Author Topic: need help building pc.  (Read 19198 times)

Offline Sniping

Re: need help building pc.
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 23:34:39 »
I've said this in 20 threads already, but the Qnix Evolution II is an awesome monitor.

Best $300 I spent for my setup (better than my HHKB)

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/13500-qnix-qx2710-review-2560x1440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html

My only other recommendation is to go with a Corsair case, they can get cheap when they're on sale too.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 00:26:17 »
Well, since I love doing these, here is one for you buddy  :thumb:

Since you are in LA, it would be worth your while to take a trip to the Tustin Microcenter.

CPU:  4570 - $159.  Since you don't plan on overclocking, no sense in the k model for $40 more.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/413255/Intel_Core_i5-4570_32GHz_Boxed_Processor
Mobo:  Asrock Z87 Pro4 - $55 after $30 cpu combo discount.  Might as well get the Z87 chipset just incase you want to step into a k series cpu in the future.   
http://www.microcenter.com/product/417391/Z87_PRO4_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard_-_Refurbished

This is the rest:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Memory:  GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case:  BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($102.97 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply:  Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $836.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-03 01:24 EDT-0400)
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 10:58:50 »
I've said this in 20 threads already, but the Qnix Evolution II is an awesome monitor.

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/13500-qnix-qx2710-review-2560x1440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html

My only other recommendation is to go with a Corsair case, they can get cheap when they're on sale too.

I have one myself. 1440p at 120hz is awesome!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 11:02:11 »

I have one myself. 1440p at 120hz is awesome!

I want my QNix

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 11:03:53 »
For what its worth, the case im interested in is the corsair obsidian 250D
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 11:18:43 »

Good choice although I am a bit biased.

If that is the case (pun intended), just swap the case and mobo in my build.  I went with the Asrock Z87E for $65 from microcenter after the combo discount. 

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 11:49:24 »

Looks like a cute case! You should be able to stuff it full.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 12:10:13 »

Thats a nice little case. Corsair makes quality cases I have the 550D. Just need to change your choice of motherboard to ITX.

This locks you in basically with intel (a good thing imo). The only itx boards I see on newegg that are AMD are for the APUs. Which don't have the best CPU performance.

If you know you will never overclock as stated above Micro Center has the
i5-4570 for $159
You could pair that with something like
ASRock Z87E-ITX $129 (amazon). I don't love Asrock but it was recommended by Anand
GIGABYTE GA-B85N-WIFI $99 (Newegg) Save a few bucks

I don't disagree with buying a Z87 board so you could possibly overclock in the future. But if you have no interest in that at all it may be a waste of cash.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 12:13:22 »

Since you are in LA, it would be worth your while to take a trip to the Tustin Microcenter.

CPU:  4570 - $159.  Since you don't plan on overclocking, no sense in the k model for $40 more.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/413255/Intel_Core_i5-4570_32GHz_Boxed_Processor
Mobo:  Asrock Z87 Pro4 - $55 after $30 cpu combo discount.  Might as well get the Z87 chipset just incase you want to step into a k series cpu in the future.   
http://www.microcenter.com/product/417391/Z87_PRO4_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard_-_Refurbished

This is the rest:

Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Case:  BitFenix Phenom M Midnight Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($102.97 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply:  Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($84.98 @ OutletPC)

I've heard the Tustin Microcenter has a bad rep of not honoring Microcenter web prices and taking away the CPU deals.

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/1ppb8y/microcenter_in_tustin_ca_not_offering_cpu_deals/
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/1i572w/notice_cpu_4670k_220_california_microcenter_no/
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 12:29:11 »

This is the rest:

I've heard the Tustin Microcenter has a bad rep of not honoring Microcenter web prices and taking away the CPU deals.

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/1ppb8y/microcenter_in_tustin_ca_not_offering_cpu_deals/
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/1i572w/notice_cpu_4670k_220_california_microcenter_no/

This is very true. Glad word is finally getting out. But as far as intel they only do it with the "K" versions/high end models.. If you notice on the site they show them out of stock, which is not true, they just don't display the true price online. But the CPU I linked should be there at that price as its listed on the site as in stock in the tustin store.

