Author Topic: Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?  (Read 72995 times)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Re: Is it weird to bring my own keyboard to a new job?
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 05:05:59 »
Not sure if OP has followed up... Let us know if you brought your keyboard to work and how it went! :)
SmallFry! <3

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 09:25:36 »
I don't think much of it. I have my Cherry Slimline at work...when people ask why I use such a tiny little keyboard, I tell them that I like the contrast it gives in comparison to the dell 30" IPS monitor I also use. Then we both chuckle and go on with it. Sometimes I just say "I like typing on this one". Beyond that, sometimes I bring in boards to show a couple friends at work who are actually interested in such things. In general I think people care a lot less than you might think.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline baller1308

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 10:11:06 »
If you're keyboard is standard looking I doubt anyone will really notice.  If it stands out with custom keycaps and all that, you might get people who come up and ask you a question about your keyboard.  I bring in some of the keyboards I have and let coworkers test them out.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 23:06:23 »
Not sure if OP has followed up... Let us know if you brought your keyboard to work and how it went! :)

We need some pics to just for fun!

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:29:26 »
So I brought in one of my boards to the new job I just started.

Needless to say I was given some **** about having a pink keyboard, but other than the color everyone wanted to type on it and really liked it. Maybe I will make some more converts to mechanical.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:31:33 »
I don't think much of it. I have my Cherry Slimline at work...when people ask why I use such a tiny little keyboard, I tell them that I like the contrast it gives in comparison to the dell 30" IPS monitor I also use.

I have 3 of those monitors, and every time I see my little Leo 660c in front of them I chuckle at the irony. Reminds me of this pic:

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:42:54 »
I would bring my own keyboard anytime to my new job. Of course it seems a little weird, and maybe you shouldn't do it on your very first day there (you might be the weirdo with the keyboard fetish for the next five years). I also thought about bringing a mechanical to university, but it reminded me too much of this guy...

http://www.orschlurch.net/2012/10/16/mit-schreibmaschine-in-der-vorlesung/
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:45:24 »
It depends on your job. If your job involves spending lots of time in front of a computer typing, then damn right bring your own board on the first day. It's your livelihood, use the best tools you can.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:54:46 »
I would bring my own keyboard anytime to my new job. Of course it seems a little weird, and maybe you shouldn't do it on your very first day there (you might be the weirdo with the keyboard fetish for the next five years). I also thought about bringing a mechanical to university, but it reminded me too much of this guy...

http://www.orschlurch.net/2012/10/16/mit-schreibmaschine-in-der-vorlesung/

Wow, it's getting famous.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 04:36:21 »
So has the OP posted back as to what he decided to do?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 04:40:28 »
He probably brought his keyboard, and then was sent to madhouse...

Offline mauri

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 04:49:40 »
How is bringing your keyboard to work a bad thing? Best case scenario no1 notices and you'll enjoy typing a whole lot more, worst case scenario someone asks about it and you can strike a conversation and laugh it off.

I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 04:56:33 »
How is bringing your keyboard to work a bad thing?

Security. Probably doesn't matter in 99 % jobs though.

Offline mauri

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 05:29:58 »
How is bringing your keyboard to work a bad thing?

Security. Probably doesn't matter in 99 % jobs though.

Bringing your keyboard to work doesn't imply you'll have to leave it there :P
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 06:33:44 »
WTF? Unauthorised device may contain e.g. a keylogger.

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:18:49 »
A keylogger in your own keyboard?^^
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:22:18 »
Keylogger in any keyboard (or hardware in general) that isn't authorized by the company.

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:28:35 »
Will depend on the company of course. In this security thing case I would understand it if they don't let you bring your keyboard, or PC or anything.

Offline ksm123

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 10:09:05 »
Not only keylogger, but also an USB device.
A can imagine a keyboard with a USB hub that doubles as Man in the Middle for USB traffic.

But I work in company where users process sensitive data in daily basis, and the guy on a desk next to mine writes security procedures...

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 11:23:36 »
Not only keylogger, but also an USB device.
A can imagine a keyboard with a USB hub that doubles as Man in the Middle for USB traffic.

But I work in company where users process sensitive data in daily basis, and the guy on a desk next to mine writes security procedures...

In that case, I'd imagine forcing everyone to use identical OEM keyboards to be more of a risk. So easy for someone to go out, get the same model, modify it internally, and then swap someone's keyboard.

At least with your own personal keyboard, you can recognize that its actually yours.

