Author Topic: CM Storm Trigger Z (MX Browns)  (Read 9218 times)

Offline YuukiHaruto

CM Storm Trigger Z (MX Browns)
« on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 02:55:52 »

Brought in this for testing. Browns.
Initial impression : this just proves I don't like browns at all.
Otherwise,  I know the inside are basically the same as my CM Storm MECH except it has costar stabs which make the longer keys wobbly.

It's got the same innards as the CM MECH ( aside from the USB hub and sound card )
White LED, white backplate. Much more advanced macro system for the peeps who use macros and also according to the box it is rubber.
The loss of the usb hub is a sad one though but the trigger z isn't any more expensive. To me I think the Trigger Z is a lot cooler and worth it over the other keyboards, it's not really much more money over the Quickfire Ultimate (XT is made in china and the quality is appalling)
Also, over USB 64NKRO compared to 5KRO on the Trigger
I feel like it's on the heavy side to me :\ But where credit is due the keyboard feels better than most boards with browns.
Otherwise, I'm not sure if the trigger had it but the Trigger-Z has costar stabs and the long keys are quite wobbly compared to the MECH :\ And somehow the MECH's longer keys feel better

Offline duzeyao

Re: CM Storm Trigger Z (MX Browns)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 05:41:06 »
Great pic ;D
One thing I want to mention is that, CMQFXT is made in Taiwan, not China mainland.
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 07:12:20 »
I've tried the original Storm Trigger, and while I can't speak for the insides, as I've never opened it up, I can back the OP's sentiment that it's a solid-feeling keyboard. It's just, I just couldn't stand the colors of the original Storm Trigger, so I returned it. The color way on the Storm Trigger-Z looks much better, though.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 08:45:06 »
Great pic ;D
One thing I want to mention is that, CMQFXT is made in Taiwan, not China mainland.
;D
Really? My product manager told me it's made in china  >:D I'm not saying it isn't and I will defend it but ...
I've tried the original Storm Trigger, and while I can't speak for the insides, as I've never opened it up, I can back the OP's sentiment that it's a solid-feeling keyboard. It's just, I just couldn't stand the colors of the original Storm Trigger, so I returned it. The color way on the Storm Trigger-Z looks much better, though.
Yeah the original wasn't exactly nice. The original trigger i heard was a bit less solid than the trigger-z

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 11:02:28 »
1 week (almost) with the CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Browns
My opinions on it?
Great keyboard, nice backlight color and very very solid feel. There's nothing more to say about it
What I don't like. The Brown switch. Just the brown switches.
I absolutely detest it. It's squeaky, creaky, lumpy and feels like reds with sand thrown all over it.
Don't get me wrong, I love MX reds but this is truly horrific compared to every MX switch I've used, blacks, greens, reds, blues and even Cherry ML

I don't get why my friend loves browns so much because my fingers are shouting at me for trying to live with browns. That concludes why I don't like browns.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 09:11:52 »
Trigger Z review coming.

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 12:28:57 »
I have a roughly year-old Trigger with reds. It's served me well, only thing I really don't like about it is the USB hub. The thing can't power anything. I've literally had 2GB thumb-drives fail to work with it.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 12:49:08 »
I have a roughly year-old Trigger with reds. It's served me well, only thing I really don't like about it is the USB hub. The thing can't power anything. I've literally had 2GB thumb-drives fail to work with it.
Welp. they dropped the USB hub now if that was disastrous as heck. The USB hub though on the very keyboard this has the innards from (the MECH) has a USB3 hub.

Offline Neilichou

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 10:27:30 »
Great pic ;D
;D
Really? My product manager told me it's made in china  >:D I'm not saying it isn't and I will defend it but ...
Yeah the original wasn't exactly nice. The original trigger i heard was a bit less solid than the trigger-z

I own this keyboard for one week now and it's a very good keyboard but I have the feeling that the quality is below the old first trigger, especially the plastic used (at the bottom, it seems cheaper than the first trigger)
I also notice that this one was made in China (as the quickfire TK) and the first TRIGGER was made in TAIWAN (as the quickfire XT). I think this keyboard is definitely not a Costar Keyboard but comes from the same "unknown" OEM as the TK although it has costar stabs but it proves nothing ...

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 10:47:28 »
Great pic ;D
;D

I own this keyboard for one week now and it's a very good keyboard but I have the feeling that the quality is below the old first trigger, especially the plastic used (at the bottom, it seems cheaper than the first trigger)
I also notice that this one was made in China (as the quickfire TK) and the first TRIGGER was made in TAIWAN (as the quickfire XT). I think this keyboard is definitely not a Costar Keyboard but comes from the same "unknown" OEM as the TK although it has costar stabs but it proves nothing ...

Made by Solid Year, same as TK. Trigger was made by Solid year's taiwan plant. The box says "Rubber wristrest"  :eek:

Offline Neilichou

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 11:21:57 »
Carter (Cooler Master REP) says the TRIGGER is COSTAR (not Solid Year, see below)

The Trigger is not Costar.

Completely incorrect statement.

It is most definitely Costar

- CM Storm Product Manager

And also this post, confirming Costar is based in Taiwan.

Ok thank you. Hopefully they do not have the QC issues that some of the stealths seem to be having.

I was just in Taiwan visiting Costar to make sure we can deliver problem free product at the volumes you guys demand.

Are you sure the TK (and obvioulsy the trigger Z) is made by Solid Year ? Where did you get this information ? I search in this forum but Carter never mentions it.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 13:04:33 »
Carter (Cooler Master REP) says the TRIGGER is COSTAR (not Solid Year, see below)

The Trigger is not Costar.

Completely incorrect statement.

It is most definitely Costar

- CM Storm Product Manager

And also this post, confirming Costar is based in Taiwan.

Ok thank you. Hopefully they do not have the QC issues that some of the stealths seem to be having.

I was just in Taiwan visiting Costar to make sure we can deliver problem free product at the volumes you guys demand.

Are you sure the TK (and obvioulsy the trigger Z) is made by Solid Year ? Where did you get this information ? I search in this forum but Carter never mentions it.

I am wrong about the first Trigger then, I'll admit.

Got info from my friend. He's no small keyboard enthusiast  ;)

Offline Mastoras

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 21:45:26 »
  I am close to buy this keyboard. I like the big wrist rest and white backlight. What troubles me is i really love the layout of zowie celeritas/SteelSeries 6Gv2 becouse of Big Asian Enter. But both of them lack other features like backlight :/. So i want to ask the pros here, is there any way to mod Trigger Z enter key ? I wish i could change just the Enter key instead of going for a uk layout . Thanx

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 01:55:21 »
  I am close to buy this keyboard. I like the big wrist rest and white backlight. What troubles me is i really love the layout of zowie celeritas/SteelSeries 6Gv2 becouse of Big Asian Enter. But both of them lack other features like backlight :/. So i want to ask the pros here, is there any way to mod Trigger Z enter key ? I wish i could change just the Enter key instead of going for a uk layout . Thanx
What do you mean mod the enter key? Just buy a different keycool keycap set from banggood  :))

I did my review here on GH already, look at the reviews section

All keyboards usually follow the US layout

Offline Mastoras

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 04:30:22 »
  I checked the review thanx :). I mean i would like to replace classic Enter and \ keys, with one big asian enter. Anyways

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 15:42:24 »
Is the Trigger Z really not available in the states yet?