It does suck they stopped selling them at the great prices. I asked them about it recently, they had too many people buying only cpu's and lots of resellers coming in only buying cpu's. (They supposedly sell them at a loss) So they finally just axed the sales. This is sadly the only MC in california and I guess we have a lot of nerds here/high demand for cheap cpu's. THey started price matching newegg etc to encourage people to buy the rest of their parts there as well but I guess it didn't help.

Offline Chemoletter

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 12:33:08 »
You may want to consider a RAID option for the part of the disk that stores games.

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 12:54:13 »

I can't argue against an Obsidian :thumb: Those things are nice lookin!

My real dream case is a custom powder coated CaseLabs case. Actually, geekhack colors now that I think about it. Black on the outside, OJ on the inside :) $300 for the internal powder coat job though, at least at Frozen CPU.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 13:19:22 »
Anybody have a problem with badwrench's build?

Im leaning towards that. Its under my budget which is nice.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 13:40:26 »

I was impressed with the build he did for the price. But if you go with the 250D your going to need to change the motherboard to ITX. I didn't know Micro Center did discounts with all cpu's. I addedt eh cpu and an itx board and got no $30 off in my cart. It may only show up in store. You're going to have to drive to Tustin for that of course. You'll for sure save $40 of the cpu compared to newegg. Not sure what your time is worth to you.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 13:43:57 »

I was impressed with the build he did for the price. But if you go with the 250D your going to need to change the motherboard to ITX. I didn't know Micro Center did discounts with all cpu's. I addedt eh cpu and an itx board and got no $30 off in my cart. It may only show up in store. You're going to have to drive to Tustin for that of course. You'll for sure save $40 of the cpu compared to newegg. Not sure what your time is worth to you.

Yeah, the mobo needs to be a micro or mini ITX and also, I would not buy refurbished mobo. It's a pretty good build, but I think you can do better especially with your budget.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:23:15 »

Yeah, the mobo needs to be a micro or mini ITX and also, I would not buy refurbished mobo. It's a pretty good build, but I think you can do better especially with your budget.

If he gets the Corsair 250D I believe he has to use mini-ITX.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:29:15 »

If he gets the Corsair 250D I believe he has to use mini-ITX.

yep the next smallest case that'll fit a mATX is the Corsair 350D
which isn't small at all as i own one lol.

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:30:48 »

250D is itx only :(

This asrock seems pretty feature packed.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/414947/Z87E-ITX_Socket_LGA_1150_mini_ITX_Intel_Motherboard

Motherboards come with dehumidifiers now? I guess if it works it would be useful for people who build systems for their boats. But I imagine it's more marketing BS than anything.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-ITX/

No experience with Geil so I can't yay or nay that.

Max PSU length is 180mm - so I would recommend the same as with the silverstone case I was talking about. Make sure that any modular supply you get is 160mm at most. Gold level will be fine although I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to go platinum. It wouldn't hurt to see what the video card manufacturer recommends power-wise either.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:38:14 »

Yeah, the combo is only for in-store.  I just built my 250D using the Asrock Z87E.  I liked it more than the MSI boards due to the placement of the socket further from the pci-e slot.  It also has the option to add an mSata SSD to the underside which is a nice option if you go with a really small case. 

Offline compgeke

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:44:13 »

Offline missalaire

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 17:01:10 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 17:37:08 »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:11:22 »
Ok, just got off the phone with the Tustin store.  They do not combo with the 4570, only with the processors on the combo page.  Any of the K series or the i3 4340 plus any in-stock motherboard will get you $30 off of that mobo.

Since that is the case, I still recommend the 4570 as an in store purchase, but with an H87(usb3 support) series board, or to drop the SSD and go with a 4670k (which is actually $209)+Z87E which will drop your total around $40. 

Here is an updated build without the SSD, but replaced with a Hybrid drive which may not boot as quickly, will still give you a nice snappy feel once it learns your habbits. 

i5 4570 - $159  Still worth the drive from LA to OC to save $30. 

Rest of the build

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-B85N Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.35 @ Amazon)
Memory:  Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Seagate  1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($83.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
Case:  Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply:  Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $809.53
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-03 19:09 EDT-0400)

Offline missalaire

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:23:13 »
Here are my build. I included an SSD in the build, but it's really optional whether or not you feel like you want one. You may want to consider getting someone who lives near a non-****ty Microcenter to proxy you a CPU + mobo combo also.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3lF4m
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:30:17 by missalaire »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:35:15 »
Thanks guys and gal!

