Author Topic: Kana v2  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Xest

Kana v2
« on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 23:53:31 »
Hello, i was thinking about getting a Kana v2 for MOBA games, is there any other problems besides high lift off distance? and is it really a problem? If i don't get this then im up for reccomendations but i already have a Zowie AM but prefer Omron for MOBA games.

Offline submarinedog

Re: Kana v2
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 08:51:38 »
I've been using my Kana v2 white for the past 1-2 weeks and have been playing a lot of League of Legends. I don't find the LOD a big problem, probably because I don't often feel the need to do it/lift my mouse quite high anyway. I have only tried the mouse with MOBA/RTS games so far as I'm not a FPS type of person any more and I've found it to be very good and precise. Very minimal acceleration (if any at all). I really like how the mouse is very light as well, very easy to control (claw grip). The switches (I believe are Omron) are also easy to press down and aren't a problem when clicking fast.

I came from using a G700 and G602 both wireless and heavy. They are very comfortable mice and still love them. But once using the Kana v2 and its sensor I don't think I could go back to the Logitech's for more intense gaming.

I have it paired with a Steelseries 9HD hard mat and find the combination to be excellent. At first the Kana v2 needed getting used to, but after breaking it in it just gets even better; switches not as stiff, mouse feet evening out with the mouse mat etc. I highly recommend this mouse.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 17:05:26 »
Supposedly a "tape trick" can fix the lift-off distance, but I haven't noticed any problems.

Played with my Kana v2 all weekend, it is extremely similar to the Zowie FK-- main difference being the nicer scroll wheel on the Kana v2 (the Zowie FK 2014 attempts to remedy this issue).
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 17:22:21 »
Supposedly a "tape trick" can fix the lift-off distance, but I haven't noticed any problems.

Played with my Kana v2 all weekend, it is extremely similar to the Zowie FK-- main difference being the nicer scroll wheel on the Kana v2 (the Zowie FK 2014 attempts to remedy this issue).

The Kana v2 is currently available here in Australia from my favourite merchant.  Need to see what this baby is like  :thumb: .  Normally not a fan of ambidextrous devices but this one looks the goods.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 18:02:41 »
Kind of curious why they didn't sell the v2 in America.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 18:13:16 »

Not sure, but I got mine off eBay for $70 (black version), not the best deal but pretty close in price to my other favorite mouse (Zowie FK).

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Xest

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 23:19:56 »
Thanks for replies, i was debating this vs the mionix avior 7000 which is 15 dollars more

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:36:44 »
Thanks for replies, i was debating this vs the mionix avior 7000 which is 15 dollars more

Get them both buddy, then you'll realize which one will suit you over time.

Offline Xest

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 04:31:52 »
Expensive haha ;P

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 15:46:13 »
Eh if you can manage to get the mice from a website with a good return policy, you can always return the one you don't want. Alternatively you could try to sell it in the classifieds!

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 13:27:59 »

Not sure, but I got mine off eBay for $70 (black version), not the best deal but pretty close in price to my other favorite mouse (Zowie FK).

How do you like it vs the FK?
ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:23:42 »

They are really similar but the main differences are in the scroll wheel and side buttons.

Kana v2 has a better scroll wheel than the FK. The Kana v2's scroll is smoother and has more steps than the FK. Supposedly the Zowie FK 2014 version has a better scroll.

The Kana v2 only has one side button that I can use with my thumb, which is a con for me since I bind both side buttons on the FK for League of Legends.

The Kana v2 surface looks nicer than the FK (which gets greasy looking) and has a semi-matte finish. Both provide a fine grip for my hand though.

I believe the DPI steps on the Kana v2 are different than the Zowie, but the highest step on the Kana v2 works for me, and I use the highest DPI step on the Zowie FK.

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:35:29 »

They are really similar but the main differences are in the scroll wheel and side buttons.

Kana v2 has a better scroll wheel than the FK. The Kana v2's scroll is smoother and has more steps than the FK. Supposedly the Zowie FK 2014 version has a better scroll.

The Kana v2 only has one side button that I can use with my thumb, which is a con for me since I bind both side buttons on the FK for League of Legends.

The Kana v2 surface looks nicer than the FK (which gets greasy looking) and has a semi-matte finish. Both provide a fine grip for my hand though.

I believe the DPI steps on the Kana v2 are different than the Zowie, but the highest step on the Kana v2 works for me, and I use the highest DPI step on the Zowie FK.

What about the switch feel?  I know the FK has the "lightest" Huanos but how is it vs the Omrons on the Kana?

Yea, the side buttons are kind of a deal breaker for me as well as I always bind to them :(
ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline Shuki

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:59:48 »
I own both the FK and the Kana, I feel the Kana comes out on top, mainly due to the dpi steps being more normal 400/800/1600 as well as 400 actually being 400, whereas on the FK the 450dpi step was more like 550dpi. The clicks feel a lot nicer on the Kana and the mouse as a whole just feels better. I prefer the shape of the Kana over the FK as well.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 14:14:29 »

What about the switch feel?  I know the FK has the "lightest" Huanos but how is it vs the Omrons on the Kana?

