Author Topic: [IC] Vintage typewriter inspired cap sets  (Read 34941 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [IC] Vintage typewriter inspired cap sets
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:24:32 »
Yeah, they are :(  I used to think they had a teal color, but it was just someone's photograph not presenting the colors accurately.  What I thought was teal I now have on my WEY keyboard, and it's actually a muted grayish green.  The only turquoise/teal color they now offer was from IvanIvanovich's order of CMYK, and that's a pretty saturated cyan/turquoise.

Apparently GMK is receptive to creating custom colors, but likely won't make them for the 250-set MOQ (only for the original 400 MOQ).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:27:21 »
Here's a slightly closer match to the colors:

Yeah, they have a pretty cyan/turquoise, but nothing that would work for the set.  I might be able to get something similar to the Royal Apollo GT 10 set, but the others will just be too far off.  I might try and get some pictures later to show how far off the colors are.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:21:11 »
Totally digging the Royal Apollo set
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:24:59 »
I have seen this for a while, are you still considering it?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:31:34 »

Yeah, I've just been working on getting color samples so that I can make sure everything looks good together.  The GMK samples just came in and samwisekoi just graciously offered to let me borrow his SP ring.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:34:42 »

Yeah, I've just been working on getting color samples so that I can make sure everything looks good together.  The GMK samples just came in and samwisekoi just graciously offered to let me borrow his SP ring.

OK, I'll be checking the thread. Thank you very much for the answer. Have you considered pbt with sublimated legends? or you are only after double shots?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 09:57:58 »
You'd run into worse color matching problems with dyesub, not to mention that it wouldn't work with the modifiers on most sets and the alphas on some. Doubleshot is the only way most of these will work.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 10:53:29 »
You'd run into worse color matching problems with dyesub, not to mention that it wouldn't work with the modifiers on most sets and the alphas on some. Doubleshot is the only way most of these will work.

Yeah, you are right. DS will also get a closer look to the originals I suppose.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 11:04:28 »
Royal and Underwood are looking banging. I would consider getting these two if I had a choice.

Offline jebbs

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 01:17:09 »
I quite like the Princess 300.  Will stick around for updates.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 09:13:47 »
if they were real vintage typewriters from 19th-early20th century we should be seeing something like the retro DCS - big round keys with big fonts

this looks like boring old electric typewriters to me.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 11:42:33 »
Got the color rings from SamwiseKoi yesterday and I'll start working out the colors for SP since it looks like GMK just doesn't have close enough colors.

if they were real vintage typewriters from 19th-early20th century we should be seeing something like the retro DCS - big round keys with big fonts

this looks like boring old electric typewriters to me.

If you look at the IC form, you'll see that the mockups aren't necessarily indicative of the final product.  They could be DSA or DCS and they could be SP's legend, Cherry legend, or the large and centered legend.

If you still feel that way after looking at the form, then don't participate when the GB goes live.  No one is forcing you to buy them.  Like I said, these are vintage inspired color ways.  I'm not trying to perfectly replicate vintage typewriters, be they the manual or electric ones that inspired the sets.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:48:54 by nubbinator »

Offline ephrog

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 23:27:52 »
I cannot explain how much I want that Smith Corona set.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 23:36:43 »
I'm liking the Princess 300, Signature 511, & Triumph De Jur Perfekt.     Especially if they were DSA.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:19:29 »
I've been following this on and off and finally decided to throw my votes in.  I'd like to see at least one of these make their way to production. 

Can you explain what the difference between Princess 300 and Raindrop would be though?  Because I'm having a hard time seeing it as being significantly different.  (unless it's different color choices, which is fine)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:24:36 »
They need big letters like 7bit's "round 3".

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 20:01:30 »
I've been following this on and off and finally decided to throw my votes in.  I'd like to see at least one of these make their way to production. 

Can you explain what the difference between Princess 300 and Raindrop would be though?  Because I'm having a hard time seeing it as being significantly different.  (unless it's different color choices, which is fine)

Good question.  To me, they are considerably different, but it may not be different enough for some people and I may just have to try and score myself a RainDrop set, then start a Princess 300 RainDrop mod Group Buy for those interested in the design.

Here's Raindrop colors and Princess 300 proposed colors side by side:

Darker Picture
More

Lighter picture
More

And all three of the proposed colors:

Lighter picture:

More

Royal Apollo GT colors (two sets, the greys are incredibly close in color, don't let the different exposure fool you)

Color set 1:

Additional picture:

More

Color Set 2:

Additional pictures:

More

Underwood Universal:

Additional pictures:

More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 20:05:12 »
I see the difference now, thanks for the clarification.   :thumb:  I really like the look of the blue in the Princess 300 now that you've done the side by side / color chip comparison.  It's got a great vintage/muted look to it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 20:16:44 »
That's exactly what I was aiming for.  I really want to capture some of that vintage feel in the color choices.  It really hasn't been easy picking the right red, grey, and blue since there are so many options and I want to make sure they all play well together while still giving the vintage vibe.  I'm still working on the colors for the other two sets as well as trying out some other ideas.  There are so many options for some of the sets that it becomes a little difficult to pick the right color sometimes because others could work as well.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 20:39:11 »
That Royal Apollo is just gorgeous
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 15:04:48 »