Badwrench, how was it working with such a small case? Cable management pretty good?

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:55:53 »
... Still worth the drive from LA to OC to save $30. 

Unless cab-fare.

Convenience premium is convenient.

I'd spend $30 to not have to drive to a physical store, park, walk around among the proletariat, play patronized consumer for the irritating sales and checkout clerks, then drive back home. Yeah, avoiding that is worth at least $30.

Also: do some PSU research, starting with jonnyguru.

Anandtech has nice comparison charts. Tomshardware... is annoying, but has some charts.

Idk how you feel about newegg, but i'm less pleased with them in recent times, although the only alternative available in my area is the rebate-heavy tigerdirect. I can't imagine finding a better deal in any physical store.

I thought this thread was not legit. I can't believe the venerable demik would ever need help choosing PC parts.

Surely this is all a clever ruse...

But what *I* would do, is scour ebay for the best deal on a still-fresh discard from one of those early-adopter upgrade addicts, who always keep their rigs packed with the latest most overkill components, and drop their previous stuff on ebay at hilarious prices.

I would also suggest always buying RAM new, and mostly agree with missalaire, in that 8 GB is plenty, and lowest possible latency is "better" than highest possible speed... but really, you want to try to match your ram with your cpu speed, which requires knowing multipliers and mobo characteristics and such.

If i were to build an intel rig, i'd either want to go with the most outrageous thing they offer (too expensive), or try to build the lowest-power-consuming thing possible, but still have the best possible gpu for it. And, don't get any graphics card with less than 3 GB vram, but it also should have a gpu that can actually USE all that vram effectively (some can't, due to the gpu not being powerful enough for the kinds of stuff that amount of vram would be good for... look at some bf4 performance issue reports all over the web).

And! if you care about your PSU fan possibly being loud, or the amount of stress you're putting on the PSU, or want to keep your rated efficiency expectations, you'll want to calculate your expected peak power requirement for all components, and get something rated for almost twice that (some PSUs overrate themselves, or don't quite meet their claimed efficiency numbers). Once you start plugging in all kinds of other stuff, you might end up with a box that shuts down in the most intense moments, if it draws too much power... or it might just wear out from being slammed at max capacity 24/7 (or however many hours your typical gaming session may be).

Anyway, my point is: research every component before you buy anything.

Thanks to jonnyguru, i ended up scoring (i call it a score!) a NIB kingwin lazer gold 850 for ~$100 (which is just about perfect for my oc'd 8350, 590, 2 hdd, 1 ssd, 1 dvd, water pump and 12 fans, 9 of which are on my radiator... and most of my usb slots populated). At the time, it was better than anything i could have found up to $150+. I almost went with an Antec HCP platinum, which is about as good as it gets, but they're not cheap at all.

Oh and! If there are specific games you want to run well, go to their forums and look in the relevant section for people having issues running the game.

Or, you know, you can totally just disregard this and let other people tell you what you should do with your money. ;)
Logitech G710+

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:29:34 »
I'd spend $30 to not have to drive to a physical store, park, walk around among the proletariat, play patronized consumer for the irritating sales and checkout clerks, then drive back home. Yeah, avoiding that is worth at least $30.

preach brother, preach.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:46:34 »
I agree LA to tustin is not a quick drive. Not really worth $30.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:13:00 »
For power supplies, low wattage high efficiency power supplies are usually the way to go, a 500w reliable gold rated power supply is great for a GTX 770 build. Just buy the one that's cheapest (slickdeals.net usually has a decent amount of posts for cheap power supplies). Hardwaresecrets is also a nice place to read up on PSU reviews.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:18:05 »
Thanks guys and gal!

Badwrench, how was it working with such a small case? Cable management pretty good?

It is a really easy case to do good cable management.  There are little loops all around for zip-tie anchors to allow you to place the cables exactly where you want them. 

This was just getting started:

Kinda dark, but most everything tucked up right in front of the psu:

This is the most jumbled area as I have yet to make my own cables for all of the fans and the extensions from my fan controller.  I just tucked it up in the optical bay for now.:

I agree LA to tustin is not a quick drive. Not really worth $30.

To each his own.  I drove up from San Diego, but it saved me $70.  I also like seeing all the different parts in person rather than in pictures. 

