Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage w/ Reds  (Read 17986 times)

Offline dzd

Kinesis Advantage w/ Reds
« on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 11:53:04 »
I just tried out some different switches (with and without dampeners) on a regular rectangle board, at the store. The reds were way too soft for my liking. The blues with dampeners were my favorites. So, I figured that reds just aren't for me.

But then I also just installed red rubber dampeners on my Kinesis Advantage w/ browns - and I like it way better than without the dampeners. Now, I am wondering if I'd like it even more if I had red switches! Aggh! But then again, how would I really know unless I tried it? Wish I could try it without great expense... :(

BTW - can I order some red switches from WASD and switch a few out on my Advantage to try them out? I haven't done any surgery to my kb yet, and don't really want any major surgery.

I think on a flat keyboard, I probably prefer some tactility/click. But I guess like one of you pointed out in this thread, your switch preferences might differ on a contoured board: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?26324-Considering-a-Kinesis-Advantage-Purchase&highlight=kinesis+red

So... can you order a brand new Advantage and ask them to use reds? How much extra is it?

I'm not excited about ordering just the keywells and having to replace them myself, even though some of you say it's not hard. :ohwell:  Anyway,  I might have need for a 2nd Advantage down the line, and would prefer to just have it arrive to my doorstep with the reds in them.

One more thing - the reds really require less force than the browns? I thought the specs say they're pretty much the same. But I do figure that the little bump might provide some extra resistance. Also, the click still kind of tingles my nerves, and I'm wondering if the reds would be comfier because of the lack of the click sensation.

And I just ordered a Truly Ergonomic with blues - now I'm wondering if I might actually prefer that with reds too... Jesus. Now I am seeing the ever-widening aspect of keyboard/input lust.

Offline sordna

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 13:25:57 »
Advantage with reds is available, just not shown on the Kinesis website. But they make it, change $325 for it, and call it the Advantage LF. If you send Kinesis an email they will tell you how you can order it. Click my sig to see the first one ever made :-) I appreciate tactile switches on flat keyboards, but on the Advantage I much prefer the red switches, it just suits it better since you have to hit keys at different angles on the keywells, and you don't have that "bump" aggravating your tendons.
Regarding browns vs reds they have the same spring force (45g at the actuation point) but the "bump" of the browns needs about 55grams to overcome. This results in a heavier switch. Anyway, reds+o-rings+audible click (for feedback) is pure bliss for me. Good luck!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dzd

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 13:52:44 »
Whoa - so you're  the one who helped bring the Advantage LF to Geekhackers? I bow to you on that one. :)  I will check your other thread(s) on that. Thanks for all the info.

I guess when the time is right, I'll be pursuing an Advantage LF. Let's see how well I will make peace with my current modded Advantage.

I actually just asked TE to change my order to reds - hope they catch it on time. The dampeners seem to be a game changer - since they shorten the key travel (is that the right term?) and make the landing soft, now I can see myself liking reds for all day long keyboard use. After putting the dampeners on the browns, they really seem like they might as well be red - I don't think the bump has as much purpose anymore.

Blues with dampeners will still be great fun for macro keypads, for play kb's, etc.

Now I think it's too bad that there seem to be no numeric keypads out there w/ reds. I hope WASD might have something like that soon. I like how they don't charge extra for reds (at least not for a custom kb order), and I love all the customizable keycaps stuff.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 14:00:21 »
Dzd: You went direct to the source with Sordna. Sordna-Support is the best!

I have limited experience with flat keyboards, and all I can say is I personally like reds and browns on Kinesis. I'm not sure, but I may not be too picky with the switches. Also, I don't have any RSI issues.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline dzd

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 16:32:45 »
Ya - I'm grateful for all the help and info here. I don't think GH was around back when I had my first big keyboard quest many years ago.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 January 2012, 20:19:17 »
U can swap the thumb area of Kinesis without desoldering the rest is plate mounted.

Offline sordna

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 22:38:04 »
Hey Lanx, where have you been? I could use your feedback/ideas on adding extra keys. This board is proving very mod-friendly.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 22:41:56 »
Quote from: Lanx;495889
U can swap the thumb area of Kinesis without desoldering the rest is plate mounted.

