Author Topic: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide  (Read 441882 times)

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
Re: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 10:07:23 »
@MM - have you ever used both the Teflon lubricant and the Krytox on the same switch.  I would think the Teflon stuff would be better suited for the springs, while the Krytox would be better for the sliders.  I vaguely remember reading this somewhere too? Have you tested this?

I have been playing around with that, yes. I am in the middle of moving right now, so my work has been on hold, but I plan on posting more on this very soon. My initial findings were pretty positive, but as time consuming as it was, I couldn't be as thorough as I would have liked to be.

Offline OddOne

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 26 August 2012, 10:38:38 »
I have been playing around with that, yes. I am in the middle of moving right now, so my work has been on hold, but I plan on posting more on this very soon. My initial findings were pretty positive, but as time consuming as it was, I couldn't be as thorough as I would have liked to be.

Cool, very interested to hear more about your findings. Good luck with the move in the mean time.
CM Quickfire Rapid   |   Rosewill RK-9000BR  |  CM Quickfire Rapid  |

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:02:45 »
I'm not sure if I like my lube or not. The good thing is that it drys fast, the bad thing is it drys fast.

I think it would work best if you wanted to open a switch, put a drop of the lube in, close the switch as fast as possible and then shake it or just depress it a couple times to create a micro-film on all the surfaces. I think I found the lazy mans keyboard lube :D
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:04:58 »
this **** is nuts, I'm trying to do it with a toothpick, and in 15 minutes i only got like 5 switches

It also depends on how thorough you are with the lube. Because that sounds about right. I open about 20 at a time, and set them on the table, and lube each spring, then go back and lube the top of the springs and set the stems in all of them, then lube them. Kinda like an assembly line. Reaper and I think Demik have a metal piece that holds switches and stems upside-down which looks amazing. Wish I had one.
not upside down

like this

Show Image

damn, i hate working with more than one switch open at a time. i have a wonderful habit of bending leaves when there are multiple switches open :(
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:10:09 »
At least you didn't put switch bottoms in a ziplock without their tops on... I lost a fair amount from that...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:49:49 »
At least you didn't put switch bottoms in a ziplock without their tops on... I lost a fair amount from that...
looks at my bags of pcb mount switch bottoms...

Offline MMB

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 23:50:37 »
I can't tell you how many damn bags of separate tops and bottom switch housings I have. It's pretty ridiculous.....

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 00:14:43 »
I wasn't the only one?! How many losses have you guys incurred?
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline MMB

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 00:16:45 »
Not really losses, just tons of bags of stuff everywhere lol.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 00:19:23 »
This is maybe 2/3, maybe less, of what I have AFTER selling a few bags.

The switch parts and stuff aren't in this pic.
R.I.P.ster

Offline MMB

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 00:22:40 »
I just moved into a new place, and it's significantly smaller in square footage. I will probably be having a sale soon to dump a lot of extra switches and stuff.

But yeah, I have a very similar collection. I moved about 4 massive boxes of just all keyboard stuff lol

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 00:28:52 »
I dont know what i have or havnt lost as i havnt looked in the bags ill know once I try to build my DOX's though.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 15:27:38 »
MMB, how do you like your new 65cN springs & stickers?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline MMB

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 15:52:23 »
MMB, how do you like your new 65cN springs & stickers?

Heya RiGS - I just moved into a new place, so I am slowly getting my setup going again :)

I hope to use them soon, and post a little review :D

Offline RiGS

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 16:02:34 »
I'm looking forward to reading it. Do you have any other custom springs to compare?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline MMB

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 01:47:54 »
I'm looking forward to reading it. Do you have any other custom springs to compare?

I need to work on getting some different types in, but I would love to test out a few different options. But right now, all I have are your standard Cherry corp fare and the
ones I got from you :D

Offline nntnam

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 05:42:24 »
@MMB, what kind of liquid that you are using to clean the old lube on old/vintage switches?
░▒▓ KMAC | FILCO MJ2 | HHKB | PHANTOM ▓▒░

Offline MMB

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 13:17:12 »
@MMB, what kind of liquid that you are using to clean the old lube on old/vintage switches?

Heya nntam -

I typically use 95% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean old oils as it leaves the surface super clean without residue.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 11:47:44 »
Has anyone tried dipping the springs in 75w90 gear oil with LSD additive?  I.e. this stuff?

I've heard that this is the Koreans preferred method, along with Krytox on the sliders. 