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:43:07 »
Badwrench, do you know if it'll fit wider vid cards OK? It looks like you have card with a reference cooler in there, but any idea if an Asus or Gigabyte card with their crazy heatpipe/fan assemblies will fit in there? It looks like they will, but I thought it worth bringing up/asking. I didn't see any width restrictions mentioned at corsair's site.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:44:38 »
Well, I dunno if you decided on badwrench's plan yet, but I thought I would add my advice.

$1,000 is a tough budget to meet, because each +$100 more you spend, your performance per dollar increases rapidly, up until about $1,500, then performance per dollar levels out, and you have to spend more and more dollars to chase less and less benefit.  And every $100 less you spend greatly reduces your performance per dollar, down to about $600, below which you simply cannot play any games.

With that proviso in mind, here is my plan for you to build a powerful, stable and quiet gaming rig, that will play any game with nearly all the high graphics features turned on, and which has room to overclock:

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K  $230

CPU Cooler:  Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212:  $35

GPU:  GeForce GTX 770:  $320

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper M5 Socket 1150 Intel Z87 Micro-ATX:  $200

RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2133mhz (PC3 17000) Model # F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL:  $85

SSD:  Crucial M500 240 GB:  $120

PSU:  SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready  $105

Case:  Nanoxia NXDS4B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case:  $79

Total = $1,313

You might think that price is high, but you get the best bang for the buck CPU (i5-4670K); the best bang for the buck performance video card (GTX 770); the best bang for the buck RAM (2133 mhz is sweet spot); and an awesome mobo.  That little Gigabyte Z87 GA-G1.Sniper M5 has a Creative sound core 3D chip onboard AND a Qualcomm Aetheros Killer E2201 network chip onboard!  If you want to pwn nubs over the internets like I do, then you NEED a fast internet connection, and you need surround sound to hear those bastards sneaking up on you. 

Also my plan gets you an extremely fast (almost the fastest) SSD with 240gb of storage.  128gb is just not enough if you want to have more than one game loaded at a time.   

The PSU I picked out for you is the best you can get, nearly at any price.  Seasonic makes the best PSU's hands down, and they use Sanyo Denki San Ace 120mm fans for quiet.  Plus you get totally modular cables for an easy customized build, and you get 650watts at 80-plus gold rating, so you will never flag, falter or fail on power.  If you've ever had a cheap PSU fail and fry your rig, you know it's not good, nor fun. 

The only variable really is the case.  You could go with any sub $100 case.  But my choice for you is Nanoxia DS4.  I have the Nanoxia DS5, which is super quiet.  The DS4 is the micro-ATX version, so I'm assuming it's the same quality.  You cannot get a quieter case anywhere near this price.  It has bitumen sound insulation like in your car (if you have a luxury car that is).  You would have to spend another +$300 to get a better case.  It is similar to the Fractal Design cases, but the Nanoxia's are much better quality.  I've tried both brands.

Finally, you need 64-bit Windows 7 for gaming.  No need for Windows 8, which is really for tablets anyway.  Much better gaming support for Windows 7.  Bill Gates sets the price (which is a rip-off), so you don't have much choice on this one.  Unless you go Linux, but then you won't be much of a gamer.

My prices are high estimates, meaning I didn't kill myself hunting around the internet for the cheapest bargains.  You will have to do that yourself.  And most likely you can save -5 to -10% off my prices if you shop around and/or wait for sales.

Anyway, I put a lot of thought into this.  I hope I gave you something to think about.

Good Luck!
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:04:47 »
I do agree with most of that ethos but the video card. What you said should be OK for 1080p and below. But if he goes above that probably going to want a 780.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:33:49 »
So many choices O.O

Offline Sniping

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:56:30 »
I do agree with most of that ethos but the video card. What you said should be OK for 1080p and below. But if he goes above that probably going to want a 780.

