Author Topic: Facebook buys Oculus VR  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Facebook buys Oculus VR
« on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:06:44 »
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/facebook-buys-virtual-reality-oculus-2b-23057463

pls no butthurt

I've heard nothing but "sellout!" about this all day, when I think that this is a great opportunity for VR. $2B is a huge number, and think of the things that Oculus can do with that money.

And as always, nobody is making you buy it, so why are you complaining?

Oh, and you should see the kneejerk reaction by reddit /r/oculus. It's the funniest thing I've read in weeks.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Facebook buys Oculus VR
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:15:27 »
good choice

everybody should learn from jerry yang who didn't sell yahoo to microsoft

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:16:47 »
virtual friends :eek: my life can be complete :D :P

Offline Belfong

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:28:01 »
So gaming-engine God Carmack now works for Zuckerberg? Interesting!!

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:37:09 »
$2B is a huge number
80% of that is in Facebook stock, it can worth much less if nothing in a couple of years.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:40:05 »
So gaming-engine God Carmack now works for Zuckerberg? Interesting!!

That was my first thought.  Wonder how long he will stay there for.

Plus, is it likely that you will need a Facebook account in order to use Oculus Rift?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 23:08:43 »
2B for oculus

20B for whatsapp

lololololololol
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 23:31:24 »
It's an odd acquisition for sure. VR, specifically Oculus Rift, targets the hardcore gamer market segment; a segment Facebook isn't prominent in in any meaningful way. Maybe Facebook is diversifying in the face of an inability to produce consistent, growing revenue from its principal operations (i.e. the Facebook website itself)?
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 March 2014, 23:33:20 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:00:46 »
Perhaps facebook saw some opportune puns that would result from buying Oculus...

*COUGH* BEWARE OF CHEESE *COUGH*

First we revolutionized the way you saw yours and others' faces..
Now we revolutionize the way you see through your eyes.

Let's hope this doesn't lead to some sort of premium membership a la facebook game payments.

Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:04:34 »
I don't blame them for selling out at that price, but they still sold out and **** all over their backers. If they had any shred of decency left, VR would refund the Kickstarter and dev kit funds.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:21:44 »
I can't figure out how Oculus Rift got so popular or why Facebook paid 2 billion for it.  The concept and prototypes have existed 20+ years.  I remember a documentary on them a long time ago.  It looked just like Oculus Rift and let someone look around inside a very crude building.  If Facebook wanted to do a VR headset, why did they pay 2 billion for the Oculus Rift and not just make their own?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:32:00 »
I can't figure out how Oculus Rift got so popular or why Facebook paid 2 billion for it.  The concept and prototypes have existed 20+ years.  I remember a documentary on them a long time ago.  It looked just like Oculus Rift and let someone look around inside a very crude building.  If Facebook wanted to do a VR headset, why did they pay 2 billion for the Oculus Rift and not just make their own?

Patents

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:44:16 »

Carmack?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Coreda

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 01:48:32 »
Well this was a sh--storm if ever there was one over on the gaming side of another forum. 2000+ posts in the first half hour of being announced. Typical for such major news.

There are two sides of thought on this from everything I've read: the optimistic opinion that this will be for the greater good of making VR mainstream and a adding more resources can only help with their vision. And the pessimistic (perhaps realistic) view that Facebook will ultimately hurt the focus of the company in a push for revenue over innovation, and the product will become integrated closely to Facebook's advertising efforts.

Others somewhere in the middle are waiting to see what happens, but there are definitely some very disappointed and shocked people hearing the news. Valve, Sony or even Google I can see gamers having a more positive outlook on the acquisition, but Facebook being what it is has many people anxious over the future of Oculus.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 01:53:59 »
Facebook wants to do something like GoogleGlass with the rift, which is kind of silly considering GoogleGlass already exists. The thing about social media that's attractive is it's portability, and something that activly blocks your vision is dare I say, stupid. But I mean, think about the function of the Rift, to be able to move seperate objects in independant directions through a 3d space hands free. How would a company like Facebook even be able to implement this without branching their company in some new direction. If FB is throwing that kind of money around, it's a pretty safe bet they already have plans for the technology. There's no way Zuckerburg dropped $2billion for an enhanced reality social media device with hands free 3d movement, because that's ****ing insane. That's something an insane person would do with $2billion.