Pop the top and swap the stems only, it's EZ!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 23:10:40 »
[video=youtube;GivKt63dLvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GivKt63dLvA[/video]

Offline boli

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 02:44:18 »
Quote from: Lanx;495889
Quote from: sordna;500298
[video]

Cheers guys, time to make my semi-LF Advantage into a fully-LF. :)
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Lanx

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 04:25:06 »
i always thought 2 keys right below end/pgdown near the edge would be a good use of the thumbs and keep your hands on the home key (i think these would also be away from the pcb board too), basically you'd make a right angle of your thumb/index finger in order to press it (or the "loser" sign).

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 10:51:59 »
Quote from: Lanx;500449
i always thought 2 keys right below end/pgdown near the edge would be a good use of the thumbs and keep your hands on the home key

I have tried this, it's ok, but there are some restrictions. You need to have the keys almost flush with the case, or those added keys will be hit when pressing keys in the thumb cluster.

I have a pic in in Split Mod article in my sig and I mention the issue with the key height.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 10:56:26 »
Let me just commend you on this article here. Except for the myriad of boob and butt distractions it is the most useful kinesis modding resource by far. You should add some links to those other mods.

Edit: Let me emphasize that I _am_ a big fan of the boobs and butts. I just can't remember the contents of the article. :p
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 11:00:09 »
What boob 'n butt distractions? Boobs 'n butts ARE the article!

The keyboard modding is the only distraction I see here.

Offline boli

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 03:43:15 »
Quote from: input nirvana;500676
What boob 'n butt distractions? Boobs 'n butts ARE the article!

The keyboard modding is the only distraction I see here.

:D

Back to the topic, I just exchanged the thumb keys on my semi-red Kinesis with reds, so it's a full red now. Switching just the top of the switches is easy enough indeed, though I did manage to lose a spring... ;)
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout

Offline sordna

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 10:14:32 »
wasdkeyboards.com sells individual red switches. Did your open up the switches from the top of the case, or did you unscrew and remove the thumb PCBs for easier access?

Offline boli

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 13:15:02 »
Cheers, I still have 3 spare red switches since Kinesis sent me 15 extra with the red key wells, and I used 12 only. As a result I also have 11 complete browns, as well as one incomplete brown.

I opened up the case right away and unscrewed the thumb PCBs. It's much easier to get the top off the switches if coming from the side rather than the top. I used a small screwdriver to pop them off. Also if I'd tried to do it with the keyboard "closed" I'm pretty sure I would have dropped a spring or another bit into the case, which would have meant I'd have to open it up anyway. :P

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 15:27:44 »
Quote from: boli;502459
Cheers, I still have 3 spare red switches since Kinesis sent me 15 extra with the red key wells, and I used 12 only. As a result I also have 11 complete browns, as well as one incomplete brown.
That's a product of kinesis's good service, I take it. I suppose you could add some extra switches to the keywells like what sordna has done.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:26579

Offline boli

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 16:50:52 »
Quote from: dorkvader;502538
That's a product of kinesis's good service, I take it. I suppose you could add some extra switches to the keywells like what sordna has done.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:26579

Aye, Rick from Kinesis was very nice, he also pointed out Input Nirvana's thread about replacement key caps, as Kinesis no longer sell blanks themselves. Will have to tell him about the pop-topping thing, much easier than resoldering. :)

As for the extra switches, I've been thinking about that. An easily accessible extra layer to remap stuff to does sound useful indeed. I don't have a dremel or glue gun, other than that it looks very feasible. I guess I'll have to sort something out once I get the WASD key caps. :)

Offline boli

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 13:36:00 »
I told Rick at Kinesis about the pop topping technique, so hopefully future switch changers will get this info right when ordering. :)

I also told him that it's a shame the momentary keypad activation can only be had with a mod like sordna's or a foot switch, and that this'd be something worth considering for an Advantage 2. He replied with this:
Eventually for our new Contoured keyboards, whenever that will be (we are currently in development), they will have true mechanical key switch function keys. No more rubber keys. One of things we want is to be able to remap the keypad key as well, so you can find an easier location rather than reaching up there or using a footswitch.