Anyways, wooh, first post on these forums.
I'm typing this up using the exact same crappy, mushy Dell keyboard that the OP posted.

Thinking of buying a KBT Pure to replace it.
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline ksm123

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 11:42:45 »
Security, to be effective must be 'in depth'. "bring your own device" is clearly against physical security rules.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 11:50:49 »
Security, to be effective must be 'in depth'. "bring your own device" is clearly against physical security rules.

My IT department actually suggested ordering the keyboard I wanted.  They would have ordered it for me, that was the other option.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 11:56:55 »

(Now I'm dragging this way OT, sorry lol, but) physical security of peripherals and such are pretty hard to control. You can have all the policies you want, but the only real mechanism to stop someone from bringing their own keyboard is to constantly check their desks. I think the risk is far too low compared to the "cost" of enforcing no personal keyboards.

Anyway, the only risk is if someone else uses your maliciously modified keyboard right? That's not so bad, or am I not understanding the previous posts correctly.

Flash drives and what not are easy to disallow, just remove the drivers from the windows installation (that's what my company does).

And my company actually encourages "bring your own device" combined with virtualization. I've always attended meetings discussing that strategy, with huge curiosity towards how they intend to really secure it. The basic premise seems to be, "contain everything within the VM". lol

Anyway, I'm getting really tired of typing on this stupid Dell keyboard at work, and will probably go for a KBT Pure soon... Been trying to cut back on the spending but holy crap this keyboard is making me angry.
I have to force myself to type with more force so that all of my key presses are properly recognized. Stupid rubber dome. Its disgustingly dirty too!
So I'm hoping more people (esp. the OP) come back with their experiences.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 11:58:44 by PandaSPUR »
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:16:05 »
As long as company policy allows it, do it. It'll make you stand out.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:03:18 »
i bring my custom Poker with mx blues and o-rings to the office everyday and take it home with me.

hr said I couldn't do it. i do it anyway. no one says anything. I am one of the tier 2 techs.

it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Jack

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 14:05:19 »
I did data entry for an insurance company for a while (okay, a week and a half before I cried tears of boredom, went to lunch, and never returned), and they didn't let me bring my own keyboard for the "hidden USB hub" reason. It's sort of understandable and you just have to go with it, but it's not really a good reason as the things they fear could be done anyway, and should be stopped by different and more reliable security policies anyway.

Offline Paspie

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:18:54 »
Okay, well I did try it almost two weeks ago, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to stick anything into my school's PCs unless its a memory stick. :( Bit of a stupid rule really. But the class found it hilarious. :)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 22:15:34 »
I brought my 75% to school for AP Comp Sci, asked the teacher, and he said okay.

When I took it out of the cover with all the novelty caps on it, he was all like "ooohh thats neat"

Offline tbc

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 23:41:48 »
Once I found a person with a blue alps kb tossed around, I threw out my begging face and had to explain why did I wanted an old keyboard as such. After my full hearted and detailed presentation, that person asked me "what's the problem with you?" and how did my parents and girlfriend at the moment handled me. She suggested that I go to therapy

That's disgusting. If somebody ever gave me that attitude, I'd seriously ask what had happened to them to make them so judgmental about things they don't understand and suggest they go see a therapist to work on their obvious insecurity issues that make them feel the need to belittle the interests of others.

LMFAO.  it's actually much more fun using them as entertainment ;) people like that are highly suggestible (that's why they ***** about other people - they're suggesting to themselves that they're better than they actually are).
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #179 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 23:52:31 »
Have my RF 104UB, Filco wrist rest and Razer Deathadder at work in a big investment bank. Ppl think I'm weird, but they are starting to get jealous of me topre thock :D

Offline Tony

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 01:14:28 »
I put my best keyboard, a Filco brown at work. It helps to make my daily job easier.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline minimal

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 02:42:16 »
I've been carrying or keeping keyboards at work for the better part of two years.

At this point I carry my keyboard between work and home daily and have cables set up at each so I can sit down and plug in when I show up. Maybe 5-7% of the overall staff does the same.