Also, fun little fact: The deal included $400million in cash and $1.6 billion in Facebook stock, so essentially over 3/4 of the pricepoint is nothing more than volatile toilet paper.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 01:56:38 by noisyturtle »

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 02:02:09 »
2B for oculus

20B for whatsapp

lololololololol

This ^

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 02:54:57 »
People say sellout now but that will soon be forgotten... Look at Westwood Studios and EA...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 03:04:14 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 03:20:24 »
Look at Westwood Studios and EA...

So what you're saying is, it's all good because it just got absorbed by something we can all hate together?

Offline blackbox

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 03:23:58 »
I dont like this. It will be interesting to see what happens with the rift (if anything).
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 03:26:07 »
Look at Westwood Studios and EA...

So what you're saying is, it's all good because it just got absorbed by something we can all hate together?

Pretty much.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 07:58:56 »
I can see Facebook doing some sort of want to be face to face with friends and family, now you can, in your virtual living room etc

Offline blackbox

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 17:00:35 »
I can see Facebook doing some sort of want to be face to face with friends and family, now you can, in your virtual living room etc

oh god, hope that dosent happen. Perfect idea for an Dystopia where everyone is just using the oculus and nothing else.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 18:06:51 »

oh god, hope that dosen't happen. Perfect idea for an Dystopia where everyone is just using the oculus and nothing else.

We're kinda already there with smartphones. Gets worse every year.
In the year 2021 a madman will detonate an EMP device in the middle of the Atlantic, effectively cutting off the use of all electronic devices for over half the planet. When questioned about his motives he'll shrug and reply, "I just wanted someone to look me in the eyes when I spoke to them." In 2041 this man will be herald as the savior of the human race for re-re-redefining the meaning of social interaction.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 02:38:10 »

oh god, hope that dosen't happen. Perfect idea for an Dystopia where everyone is just using the oculus and nothing else.

We're kinda already there with smartphones. Gets worse every year.
In the year 2021 a madman will detonate an EMP device in the middle of the Atlantic, effectively cutting off the use of all electronic devices for over half the planet. When questioned about his motives he'll shrug and reply, "I just wanted someone to look me in the eyes when I spoke to them." In 2041 this man will be herald as the savior of the human race for re-re-redefining the meaning of social interaction.

Interesting dystopia.

The LAN table!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 03:25:15 »
Love how people who donated to the kick starter think they are intitled to anything because of the fb deal hahahaha

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 06:12:14 »
Facebook buying it is actually one of the better things that could've happened. I mean, someone was probably going to buy them eventually, and so far Facebook, despite not being a company I like, has a track record of not ****ing too much with the things they buy.

Just imagine Microsoft, EA or Activision buying Oculus instead.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 16:47:41 »
Facebook buying it is actually one of the better things that could've happened. I mean, someone was probably going to buy them eventually, and so far Facebook, despite not being a company I like, has a track record of not ****ing too much with the things they buy.

Just imagine Microsoft, EA or Activision buying Oculus instead.

I wouldn't have had any issue with Microsoft purchasing VR.

Offline eddie

• ¥¥¥¥
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 16:59:09 »
My friend thinks this is a really huge April fools day joke that got leaked too early. I think it is good.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:45:37 »
My friend thinks this is a really huge April fools day joke that got leaked too early. I think it is good.

There's no way a publicly traded company would announce a $2 billion acquisition as an April fool's joke.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:15:01 »

There's no way a publicly traded company would announce a $2 billion acquisition as an April fool's joke.

well,it is nothing compared to what they bought whatsapp for so why not? :P

The LAN table!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 18:17:37 »

your friend might be mildly retarded

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:29:48 »
I hope it catches on... and it bleeds into making the internet like what was envisioned in early 80's cyberpunk novels. Just imagine... the internet as a VR user created anything goes MMO.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:48:22 »
MMO Porn

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 03:03:23 »
MMO Porn

Guess you haven't played Second Life?