Author Topic: IBM Model M NEW 6ft SDL 6 Pin to USB Converter cables and adapters available  (Read 38967 times)

Offline orihalcon

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello everyone! 

I sell 6ft IBM Model M SDL 6 Pin to USB converter cables eBay and have had several satisfied buyers suggest that I post in these forums to let other IBM Model M keyboard enthusiasts know about them.

These cables will not drop data, do allow for high current draw, do not timeout after periods of inactivity, and do not require drivers for any modern operating systems including Windows 2000 and up, MacOSX, any recent version of Linux or Unix, etc.

These cables work only for keyboard functions, meaning that they will ignore trackball or other pointing devices that a few models of IBM type M have built in.  You can check out my ebay auctions includings pictures by searching ebay for: IBM SDL USB cable.

If you’re interested in these, I can sell them through direct paypal invoice @ $35 each.  I also have 6 inch PS2 to USB adapters that use the same chipset available @ $13 each.  All prices include shipping to the USA.  International shipping will be calculated based on location.  I can also do bulk discounts on orders of 10 or more.  If interested, PM me with quantity of each you want and include your paypal email address and I’ll get a paypal invoice sent.  I can also make the 10ft USB converter cables shorter at no additional charge, but they’ll be 10ft unless you let me know otherwise.

Here are a just a few feedback comments I’ve received on ebay from buyers that purchased these cables:

“Very good product, custom length just as I requested, recommended”
“Excellent hard to find item. Works exactly as described. Speedy delivery.Thanks.”
“Fantastic! Wish I could write more. 10 year problem is solved. Works perfectly!”
“Excellent product, and shipped literally minutes after payment. Wow!”

You may return these to me for a full refund if you are unsatisfied for ANY reason.  If you are unsure if they can handle any specific key combinations where other PS2 adapters have failed you in the past, just let me know, and I’ll test it with my IBM Model M keyboard and let you know if it works.  I haven’t come across any yet.

I can also make other custom cables using brand new SDL 6 pin connectors, so let me know if you’d like other custom SDL cables made.   Please ask any questions you may have!

« Last Edit: Wed, 09 April 2014, 16:05:10 by orihalcon »

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Welcome to Geekhack!

I have one of your cables en-route me as we speak
Keyboardless

Offline Ascaii

Hi there!

quick question...how is the price for international shipping. I would be interested to know the price including shipping if I order one, two, or 10 cables. I live in germany.

thanks,
Chris
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Who wants to do a GB :P ??

Offline bazemk1979

GB would be nice,planning on getting IBM with the grey logo/detachable cable.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Ascaii

I have ordered a cable. Will review when it gets here.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Sweet, if it works well I'll start a GB in the classifieds.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
I have one already, it's amazing :thumb:

Beats the heck out of using a Blue Cube every time, or doing a USB conversion mod
Keyboardless

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
tsangan convinced me to buy one, so i did.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Dammit you guys. Whatever I'll try anyway in a few weeks...

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Going to give one a try too.  If it works, it will be perfect for SSK laptop use!
Russ

Offline ed_avis

Looks great but what about later Model Ms that don't have the removable cable?  Is it possible to mod them with an SDL socket so this cable can be used?

A pity that mouse functionality isn't included, otherwise the cable would be a lovely companion for the M4-1.  I'd buy three such for $40 each, but I appreciate the market for kb+mouse cables is smaller than that for just keyboard.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
He offers a PS/2 to USB version of the same thing for about half the price.  See the original post.  That will take care of the non-removable cable keyboards.
Russ

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
Just got mine.  One word:  sweet.

Offline bazemk1979

sent OP/seller PM on ebay about if he wants me to run interest check for his cables, not experienced with it so I guess all would be payed to him directly and told him to give me price incl shipping on dependable of how many cables will be ordered,lets see what he thinks.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
I bought a ps2 to USB cable from him, super quick shipping. Testing tonight.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
I've been using mine for about a week now.  The SDL version seems solid.  I've been using it on my main machine for work and a bit of gaming.  No issues to report.

I've also been using the PS/2 version with a Cherry keyboard on my MacBook Pro via a KVM.  The only issue there is when I am using it on the PC that its also attached to the same KVM.  When it's still running from BIOS, each key press generates multiple presses.  This is seen in the bios and in the bootloader menu.  It works fine from the OS (Windows and Linux).  It might just be a bios quirk, but my other adapter didn't do this.
Russ

Offline KylJoy

I just bought one.  I had already bought one of his SDL to PS2 cables and it worked great.  It is very nice that these are being made and offered.

Offline jrockroll

yap works like a charm

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
I should mention that the adapters don't work any better on my KVM with a Model M on the other end.  I know it's the KVM that is not able to supply the current, but I just thought I'd mention that.
Russ

Offline Autolyze

I ordered one of the SDL to USB cables and a PS/2 to USB adapter from orihalcon, and they're both great so far. Back before I went keyboard crazy, I was fine with just leaving a PS/2 keyboard plugged in all the time, but now I really appreciate being able to hotswap boards easily.

Offline Ascaii

I have received my cable and it is great to use. Using it on my SSK for the past week, no problems at all. Go for em, guys!

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
I hope this isn't considered thread-crapping for divulging this here.  The PS/2 version is available elsewhere, but the OP is selling it at a very good price and obviously he is the only one setup for installing SDL connectors.

The chipset is "Celectronic GmbH" (0x154a), but the manufacturer appears to be ID Innovations.  They show the PS/2 version right on their website.  The 6" version is USB-UA-001.  They have other lengths too.  I'm guess the OP is getting a custom length and cutting-off the PS/2 connector.  

