Author Topic: Leopold FC660C  (Read 313676 times)

Offline Rena

Re: Leopold FC660C
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 11:01:00 »
I just got my FC660M yesterday and this really is a fantastic board. The quality of it and the keycaps are excellent for the price, and it's very nice having dedicated arrow keys while maintaining a functional layout for such a small board.

Only issue I have with it, which isn't necessarily a flaw but still a significant inconvenience is the placement of the Fn key. Even if it were to be switched with the control key sitting next to it that would be better. But having to, for example, use two hands to actuate F5 feels unnecessary. I guess I can get used to it though. I would buy this board again in the 660C version.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #351 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 11:35:56 »
I have been using the MX version of this 66 keyboard for two months now, and it is way awesome. Its build quality is outstanding, solid like a tank. I am using thick PBTs for the alphas and DS for the mods. Coming from a cramped 60% the arrows are fresh air and the dedicated delete and its position makes it very handy. I am planning to buy a second with green or clears for home.

And the awesome Macross set is coming to fit one of them.

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2014, 11:43:31 by ideus »

Offline Travellerr

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 10:22:22 »
Right now I've got my HHKB alphas on the Leo w/ blank mods -- interestingly, the HHKB caps feel much better on the Leo, and the Leo's caps feel much better on the HHKB! The Leo's profile is slightly different -- a little shorter -- and the PBT is thinner. This actually makes the HHKB thock even more, while the thicker HHKB keys reduce the (IMO undesirable) upstroke "click" of the Leo. I plan to do spicebar's silence mod on my Leo as soon as I get the right materials.

Show Image

That is fantastic news because I was thinking about buying some new key caps for my Leo which is right now modded with the blank red keycaps for a Realforce keyboard, and it looks good but I want something different lately. I have been looking for white and or beige alpha keys from a Realforce key set to order for the leopold. I only wish that I ordered the Leo later on so I could have some blank black pbt caps on it because it would make my switching between keyboards with different key placement and size so much easier to do when you have blank caps to work with. Granted I am fine with the alpha keys being marked with legends and what not because usually that is something that does not change on most keyboards I have used. I am seriously considering doing something similar to what you have done here but with the blank red modifier key instead of black. If only leopold gave you the option to buy blank black key caps.
Leopold FC660C- Realforce 87u 55g- QFR mx Blues

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 11:25:38 »
I just got my FC660M yesterday and this really is a fantastic board. The quality of it and the keycaps are excellent for the price, and it's very nice having dedicated arrow keys while maintaining a functional layout for such a small board.

Only issue I have with it, which isn't necessarily a flaw but still a significant inconvenience is the placement of the Fn key. Even if it were to be switched with the control key sitting next to it that would be better. But having to, for example, use two hands to actuate F5 feels unnecessary. I guess I can get used to it though. I would buy this board again in the 660C version.

You should get a Macross set for your new Leo

Offline drinkbleach

« Reply #354 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 10:07:19 »
Just got my 660c with blank keycaps

I put a piece of black masking tape on the space bar, in hopes to protects it from shine and gives an added textured feel. Easy to put on, easy to take off 

Love the smooth action of topre. The board up-stroke is a little "clacky" . Will be trying silent mod.

« Last Edit: Sun, 16 March 2014, 11:43:38 by drinkbleach »

Offline combataran

« Reply #355 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:13:10 »
660C vs Realforce 87 vs HHKB? Which 1 should I try to pick up?

My 2 cents ~ If you're wanting to get only a 45g:

- 660C if you want something that feels poppy, soft, and full-on cloudofboobs. Best feel 45g, IMO. Dedicated arrow cluster.

- HHKB if you want max THOCK, plastic-feel/casemount-feel (this is not a bad thing, and it is greatly fun). Best looking. 60% layout.

- RealForce 87 if you want TKl layout. Probably the worst feeling 45g Topre out of them all.

If you want Thorpe God Feels, Realforce 55g ;)

If you were to choose your first Topre(it is in my case), would you go with the 660C or the RF 55g?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #356 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:20:08 »

- 660C if you want something that feels poppy, soft, and full-on cloudofboobs. Best feel 45g, IMO. Dedicated arrow cluster.