Yea, the side buttons are kind of a deal breaker for me as well as I always bind to them :(

Yeah the FK switches right off the bat are easier to click, but the Omrons are easier to spam click-- the FK gets a little mushy feeling and sticky when you are clicking super fast.

I'm thinking the Omron switches will break in some more with use and they will be just as light as the Huano's.

I can press the opposite side button with my pinkie, but you'd only want to be using that bind very rarely if you did use it. You could always rebind the DPI switch button on the top, though!

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 23:31:12 »
decided to try and get my hands on one of these as my G400s is a bit tall and with the height of my mousepad it makes me have to bend my wrist a bit much for comfort. I know shapes are way different but it's mostly length and width that matters to me (no jokes please! :P) and as the G400s has indentations like so, I think the Kana won't feel that much different. I did like the V1 shape.
bit nervous that it won't work well with my aluminium mousepad though. but if my avago s3095 G400s works... I'm staying hopeful though. will report back if I end up getting one.

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 21:34:39 »

Yeah the FK switches right off the bat are easier to click, but the Omrons are easier to spam click-- the FK gets a little mushy feeling and sticky when you are clicking super fast.

I'm thinking the Omron switches will break in some more with use and they will be just as light as the Huano's.

I can press the opposite side button with my pinkie, but you'd only want to be using that bind very rarely if you did use it. You could always rebind the DPI switch button on the top, though!

Thats my issue with the FK. I love everything about it except the instances when I need to spam click my LMB.  Maybe I'll give the Kana v2 a try. No news of it being released via a US retailer?

ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 March 2014, 15:55:06 »
well ****. I got a used mouse in the mail rather than the brand new one I paid for. mouse feet had dimples in it and scratches and were worn and it was quite dirty and dusty. not going to use this one, have to wait for a replacement. that ruined my week :(

update:
got it today, new one with nice and smooth feet! it's actually really nice and solid feeling, sensor is great.
BUT, darn. the LOD is crazy high. I even have 1.2mm Puretrak HD mousefeet ON TOP of the original ones. will have to see if tape trick works okay with this one. I really do like how it feels though. clicks are awesome. shape is nice, size is perfect for me. (kind of fingertip gripper, bit larger hands) had a kinzu v2 pro before but it was too narrow even when using only fingertip grip.
I highly recommend this one if you can deal with the LOD somehow. I need to get used to it for sure but the general impressions I have are really great.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 March 2014, 18:00:11 by munch »

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:53:57 »
well ****. I got a used mouse in the mail rather than the brand new one I paid for. mouse feet had dimples in it and scratches and were worn and it was quite dirty and dusty. not going to use this one, have to wait for a replacement. that ruined my week :(

update:
got it today, new one with nice and smooth feet! it's actually really nice and solid feeling, sensor is great.
BUT, darn. the LOD is crazy high. I even have 1.2mm Puretrak HD mousefeet ON TOP of the original ones. will have to see if tape trick works okay with this one. I really do like how it feels though. clicks are awesome. shape is nice, size is perfect for me. (kind of fingertip gripper, bit larger hands) had a kinzu v2 pro before but it was too narrow even when using only fingertip grip.
I highly recommend this one if you can deal with the LOD somehow. I need to get used to it for sure but the general impressions I have are really great.

for my kana v2, I found the best thing to use for the tape trick is, if you have a rubiks cube or speed cube/diy cube with stickers on it, use an exacto or other sharp knife and peel off the red sticker. Use the red sticker and position it just against the edge of the lens (you will need to experiment with positions), and that will give the best performance (my v2 literally has like <1mm lod, sooo nice for csgo), as well as not look out of place blending in with the color of the mouse bottom.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 07:02:18 »
I unfortunately don't have a rubiks cube or similar, but I do have red electric tape. I should give that a try. not that there's any problem with the black electric tape I use now... but maybe it'll make a difference :D

thanks for the tip!

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 11:45:49 »
Thats my issue with the FK. I love everything about it except the instances when I need to spam click my LMB.  Maybe I'll give the Kana v2 a try. No news of it being released via a US retailer?

I actually prefer my Kana v2 over my FK 2013 now... The scroll is just 100x better on the Kana and I also prefer the shape since I do palm grip both mice.

I haven't heard any news of it being released in the US-- I bought mine off of eBay for $70.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 23:16:07 »
anyone want to buy my kana v2? :D

Offline maddada

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 01:01:39 »
here's how you can fix the LOD:

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 00:53:18 »
yeah, and it works wonders! thanks for sharing.

oh and BTW, this works with almost any mouse - so do watch the video if you feel your LOD is too high.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 April 2014, 01:07:56 by munch »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 02:27:40 »
anyone want to buy my kana v2? :D

Don't like your kana?