in every first batch of beta invites so far I feel betrayed by Blizz not getting into this one :(
Stream it please! want to see a non bias overall review on it.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 06:47:55 »

Free weekly rotation.
Ugh.

hahaha... HAHAHAAHAHA

> needs to compete with LoL and Dota2
> makes a simplified LoL clone
> ??
> profit!
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 March 2014, 07:01:04 by baldgye »

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 10:17:50 »
> clone
> ??
> profit!
And here's a bunch of other games
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 10:27:41 »

Free weekly rotation.
Ugh.

Yep that's true.

I hate the added bonus of having to cringe everytime somebody picks a free hero and then 9/10 times feeding with that hero.

just to say you realize Valve loses $$ on DOTA right?
They don't make enough $$ to sustain the game.  Yes the cosmetics and what not helped to fund the international prize pool, but to run the servers and all that jazz, Valve def loses $$ on it.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 10:30:27 »
I iz /jelly.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 10:39:17 »

Free weekly rotation.
Ugh.

Yep that's true.

They don't make enough $$ to sustain the game.  Yes the cosmetics and what not helped to fund the international prize pool, but to run the servers and all that jazz, Valve def loses $$ on it.
You can't be serious... Dota is the most played game on steam by far, that speaks for itself free to play or not...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 11:04:21 »

Free weekly rotation.
Ugh.

Yep that's true.

I'm pretty sure Valve dsnt and has never spoken openly about how much money it makes...

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 11:13:12 »

Free weekly rotation.
Ugh.

Yep that's true.

You can't be serious... Dota is the most played game on steam by far, that speaks for itself free to play or not...
TF2 is Valve's Money maker.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/22/doat-2-made-around-80-million-in-microtransaction-revenues-in-2013-according-to-analyst-firm/
estimates valve made 80 mil in revenue off microtransactions of DOTA2.
I'd estimate the actual profit after server expenses, payout to marketplace creators, tournament, etc isn't that high.

Valve views DOTA as not a profit machine, but a way to sell consumers to Steam.  They give you DOTA to play for free, getting rid of the image that Steam is only for FPS games (CS, TF2, etc).

So thats why I personally don't think Valve actually makes any $$ if not loses $$ off of DOTA, as of right now anyway.   there are tons of players that don't spend any $$ on cosmetic upgrades.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 11:16:10 »
Yeah I didn't think they gave out any official figures.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 11:21:37 »
Yeah I didn't think they gave out any official figures.

they don't because they're a private company.
Its not hard to estimate the sales though.

I'm not saying its "wrong" to do a MOBA like Valve is with DOTA, its actually refreshing and nice.  But the fact is Riot's model right now outprofits Valve's DOTA model.
again, valve cares more that its customers that play Dota start up steam and see "oh look so and so game is on sale for $5.00, lets buy it" than buying the Bastion voicepack for DOTA. ( though that voicepack kicks ass lol )

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 11:42:47 »
Either way people heard about Steam from Dota or the other way around it's a win-win situation for Valve, I can say one thing that they aren't investing in it blindly..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 12:38:32 »
$8 for a hero and $15 for a skin. and mounts are separate

I'm sticking to DotA, thanks
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline missalaire

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 13:38:18 »

Doesn't mean that figure is set in stone lol. Just sayin. Its a technical alpha, lots of things can change before they roll out the launch version of this game.

Offline Exroath

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 13:41:25 »
Blizz Y U HATE EU !!!
LETS US INS!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 13:42:59 »

Doesn't mean that figure is set in stone lol. Just sayin. Its a technical alpha, lots of things can change before they roll out the launch version of this game.

And expect a 5 years "beta" where you can buy stuff with real money during the Beta (aka Heartsone). Who the **** ask players to pay for a Beta? Blizzard did lol. I am not necessarily against it as long as you keep what you pay for when it's not beta anymore, but still, I consider a game should reset to 0 after a Beta so that's in opposition one to another.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Exroath

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 13:44:56 »

And expect a 5 years "beta" where you can buy stuff with real money during the Beta (aka Heartsone). Who the **** ask players to pay for a Beta? Blizzard did lol. I am not necessarily against it as long as you keep what you pay for when it's not beta anymore, but still, I consider a game should reset to 0 after a Beta so that's in opposition one to another.

If they change prices or do massive changes they do refund with ingame currency, HS for example if you paid anything they gave you it back when they wiped the game.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 13:53:55 »
I have to say, I really do like there unique art style... really makes it stand out

Offline JPG

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 13:56:53 »

If they change prices or do massive changes they do refund with ingame currency, HS for example if you paid anything they gave you it back when they wiped the game.

I am not against game makers to make money. And I like Blizzard. But I consider that it takes a lot of guts to dare ask player to pay real money during a Beta. A Beta is, after all, a way to ask people to test their game for free in exchange to the opportunity to try the game before the real lunch. If it was not Blizzard, probably that nobody would have paid 1$ for a Beta game. But because it's Blizzard, people did. And probably massively. It's a changing industry and the companies must change their way of making money, but paying for a Beta is still above me. And I am not mad, just amazed that they dared to it and that it worked.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 13:59:46 »
I am not against game makers to make money. And I like Blizzard. But I consider that it takes a lot of guts to dare ask player to pay real money during a Beta.

