Author Topic: WASD V2 review - HQ pictures  (Read 14265 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
WASD V2 review - HQ pictures
« on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 04:22:41 »
This isn't really going to be a great review of a V2, probably more of a code, due to me changing out the switches from Browns to Clears.

My initial boo boo...

As you may notice, unlike me, this is not an ISO layout board! It is indeed an ANSI layout board, something I didnt find out until I tried to put the caps on a fully modded board! Luckily the guys at WASD were very nice, admitted sending me the wrong board (I HAD asked for an ISO V2), and agreed to send out a replacement.

You will also be able to see here that the caps are VERY thing ABS caps. I think an investment in the very near future will be a set of white PBT or doubleshots, and maybe blue too if I can find some.

Soooooo

Take two! Unboxing.

Standard contents really. Barebones keyboard, wire keycap puller and a card telling what the DIP switches do. On top of that however is a small amount of lube, and inserts for the stabilised keys.

I had it modified by Margo, so he left me a little present <3

I decided to go for a blue and white theme. One to break up the monotony of black boards I have right now, and also, because I work for a water company, they might accept it a bit more in the office :)

I think the finished product looks pretty slick. Because I chose key colour based on position rather than function, I think it looks a lot nicer, and almost like it could be ANSI layout.

As for the switches, well, I've been swapping a lot between browns and blues at the moment, and I thought browns were going to be my workhorse. Having spent a night typing on clears however, I am glad I spent so much time and effort getting a board with them on. The extra force needed to push the keys down makes for a more pleasant typing experience, with minimal sound, minimal bottoming out, and maximum feedback. Now I'm typing this review up on browns, I feel like I'm going to crack a cap with the force I'm putting into my keystrokes (lol, jk, I'm typing on a KC, come on guys).

But seriously, I didn't even realise I was typing harder on clears until I came back to my KC, and while I still love browns, clears are definitely my new favourite switch. Typing on ABS is strange however, and each key press doesn't feel quite as solid as I would like it to be.

You can find the rest of my album here - http://imgur.com/a/i6iCK#0

I am purchasing another KC soon with blacks, so we will see how that goes.

Special shout out to Margo Baggins, who put up with so much crap from me over four months and was in constant contact. Great guy with A+ service in every aspect.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: WASD V2 review - HQ pictures
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 05:11:06 »
But seriously, I didn't even realise I was typing harder on clears until I came back to my KC, and while I still love browns, clears are definitely my new favourite switch. Typing on ABS is strange however, and each key press doesn't feel quite as solid as I would like it to be.

I started out with Blues, Browns, Blacks , Reds and then later Clears and now Greens.  I just love the Greens to death.  I bought the WASD V2 TKL (with GreenMX switches) version and it's very sturdy even with my gorilla hands hitting the keys roughly, the keyboard still doesn't buckle at all.

Nice to see a decent TKL keyboard with a variety of switches available for purchase without any keys, I just love that concept because after all we're Geekhackers we have loads of spare key-sets  :thumb: .

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 00:43:54 »
Cool, man!  Blue and white makes for a good color combo.  Yeah, I have a WASD V2 as well, and unfortunately the caps are thin.  But there are tons of keysets to play with, so no problems there. :)

I'd really like to try out Clears someday and see if I like them.  I have boards with Browns and Reds, and I'd like a little more weight, but I'm not sure if Clears would be too heavy for me.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 01:05:56 »
Yeah, I have a WASD V2 as well, and unfortunately the caps are thin.

If you could convince all the NOOBS here on Geekhack that if you buy DCS from SP you get that gawd awful, thin as 'glad-wrap' rubbish, masquerading as a key-set profile.

Once they purchase a DSA or even better an SA profile then they are informed about which key-set profile rules over the CherryMX land.  Never go for cheapness always go for the BEST  :thumb: .

Offline tbc

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 01:40:56 »
^

i really wish they would make thick DSA...is there a technical reason they don't?
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 02:23:47 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline bumgrapes

• Poker II
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 02:37:13 »
^

i really wish they would make thick DSA...is there a technical reason they don't?

$$$ :p

I too was disappointed with the caps from WASD. I didn't think I'd care, but as my Poker II arrived first, I had the pleasure of typing on thick ABS caps for a couple of weeks.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 04:54:40 »
I too was disappointed with the caps from WASD. I didn't think I'd care, but as my Poker II arrived first, I had the pleasure of typing on thick ABS caps for a couple of weeks.

I didn't order the WASD V2 TKL with their key-set and that lowered the price overall for me.  Plus if you really want ABS thickness, then there is no other manufacturer that delivers that in spades than GMK  :thumb: .

If you can get a key-set from them that will set you up for life.  I personally get attracted to SP's keys (DSA and SA) only because of the new colours/designs but that is getting quite boring now.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:15:09 »
Wait.. I thought Poker 2 comes with PBT caps?

Offline tbc

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 06:31:27 »
pretty sure he'a mistaken or made a typo.

backlit poker 2 comes with abs caps, but i never heard of them being thick.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
WASD V2 review - HQ pictures
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 15:02:40 »
There are two versions.  Backlit with thin ABS with legends that light can shine through.  Non backlit with PBT and highly sought after Enjoy Your Feeling space bar.  From what I've read, the non backlit version is the same inside, so one can add LEDs if you know how to solder.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline bumgrapes

• Poker II
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:03:50 »
pretty sure he'a mistaken or made a typo.

backlit poker 2 comes with abs caps, but i never heard of them being thick.

My bad, I meant PBT!

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:37:43 »
hey there guys :D

Sorry if this is answered but anyone managed to open the keyboard to check out whether the pcb has led holes? :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:51:25 »
Wait.. I thought Poker 2 comes with PBT caps?

There are two types of Poker II, one comes with ABS caps, and I think it comes also with leds. The other is a little cheaper, and comes with PBT caps and no leds.

Offline Angrychair

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 02:09:26 »
thats a good clean board sir

Sprit60      Poker II      Code                  Corsair K70

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 16:42:42 »
This isn't really going to be a great review of a V2, probably more of a code, due to me changing out the switches from Browns to Clears.

CODE uses a completely different double sided PCB... so yours will always be a V2 :)

Also when the V2 was first released clears were an option.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 22:38:45 by Lu_e »

Offline sockit2me

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 21:58:05 »
Good work with the review! I enjoyed it =)

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 02:51:11 »
Im waiting for my  v2  with Clears, also ordered ISO with clears but TKL.
Unfortunatley they sent me MX Blues instead. They admitted sending me the wrong thing, hopefully ill get it soon :)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 04:38:46 »

You should get it in Greens (I did) simply perfect for any Man to use at any time  :thumb: .

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 05:13:09 »

You should get it in Greens (I did) simply perfect for any Man to use at any time  :thumb: .

I will get greens soon enough, i will collect them ALL :)

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 18:45:56 »
I was thinking about getting a V2 but there are minimal reviews about it on YouTube (I haven't discovered this website until AFTER I got my Ducky) so I got my Ducky instead. What got me hooked on the WASD V2 is the use of Dip switches and the detachable USB cable. When I found out the Shine 3 has the same features plus backlighting, I bought the Shine 3 on impulse and haven't looked back since. But very nice and comprehensive review!
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 01:57:29 »
Also worth to mention, i modified the tkl plate to be able to switch top removal,  took a long time, but worked out pretty good.

Offline JDorfler

• My Blog
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 10:54:28 »
Very nice review.  I learned more about the keyboard I had purchased and using now.  Thank you.