Good news indeed! Of course I hope he meant momentary activation too, not just the current toggle. Will update if I get an answer... Anyway, good to hear they're working on it and fixing a few things. :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 14:08:54 »
Woah! Best keyboard-related news I've heard in a long time!

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 17:44:50 »
"Eventually for our new Contoured keyboards, whenever that will be (we are currently in development), they will have true mechanical key switch function keys. No more rubber keys. One of things we want is to be able to remap the keypad key as well, so you can find an easier location rather than reaching up there or using a footswitch."  

It will be after all of us at GH design, put together, troubleshoot and test run all the improvements for them :0)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 20:22:55 »
I'd help!

This is big news., If they come out with one, I'd probably buy it. I still haven't gotten around to touching the rubber "keys" on yours Sordna. :p

Offline dzd

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 20:42:38 »
Quote from: input nirvana;503598
It will be after all of us at GH design, put together, troubleshoot and test run all the improvements for them :0)

It does seem like all these ergo kb companies should consult with GH to help engineer their designs before finalizing them.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 01:58:26 »
Quote from: dzd;503766
It does seem like all these ergo kb companies should consult with GH to help engineer their designs before finalizing them.

Kinesis monitors the Kinesis Contoured mods threads...so I guess you could say at least some of them already are :)

Offline boli

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 02:57:25 »

Quote from: dzd;503766

I'm not sure it would ever get finalized. ;) Only half joking... I guess we can all agree that the rubber keys suck, opinions on other stuff might be less unambiguous, after all we are quite a particular kind of people. :) Nevertheless I'd obviously love the opportunity to share my opinion with the engineers.

What's your wish list? I'm actually hard pressed to think of something new/revolutionary. The following stuff has all been discussed I think.

• F# keys with mechanical switches
  • F# keys closer to key wells, ideally as an extra row on top (there's space for 12 same size keys, one of which might be Esc, so the other keys (PrintScr, ScrollLock, Pause etc.) could go in the unused area between the two key wells)
  • Momentary keypad layer activation available for remapping (toggle is less important but can't hurt to have that remappable either)
  • Extra keys in lower left and right corners (same as sordna's mod)
  • Possibly more thumb keys (hard to say where to put them though, current setup seems pretty well thought out)
  • Possibly software to remap stuff in firmware, which could allow remapping of only the normal or only the shifted layer of keys, for example to make a programmers num row (where symbols are the normal output, and numbers are the shifted output). I guess something like this would make development and usage a lot more complex, so do I really need this?

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 04:22:00 »
Here's an obvious improvement: Put in real atmega32s for the controller. If you could just open it up flip a dip switch and put in your own firmware...well that would just be so amazing....
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 09:57:04 »
Quote from: input nirvana;503994
Kinesis monitors the Kinesis Contoured mods threads...so I guess you could say at least some of them already are :)

yea, too bad the R&D in Kinesis consists of 1 hamster in a wheel.
1. lets make a white ps/2 clone of the maltron
10 years go by
lets make it usb
5 years go by
oh lets make it black

i maybe be off on the time, but i mean really... get some innovation lol, there's no such thing as if it ain't broke don't fix it in the ergo world, i think we're all always looking for the best keyboard, but we're the super minority too, compared to this board, we seem to be the 1% lol.

Offline dzd

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 11:22:51 »
Quote from: boli;504027
I'm not sure it would ever get finalized. ;) Only half joking...
Agree with you there! :)

Quote from: boli;504027
What's your wish list? I'm actually hard pressed to think of something new/revolutionary.

Someone must have mentioned this somewhere already:

Alternative keycap sets!! The Kinesis' physical key layout really needs some!

I have a Qwerty/Dvorak model - but the dual labels are annoying - and I don't even need the Qwerty labels, TYVM!!

A kb that claims to be one of the most ergo really should really offer more keycap layout options - or hang their heads in shame (only half joking there too! And this applies to TE too - though you guys mentioned that was a future promise.)

Quote from: Lanx;504181
10 years go by
lets make it usb
5 years go by
oh lets make it black

True!

