Author Topic: proposal: Phantom-like plate  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Laser

proposal: Phantom-like plate
« on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 12:43:51 »

CM proves to be quite innovative (first the greens, now the topre) - how about another step?

As almost everybody knows, the Phantom keyboard has a special plate with specially prepared cherry mx switch holes, so that one can change the switch top part (and thus, the spring and/or the switch type) *without desoldering*. This is the best of the both worlds - plate-mounted switches and easy switch swapping. Why not have such a plate on CM boards?

While at first it may seem like a "shoot yourself in the foot" tactic (people won't need to buy more than one keyboard, in order to test different switches), i think, on the contrary, it would prove a great success (if the feature is given enough publicity) - *more* people will buy at least one of these modable CM boards, and probably also a TKL model too (a reason to go to other smaller layouts as well). CM would be *the only* one mass-producing keyboards with such a feature.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
Re: proposal: Phantom-like plate
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:10:00 »
We're gonna need a large enough base to petition for this first. All of the keyboard enthusiast forums isn't gonna suffice. However, I'd be SO in if the plate would be aluminium or steel! If not, a cheap customizable acrylic plate works too.
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:17:40 »
No, for many reasons. The main one being warranty, there is no way that I can think of how they could keep a warranty on a keyboard like that. Some idiot who knows nothing about keyboards would buy it, try to mod it, screw up and then try to RMA is or return it to the retailer then either CM or the retailer would be out the money. It just isn't worth it imo.

Just because they are the only one doing something doesn't mean it is going to be some huge success, your average buyers isn't going to care one bit and anyone who would care that much could just get an aftermarket plate.

Offline Laser

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:31:52 »
1st: Warranty could be made void when opening the case.
2nd: With an aftermarket plate, one still has to desolder & resolder all the switches, *once*.

Well, it's just a proposal. Somehow, i thought that making the plate a cutout one could be not such a difficult change in the production line.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:37:02 »
2nd: With an aftermarket plate, one still has to desolder & resolder all the switches, *once*.

Well, it's just a proposal. Somehow, i thought that making the plate a cutout one could be not such a difficult change in the production line.

1. You don't need to remove the case to get to the plate.
2. Why would you need to desolder and resolder?

IDK, I mean it is possible for them to do it but I am pretty sure they have said no to this before in a thread.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:38:10 »

You wouldn't have to open the case to remove the switches with this kind of a plate. So #1 would be moot. Unless CM gets into the biz of selling after market parts (i.e. stems, springs, etc..) I also have doubts that this will ever happen.

There's just too much that can go wrong when you give someone the ability to mod their own switches this way. Also you could argue that because CM designed the plate this way, even though they didn't "officially" state this was allowed, people will state that it was "implied". Because you know they're not going to add this feature without marking it in some way.

I know it's a lot of extra work, but unfortuntlly for the small (yet growing) keyboard community, custom aftermarket plates are the way to go.

Also, I've heard some mention that the switches aren't as tight when using the other plate design, however I've never noticed it. I believe this is why the KMAC's never offered that option, but I could be mistaken.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 February 2014, 14:40:02 by Wildcard »

Offline Laser

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:57:40 »

One could say that any keyboard with PCB-mounted switches is also "inviting" their users to mod it, yet such keyboards exists, and offer warranty.
It's a pity that even the keyboard fans are searching for arguments against something they would like to have, instead of finding solutions ;)
It's *almost* like they *want* to have a modding exclusivity.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:11:50 »

One could say that any keyboard with PCB-mounted switches is also "inviting" their users to mod it, yet such keyboards exists, and offer warranty.
It's a pity that even the keyboard fans are searching for arguments against something they would like to have, instead of finding solutions ;)
It's *almost* like they *want* to have a modding exclusivity.
Whatever you say, if you can't look at it from both sides then don't even bother asking for opinions. As I said, I am almost positive a cooler master employee said they are NOT interested in doing exactly what you are asking for, for the exact reason I am stating.

They were bouncing around the idea but said nothing like that is going to happen unless they could have it where the whole switch just pops out like its a piece of lego on the pcb.

Just because you (not you personally, just the consumer) own a mechanical keyboard, doesn't mean that you are all the sudden an expert or understand what you are doing.

Offline Laser

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:31:12 »
Well, if CM already said why they won't do it, then it's probably settled.

I already resoldered all my blue switches with black springs, and i'm not an expert indeed. But i'd prefer not to do it again, as a matter of ... time.
Perhaps the keyboard should also have the keycaps glued on the switch top, or a non-expert consumer might broke a key or something, while trying to change it.

In another words, if one proposes a modable keyboard, yes, it would be especially to invite people to mod the heck out of it. If they pay for it, why not.

« Last Edit: Sun, 02 February 2014, 18:33:06 by Laser »