Author Topic: [IC] Chinese (Simplified)/English keycap set?  (Read 8884 times)

Offline sublime

[IC] Chinese (Simplified)/English keycap set?
« on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 07:28:10 »
Hey all,

I have looked high-and-low for Chinese keycaps and are only able to find Ducky ones (which are all basically sold out).

I'm posting here because I would be willing to run a groupbuy if there's enough interest in getting a quality set.

I'm thinking along the lines of Imsto's Hangul caps:

Any interest? I really would like a set of quality caps, and am willing to run a GB.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:37:09 by reaper »

Offline cphead

Re: Chinese (Simplified)/English keycap set?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 10:48:18 »
*interest*

Offline sublime

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 11:32:17 »
*interest*

Very good! First one, we're on a roll.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 11:43:12 »
So who will you get the caps from? What material? Why should be trust you with our money? :D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 11:47:29 »
If you planned on using imsto and Cherry thick, you can always suggest it for next run of my groupbuy fullsets. Probably able to have less set that way instead of having to meet a MOQ on it's own.

Offline sublime

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 11:57:30 »
So who will you get the caps from? What material? Why should be trust you with our money? :D

IMSTO, SP, which do you recommend? PBT.

You should trust me because I like keyboards! Also, I'm not out to get an angry community on my tail haha

If you planned on using imsto and Cherry thick, you can always suggest it for next run of my groupbuy fullsets. Probably able to have less set that way instead of having to meet a MOQ on it's own.

I was considering that actually. I'll do quick set sketch after classes today. We could talk out the details so I'm not laying all the burden on yourself. That's probably a better idea anyway.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 12:34:06 »
Yeah that would be great, get a mock up done if you want to use some other typeface and just post it up in my IC thread. Having it as part of my buy can only have to reach 20 set instead 300 if you went alone.

Offline justnits

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 20:03:11 »
english legend and chinese sublegend with another colour tone? definitely interested!
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline fart_toast

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 14:07:02 »
If pbt and we can do an ISO set (additional small set of additional keys to main set maybe) that'd be awesome

Offline Monophonic

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 03:44:03 »
I'm not interested, but I'll give this a bump because I know how hard this kind of stuff is to get. Getting a Korean keyboard was kind of a *****. Luckily, I happened to be in Korea at one time and picked one up while I was there.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 04:02:49 »
Definitely would buy if I could see mockups. To be completely honest though, I'm rather reluctant to buy from members who are not reputable on geekhack simply because money is rather hard to come by for a poor student. Nothing meant personally to OP, that's just how I feel about everyone in general.

But yes, love the idea!

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 12:43:16 »
Don't most people use Pinyin? Sadly my Korean and chinese are both 3rd grade level =.= sucks to learn both at once and not be good at either.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 16:05:12 »
Actually, I think you're right. I know for the AP Chinese exam everything was typed in pinyin, and as far as I can tell from my relatives' computers, they also type in pinyin. I would mostly just want it for the novelty factor, as I've never seen anything like that before and it would be more relevant to me than Hangul keycaps (although I would love to get a set of those too).

And consider yourself at least better off than those who don't know any second language at all  :p

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 00:05:59 »
Actually, I think you're right. I know for the AP Chinese exam everything was typed in pinyin, and as far as I can tell from my relatives' computers, they also type in pinyin. I would mostly just want it for the novelty factor, as I've never seen anything like that before and it would be more relevant to me than Hangul keycaps (although I would love to get a set of those too).

And consider yourself at least better off than those who don't know any second language at all  :p

Mhm, actually when you think about it chinese lettering and pinyin don't go exactly hand in hand, so in the end it wouldn't even work at least for Traditional. But it would definitely be nice. I think Japanese Kanji is close enough since it does share some words with Mandarin.

Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 00:19:51 »
lol ap chinese

ap chinese--all computer

apcs: all hand written

but yea, apart from taiwan who uses their system, simplified chinese is pretty much all pinyin

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 01:11:03 »
It would be very interesting to see if this set actually happens. It may mean GH has a nice proportion of people who also speaks Chinese.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 01:17:41 »
It would be very interesting to see if this set actually happens. It may mean GH has a nice proportion of people who also speaks Chinese.

but most people who type these days are just using pinyin.
Even those of us from Taiwan aren't using the zhuyin fuhao way of typing in the 90s/early 2000s

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 01:19:28 »

Even those of us from Taiwan aren't using the zhuyin fuhao way of typing in the 90s/early 2000s

Could you ellaborate on your comments? I am not familiar with the terms, nor Chinese types or versions.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 01:24:14 »

Could you ellaborate on your comments? I am not familiar with the terms, nor Chinese types or versions.

pinyin is basically using english letters to spell chinese words phonetically.
It is widely adopted as the way to type/pronounce chinese, especially by those in Mainland China and Hong Kong for Simplified Chinese

Taiwan still using Traditional Chinese, which used the zhuyin fuhao system that was basically the phonetic alphabet for chinese.  They are their own characters with their own sounds. 

