Author Topic: MX-Compatible switches, reviews, facts and data.  (Read 7086 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
MX-Compatible switches, reviews, facts and data.
« on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:02:00 »
I propose the community members to share their experiences with the new and upcoming MX-Compatible switches. In the interest of this community it would be very important to get the facts and data on this new bread of switches that will be made by different manufacturers due to the patent expiration.

We have been using switches with known quality an reliabilty until now, but the new and upcoming compatible switches will have unknown performance. Thus, it would be very important to have the evidence in a single record for all to be aware of their characteristics, to make informed decisions.

Comments welcome.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: MX-Compatible switches, reviews, facts and data.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:07:59 »
Great idea!

How about some blind testing at KeyCon East and KeyCon West?  I'd be happy to make a tester board with some Cherry Browns and some MX-compatible Browns from TechKeys.us.

Another good comparison would be two Razers, one with Cherry switches and one with Razer's new MX-compatible switches. 

I'll do the Brown comparison board.  Any Razer fans out there who would be willing to provide the second tester?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:10:28 »
How about some blind testing at KeyCon East and KeyCon West? 

I'd be happy to make a tester board with some Cherry Browns and some MX-compatible Browns from TechKeys.us.

Just so you don't get the East Coast GHers all excited, there's no Keycon East planned AFAIK (unfortunately :(). Just Keycon West hosted by your lovely self Ron and Keycon Midwest in Chicago suggested by mkawa and i3oilermaker.

A tester board at Keycon West would be awesome. I'd be interested in it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:17:58 »
Great idea!

How about some blind testing at KeyCon East and KeyCon West?  I'd be happy to make a tester board with some Cherry Browns and some MX-compatible Browns from TechKeys.us.

Another good comparison would be two Razers, one with Cherry switches and one with Razer's new MX-compatible switches. 

I'll do the Brown comparison board.  Any Razer fans out there who would be willing to provide the second tester?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Excellent idea. I think we should take charge of testing these new switches as users. The manufacturers will be focused on costs and profits, but we are interested in quality and reliability.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:41:49 by ideus »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:40:25 »
Check out CPTBadAss' links on some Cherry compatible switches

The color you chose for that link is impossible to see on the Nostalgia theme, just a heads up.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:42:22 »

The color you chose for that link is impossible to see on the Nostalgia theme, just a heads up.

Thanks, I used navy now.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:51:00 »

Thanks, I used navy now.

It's equally bad. Nostaliga has a black background so the color needs to contrast with that.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:53:27 »
MX-Compatible Browns on order for the comparison tester.  i3oilermaker is sponsoring part of the test, so thanks to him for that!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 11:55:10 »
Just so you don't get the East Coast GHers all excited, there's no Keycon East planned AFAIK (unfortunately :()

Keycon East, New York around Xmas/New Years

I want to attend one and I happen to be there around then. Distance is a b**ch

Offline kaz

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 19:40:32 »
When was the patent expiration? Another forum said the Cherry MX patent expired on 2003.
Cherry G80-11800 (Workhorse) | Cherry G80-11900 | \'93 IBM Model M | Apple M0116

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 19:59:15 »
Apparently this is the reference to the original patent: US4467160. Filed on 1983.

Offline kaz

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:03:01 »
Apparently this is the reference to the original patent: US4467160. Filed on 1983.

Patents don't usually last longer than 20 years so I'm not sure whats happened. Maybe it's a different patent or the patent was extended for some reason.
Cherry G80-11800 (Workhorse) | Cherry G80-11900 | \'93 IBM Model M | Apple M0116

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 23:20:38 »

Patents don't usually last longer than 20 years so I'm not sure whats happened. Maybe it's a different patent or the patent was extended for some reason.

Check the legal updates at the bottom. And also the related patents. Some may be filed to extend this original one.