Apparentally its an Alpha... which tbf is a lie... how it can still be in Alpha after all this time..

Offline JPG

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:05:55 »
I am not against game makers to make money. And I like Blizzard. But I consider that it takes a lot of guts to dare ask player to pay real money during a Beta.

Apparentally its an Alpha... which tbf is a lie... how it can still be in Alpha after all this time..

I think that a lot of people get excited because they are chosen for the Beta's these days (myself included) and game makers are now using this wave of enthusiasm.

Saying it's an alpha, is the same as saying: Here's the chance to get in BEFORE THE BETA. Get HYPER. #hypetrain101.

Their marketing department is genius.

The only thing that is bad is that I think that the Alpha/Beta is taking soooooo long that the launch itself is under the radar. In a way, if the game has been live for a year, wtff is the launch for!

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:24:48 »

im honestly asking this, were you able to purchase stuff in DOTA2 before July 2013?
Because that was officially when DOTA2 was off beta.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:27:56 »

I am not against game makers to make money. And I like Blizzard. But I consider that it takes a lot of guts to dare ask player to pay real money during a Beta. A Beta is, after all, a way to ask people to test their game for free in exchange to the opportunity to try the game before the real lunch. If it was not Blizzard, probably that nobody would have paid 1$ for a Beta game. But because it's Blizzard, people did. And probably massively. It's a changing industry and the companies must change their way of making money, but paying for a Beta is still above me. And I am not mad, just amazed that they dared to it and that it worked.

i point you to Steam Early Access

Examples would be Day Z, War Z (or whatever its called now), Rust, Starbound  to name a few

Offline JPG

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:30:02 »

i point you to Steam Early Access

Examples would be Day Z, War Z (or whatever its called now), Rust, Starbound  to name a few

Or I am just an old school gamer...

Offline missalaire

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:32:32 »

They are opening monetary transactions to test the transaction system... you get the money you paid during alpha back in your Blizzard account after its over. You guys should really read before assuming.

Offline JPG

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:38:33 »

They are opening monetary transactions to test the transaction system... you get the money you paid during alpha back in your Blizzard account after its over. You guys should really read before assuming.

Can you get it back into you real wallet or it stays on you Blizzard Wallet until spent with Blizzard goodies?

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 14:46:34 »

Can you get it back into you real wallet or it stays on you Blizzard Wallet until spent with Blizzard goodies?

stays on your blizzard account.  But honestly if you don't wanna pay real money, you don't have to.
You can get like 300-500gold a day doing the daily quests i believe.

I dunno, i haven't gotten access to the Alpha yet.  Its not even a Beta right now lol.
And regards to hearthstone, I bought 1 pack for like $3.00 just so I could get the gold gnome card haha.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 23:25:03 »

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 06:13:26 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 07:10:30 »
Watching giantbomb's quick look thing of it now... It seems like it might actually be alright (from the pov of someone who dsnt play or care to learn how to play moba's)... But Brad dsnt seem to like it much at all!

Offline missalaire

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 07:30:41 »
Streaming

http://www.twitch.tv/missalaire
Damn timezones, I would've watched...

Eh, don't worry, it crashed like 3/4 of the way through the game. Need to fix some things next time I try to stream it.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 11:29:36 »
If anyone got in the Alpha and doesn't think they'll play it, I would be more than happy to test it for you  :-*

Offline boradori007

• I'm trippin bear balls.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 15:11:02 »
where is my invite blizzard!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 18:15:12 »
Got an invite.

Really feels too stupid to me. I guess that's just the dota player in me saying "it's not dota, you should hate it"

also holy **** them hero prices are crazy. People actually pay for that??
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 05:56:59 »
Yeah I've heard a lot of dota/lol players thinking it's neat and then never playing it again due to it's simplicity and seeming lack of depth and variety... Seems like bad times if the moba guys are 'meh' on it...

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:21:46 »
Definitly looks like a LoL ripoff, and the graphics seem to be worse than LoL.

Hopefully they do a few more updates before release.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 11:23:42 »

It's alpha... as in, not even beta yet. Of course the game is going to change before release. I don't know why people are calling it a LoL ripoff, it's not as if LoL was an original idea -- it is based entirely on the premise of another game (DotA), which was a mod of a blizzard property. Seems like it has come full circle, if anything.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline missalaire

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 11:43:39 »

You are delusional and LoL wasn't even the first MOBA out there. The game plays plenty different from LoL too.

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 11:49:09 »

You are delusional and LoL wasn't even the first MOBA out there. The game plays plenty different from LoL too.

Could be just the streams I was watching then, and I knew it wasn't the first MOBA out there, I don't even think LoL has good graphics.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline missalaire

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 12:01:10 »

Could be just the streams I was watching then, and I knew it wasn't the first MOBA out there, I don't even think LoL has good graphics.

LoL doesn't have amazing graphics for sure, but Blizzard Heroes of the Storm's graphics are definitely better than LoL...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 12:24:04 »
I still think the coolest looking Moba's was Demigod.. **** was cool looking