ID markets it as a high-end point-of-sale adapter, which may explain why it works well for Model Ms.  It explicitly doesn't support remote wakeup (the attribute is not set), so the host won't put it into low power.  Not something you'd want in a normal USB device (especially when attached to a laptop), but it's exactly what we want in a high-performance keyboard adapter.

Anyway, that's the skinny.  It's a good product.  I just got 2 more.
Russ

Offline purpletiesto

Re: IBM Model M NEW 10ft SDL 6 Pin to USB Converter cables and adapters available
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 11:55:20 »
Are you still selling these?

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: IBM Model M NEW 10ft SDL 6 Pin to USB Converter cables and adapters available
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 07:29:28 »
I have received my cable and it is great to use. Using it on my SSK for the past week, no problems at all. Go for em, guys!

Worth it's weight in GOLD......bought 2 for my old Model M's.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 08:49:21 »

Worth it's weight in GOLD......bought 2 for my old Model M's.

Ditto.  I love mine.  It's a much more elegant solution than those clunky AT adapters-->PS/2 to USB converters.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 10:43:30 »
When I ordered, he was only selling the 6-footers.

Did anybody here get a 10-footer, and did you have a problem with it?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 13:58:47 »
Wow, how did I miss this? I'll be ordering one for my old (new) '89 Model M! Fantastic solution!

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 17:16:35 »
Yes, I have one and yes it has issues.  It works except for the LEDs.  They flash and then never work again.  The keyboard works fine otherwise, though.  There must be a current surge at powerup that sags too much over the long cable or maybe the lines are too noisy (needs pull ups in the keyboard).  I also have a 6 and 3 footer and they are fine.

If you need a long cable, use a USB extension instead and get the short version.
Russ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 17:37:16 »
Mainly I was curious, mine is long enough.

I have a couple of powered USB hubs, so I assume that they provide some extra juice.

Are there any issues with connecting through them? I am not a gamer so minor speed reductions do not bother me.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Grond

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 06:10:00 »
I use the cable with my ssk and it's flawless, I would recommend it.

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 15:34:16 »
I have a 10' USB cable and my numlock light does not work.  Mine has been in a box for months though so I just discovered the issue.

I already PM'd to see what I can do about that.
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 16:01:37 »
I was probably going to cut and splice the cable shorter.
Russ

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 16:31:54 »
The cable looks so good though ... the converter just makes the the USB connector is bit longer than normal.  It looks like a typical USB cable.  If I splice it myself it will look ... bad.
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 09:56:11 »
These cables looks great: much more modern than the "good old" grey coiled original cables.

However I remember one issue about the old Model Ms and the PS/2 plug not working in every motherboard.  So "just in case" I did buy two "blue cubes" PS/2 -> USB adapters (as a side-benefit USB is hot-pluggable without risking to damage the motherboard).

I also remember something about not every PS/2 -> USB adapters being compatible with every motherboard.  Hence all the rage here around the famous "blue cube" adapters.

What about the cables here?  Isn't there potentially an issue on some motherboards where they wouldn't work (and where a PS/2 -> USB "blue cube" would work)?
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 09:48:20 »
Yes, the Blue Cube is an adapter that is known to work with the power hungry Model M's.  This adapter is another one.  There is also the USB to PS/2 version.  I posted the technical details in a previous post.
Russ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 10:05:23 »
just chiming in (again?) to say that these are awesome, and that i much prefer them to the grey coils + blue cube. hoping orihalcon comes back to vend on geekhack (i hate ebay with a passion  >:D)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 10:52:29 »
just brought one to go with the model M i just brought :) can't wait.

Offline wogdog

Re: IBM Model M NEW 6ft SDL 6 Pin to USB Converter cables and adapters available
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 18:33:53 »
Received mine in the mail last week. Been using it since then. It works as advertised. Nice finish on the cable. Recommended.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Re: IBM Model M NEW 6ft SDL 6 Pin to USB Converter cables and adapters available
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 06:57:25 »
Hey, I've got one few months ago and using it since then with no issues. Great deal.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 10:32:24 »
Nice and welcome! For those who bought a sleeved sdl to USB cable or USB with ps2 conversion, I got the cable from this guy!

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 07:24:28 »
Were the price on these raised? I'm now seeing them sell for $40 from him.

Offline mr_schnrub

• Click Click Doin the Click
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 07:39:32 »
Yep, $40. Looks like the price has gone up.

These do look quite schmick but I still love the ol'skool curly cable...
4 x IBM 1391401 | IBM 1390120 | IBM SSK 1397681 | Unicomp UB4041A

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 08:02:21 »
I wonder why the price went up. The price of his PS/2 to SDL cables remained the same price...

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 08:14:32 »
Seems like I see price hikes when ever it is payday...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 10:41:27 »
He had to buy something like a huge case of SDL connectors, which was probably pretty pricey, and he is building them himself.

Assume $10+ for parts and materials, $10+ for labor, and $6+ for shipping, and that is not a tremendous amount of profit.

I have 2 of these and they are very handsome and  well-made. They have always performed flawlessly as well.

And, unless you can use multiple Model Ms simultaneously, you only need 1 per user.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 11:46:04 »
Oh, I know. Not saying that it isn't worthwhile, just my luck. I had just looked a couple days ago, and they were still the old price. Today is payday, and going to go grab one, and new price.

Offline Mr. C

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 19:47:26 »
I got one about a year ago for my SSK. Works fine, not that I use that keyboard much. He ships very fast. Great service. I  thought about getting a couple more for the model Ms in my closet, but I'm not likely to use those much either.