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:02:23 »
Has anyone tried dipping the springs in 75w90 gear oil with LSD additive?  I.e. this stuff?

I've heard that this is the Koreans preferred method, along with Krytox on the sliders.

this would smell terrible.

Offline MMB

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:08:20 »

I don't typically smell my keyboards, but ok :P

But Chris - I would love to try it out. And it's odd that a product is called "LSD".... :P

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:13:05 »
hahaha yeah when I first heard about it I thought the same thing, then I realized that they were talking about "limited slip differential".  lol.

Here's what limmy said about it on the dt lube gb thread: "The engine oil is applied to the springs to reduce scratching noise between metal spring and plastic slider. I use some high viscosity silicone oil for this purpose and it works pretty well as well too. Many say spring lubrication is a must and it certainly is more common mod than slider lubrication."

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:16:46 »

I don't typically smell my keyboards, but ok :P

Hah fair enough, but gear oil has a very strong sulfur smell. You would easily notice it once you entered the room.

Offline MMB

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:25:05 »
I have been using straight up Krytox 205 grease for everything. It's pretty amazing, actually. I use it at all of the lube points. It seems to take care of any scratching sound as well.

Also, as mkawa mentioned, the grease remains 'wet'. So it nicely spreads around and evenly coats the parts.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:31:06 »
Cool thanks!  Maybe I'll just try that then for my first attempt at lubing!  (Also considering something limmy mentioned; using GPL-205 as a base and putting a coat of GPL-105 on top of it for the sliders). 

Approx. how many switches can you get through with 1oz. of GPL-205, using it on the sliders and where the spring meets the housing & slider?

Offline MMB

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:37:15 »
Cool thanks!  Maybe I'll just try that then for my first attempt at lubing!  (Also considering something limmy mentioned; using GPL-205 as a base and putting a coat of GPL-105 on top of it for the sliders). 

Approx. how many switches can you get through with 1oz. of GPL-205, using it on the sliders and where the spring meets the housing & slider?

I have lubed about 4 keyboards so far and it doesn't look like I put much of a dent into it at all. 1oz is actually quite a bit.

This is the syringe I got off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370601788021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I am using it pretty generously as well. So I am sure you wouldn't be going through it too fast. I do have 105 as well, but it has very high viscosity. I wouldn't use it on clicky stems (white, green, blue) as it would prevent the 'click' on the sliding portion of the stem.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:47:57 »
Thanks for all the good info, MM!  This thread is definitely a huge asset to GH. 

I'm waiting for my stickers to arrive before attempting any full keyboard lubing. If I do decide to get some GPL-10x on top of the 205, I'll mess around with different combinations of lube on some extra switches I have sitting around and post my results/opinions here!
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:50:08 by WRXChris »

Offline MMB

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 12:52:14 »
Definitely post your findings here. Really interested in hearing results with different combinations.

I am in a deep search for a KMAC, so hopefully I will find 'lube nirvana' before then, and use it on the KMAC :)

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 13:53:28 »
Miller-Stephenson carries GPL-103 but it is currently out of stock.  I just placed an order for a 1oz needle bottle and they said it should arrive in 3-4 weeks!  It cost $29.50+fedex ground shipping.

Basically, my thought process is that GPL-100 is too thin and volatile and evaporates too quickly, so it's far from ideal for switch lubing.  GPL-105 is very viscous and will likely change the feel of the switches, but probably would be preferential for some people.  GPL-103 is in between, and may be the perfect oil (it is the most popular in Korea).

I'm also going to order some GPL-205 and try combinations of that and the 103, plus i will try them out individually.  I'll definitely post my findings here!

Offline MMB

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 13:57:47 »
I am working on acquiring several different types. Looking forward to hearing your results!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 13:58:03 »
I plan to order some lube once i get some stickers so what should i order then has it been said whats optimal?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 13:59:53 »
I found the silicone Teflon DuPont at Lowes, that's what I'll be using once I get my stickers from Demik

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 14:01:24 »
I found the silicone Teflon DuPont at Lowes, that's what I'll be using once I get my stickers from Demik
I was probably going to go with a krytox variant as its said to be the best but i dont know what variant to go with.