Given the hundreds of millions of everyday kb users out there, I really can't believe that there are not millions more demanding a more ergo one (and thus propelling us to more real "innovation").
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 January 2012, 11:34:39 by dzd »

Offline dzd

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 11:33:40 »
Quote from: Lanx;504181
10 years go by
lets make it usb
5 years go by
oh lets make it black

True!

Given the hundreds of millions of everyday kb users out there, I really can't believe that there are not millions more demanding a more ergo one (and thus propelling us to more real "innovation").

Offline boli

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 11:53:23 »
Quote from: dzd;504237
Alternative keycap sets!! The Kinesis' physical key layout really needs some!

We're working on it ourselves ATM. Here is an almost complete list of WASD replacement key caps. I'll be glad to share my opinion once I receive them.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 12:01:44 »
Holy crap! Tough crowd!

Offline boli

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 31 January 2012, 12:56:04 »
Huh?

Offline dzd

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 23:02:00 »
Quote from: boli;504270
Here is an almost complete list of WASD replacement key caps. I'll be glad to share my opinion once I receive them.

Thanks. Great stuff.

"Eventually for our new Contoured keyboards, whenever that will be (we are currently in development), they will have true mechanical key switch function keys. No more rubber keys."  

I just emailed Kinesis today to ask about this. Here is part of the reply:
"Kinesis does plan to modify the electronics of the Contoured keyboard, however, there are no plans to modify the function keys of the keyboard at this time."

This reply was not from Rick, however.

So I wonder which is it - will there be improved Function keys or not? I want to get an LF Kinesis, but of course want to wait for the new version. But if it won't have new Fn keys, then there's not as much reason to wait.

The reply also said the new model will take at least another year or so. Is that what you guys have heard, too?
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 February 2012, 23:06:19 by dzd »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 23:13:14 »
Most manufacturers will never give an expected date of production if they are already selling a version of that product for obvious reasons. I am sure that if they say it will take at least a year or so, that it won't be out any sooner than that. Waiting seems to be not a very proactive plan, if you ask me. Especially long-term. And, to go with mechanical switches on the Fkey row, will involve a major design change to the keyboard.

If you buy the LF now, you can always sell it when the new model comes out, if it comes out, if you want it.

Offline sordna

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 23:29:24 »
I don't regret buying my two LF's for a second. If they get stolen tomorrow, I'll buy another two.

Offline boli

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 01:53:01 »
Quote from: dzd;515777
I just emailed Kinesis today to ask about this. Here is part of the reply:
"Kinesis does plan to modify the electronics of the Contoured keyboard, however, there are no plans to modify the function keys of the keyboard at this time."

This reply was not from Rick, however.

So I wonder which is it - will there be improved Function keys or not? I want to get an LF Kinesis, but of course want to wait for the new version. But if it won't have new Fn keys, then there's not as much reason to wait.

The reply also said the new model will take at least another year or so. Is that what you guys have heard, too?

He didn't say anything other than whenever that is. Bummer about no proper F keys. I wonder if there were patent reasons for having done it differently even with current versions, so as not to be too similar to a Maltron.

Quote from: input nirvana;515782
I am sure that if they say it will take at least a year or so, that it won't be out any sooner than that. Waiting seems to be not a very proactive plan, if you ask me.

Aye, it's like waiting for the next improved version of a computer model - there's always a better one around the corner. IMO if you can make good use of one right now, then right now is the time to get one.

Quote from: sordna;515795
I don't regret buying my two LF's for a second. If they get stolen tomorrow, I'll buy another two.

So would I. :)

Offline dzd

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 17:21:04 »
Thanks for the support.

Buying the LF through Kinesis at full price, vs. buying a regular one through another retailer with discounts & free shipping - there's a difference of over $90! That's too much for me at the moment. It doesn't look like there's any way to get the LF with a discount yet.