I have to agree.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ericdrum

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 16:15:57 »

Love it too. I voted for that one.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:02:45 »
Gimme dat apollo

so nice
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline genkidama

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 21:03:33 »
It's really nice that this set is getting more interest!
I am still voting for the same sets as I did last time, but wanted to remember to include an ISO Kit for those who need it like I do :)

Keep it going bro!
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 11:02:57 »
Royal Apollo - Set #1 looks great.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 17:27:13 »
Royal Apollo GT 10 - SP colors GT, YL, WCK, GSP, YCC, GTA (probably do grey alphas and grey legends the same grey or do orange on cream, but needed some more contrast in the small picture)

Show Image

This is awesome.  Would purchase.

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:26:42 »
I got home too late to photograph the last colors I'm thinking of doing for the remaining sets.  Due to the recent interest in the Apollo 10 GT, I may run that one first. 

I'm also debating doing an SP Underwood Universal or a "close enough" GMK run of it.  I love some GMK goodness, so I'll have to decide later.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:40:41 »
I got home too late to photograph the last colors I'm thinking of doing for the remaining sets.  Due to the recent interest in the Apollo 10 GT, I may run that one first. 

I'm also debating doing an SP Underwood Universal or a "close enough" GMK run of it.  I love some GMK goodness, so I'll have to decide later.

Apollo 10 GT done by GMK would be sick.

If you go with SP are you going with DCS profile?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:46:12 »
GMK doesn't have anywhere near the right colors for Apollo 10 GT unfortunately, just the "close enough" colors for the Underwood Universal.  I'm also not sure they'd do custom colors.  I'll try and post the colors as comparison later so you can see.

I plan on doing DSA for the profile and maybe a second run later in DCS.  DSA goes more with the vintage vibe.

Also, I'm going to see what I can do for a discount for someone who comes up with a nice custom legend for the Winkey and/or menu key, even if it means it will come out of my own pocket.  I'd love to see some ideas from people.  I was thinking a dumbed down typewriter, the Royal or TA logo, or something else.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:06:22 »
GMK doesn't have anywhere near the right colors for Apollo 10 GT unfortunately, just the "close enough" colors for the Underwood Universal.  I'm also not sure they'd do custom colors.  I'll try and post the colors as comparison later so you can see.

I plan on doing DSA for the profile and maybe a second run later in DCS.  DSA goes more with the vintage vibe.

Also, I'm going to see what I can do for a discount for someone who comes up with a nice custom legend for the Winkey and/or menu key, even if it means it will come out of my own pocket.  I'd love to see some ideas from people.  I was thinking a dumbed down typewriter, the Royal or TA logo, or something else.

Ah I see.  So it would be Apollo 10 GT in DSA?   I agree the vintage look of DSA would work well.

As for the "close enough" colors for Underwood Universal I would like almost anything in GMK (especially Princess 300) ;D

More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:09:38 »
Unfortunately, Underwood Universal is the only one with "close enough" colors for GMK.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:10:59 »
Unfortunately, Underwood Universal is the only one with "close enough" colors for GMK.

That would still look very badass.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:42:17 »
+1 for making GMK work.  As much as I love the way the SP sets look, I usually wind up not using them because I'm not a huge fan of the feel.  So if you could make GMK work, I'd at least use it more.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:32:53 »
Sounds promising :)
I hope the DCS profile GB will come around as I'm not a fan of the DSA profile But it's true it's more the right profile for such an old-fashioned set. As I have no experience with either SP or GMK I like both ^^ Is it a big difference between them in cost?
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:44:51 »
DSA Triumph De Jur Perfekt would be legit!
Underwood and 511 are killer too.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:52:44 »
+1 for making GMK work.  As much as I love the way the SP sets look, I usually wind up not using them because I'm not a huge fan of the feel.  So if you could make GMK work, I'd at least use it more.

I'll try and get the pictures up tonight for comparison.  I'd love some GMK, but we'll see.  If I do go GMK, I'll be trying to see if I can get Bunnylake to help run it since they have an infrastructure in place already and I don't really have the time to set up a DBA or something to make the tax issues less of a deal.

Sounds promising :)
I hope the DCS profile GB will come around as I'm not a fan of the DSA profile But it's true it's more the right profile for such an old-fashioned set. As I have no experience with either SP or GMK I like both ^^ Is it a big difference between them in cost?

GMK demands a premium.  You also can't get custom legends and the like with it.  However, it is much thicker and the caps are fantastic feeling.

DSA Triumph De Jur Perfekt would be legit!
Underwood and 511 are killer too.

I'm not sure I can find the right colors for the De Jur Perfekt.  I'm trying to match some, but I'm not 100% happy with the colors.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 22:01:09 »
As promised, GMK "close enough" Underwood Universal.  I quite like it, but I like the SP colors better.