- HHKB if you want max THOCK, plastic-feel/casemount-feel (this is not a bad thing, and it is greatly fun). Best looking. 60% layout.

- RealForce 87 if you want TKl layout. Probably the worst feeling 45g Topre out of them all.

If you were to choose your first Topre(it is in my case), would you go with the 660C or the RF 55g?

I have the 660C and a RF 55g. The 660C has a great feel and a good pop to it. The 55g has a little more pop but it puts stress on my fingers and wrists. I dont intend to "get used to it" either. One thing I learned from my knee...if your joint is hurting thats bad...dont power through it. You may be fine with the 55g though, it depends on the person.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:25:39 »

Get the FC660C as your first Topre board. Then when you're used to that, get the RF 55g. I think it's best to ease into Topre that way.
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:37:07 »

I have the 660C and a RF 55g. The 660C has a great feel and a good pop to it. The 55g has a little more pop but it puts stress on my fingers and wrists. I dont intend to "get used to it" either. One thing I learned from my knee...if your joint is hurting thats bad...dont power through it. You may be fine with the 55g though, it depends on the person.

I can agree that you should never force something that hurts onto oneself.. However, I think the 55g is a good kind of weight. It's never going to cause any harm to your fingers unless one finds it to be strenuous and that same person is typing for 6 hours straight a day on it, and even then, as long as that person isn't typing over 100 WPMs during that entire time, it's perfectly fine. It's a great, responsive, and solid switch that is actually not that stiff compared to other stiff switches like Cherry MX Black, stock Clears, or Buckling Spring. It only has a semi-stiff peak at top for like 0.5mm travel before it's just a smooth butter light drop to the bottom.

Get the FC660C as your first Topre board. Then when you're used to that, get the RF 55g. I think it's best to ease into Topre that way.

I agree that the FC660C is an absolutely awesome first Topre to get. It gives the best representation of why Topre feels so good, and you'll be totally sucked in. If you end up liking it, you'll definitely end up being super curious about the 55g afterwards. I can bet on that. You can't really go wrong with either of them. If you're okay with stiffer switches, the 55g is a perfect first Topre too. You'll eventually end up with 55g in the end anyway :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:40:24 by VesperSAINT »

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #359 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:41:08 »
Vesperbro, remember when I asked you about putting 55g domes in a FC660C? Well turns out that Matt3o's already done it! I might try it after my RF comes.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #360 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:45:25 »
Vesperbro, remember when I asked you about putting 55g domes in a FC660C? Well turns out that Matt3o's already done it! I might try it after my RF comes.

Oooo really nowwwwww~ That's interesting!!! Only reason I haven't done it is because I just love my RF55g as is :P. If you do it, please let me know what you think compared to how it feels in the 660C and the RF!

Man, you and Travellerr went the exact same routes because of my videos on Youtube, which is 660C then to RF55g (you went one extra and also got the Filco Ergo Clears too :P ) My apologies LOL!

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:48:38 »

Oooo really nowwwwww~ That's interesting!!! Only reason I haven't done it is because I just love my RF55g as is :P. If you do it, please let me know what you think compared to how it feels in the 660C and the RF!

Man, you and Travellerr went the exact same routes because of my videos on Youtube, which is 660C then to RF55g (you went one extra and also got the Filco Ergo Clears too :P ) My apologies LOL!

Haha I've actually since sold the 660C and have purchased a JD40 that's currently being built...so, not exactly the same. Maybe someday I'll have all your boards, though :thumb:

If i mod the 660C to 55g I'll have to pick up a blank one from EK—but I could never stand those legends anyway ;P

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:51:07 »

Haha I've actually since sold the 660C and have purchased a JD40 that's currently being built...so, not exactly the same. Maybe someday I'll have all your boards, though :thumb:

If i mod the 660C to 55g I'll have to pick up a blank one from EK—but I could never stand those legends anyway ;P

Hehehe nice gets on the JD40!

