Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage w/ Reds  (Read 18099 times)

Offline glitchathon

Kinesis Advantage w/ Reds
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 12:41:29 »
Quote from: sordna;524385
Yes, stabilizers would be an improvement, however I naturally tend to press those keys right in the center so I don't notice any issues. Your hand position might be different than mine, so it might help you if you lubed the switches, or otherwise tried to change your hand position a bit.

Cool I will search a bit to see guidelines on lubing. My hands are probably on the small side, so my thumb rests along the thumb keys (so that my thumbnail extends past the front edge). When I press downwards, it tends to press down at an angle which binds exactly at the most noticeable point.

Offline sordna

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 13:00:30 »
My thumb nail also extends a bit past the north edge on the space and backspace keys, but I keep the back of my hands pretty low, so I hit those keys with the knuckle of my thumb, which finds itself in the middle of the keys. There are some fancy lubes out there, but I've had good results with WD40 and regular penetrating oil.
Some of the tried fancy lubes are:
Caig Deoxit F100 (oil used for soundmixer faders) which you can just put from the top without opening the switch
and
RO-59 tm KT (dry PTFE lube, you apply it wet, and it dries leaving a teflon film behind. Typically you would open up the switch to apply it... the Kinesis thumb switches can be easily opened up without even opening the keyboard case since they are PCB mounted)

This thread has some good info:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22656-Gallons-of-Spooge-The-Official-Ripster-Lubricant-Experiment-Thread
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline minnus

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 12:11:08 »
Do people find the upgrade from Brown to Red worth it? $100 is quite a bit of money!

Offline sordna

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 12:27:02 »
If you dislike brown switches and like reds, it's definitely worth it. However if you are happy with browns, then leave it alone!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline minnus

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 19:17:08 »
Thanks! I'm not sure if I like reds yet ~ haven't tried them yet O.O;; I understand that it is just as light as browns, but without the bump. Hmmmmmmmm

Offline sordna

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 20:32:16 »
Correct: same spring, no frictiony bump.

Offline boli

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 01:53:35 »
Because of the non-existant bump they feel smoother and lighter (though they're not really lighter all the way, just where the bump would be).
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline sordna

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 18:28:32 »
Welcome to GeekHack natas206 ! Is that a Kinesis prototype in your avatar ?

Offline sordna

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 15:36:33 »
The case looks nice! An all-clear (top and bottom) case, and clear blank keycaps (they exist) would be awesome !

Offline hoggy

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 15:58:35 »
I've just modified my advantage to red keywells - happy to stick with the brown thumb keys for now.  Fantastic upgrade.  Sordna,  you're a genius!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline sordna

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 17:02:18 »
Glad you like it! This thing is so good with the red switches, they should be the default switch for this board...

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 17:30:09 »
Quote from: natas206;603936
Thanks sordna! Not a prototype just my personal Adv w/cherry reds, very old grey home row keys (from the Model 100), blank thumb keycaps and a sample smokey/clear top case.

I get a kick out of his Keyboard...works at Kinesis and has a "patched together" keyboard with at least 4 different items coming together! Reminds me of a mechanic that has a classic muscle car that is primered, missing a bumper, and a leaky muffler, but the motor is screaming, and and it's dialed in performance-wise.

All you need now are a few blinking leds on the interior...like those cheap phones in the 90's that were clear bodied and leds would flash when it rang!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 18:07:53 »
haha, just spicing things up a bit! Likewise I get a kick out of your keyboard. I imagine you have more than 4 different items patched together!

BTW input nirvana, I found an oldschool set of the double shot white/baby blue Qwerty/Dvorak dual legend keycaps, in case you ever need another.

Offline sordna

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 18:25:39 »
Haha, nice stuff. I've gone the subtle route for my work keyboard, it has just 1 mod, but the best mod there is:

my home keyboard is significanly more spiced up:

Both are Advantage LF of course.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 18:30:08 »
remind me sordna, what do you have the palm buttons programmed for? Keypad? Shift?

Offline sordna

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 18:40:08 »
On one of my keyboards they are both shifts, on the other, the left is shift and the right is momentary keypad (like the footswitch). Details in my wiki:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:26579

The palm keys mod by itself is so easy, no soldering required. The only real tool required (other than screwdriver / wire cutters) is a drill or driver with step drill bit.