Author Topic: KBT Pure Pro layout  (Read 2108 times)

Offline ajx

KBT Pure Pro layout
« on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:26:22 »
Hi guys, i want to know you thoughts about Pure Pro layout
If you own this keyboard please share your feeling
Thanks

Offline Bucake

Re: KBT Pure Pro layout
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:31:24 »
i guess it's mostly a matter of getting used to it..

it took me a few weeks to get used to the smaller backspace and smaller (right) shift keys, but once i had, it was absolutely not a problem anymore (that they were smaller).
getting used to left alt, left fn and left alt also took me a few weeks.
but after 17+ years of using a standard layout (fullsized keyboards), i think a few weeks to get used to a new layout isn't much time at all. (besides: it was worth it!)

what i liked immidiately was how home, end, pgup and pgdn are located on the arrow keys, because it allows you to easily use the right Fn key with your index finger and then use your middle/ring/little finger to press one of the arrow keys.
because of the small size of the keyboard, your right hand will always be close to these keys. i'm positive i'm using less time to press home/end/pgup/pgdn than i did when using a fullsized keyboard.

using the arrow keys might feel funny (in the beginning) when your left hand is also using the keyboard, simply because they're located more to the left. so let's say you'd play a side-scrolling videogame with wasd and the arrow keys, then you'd notice your hands are closer together than you're used to.
but also this is just a matter of getting used to, from my experience.

i suppose it could matter what you plan on doing with the board, though.
maybe the layout would be less effective for a coder. i wouldn't know, though (i know nothing about coding).

TLDR: i bought the pure pro because of the dedicated arrow keys and its small size, and i am not quite disappointed :j the layout is absolutely no issue for me and i definitely like the fact that it has two Fn keys.
(if you're a coder, then i think you might want to wait for at least one other coder to share his opinion.)
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 04:41:48 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline blingcaps

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 09:54:19 »
my favorite layout is the filco minila, with the dedicated FN keys beside the spacebar.  i liked that so much that when i use my pure pro i use software to map Alt+3 -> F3, for all the function keys.  i also remapped all the other keys to match the minila layout.  i quite dislike the default pure pro layout....del above enter is just stupid...

the small shift and small backspace takes a little time to get used to, but nothing major.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 10:03:45 »
my favorite layout is the filco minila, with the dedicated FN keys beside the spacebar.  i liked that so much that when i use my pure pro i use software to map Alt+3 -> F3, for all the function keys.  i also remapped all the other keys to match the minila layout.  i quite dislike the default pure pro layout....del above enter is just stupid...

the small shift and small backspace takes a little time to get used to, but nothing major.

It is very interesting to know about your minila enthusiasm, but i'd be rather better if you focus on the OP proposal sharing your experiences with the Pure Pro.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 12:19:20 »
I like the location of the arrow keys, and I don't really use things like home or pgup pgdown I can't really comment on those, but the one thing I don't like is having a short right shift and put the tilde right next to it.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 12:46:41 »
And check the classified if you decide to go the Pure Pro route. Mine is still available. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51719.msg1139349#msg1139349
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 14:59:53 »
I prefer the layout of the original Pure. You can turn the right hand modifiers into an arrow cluster and the right shift isn't too short, even though it's shorter than normal. I turn the left WinKey into a 2nd Fn, but you can use the Alt or Ctrl instead if you like. I find the 2nd layer works for me.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ajx

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 21:40:41 »
my biggest complaint about pro layout
Neither a coder nor a secretary, however small backspace really annoy me
i have similar full ruber dome keyboard with small backspace
not simple to get used to it
another possible issue is spacebar not for typing but mostly for gaming, i use spacebar for holding it while moving (e.g in fps, wasd + spacebar for crouching)
i use the left side of space bar under x and c keys
not big a deal but dunno if i get used to it
otherwise what motivates me to own it: the only 60% on sales with backlit and dedicated arrows
i have Poker 2 while its almost perfect layout to me, they really made a **** with dedicated arrows on WASD+fn

Offline ajx

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 05:56:57 »
anyone knows if we can replace small spacebar and backpace by another bigger ones?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 06:41:50 »
anyone knows if we can replace small spacebar and backpace by another bigger ones?

No, that's not possible.

Offline juguerre

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 12:24:29 »
Having one of these I can tell you the main problem with the layout is the mini right shift. Takes time to get used. Mini backspace it's a little weird at first but you  can adapt to this without problems.

Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline ajx

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 12:47:14 »
I ordered it and going to compare with my Poker 2 but for sure i will like:
- Pure ABS over PBT keycaps feeling
- Backlit

Doubts?
- ISO layout? since few years i ve been using ANSI but still time to get used to it
- spacebar/backspace possible issues

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 12:49:39 »
I haven't had any issues with the spacebar or the backspace. It's the tiny right shift that gets you.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ajx

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 12:53:47 »
I barely use right shift  ;D
I wanted Pure not Pro, to sad there is not any 60% size with dedicated arrows + backlit
Maybe should i take a loook into bigger TKL keyboard such as Code keyboard (but only available from US and on Green and Clear switches)