Author Topic: VT100 Terminals  (Read 1137 times)

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
VT100 Terminals
« on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 22:43:45 »
Do any GHers have one or a similar terminal? If yes where did you get it and how much was it?

Id really like to get one but they are seeming to not only be expensive but also pretty elusive.

Also, if you have one what do you use it for?
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: VT100 Terminals
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 22:51:27 »
Many years ago, I had a C.Itoh CIT-101, which is basically a VT100 clone.

Bought it from a local university; they have a "surplus goods" shop which used to funnel all sorts of fun computer stuff, but the last ~5 years, they've switched to selling the computers by the palet-load at auction instead.

I used it briefly as an auxillary display for a Linux box (set up to display top), and when trying to bootstrap a Sun Ultra 10 without the standard keyboard//mouse).

Eventually put it out because, honestly, it was big and clunky and achieved no useful goal that couldn't be done with a small old laptop running terminal-emulator software.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: VT100 Terminals
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 22:57:19 »
I have a VT220 (maybe 2, can't remember, but I think one was broken and I threw it out).

Also an HP terminal.

And a Link terminal (kinda similar to Wyse) that has a keyboard with MX blacks.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