I definitely prefer blanks too but because I don't look down at my hands, I don't mind the legends on my 660C, but I really do wish they'd just sell the caps separately :(

Offline combataran

« Reply #363 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 21:10:54 »

I can agree that you should never force something that hurts onto oneself.. However, I think the 55g is a good kind of weight. It's never going to cause any harm to your fingers unless one finds it to be strenuous and that same person is typing for 6 hours straight a day on it, and even then, as long as that person isn't typing over 100 WPMs during that entire time, it's perfectly fine. It's a great, responsive, and solid switch that is actually not that stiff compared to other stiff switches like Cherry MX Black, stock Clears, or Buckling Spring. It only has a semi-stiff peak at top for like 0.5mm travel before it's just a smooth butter light drop to the bottom.

I agree that the FC660C is an absolutely awesome first Topre to get. It gives the best representation of why Topre feels so good, and you'll be totally sucked in. If you end up liking it, you'll definitely end up being super curious about the 55g afterwards. I can bet on that. You can't really go wrong with either of them. If you're okay with stiffer switches, the 55g is a perfect first Topre too. You'll eventually end up with 55g in the end anyway :P

I never like MX Blacks to begin with. I bottom out all the time, but the blacks just felt too stiff for me. I was worried that it might be the same with the 55g. I just can't decide between the two, and the price difference isn't that much either. On one hand there's the better looking(black on black keys) albeit more expensive 55g, and on the other, well I would certainly miss the function row. I don't plan on waiting for the Novatouch anymore, I'm not that patient of a person. I really do want to believe that the 55 is the god switch though. Still find it hard deciding between the two.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 21:36:06 »

Pretty much what happened to me. FC660C was my first Topre board. My first impression was "Ooooo... aaaah... buttery smoooooth... I like... I like very much.... " Then I caught the Topre bug and became super curious about the much talked about 55g. So when I finally got that, I had the FC660C to compare it to and holy smokes did it make a difference. Even though I initially loved the feel of the FC660C, I love typing on the 55g even more than the FC660C now.

So yeah like Vesper says... all roads eventually lead to 55g! :)
ReΛlforce 87U (55g)   Leopold FC660C (Silenced/Lubed)   Leopold 210TP MX Red   Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja MX Brown

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 22:29:38 »
I never like MX Blacks to begin with. I bottom out all the time, but the blacks just felt too stiff for me. I was worried that it might be the same with the 55g. I just can't decide between the two, and the price difference isn't that much either. On one hand there's the better looking(black on black keys) albeit more expensive 55g, and on the other, well I would certainly miss the function row. I don't plan on waiting for the Novatouch anymore, I'm not that patient of a person. I really do want to believe that the 55 is the god switch though. Still find it hard deciding between the two.

The 55g Topre is no way near as stiff as the Cherry MX Blacks. You have to realize that with Topre only the top part of the key press is stiff for a split second before the cup rubber caves and it's pretty much a free fall to the bottom of the switch. It's designed to be bottomed out, and it's near impossible not to while typing normally. Even at its peak stiffness at the top (which is only for a split second), the 55g Topre is still lighter than Black.

Pretty much what happened to me. FC660C was my first Topre board. My first impression was "Ooooo... aaaah... buttery smoooooth... I like... I like very much.... " Then I caught the Topre bug and became super curious about the much talked about 55g. So when I finally got that, I had the FC660C to compare it to and holy smokes did it make a difference. Even though I initially loved the feel of the FC660C, I love typing on the 55g even more than the FC660C now.

So yeah like Vesper says... all roads eventually lead to 55g! :)

:) 45g Topre may be the most efficient but 55g is definitely the most pleasurable in terms of feel and sound, in my opinion :D

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #366 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 05:55:11 »

To me it sounds like you are describing my 660c. I think I just have baby hands I guess. Maybe Ill take her for another run tonight well see.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 08:31:38 »

To me it sounds like you are describing my 660c. I think I just have baby hands I guess. Maybe Ill take her for another run tonight well see.

