Author Topic: KBT Race 2 First Impressions  (Read 14602 times)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
KBT Race 2 First Impressions
« on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 19:47:01 »

KBT Race 2

I got my Race 2 from Rabbitwebfactory. I got the Limited edition model because, personally, I enjoyed the look of the white caps. As you can see, the green backlighting is very vivid and on the highest setting is easily viewable in bright light. The white keycaps of the Race 2 feel much smoother (maybe slick is more the word I'm looking for) than those of the white Race which felt chalky. I went with brown switches because I currently do not own a board with browns, and if I didn't like it, I had already decided that I was changing it to clears, so it didn't matter. Personally, I feel that browns are a little bit scratchy, but I'm currently waiting on my replacement switches to come in, so hopefully, they will break in by then.

Pros:

Layout and function layer- They have made the function layer very helpful as for launching apps and selecting both a delay level and keeping media keys.

Cons:

Case-The case feels very flimsy and light. Personally, I do not like plastic cases on my keyboards anyways, so I replaced mine with an IMSTO aluminum case.
Keycaps-Though they feel better than those of the original Race, I feel like the finish will chip easily. Time will tell.

I will post an updated review after I've had the keyboard for a fair amount of time, however, the review will be done in 2 parts; with, and without modifications.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Maya_Natsume

Re: KBT Race 2 First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 19:55:49 »
I also got my KBT RACE 2 from Rabbit Web Factory!

I am absolutely loving it. Have you saw their programming function video? I hasn't got the time to try out this function yet.

By the way, is the alu casing design for RACE 1 and it fits RACE 2?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 19:56:18 »
imsto made 75% board?

And how do the arrow keys and r shift feel?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 20:04:49 »
I also got my KBT RACE 2 from Rabbit Web Factory!

I am absolutely loving it. Have you saw their programming function video? I hasn't got the time to try out this function yet.

By the way, is the alu casing design for RACE 1 and it fits RACE 2?

Yes, the casing was for the Race 1 and also fits the Race 2. I made sure the dimensions were the same prior to buying the Race 2. As for the programming function, I have the Home, pgup, pgdn, and end buttons set up as different in game functions when pressed in conjunction with the function key.

imsto made 75% board?

And how do the arrow keys and r shift feel?

IMSTO made the case in a group buy ~2 years ago. I got mine from Halverson, as he was selling the one he got in the GB. As for the Right shift, I rarely use it, even on full-sized boards, but when I do go to use it, I have no problems finding it. The arrow keys feel a little bit weird when you're used to 1.0 unit arrows, but overall, they feel fine. I have no complaints about them.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:02:10 »
Interesting. The Race was actually my first ever mechanical, so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it, I wasn't even aware the Race 2 was released already.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:03:45 »
Interesting. The Race was actually my first ever mechanical, so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it, I wasn't even aware the Race 2 was released already.

It actually just started shipping stateside this week. And not a problem! It's quickly becoming my favorite layout!

Offline IAmTheGuy

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 18:31:44 »
Sexy.  I hope the keycaps don't wear out horriblely like before.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 18:36:15 »
Sexy.  I hope the keycaps don't wear out horriblely like before.

Me too, but time will tell. I'm going to be using this extensively as my work board for a while to give it a fair full review. I'll report back in about two months with results.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:29:26 »
Is there a Group buy going on right now that is selling a 75% board that works for the Race 2? Also, how do you change out the board on a Race 2? Thanks.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:38:57 »
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but, the sprit group buy has a 75%, however, it has the USB port in a different place, and the layout on that board is more similar to a Noppoo Choc Mini. So that board won't work for the Race 2's case. As for changing out the board on a Race 2, it's just a matter of unscrewing 5 screws from the case.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:40:29 »
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but, the sprit group buy has a 75%, however, it has the USB port in a different place, and the layout on that board is more similar to a Noppoo Choc Mini. So that board won't work for the Race 2's case. As for changing out the board on a Race 2, it's just a matter of unscrewing 5 screws from the case.
What about this one? Will that fit a Race? - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59950.0

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:41:42 »
What about this one? Will that fit a Race? - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59950.0

Yes, the Abostudio one is made for the race. If you PM kinruan, he'll get you set up with pricing info.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:49:12 »

Yes, the Abostudio one is made for the race. If you PM kinruan, he'll get you set up with pricing info.
I did PM him and he said that the price is $180 but the thread's first post says $100? I PM'd him back asking why the price difference but he has yet to respond.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:52:33 »

I did PM him and he said that the price is $180 but the thread's first post says $100? I PM'd him back asking why the price difference but he has yet to respond.

The $100 is for the number pad case, not the Race case.

Offline Aidenknives

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 14:03:05 »
Damn my bad. Thanks for the help!