From my experience you can have "good-enough-gaming" at 1440p with a 770. The games that will be played matter a lot, but for the most part I don't have issues playing at 1440p with my 770 on my crappy platform AMD Phenom :(

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:57:47 »
Intel and nvidia

smart man.

i have a liquid cooled rig with an i7-3770k and a GTX680.  i bought and built this thing a while ago and it has made me very happy. but if you want to do sub 1k i am not a person that can give sound advice.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:59:53 by tricheboars »
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:20:58 »
Basically... in my opinion right now is not a good time to buy. Why? Well 8 core i series with DDR4 is right around the corner quite literally. Even if you are not interested in increasing your budget for those things, it may be prudent to hold off as it might decrease the cost of current components if even slightly. In addition to that nVidia Maxwell 8** series GPU is also right around the corner. Unless you are really in dire need of a new PC I really would wait a couple months as the new options could be huge. Not only for better performance at lower tdps, but also with new interface standards like m.2/sata express could be a killer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:22:30 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 23:48:42 »

Basically... in my opinion right now is not a good time to buy. Why? Well 8 core i series with DDR4 is right around the corner quite literally. Even if you are not interested in increasing your budget for those things, it may be prudent to hold off as it might decrease the cost of current components if even slightly. In addition to that nVidia Maxwell 8** series GPU is also right around the corner. Unless you are really in dire need of a new PC I really would wait a couple months as the new options could be huge. Not only for better performance at lower tdps, but also with new interface standards like m.2/sata express could be a killer.

Of course bro.  He should have a 780.  I want him to have a 780.  BUT, he set budget of $1,000.  And a GTX780 costs at least $500, and that's half the budget spent on the video card.  Personally, I would increase budget to $1,500, but I'm not him.  At $1,000, he has to make serious trade-offs.  My plan tries to maximize each dollar spent on getting the maximum bang for the buck.  He could spend less, but he will have a bad gaming experience.  My plan gets demik the maximum gaming experience for the fewest dollars.  I can spend more of his money, but IMO ~ $1,300 is just about the minimum he can spend to get a first class gaming experience.  More $$ is better.  We all know that.

@IvanIvanovich:  The next best thing is ALWAYS just around the corner.  IF you wait 10 years you will have a 100-core computer that runs at 10,000 ghz.  demik needs a computer now, and so he is limited to choosing what's available now.  Also, it's actually better to buy near the end of a product's life cycle, than at the beginning, since all the bugs have been worked out.   If demik waits for Intel Core i8, he will have to pay more $$, and he will have to wait for BIOS updates to fix all of the problems with the new architecture, mobo's, RAM and drivers.  Better to get i5 now, and be hassle free.  That's my opinion.

@Demik:  if nothing else, get that Seasonic deal Sniping mentioned.  That is great deal on PSU.  Get it now.

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 23:57:51 »
True, but when the next best thing is literally 1-3 months.... waiting can be a very feasible plan. If you don't mind buying last gen, then buying it at the introduction of next gen within 3 months is more often than not the pricing sweet spot as most retailers make the best clearance prices to shift old stock before it becomes 'legacy' and the price starts going back up again.

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:08:18 »
From everything I've read high end maxwell needs a process shrink and likely won't be showing up till q4 or q1 2015. I would recommend if you want a good experience on a budget you buy a used evga gfx card. I have a used 780 Classified that Cost me only 500 and it is solid at 1080 and just squeaking by at 1440. Otherwise if you want to stick with the 1000 dollar budget be prepared to dial down the settings even at 1080p and likely get frustrated enough that you'll be upgrading before long. (I tried putting together a minimal cost gaming rig for this thread but found that even my mininum gfx card the 2g 770 broke the budget.

I would recommend saving a little more and going for:
h87 itx board.
The 250d (or my preference the fractal node 304)
A seasonic 500-650 watt PSU. though You can go cheaper than seasonic, I've always had great experiences with their psu.
A 2gb 770. (Evga allows you to transfer the warranty so you can save some money here by buying used.)
A 256GB SSD. (I wouldnt bother with a HDD for a budget build one can be added easily later on.)
4570 CPU.
8GB Cheapest Gskill. (Something else you should be able to get used for a decent price.)

Then wait a few months after your wallet is recovered and spend 140 on a new cpu cooler and a 1tb or larger HDD.

EDIT: actually pc part picker shows this at 1091 for brand new parts. (MSI 770) You should be able to shave off that 90 dollars by buying the GPU used. That would be in your 1000 dollar budget. I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:11:45 by SeeThruHead »

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:13:29 »
**** Corsair and that circlejerk, acquire Silverstone FT03.