:) Yeah, for some people 55g Topre can be overwhelming at first (I almost sold mine too because of this), but with some time, people learn how to type on it and it eventually becomes their favorite. Of course, it's not for everyone though :P It'll also never be a workhorse keyboard though because lighter keyboards are always better for that, even if they don't feel as good and responsive as the 55g.

You should definitely give it another shot! Only problem is that they take a decent amount of time to get used to :P

Offline combataran

« Reply #368 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 09:49:05 »
P.S. Did you find any site or service particularly helpful when learning Dvorak?

I used this source to start, then used Stamina 3.0 a lot for practice with all sorts of words and sentences, and now I mostly use 10FF. And if I could get to 170 in that time, I'd be happy heh.
Hey dude, can I have the link to Stamina 3.0? Can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm thinking of cold-turkey switching to Dvorak, and need all the help I can get. Also, I would like to know of any initial hurdles you had to surpass during the initial learning phase.

Thanks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 16:21:37 »

:) Yeah, for some people 55g Topre can be overwhelming at first (I almost sold mine too because of this), but with some time, people learn how to type on it and it eventually becomes their favorite. Of course, it's not for everyone though :P It'll also never be a workhorse keyboard though because lighter keyboards are always better for that, even if they don't feel as good and responsive as the 55g.

You should definitely give it another shot! Only problem is that they take a decent amount of time to get used to :P

I found I prefer MX black or green, so I surprised myself by also liking 45g Topre in my HHKB.

I am curious to try 55g Topre one day ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 16:35:09 »

I found I prefer MX black or green, so I surprised myself by also liking 45g Topre in my HHKB.

want to buy my 55g?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #371 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 16:39:39 »

want to buy my 55g?

No money :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #372 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 12:51:55 »
nice, thanks for the review... maybe i'll pick one up too

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #373 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 22:26:56 »
nice, thanks for the review... maybe i'll pick one up too

(b^_^)b

let us know if you do and you get it :)

Offline boradori007

• I'm trippin bear balls.
« Reply #374 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 02:11:41 »
Maybe one day...

Offline blingcaps

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 22:44:56 »
mine finally arrived in the mail!

i've been typing on reds and browns at home for a couple weeks now.  after opening the FC660C and typing on it, my first impression was actually huge disappointment....

"this is it!?" is what i thought.  i also felt that the keys were extremely heavy.  i'm surprised that reds, browns, and these topres are all 45g, because i don't believe it.  it's clearly reds, then browns, then topres in terms of force required.

i'm starting to get used to the topre the more i type on it, and the more i type the more i enjoy it.   i suspect it might become my favorite after a week.  i guess time will tell.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 22:49:19 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:14:48 »

i've been typing on reds and browns at home for a couple weeks now.  after opening the FC660C and typing on it, my first impression was actually huge disappointment....

"this is it!?" is what i thought.  i also felt that the keys were extremely heavy.  i'm surprised that reds, browns, and these topres are all 45g, because i don't believe it.  it's clearly reds, then browns, then topres in terms of force required.

i'm starting to get used to the topre the more i type on it, and the more i type the more i enjoy it.   i suspect it might become my favorite after a week.  i guess time will tell.

Please give yourself a week or two using the FC660C exclusively, if you can.

Then try switching back to something else and see how the old keyboard feels then.

Yes Topre seems to dissapoint a lot of people the first time they try it, because really it is rubber dome.  It is just capacitive rubber dome.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:19:04 »

Then try switching back to something else and see how the old keyboard feels then.

Yes Topre seems to dissapoint a lot of people the first time they try it, because really it is rubber dome.  It is just capacitive rubber dome.

A very expensive rubber dome though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #379 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:24:43 »

Yes, but very quality too :)

Offline boradori007

• I'm trippin bear balls.
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:48:55 »
soon  you will be mine!