I guess I'll stick with my brown one for now. I still like it. I just fantasize about it having that buttery red feeling. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 18:04:22 »
$100 and 15 minutes and you can have the red keywells on your Kinesis. That easy option always exists :)

Offline dzd

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 12:06:26 »
Ok - I might try that later. It seemed like it would be a lot messier and more complicated than 15 min. Thanks. :)

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 17:01:48 »
Kinesis keywell changeout:
1-unscrew 6 case screws, remove case bottom
2-pull tabs to release 2 connector ribbons on main pcb (1 per keywell)
3-unscrew 6 keywell screws (3 per keywell)
4-lift out keywells
------------------------
5-insert new keywells
6-screw 6 keywell screws (3 per keywell)
7-insert 2 ribbon connectors and push down tabs (l per keywell)
8-put case bottom on and attach with 6 screws

Plug in and start smooth typing.

Maybe 20 minutes :)

Offline dzd

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 22:40:14 »
Thanks, input nirvana! A "for dummies" summary.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 01:11:57 »
lol

I just want to be helpful enough that you understand what it entails, whether it's easy or difficult. Believe me, if it is a daunting task, I will be throwing out cautions like crazy! But this particular item is relatively simple with virtually no downside (I guess you could sit on the keyboard and parts) and I don't want you to not have something that might be very good for you because you perceive it as being insurmountable when it's actually quite the opposite. Face it, the keyboard manufacturer wouldn't want that either.

If you think you will do it. I'll take the 2 pics with red arrows at the screw/tab points you will need to address. Let me know :)

Offline boli

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 04:19:07 »
Let me second that the process of replacing the key wells is quite easy, I did it in January.

Obviously you'll also have to remove the key caps first, and put them back on afterwards. This is also easy, but in my experience takes longer than replacing the key wells themselves, especially if you take the opportunity to clean them a bit. :)

While you're at it you may want to install o-rings (check out the video at the link) - I tried them recently and became a big fan within a day. I since bought 4 bags total so my 3 Kinesis Advantage as well as the TE keyboard all have o-rings now. :) They also work well on brown switches.

Once the key wells are taken care of, only the thumb keys are left. Those could be resoldered, but a much easier way is to pop the tops off and just change the stem, as shown earlier in this very thread. :) Depending on Kinesis' mood you either have to pay extra for red switches for the thumb cluster, or you may get them for free.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 19 February 2012, 10:47:16 »
Thanks for the links/backup info for Dzd.

Plus, I didn't mention replacing the keycaps...my extra keywells have a set of key caps on them, so I overlooked that detail.

Offline dzd

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 12:34:08 »
Quote from: input nirvana;518449
I just want to be helpful enough that you understand what it entails...If you think you will do it. I'll take the 2 pics with red arrows at the screw/tab points you will need to address. Let me know :)

Actually, these succinct summaries are what we need! It can be challenging to wade through the long threads with all the off-topic comments, huge signatures, talk of butts and boobs (haha), etc. to get to the gist of the technical information.

I'll probably hold off on switching the keywells for now. Maybe in the coming months... :)

Quote from: boli;518515
While you're at it you may want to install o-rings (check out the video at the link)...

Oh yes - I put red/pink ones on my Kinesis, my TE (red switches), and my brown switch numeric keypad, and I love them! I put some on a blue switch kb I was trying out - that was nice too. I kind of wish I could have a TE in browns and blues too (with o-rings installed, of course). I like all the different sensations - but it's too $$ and also, extra kb's take up so much space.

Thanks again for all the helpful info.!
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 February 2012, 12:46:05 by dzd »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 12:42:09 »
Big butts and big boobs can get in the way :)

Offline dzd

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 13:08:12 »
For sure - and peens too. :)

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 11:58:51 »
So I have a regular Kinesis at work and a red at home... one thing I noticed is that with the reds, the lack of stabilizers in the double width keys are much more noticeable (press towards the top of the space, enter, and backsp keys). I did not care with the browns, because a little binding was not much different in feel than the tactile feedback. But with the reds, it is much more distracting. It is too bad the Kinesis does not have stabilizers!

Offline sordna

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 12:25:05 »
Yes, stabilizers would be an improvement, however I naturally tend to press those keys right in the center so I don't notice any issues. Your hand position might be different than mine, so it might help you if you lubed the switches, or otherwise tried to change your hand position a bit.