The 250D has so much wasted space in it.  And what's up with making it so that only the H100i is compatible with it?  It's the same stupid proprietary Corsair BS that they insist on building into so many of their overprice products.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:31:20 »

The 250D has so much wasted space in it.  And what's up with making it so that only the H100i is compatible with it?  It's the same stupid proprietary Corsair BS that they insist on building into so many of their overprice products.

you know, the FT03 was the case that got me interested in small builds.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:36:04 »

what?
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/21/corsair_obsidian_series_250d_miniitx_case_review/5#.Uz-j9lfPa1U

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:39:23 »

what?
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/21/corsair_obsidian_series_250d_miniitx_case_review/5#.Uz-j9lfPa1U

120mm CLCs are pointless.  From the review regarding proper 2x120mm rads:

"Thicker all-in-one cooling units such as the Corsair H105 and the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme can be used but only with thin 120mm fans."

That negates the point of the nice thicker rad since thin fans do not have the static pressure for thicker, denser rads.  There are some fantastic thin 120mm fans, but you'll get much worse performance out of your Water 2.0 Extreme with fans producing 0.85mmH2O than ones that can generate 2.0mmH2O.   The Water 2.0 and 3.0 Extreme both readily trounce the H100i and don't have the crappy Link software.  Corsair, of course, designed the case so better CLCs like those or the Glacer 240L and so that nice custom loops would not fit in the case. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:41:06 by nubbinator »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:40:53 »
or just use a single rad all in one
" You can also easily mount any (thick or thin) 120mm / 140mm an all-in-one, self contained water cooling unit in the fan mounting location in the front of the chassis. There is enough room for dual and single fan configurations with plenty of room left over for your power supply cables."

my H80 performs the same as when i had an H100 with my GT-AP15

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:44:38 »
or just use a single rad all in one
" You can also easily mount any (thick or thin) 120mm / 140mm an all-in-one, self contained water cooling unit in the fan mounting location in the front of the chassis. There is enough room for dual and single fan configurations with plenty of room left over for your power supply cables."

my H80 performs the same as when i had an H100 with my GT-AP15

Then you did something wrong, your H100 was a POS, or you were running at stock.  Every reputable site and user on sites like OCN have the H80 pretty handily losing to the H100 and other better CLCs.

I just refuse to support companies that make it difficult if not impossible to use competing products with theirs.  Corsair makes all their RAM with obscenely tall heat spreaders to try and get you to use a CLC, they make cases like the 250D that will not fit better CLCs like the Water 2.0 or 3.0 Extreme or Glacer 240L or even a custom loop, they make keyboards with non-standard cap sizes, and so on.  I refuse to recommend something that is designed deliberately so that you have to buy their products.

And that's not even mentioning that Link was basically Alpha software when released and Corsair insists that the software has no issues at all.

you know, the FT03 was the case that got me interested in small builds.

Do it.  Silverstone has some god-tier cases.  Lian Li also has some amazing mITX cases.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:48:46 by nubbinator »

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:30:03 »
Those statements pretty much reflect my feeling in corsair cases. The Silverstone and fractal sff cases are some of my favorites. I have an sgo5, which incidentally would house your build very nicely, and be smaller than the 250d. It is a little harder to work in being so small. Also if you want to go Matx the sg10 is a great case, I think it's probably smaller than the 250d. I've actually got one I'd sell you for 50 +shipping of you want.

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 08:35:03 »
Those statements pretty much reflect my feeling in corsair cases. The Silverstone and fractal sff cases are some of my favorites. I have an sgo5, which incidentally would house your build very nicely, and be smaller than the 250d. It is a little harder to work in being so small. Also if you want to go Matx the sg10 is a great case, I think it's probably smaller than the 250d. I've actually got one I'd sell you for 50 +shipping of you want.

Thats another case I've been a fan of. But it seems pretty difficult to work with.

So now I'm stuck between the 250D, FT03, and SG05.

Just saw the price of the ft03 lol no .
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 08:44:49 by demik »

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 09:05:13 »

Thats another case I've been a fan of. But it seems pretty difficult to work with.

So now I'm stuck between the 250D, FT03, and SG05.

Just saw the price of the ft03 lol no .

Sometimes you get what you pay for with cases. I guess it depends on how long you want keep it, where you keep it, how gentle you are with it. My home case is a Lian-Li v1100. It is about 9 years old now. It has seen 3 full system builds over the years. I've taken good care of it, it still looks amazing. I still think it is one of the best looking cases ever :)

I can't vouch for the ft03 though as I've never seen one in person - plus those plastic pieces have always made me nervous.