Author Topic: Dear Keyboard Community,  (Read 8440 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Dear Keyboard Community,
« on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 01:42:00 »
THANK YOU

rknize pointed out early this week that we're edging up on the 1 year anniversary of the rootworm episode and the rebirth of geekhack. In the intervening year we have had our ups and downs (our business cycles, so to speak), lots of drama, lots of keyboards, and lots of changes in the world of both keyboards and the community itself.

I can't speak for the entire staff, but I just want to thank everyone in the community for being so awesome. I donate my time, money and energy to help sustain this site because I think we have an assemblage of the coolest people on the internet here, and every morning I wake up, pop by, and find some contribution by a member, old guard or brand new (and bejeezus we're growing quickly!) that reminds me of that fact.

I wish I could say I had something cool planned for the 1 year anniversary of our rebirth, but... I don't know, maybe I'll think of something. Anyway, thanks everyone!!!1111 Keep on being awesome!

-KAWA

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
Re: Dear Keyboard Community,
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 01:44:57 »
To celebrate, I vote Sadster caps for all! :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Sai

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 01:46:21 »
1 year anniversary GH key !!  ;)
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline calavera

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 01:48:40 »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 01:49:19 »
The church of Halverson is proud to have been conceived in this time of peace. May the hack live long and prosper.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 01:49:58 »
What about free GH60's for all? I bet mkawa bought about 20,000 extra? But congratulations non-the-less !
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 02:05:00 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 01:52:29 »
I have to admit, the yellow smile cap and sadster are pretty adorable, but they have no place on a practical business machine...
already adorned with a Ducky logo cap, two different coloured GEEK HACKs, and a hammer and sickle.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 01:54:59 »
I joined quite late, but very happy to be here.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 01:59:35 »
What's a sadster?
Looking for CC's!

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 02:03:49 »
Congratz GeekHack!
Im so happy i found this awesome site and can be apart of this amazing community :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 05:08:04 »
What's a sadster?

Like the Hapster, but sad :(

Thank you mkawa and the other mods and admins for making this awesome community possible.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 05:34:11 »
Feels like it's been two years. Time's crazy.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 06:38:17 »
At first I thought you were going to say you were leaving....

Hopefully geekhack continues to be 'the mechanical keyboard' community on the Internet!

I look forward to what the future holds.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 06:39:56 »
Man...for a second my heart stopped. I thought YET another GHer was leaving! Since it's not a goodbye thread, I will say that I have loved my time here at GH so far and I hope to be around for a long time. GH is a really cool place and like kawa said, it's all because of the people here. Long live Geekhack, the Church of Halverson, and even kawa's favorite, whalebro. :P

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 12:09:51 »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 12:16:40 »
Oh you are welcome...

Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 20:31:56 »
What's a sadster?

Thank you mkawa and the other mods and admins for making this awesome community possible.

He's our missing attachment mascot:

Russ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 20:47:58 »
Can we get a vector of that to i3oiler? Also, I believe that BunnyLake coined him Grumpster.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 20:55:05 »
Well this is a Photoshop of my hapster, so I'll call him what I please!  :P
Russ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 20:55:49 »
:)
I love Elzy

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 20:57:46 »
HAHA! Jus sayin rknize. :)) hehe.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 20:58:50 »
Let's make cool things happen kawa =)

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 21:06:47 »
HAHA! Jus sayin rknize. :)) hehe.

That's like the people who copyright an IDEA, and then sue a few years later when somebody actually invests time and capital to make an actual PRODUCT...

Rknize has the naming rights in my opinion.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 22:19:02 »
I was curious just how the new GeekHack has been fairing over the past year.  The forum stats include all of GeekHack's history, so it's a little hard to tell how things have been going lately.  There were 23,403 registered members as of this writing (probably more by the time I hit post).  How many of them are actually active anymore?  There were 736,523 posts.  How many were from unique posters?

I added some DB queries to give an idea of how we are doing:

All of the stats (hopefully the DB won't hate me after today):

http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=stats
Russ

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 22:58:22 »
Speaking of anniversaries, where is iMav?  Haven't seen him around in AGES.  Hope all is well.  Thanks for all your hard work with the evolution of gh, admin team!

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 23:11:22 »
He actually posted a few times in the past week or so, but otherwise he has been very busy with personal stuff.
Russ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 01:12:16 »
What's a sadster?

He's our missing attachment mascot:

Show Image

I still haven't seen these for sale anywhere.  My yellow collection will be incomplete without them lol
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 09:17:12 »
Speaking of anniversaries, where is iMav?  Haven't seen him around in AGES.  Hope all is well.  Thanks for all your hard work with the evolution of gh, admin team!
imav is wrestling with bears various tedious real life stuff at the moment. he'll be back at some point when things calm down, but none of us (including him) know exactly when.

also, i fed him raw beef larb within 30 minutes of meeting him for the first time. TRUE MOTHER****ING STORY

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 09:45:12 »
I was curious just how the new GeekHack has been fairing over the past year.  The forum stats include all of GeekHack's history, so it's a little hard to tell how things have been going lately.  There were 23,403 registered members as of this writing (probably more by the time I hit post).  How many of them are actually active anymore?  There were 736,523 posts.  How many were from unique posters?

I added some DB queries to give an idea of how we are doing:

Show Image

All of the stats (hopefully the DB won't hate me after today):

http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=stats

Rknize You don't happen to have a reference to compare these to 12 months ago ? I know with some systems they keep records?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 11:28:50 »
I could generate those numbers
Russ

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 23:02:08 »
Years
ago
Active
members
Unique
posters
0 - 1
1 - 2
2 - 3
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 6
Russ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 23:03:50 »
When was the W0RM? I just remember checking Geekhack daily.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 23:06:29 »
I want a star.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 23:09:29 »
We were under constant attack for a few weeks prior, but we got owned on June 23rd, 2012.  We came back online on July 18th.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2013, 23:11:37 by rknize »
Russ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 23:27:01 »
Thanks. Twas a long month, I didn't go to DT at all. :/

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:29:40 »

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:31:53 »
You have a yellow star - what does it signify?

I'm a very special boy :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:33:27 »
You have a yellow star - what does it signify?

I'm a very special boy :)

:D

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:34:44 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 00:34:50 »
HHHEHEHEHEH
I love Elzy

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 09:10:48 »
MOST OF ALL I THANK WHALEBRO FOR BEING AN ALL SEEING DEITY THAT WATCHES OUT FOR US ALL. AMEN

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 09:12:19 »
Everyone has stars :(

*Tym feels forever alone

Offline Sai

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 09:19:36 »
Everyone has stars :(

*Tym feels forever alone

More
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2