I assume you know Chinese words are "hanzi".  As they're characters that originally were pictograms.

Anyway, the characters "sounds" are i guess "spelled" out by pinyin.

If you wanna know more, just check wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanyu_Pinyin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuyin_Fuhao
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_characters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_characters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Chinese_characters

*edit to be on topic*
The "ducky" ones are the zhuyin fuhao
as seen on my old YOTD keyboard

I believe those who are classically trained at typing chinese still use this format in taiwan.
But most of the youth these days are just using pinyin for typing chinese.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 March 2014, 01:26:56 by projectD »

Offline YongJK

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 03:01:59 »
yes please ivan.
I need chinese/hangul badly.
Keyboard: PLU ML87 Mx Blue

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 08:09:36 »
I can offer these for sure... but I have no clue about what layout differences and which one(s) will be wanted. Will definitely need to see some mock up and/or existing keyboard example photo so it can be made correctly.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 09:02:55 »

It is widely adopted as the way to type/pronounce chinese, especially by those in Mainland China and Hong Kong for Simplified Chinese

Taiwan still using Traditional Chinese, which used the zhuyin fuhao system that was basically the phonetic alphabet for chinese.  They are their own characters with their own sounds. 

I assume you know Chinese words are "hanzi".  As they're characters that originally were pictograms.

*edit to be on topic*
Show Image

I believe those who are classically trained at typing chinese still use this format in taiwan.

And, zhuyin fuhao matches pinyin phonetics? I guess no, the question is intended to understand if using the legends in zhunyin fuhao do not affect the phonetics based on pinyin, thus it may be the way to go for a chinese key set...

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 10:34:14 »

*edit to be on topic*
Show Image

And, zhuyin fuhao matches pinyin phonetics? I guess no, the question is intended to understand if using the legends in zhunyin fuhao do not affect the phonetics based on pinyin, thus it may be the way to go for a chinese key set...

it matches in the sense that it sounds the same obviously since chinese words sound what they're suppose to sound.

are you asking me if I type the word 人 (Man or People) in chinese:

To type it in pinyin would just typing on your normal english keyboard the letters r-e-n. 

For reference here's a standard zhuyin fuhao keyboard layout:

For typing in zhuyin fuhao keyboard you would actually type on the b-p-6
Which would look like this: ㄖㄣˊ (ri + n nasal + 2nd tonal)

another note is that most typing systems have prediction on what word you're trying to type, with the most common words first since in Chinese its possible for different words sound the same (similar to english with Their/There)

For the chinese set just have the zhuyin fuhao listed as shown in the ducky and the layout i put above
pinyin isn't a specific lettering set, its just the normal english letters.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:00:21 »
The point here is to define a set of legends for Chinese that may work for most of the potential interested parties for Ivan to use for the sets with Chinese legends.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:21:36 »
The point here is to define a set of legends for Chinese that may work for most of the potential interested parties for Ivan to use for the sets with Chinese legends.

and im telling you no special legends are needed as most people are using pinyin to type.
if you want to put special legends, there's only 1 set of legends to put on.  But most people in mainland china won't know wtf it is.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:23:51 »

and im telling you no special legends are needed as most people are using pinyin to type.
if you want to put special legends, there's only 1 set of legends to put on.  But most people in mainland china won't know wtf it is.

What was the point of the OP that wanted to make a GB for a set with chinese characters then? Let see if he / she has something to say.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:28:14 »
The question is do people want these for practical use OR just because they look 'interesting'?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:30:20 »
The question is do people want these for practical use OR just because they look 'interesting'?

I think is the second. In some cases it is all about look, functionality is already there.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:36:34 »

What was the point of the OP that wanted to make a GB for a set with chinese characters then? Let see if he / she has something to say.

I dunno about the OP, but chinese words and the phonetic characters as i've shown you on the keyboards are 2 different things
OP probably wants the ones that are on the Ducky keyboard i linked, and the wiki picture i sent.

Considering the OP never came back in over a month, i'm pretty sure its DOA.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 09:23:06 »

There is absolutely no need for Simplified Chinese on keyboards.

In the People's Republic China there is no market. It is 100% done using Romanized Phonetics entry aka Hanyu Pinyin.

The only reason Ducky has it is because Ducky is in the Republic of China aka Taiwan.

I appreciate the OP's good intentions but I will never buy this because I will never use it and it just looks weird. I either type using Romanized Phonetics entry, or I take a tablet and write using a stylus. I suspect the main buyers will be Westerners who think it looks exotic and want to collect, not knowing that nobody actually uses these keysets.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Monophonic

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 03:24:01 »
yes please ivan.
I need chinese/hangul badly.

you probably can't get both, since they're placed in the same place. you could maybe make your own trilingual layout and have WASD make them for you. (?)

Offline cphead

Re: [IC] Chinese (Simplified)/English keycap set?
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 21:51:48 »
As a Chinese speaker I wouldn't be getting this set for its functionality, I'd be getting it cause it looks cool. Not interested in Hangul or Cyrillic cause I don't speak Korean or Russian. This set would be perfect for me.