And here's Smith Corona (or closest I could do that looked good):

And Signature 511:

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 22:27:00 by nubbinator »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 22:17:02 »
As promised, GMK "close enough" Underwood Universal.  I quite like it, but I like the SP colors better.

Show Image

And Signature 511:

Show Image

They would all look great.  I like the Signature 511 better then the Smith Corona. (I love the cream alphas on the Princess 300)

And green GMK key cap looks awesome.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:13:47 »
Trying to get things figured out with PMK since it's bloody unintuitive to sign up to set up a GB.  Given the recent love for the Apollo GT 10, I think that's the one I'll be doing. 

To make it more affordable, I plan on doing something a little different.  Since it's a stripe set, I'll be doing a base set comprised of your Ctrl/Alt/Spacebar, Shift, Caps/Enter, and Tab/\| row and the option for a number stripe for 60% boards or a Function row strip for Tenkeyless.  I'm still not sure if I'll build in the Tsangan.  Sorry ISO people, but ISO will be separate, as will the numpad.  I'm also debating adding a blank row to the numpad for people who have independent numpads.  So, yeah, this will happen in the near future, I'm just getting stuff finalized.

Also, I'll be talking to Mkawa about using the Cherry legend. 

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:43:24 »
Trying to get things figured out with PMK since it's bloody unintuitive to sign up to set up a GB.  Given the recent love for the Apollo GT 10, I think that's the one I'll be doing. 

To make it more affordable, I plan on doing something a little different.  Since it's a stripe set, I'll be doing a base set comprised of your Ctrl/Alt/Spacebar, Shift, Caps/Enter, and Tab/\| row and the option for a number stripe for 60% boards or a Function row strip for Tenkeyless.  I'm still not sure if I'll build in the Tsangan.  Sorry ISO people, but ISO will be separate, as will the numpad.  I'm also debating adding a blank row to the numpad for people who have independent numpads.  So, yeah, this will happen in the near future, I'm just getting stuff finalized.

Great news :)

So you mentioned before that you would probably use DSA profile.  Are you still going with that?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:50:22 »
Yup, DSA is the plan.  I loathe SA and DSA is more in line with the "vintage" feel, so I'm going that route over DCS.  I'll also be talking to Bunny about "close enough" Underwood since I know he doesn't want to do SP anymore and I don't want to set up a DBA to run a GB.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 07:23:48 »
So would I be correct to summarise that we are looking at a possible Apollo GT colour scheme, in DSA profile.

Number or Function stripe will be optional meaning - included in the base set as extras?

Number pad and ISO separate kits.

Tsangan kit likely to be a separate accessory.

Cherry legends?

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 April 2014, 07:26:25 by okwchin »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 08:23:59 »
Please share a mockup of the Apollo GT set and subsets.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 08:27:50 »
Signature 511 or the Underwood Universal in DCS profile with Cherry font =D
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 08:51:59 »
So would I be correct to summarise that we are looking at a possible Apollo GT colour scheme, in DSA profile.

That is looking like it's the one I'll be doing first, yes.

Number or Function stripe will be optional meaning - included in the base set as extras?

Given the design of the set with the stripe, it makes sense to offer it as a base sent of modifier rows from Ctrl/Alt/Win/Space up to Tab and Alpha rows ZXCV to QWER.  To complete the set, you'd need to buy either a TKL stripe with number row like you see in the OP or a number row stripe for full sized/TKL and 60% keyboard respectively.

Number pad and ISO separate kits.

Yes

Tsangan kit likely to be a separate accessory.

Yes

Cherry legends?

Waiting to hear back from Hashbaz on that one.  So far no response.

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:00:49 »
'm probably late to the game on this one but I'm digging Triumph , Underwood, and Princess as far as color ways.  The two-tone browns with the green is just super appealing to me.  I'd be more inclined toward SA or DSA for a profile.
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 18:37:05 »
I know the profile preferences are entirely personal, but I think DSA may appeal to a wider group of people, because the taller SA may look a little out of place in small keyboards like 60%. Also DSA matches the retro style for a set like this.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 18:43:10 »
doesn;t nubbinator absolutely hate SA?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 19:47:00 »

Hate is putting it mildly.  If there were a word stronger than abhor, despise, or execrate, I would use it to describe my feeling toward SA. SA is anathema to me.

And like ideus said, DSA generally holds wider appeal than SA, though the last few SA sets have done well.  I'd be okay with DCS also, but I think DSA fits the retro feel better.

Offline okwchin

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 00:48:19 »

Hate is putting it mildly.  If there were a word stronger than abhor, despise, or execrate, I would use it to describe my feeling toward SA. SA is anathema to me.

And like ideus said, DSA generally holds wider appeal than SA, though the last few SA sets have done well.  I'd be okay with DCS also, but I think DSA fits the retro feel better.

This set in DCS certainly could look good, but agree that DSA fits this theme better.

If cherry font is not happening, what would the next option be. I am not too fussed, and both large font, or something clean would work well for this theme.