Offline MMB

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 14:10:18 »
I am leaning towards Krytox 205 grease for everything but clicky stems at this point. It's pretty amazing stuff.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 14:13:28 »
I am leaning towards Krytox 205 grease for everything but clicky stems at this point. It's pretty amazing stuff.
well im going ergo clears and/or vintage blacks + 62g springs so i think im fine with that.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 17:01:55 »
I started using a mixed blend of GPL 103 and Krytox grease (205 I think).  Very fancy stuff...

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 18:15:36 »
I was probably going to go with a krytox variant as its said to be the best but i dont know what variant to go with.

It's so expensive compared to the DuPont. 4oz for $5 and it's plastic safe so that's what I'm going to use. IMO lube is lube

Offline MMB

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 18:18:08 »
It's so expensive compared to the DuPont. 4oz for $5 and it's plastic safe so that's what I'm going to use. IMO lube is lube

Well, there's definitely a marked difference in feel between silicone teflon and kyrtox grease. In face, it's very noticeable. But really it depends on personal preference.

I could probably put together some brown switches and lube them differently and send them out to people for the cost of shipping if people are interested in something like that.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 18:21:13 »
IMO lube is lube
imo your o is too simplistic :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 18:21:48 »
Do it, I'd be interested 100%

Offline MMB

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 20:08:15 »
Just arrived:

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 22:10:23 »
Just arrived:

Show Image

O.O where can i get one? Im going to be lubing lots of keyboards that would assist me greatly.

Offline MMB

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 00:07:54 »

Offline MMB

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 00:09:36 »
O.O where can i get one? Im going to be lubing lots of keyboards that would assist me greatly.
[/quote]

They were part of a limited group buy on KBD, I believe. I am not sure if they are making them anymore, sadly. You could always try to put up a WTB thread and see what's out there.

Alternatively, you can take a metal plate from a 104 keyboard and use that as well. Probably glue some legs to it or something like that. That's what I was considering before I got this.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 00:14:30 »

They were part of a limited group buy on KBD, I believe. I am not sure if they are making them anymore, sadly. You could always try to put up a WTB thread and see what's out there.

Alternatively, you can take a metal plate from a 104 keyboard and use that as well. Probably glue some legs to it or something like that. That's what I was considering before I got this.
[/quote]wonder if we coppied it if there would be enough interest to do a groupbuy on gh.

i think ill go with the keyboard plate idea i have 7 wyse boards on their way to me im sure one of thei plates will be suitable i wonder if there will be enough room to drill holes for the stems.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 02:08:54 »
Krytox 105 and 205 arrived today.  I will be turning at least one of my Cherry switch testers into a lube tester before building my Cheat and Phantom.  I've got one of those fancy switch lube plates as well. ;D

Offline MMB

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 03:40:14 »
I will be using some 105 on a couple test switches just to see how it holds up on its own. Maybe ill try a hybrid of 105 and 205, but definitely not on a clicky switch.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 09:15:12 »
So is there a good way to lube clicky switches?  Or does it always screw them up.

Offline MMB

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:12:01 »
It's in the guide :)

Offline limmy

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 06:25:11 »
I have browsed through your guide, MagicMeatball. It is a nice article! I am glad to see more people are experimenting. From experiment results from many people, I hope this post expands and evolves to a even better guide.

I have one comment on the lubing clicky switches. Why would you disassemble the white part of the stem and lube the points indicated in the OP? I understand the points if your goal is to reduce clicking sound, but if it is for smoother sliding action then it is probably not the place to lube. In my personal experience blues were generally more scratch. I think polishing the blue slider part (where it touches the groves) with fine compound would make is less scratch.(I haven't tried this, but it is my conjecture.)

On more thing on Krytox grease and oils. Base oil of GPL205 is GPL105. GPL grease is just GPL oil thickened with PTFE thickener and the last digit of the grease model number indicates which oil was used as base oil.

Krytox grease and oils mix very well, so you could thin any Krytox grease with lighter Krytox oil or the same base oil. For instance, if you want less viscous oil than 105, you could purchase GPL 100(the lightest variant of Krytox GPL oil, available in ebay) and mix.

I have tried GPL 100 on blue MX switches and it didn't kill the click. I applied the lube on the switch housing (black plastic that holds the slider) with a brush. It smoothed the sliding action, but the difference was rather subtle.

If you want to see whether you like certain types of lube jobs, I suggest you lube more than a couple (at least 4 switches) and press them with all of your fingers and try to type. Some lube jobs feels fine when tested individually, but doesn't feel very nice when trying to type fast.

I hope my comments helped.