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #381 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 07:21:55 »

You just haven't experienced the oneness with cup rubber yet, give it time young padawan.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline blingcaps

« Reply #382 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:13:52 »
just reporting back that i'm starting to feel oneness with the cup rubber  :))

i'm consistently 10wpm slower with the topre switches, since i find it incredibly difficult not to bottom out, whereas i'm able to do so much easier on the brown/red switches.  nonetheless, bottoming out on topres is very satisfying.  i didn't notice it at first but it's very noticable now when i switch back and forth between keyboards.

now i know what people mean when they say "scratchy" browns or "smooth" topres!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #383 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:23:23 »

i'm consistently 10wpm slower with the topre switches, since i find it incredibly difficult not to bottom out, whereas i'm able to do so much easier on the brown/red switches.  nonetheless, bottoming out on topres is very satisfying.  i didn't notice it at first but it's very noticable now when i switch back and forth between keyboards.

Glad to hear, bro :D

Just in case ~ if you're trying not to bottom out on Topre, you should make it easier on yourself and just stop trying. Topre is designed to be bottomed out.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #384 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:40:59 »

You shouldn't try not to bottom out on topre; it's virtually impossible. You might notice yourself making fewer mistakes on topre than on mx red/brown, though. My accuracy and WPM went up significantly from MX Blues to 45g topre.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #385 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 00:57:01 »

You shouldn't try not to bottom out on topre; it's virtually impossible. You might notice yourself making fewer mistakes on topre than on mx red/brown, though. My accuracy and WPM went up significantly from MX Blues to 45g topre.

Just my experience, I'm pretty much the same on anything that's not a heavy switch or linear, including rubber domes, although most of my bests were in Blues. YMMV but for typing, Blues are definitely better because you won't bottom out much as you say. Might not make much of a difference, and certainly not a reason to switch considering you like the feel of Topre.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #386 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 02:38:06 »

Congratulations!

One of us ... one of us ...

That slight resistance as your finger touches the key, then the keyboard succumbs to the pressure and your finger seems to melt through the keyboard, and you enjoy the oneness with cup rubber.

Offline skrotnisse

« Reply #387 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 18:03:57 »
Nice review. Waiting for it to pop in the mailbox  :D

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #388 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:31:45 »
One of the things hold me back from getting one is the keycaps.
Looks like finally that's no longer an issue.

$233, same price as the 87u type-s

Not sure I can live without the pu/pd/home/end cluster & func keys...

« Last Edit: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:52:53 by gh_pp »
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline intelli78

« Reply #389 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:34:21 »
Very nice. Is it in your possession, and if so, where did you get it? More pics plz? :)
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #390 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:35:04 »
Very nice review. Topre sounds really nice, I want to try one of these next.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #391 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:36:10 »
One of the things hold me back from getting one is the keycaps.
Looks like finally that's no longer an issue.

The omission of the pu/pd/home/end cluster however...

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Whaaaa....?!? Where did this come from?!?

Offline avtar

« Reply #392 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:03:23 »

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #393 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:21:45 »
Whaaaa....?!? Where did this come from?!?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57246.0

Oh, I did see that a few days ago! I didn't realize they were dye-sublimated!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #394 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 19:31:14 »
Show Image

That picture of a keyboard on the bottom of the box - it is a photo, or a drawing?

When these were first released, a blurry picture made me think that there was a white FC660C (white case and keycaps) somewhere.

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #395 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 19:05:35 »
I just finished doing the dental band mod on my fc660c, I honestly can't believe how well this worked. My keyboard sounds absolutely incredible and there's absolutely no impact on the key travel. Unreal.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #396 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 19:09:02 »
I just finished doing the dental band mod on my fc660c, I honestly can't believe how well this worked. My keyboard sounds absolutely incredible and there's absolutely no impact on the key travel. Unreal.

Hmmm.... curious to do it on mine now...

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #397 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 19:10:53 »

I have a whole spare back of dental bands and krytox lube is showing up tomorrow. I'd be happy to pass along the surplus supplies.

Offline nobee

• Topre! Topre! Topre!
« Reply #398 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 19:30:35 »

I have a whole spare back of dental bands and krytox lube is showing up tomorrow. I'd be happy to pass along the surplus supplies.

Is it a big difference in feel? How does the upstroke sound? Because I hate the "Clack" on the upstroke. It's even worse with the RF keys.

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #399 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 19:52:58 »
Eliminates the upstroke clack entirely.