Author Topic: Need help finding if something in NY  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Johan

Need help finding if something in NY
« on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 16:51:40 »
This is probably the wrong section for this, but who cares.
I'm looking for a store that has the noctua NH-U14S and is located in new york, I'm only here until sunday so I don't really want to order something online and have it arrive when I'm back in sweden. I used google, but I couldn't find anything.
Any help would be appreciated.
Uh, stuff.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
Re: Need help finding if something in NY
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 17:14:27 »
This is probably the wrong section for this, but who cares.
I'm looking for a store that has the noctua NH-U14S and is located in new york, I'm only here until sunday so I don't really want to order something online and have it arrive when I'm back in sweden. I used google, but I couldn't find anything.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hmm.  Well, I know this might be a disappointment, but I don't know of any place to buy your Noctua cooler in New York City either, and I've been here longer than google.  I know it seems crazy that the greatest city on Earth has a lack of good computer parts stores, but it does.  You can get Schwarma, Sushi and/or a Blumpkin at 4 AM, but you cannot get a CPU cooler to save your life.

But, with that said, just order one from Amazon.com and have it shipped to your hotel.  You should have time before Sunday to get it, if you order today, and get expedited shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U14S-Sockets-Heatpipe-Cooling/dp/B00C9FLSLY
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 17:32:40 »
We have a microcenter now, actually. It's in Gowanus somewhere.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Johan

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 18:41:51 »
So amazon-prime would be my best bet? Thanks for your help,  I've checked  microcenters site, but they don't stock this cooler, shame becuase it costs a little more than half the price of it in sweden. I have some other electronics stuff to pick up, but they are much more generic, so I should have no probelm finding it.(power-bank and a portableharddrive.)
Its insane how much cheaper everything is in the states, but I'm considering brining a calculator just for tipping.
Uh, stuff.

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 20:13:11 »
Heh, I remember when Noctua was impossible to find online, nevermind in a brick & mortar.

I was going to suggest checking out J&R, but

1) They don't seem to carry Noctua
2) They apparently tore their buildings/block down to rebuild so they are online only right now

Shame, I used to love spending my lunch hour looking at CDs, DVDs and computer parts there when I worked downtown.

The biggest photo stores all carry computer parts, but they're all closed for Passover right now.

Data Vision might have something but I seriously doubt they have Noctua. You can get one of those Corsair self contained water cooling kits at a Best Buy, but again, no Noctua :(

Data Vision is opening another store on 23rd street between 5th and 6th, so I'll have Best Buy, Home Depot, Data Vision, and Tek Serve all within a block of each other. I love working in Flatiron :)

Edit: emoticon overload

Offline esko997

• Linux Lover
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 20:28:10 »

You can get Schwarma, Sushi and/or a Blumpkin at 4 AM, but you cannot get a CPU cooler to save your life.

10/10 Lmao
Daily Drivers:  Unicomp Customizer (BS -- Linux Layout) | Vortex Race 3 (Clears)
Other Boards: CM Quickfire Stealth (Greens) | Poker II (Blues) | PLU-ML 87 (Ergo Clears)  | JD40 (Browns) | Leopold FC660C (Topre) | IBM Model M | ErgoDox (Clears) | Sentraq s60x DIY (Blacks) | Anne Pro 2 (Blues) | Cherry G80-11900 (Blacks) | Kira (99 Key) (Hako True)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 13:09:18 »
Heh, I remember when Noctua was impossible to find online, nevermind in a brick & mortar.

I was going to suggest checking out J&R, but
lol j&r would never carry enthusiast equipment.
source: i used to work there and i used to talk to "the buyer" if it's the same guy (which it was 2 years ago) they'll always carry ****.

but yea they can't compete with the extremely high rent (they used to own the whole block, now i don't know it's ****) and the son (of j(oe) and r(ochelle)) is making dumb decisions
source: friends who still work there.

BUT like someone said do all your shopping at the ****ing microcenter!!!
they just opened up in brooklyn (gowanus)

by train

take the N to stillwell (this is towards coney island, the south of brooklyn)

get off at 36th st stop and it's a 5min walk

microcenter
850 3rd Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11232

here is a google maps link

https://www.google.com/maps/place/850+3rd+Ave/@40.659336,-74.004446,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c25aea9d0d5ccb:0x8ce6f62a1bcfa7e9

here is the microcenter store link
http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/brooklyn.aspx

i will bet my soul you will find everything here and for a good "internet price"

(note, i've never even been here but i've been to the one in nj where i live, and literally this store is computer enthusiast heaven.)

you might not find what you wanted originally, but you'll be bombarded with stuff you "could" buy, like, right there, right now, no shipping time.

Offline Johan

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 18:16:45 »

get off at 36th st stop and it's a 5min walk

microcenter
850 3rd Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11232

here is a google maps link

https://www.google.com/maps/place/850+3rd+Ave/@40.659336,-74.004446,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c25aea9d0d5ccb:0x8ce6f62a1bcfa7e9

here is the microcenter store link
http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/brooklyn.aspx

Text

Haha,  thanks for your help!  I found the stuff I was looking for at a close bestbuy, the prices were pretty much the same. Microcenter don't stock the cooler it seems.  Unfortunately it only newegg and amazon have it, I guess I'll have to pay swedish prices for it :(
Uh, stuff.

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:47:45 »

source: i used to work there and i used to talk to "the buyer" if it's the same guy (which it was 2 years ago) they'll always carry ****.

but yea they can't compete with the extremely high rent (they used to own the whole block, now i don't know it's ****) and the son (of j(oe) and r(ochelle)) is making dumb decisions

Ah. I worked downtown from 2000-2002. At the time, it was the only place I knew where I could walk in and buy a decent (but overpriced) motherboard and video card. I was new to the area back then though.

I will have to hop on the N and check out microcenter next time I need a part for work. Never been to one, sounds fun.

Johan, sorry you couldn't find what you were looking for :( Noctua products are great, I've been using them since they released their first 80mm fans. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you spend the extra money, especially if you have your heart set on one. But you can probably find something almost as good, if not as good cheaper if you need to.

Offline Johan

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:53:46 »

Ah. I worked downtown from 2000-2002. At the time, it was the only place I knew where I could walk in and buy a decent (but overpriced) motherboard and video card. I was new to the area back then though.

I will have to hop on the N and check out microcenter next time I need a part for work. Never been to one, sounds fun.

Johan, sorry you couldn't find what you were looking for :( Noctua products are great, I've been using them since they released their first 80mm fans. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you spend the extra money, especially if you have your heart set on one. But you can probably find something almost as good, if not as good cheaper if you need to.

Its all right,  I found plenty of other stuff,  combined with my sisters over-shopping it probably wouldn't fit ;D
Uh, stuff.