Author Topic: Need help cutting to a 60%  (Read 1186 times)

Offline marcusant

Need help cutting to a 60%
« on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 22:54:03 »
I'm extremely new to the world of electrical stuff and honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

The main thing that I am wondering is how I could cut a large keyboard to 60% and maintain functionality. How could I keep the PCB functional when cutting half of it off?

Can anyone lead me in the right direction to getting a better understanding with this sort of thing?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Need help cutting to a 60%
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 22:57:20 »
that would be almost impossible. It would mainly depend on the PCB but most boards have the PCB wired in a way that it would be easier to just get a new 60%

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 22:59:24 »
I'm extremely new to the world of electrical stuff and honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

The main thing that I am wondering is how I could cut a large keyboard to 60% and maintain functionality. How could I keep the PCB functional when cutting half of it off?

Can anyone lead me in the right direction to getting a better understanding with this sort of thing?

I doubt very much that this would be feasible.  However, in theory this would be possible.

What you would have to do is follow the traces and then solder jumper wires to reconnect the traces after you cut the PCB up.  However, if you are cutting it up that much and the keyboard doesn't have a separate daughter board, you will have to reconnect the traces back to that and then keep that section of board in the case as well. 

I think your best bet here would be to build one using the had wired method and a having a plate cut.  Yes it will cost a bit more but will electrically have a much more sound board.  Or you could scavenge the classifieds after the GH60's ship and pick one up there.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 04:43:03 »
You have to figure out the matrix before you cut it. Then repair those traces that are still needed (here the black wires on the main pcb):

As you can see, only a few repairs were necessary on this Cherry pcb.

Before I cut it, I drew a line where the cut was going to be. Then added row/column numbers to the traces that crossed this line and would be cut.

New controller in the lower right.

Safety warning: pcbs contain Formaldehyde. Do the cutting outside, wear a respirator. Don't breathe the dust.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2018, 10:00:42 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today