I get a few additional weird looks because people come by to stare at the reactive lighting on the Shine III regularly but I don't think getting geek envy from your peers is a bad thing.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 06:13:57 »
Started a new job quite recently. I brought in my own Logitech Performance MX mouse after 2-3 days because the standard Dell mouse was too small for my hands, and also because I prefer wireless mice for office usage. I'll bring in my WASD V2 soon as I find the standard Dell keyboard to be uncomfortable to use (both due to its full size and the large amount of force needed to actuate the switch) and because I dislike the UK/Irish keyboard layout. There are two other guys in the office who brought in their own MS Ergo keyboards, so bringing your own keyboard is not without precedent.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 07:41:28 »
In my office some colleagues bring their own keyboard, mostly some ergonomic Microsoft keyboard. So as I recently got into mechs, I want to bring my own 75% keyboard with me. So I can use it at work, at university and at home at times. I think this is pretty common that this is allowed, but if you don't see someone with a different keyboard I would ask the IT if this will cause any problems and if not, so why not? ^^
Right now I'm writing on some hp standard issue keyboard I guess, the keys are pretty loosen and have no real feel to it.
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #184 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 07:49:43 »
My first day on the job I brought in my Ducky DK1087 w/Blues and my Kensington Expert Mouse. The IT guy recognized my mechanical board immediately. Turned out he has a BW w/Browns (eww) so he sympathized with me using my own keyboard.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 07:58:57 »
I am using my model M at my job. Guys don't seem to have any problems, and a few have talked about how they remember typing with one. A few other guys use their own keyboards too, so it isn't like I'm the odd guy out either.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 08:10:58 »
I bought my KBT Race w/White's specifically for the office. I don't even want to think about having to use a rubber dome Logitech all day.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 08:29:11 »
I keep about 10 keyboards at work, seems normal to me.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 08:59:42 »
I keep about 10 keyboards at work, seems normal to me.

I have about the same....but my coworkers are using them because some are to cheap to buy their own.

I've even customized some keyboards for some coworkers.

Offline ZeodoHokill

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 10:29:40 »
Weird or honor, just depends on how you feel.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 10:46:51 »
I have 5 at work currently. My primary is my 1390131 model M, secondary is a G81-1800, and a third is a Dell L100. I have two more dell keyboards in a drawer (another L100 and a KB-1421), because I have a habit of having rubber domes die on me.

I have a XT Model F on the way that I'm going to get going with Soarer's, and will likely have it replace the L100 that I have on my desk.

That said, I've been teased before about the number of keyboards I have on my desk. A few guys don't see the need for more than one.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 10:48:21 »
I always bring my newest keyboards to work because this is where I do most of my typing. So I'm always bringing them in, swapping them around, and such. I've had up to four sitting on my desk at a time.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 11:51:02 »
Yeah, that is why I have my silver label at work. I figure if I was able to kill a rubber dome in 6 months at work, where as normally one would only last a year at home, I definitely see more typing there. I definitely don't want to neglect stuff at home, but I do need to have my best where I will use it the most.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:06:19 »
i bring in a different keyboard to work every few weeks to test out new changes, new caps, new layouts, etc. People think i am weird but i dont give a ****. also those same people compliment my boards when/if they ever get to use them.

i am in charge of all hardware and inventory at my office though. so i play by a different set of rules.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Jixr

« Reply #194 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:19:40 »
I have my own keyboard, mouse, 27" 1440 monitor, monitor stand, chair, and several other small office items that are all mine.

Sitting in a cheap chair, using a cheap computer, mouse, keyboard, looking at an old monitor with the backlighting going out for 8+ hours a day? no thank you.

I would build my own computer and bring it in if i could, but thats where the boss draws the line.

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:28:08 »
I have my own keyboard, mouse, 27" 1440 monitor, monitor stand, chair, and several other small office items that are all mine.

Sitting in a cheap chair, using a cheap computer, mouse, keyboard, looking at an old monitor with the backlighting going out for 8+ hours a day? no thank you.

I would build my own computer and bring it in if i could, but thats where the boss draws the line.
That's what I figure as well.  The office is where I spend most of my waking hours - if you're not going to make the effort to make that time as enjoyable and comfortable as possible then I really have nothing to say!

Offline Emospence

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:03:59 »
I'm lucky to have a decent chair and monitor at work..

I just brought my Filco into the office, though.  :D
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline Cycane

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:08:04 »
Not at all! :D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 11:21:12 »
Since my home office is also my work office, I use my full hand ErgoDox daily (going to be switching to the classic as soon as I finish and seal the ErgoDock from kurplop). New hires get their choice of keyboard/mouse. There's several people that have Das Keyboards, Ducky Shines, or (yuck) Black Widows. I've been slowly educating them :)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 08:20:14 »
Have my RF 104UB, Filco wrist rest and Razer Deathadder at work in a big investment bank. Ppl think I'm weird, but they are starting to get jealous of me topre thock :D

As they totally should  :D