Author Topic: OG HHKB PD-KB02 review  (Read 5970 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
OG HHKB PD-KB02 review
« on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 20:43:58 »
For those of you who don't know, the original Happy Hacking Keyboard was more similar to the modern Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite than it was to it's more popular child, the Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro.  I haven't seen a ton of these pop up recently, so I thought I'd do a little review of it.

First off, I want to say thanks to jalaj and his little contest that let me get the keyboard to review.

External Build

As you can probably tell, the board is a little old (14 years) and a little dirty, but it still bears that hallmark HHKB layout. 

In the same fashion as the HHKB Pro, the HHKB uses rubber dome switches.  Unlike the HHKB Pro, they're not the ultra-refined Topre switches, but they are a nice rubber dome nonetheless.  The design of the switches and the caps makes for a very stable switch with no wobble.  The switches also have a fair amount of lube on them if you can't tell from the pictures.

The caps for it are almost Alps like in that they're rectangular and fit snugly into a rectangular hole.  The stabilizers are interesting to me since they're your standard Alps style stabilizers with a thin wire that mounts to small clips on the plate, but instead of the standard square peg that most older Alps style stabilizers have, they have a cross mount.

When you feel the board, it's pretty solid feeling given that it's a rubber dome board.  There is a fair amount of torsional flex to the board when you twist it, but it feels solid when you do so.  It's not like some keyboards where it feels and sounds like you're breaking it when you flex it.  On the other hand, it's not solid like a Model F or AT101W or the Wyse Alps board I've got a review of coming up soon.  Given what it is though, it's a pretty nice board with regards to external build quality.

Internal build quality

The keyboard wasn't exactly the easiest to open up.  Where I normally use a putty knife to pry open a case, the HHKB required a small flat head screwdriver and patience.

When you open it up, you can see it's fairly well constructed.  It has a nice backplate, though I wish it was thicker, and some well thought out layouts in the interior of the case.  If you look closely, you can see that they thought about cable stress and deliberately designed the way the cable lies inside of the case to put less stress on the internals if you accidentally snagged the cable on something.  It's also nice to see steel screws instead of rivets inside the case.

Typing on the HHKB

Since I don't have a PS/2 extension cable on hand, I can only give you an idea of what it feels like without actually typing with it.  I wish I could say that this review was written with it, but that would be a lie.

Overall, the keyboard feels surprisingly good to type on for it being a rubber dome keyboard.  There's a nice tactility to the switches that some rubber dome keyboards are missing, instead resulting in a mushy feel, and it's miles better than any pure membrane keyboard I've ever tried.  Unlike Topre switches, it's not a nice crisp tactility at the top of the switch that then gently bottoms out.  Instead, you get a tactile bump that's toward the top of the bump, but not always at the top, that's lacking that crisp defined feel and then it falls all to quickly to a hard springy bottom out.  It's almost the feeling that I feel when I bottom out a switch that has o-rings, just a slight mushy sponginess to the bottom that's not terrible, but not pleasant either.  They also feel like they have an incredibly short throw to them, much shorter than an MX switch, similar in throw to Alps, but longer than scissor switch.  And, sadly, the spacebar feels spongy and mushy.  The spacebar on the keyboard is just terrible.

In short, while it's better than many rubber dome keyboards out there and any membrane board I've tried, it's still nowhere near as nice as MX switches, nice Alps, or my T500's scissor switches.  That said, I wouldn't feel bad tossing it in a bag and using it when I need a small keyboard with me instead of using my laptop keyboard.

The slope of the caps is also weird.  They just feel too low and like each row blends into the next.  Using the legs on it doesn't really help either.

Lastly, the layout.  You either love or hate the HHKB layout.  In my short time with it, I can say that I don't love it.  Maybe I could get used to it, but just playing with it is not fun for me. 

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: OG HHKB PD-KB02 review
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 20:51:32 »
Thanks for the review, sir! I can't say I'd even heard of this keyboard before, but I appreciate this insight.

I happen to fall firmly into the camp of people that love the HHKB layout. On OS X, it was basically the exact layout I used before I had a HHKB; swapped L-Ctrl with Caps, Command/Windows next to spacebar, Alt a step out from that. The only thing different for me is the placement of Backspace, which I've gotten so fond of that I now find it hard to switch back to standard keyboards. So for me it was completely natural, but I can believe that it's a frustrating change for some people.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 21:00:21 »
It's that damn backspace/delete thing that gets me.  I could probably get used to the rest, but that part does me in.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 21:02:55 »
Yeah, that was awkward at first, but after a solid day of typing on it I see why they did it. Backspace is used much more than backslash, and moving it closer to the homerow makes a lot of sense. But because it's such a common key, it takes the longest to get used to. I bet you'd be used to it after a day or two of typing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 21:14:48 »
It's that damn backspace/delete thing that gets me.  I could probably get used to the rest, but that part does me in.

Works fine for me.  I seem to adjust faster to that than to where bs normall is on a conventional TKL layout when I switch between them.

The ~` key is what gets me - Mac uses it to switch between open windows of the foreground app, and I usually do that with the left hand.  On HHKB I usually end up using both hands.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 21:17:33 »

Works fine for me.  I seem to adjust faster to that than to where bs normall is on a conventional TKL layout when I switch between them.

The ~` key is what gets me - Mac uses it to switch between open windows of the foreground app, and I usually do that with the left hand.  On HHKB I usually end up using both hands.

Ah, I forgot about that one; that gets me too. However, I still appreciate the new placement. I imagine that you can relate to this: as a programmer having either Esc or ~ on the Fn layer is very sub-optimal.