Author Topic: CM Storm Novatouch Pre-Launch Showcase & First Impressions & Typing test  (Read 40948 times)

Offline YuukiHaruto

Cooler Master's gaming division CM STORM is preparing to launch a new keyboard.

"Oh no, not another keyboard again?!" Well this one is entirely radically new and different. That's why I'm here to give my First Impressions
I want to start of with why this keyboard is different.
Firstly, it will be the FIRST mass-manufactured and sold keyboard that can be found in every country and not just from elitekeyboards if you are in the states. (IIRC)
Secondly, it has compatibility with your Cherry MX-compatible keycaps

Lastly, it's ... well, just look at it. No-nonsense attitude to style and simplicity.
Key features? MX compatible topre capacitive switches, Right angled gold plated micro USB connector for the keyboard, Rubber case, media keys and it's NOT made in china that's for sure.

Performance : The experience for me on this keyboard can only be described as "heavenly" It feels MUCH better than a brown (which we all know to be reds with sand thrown on it) because of the far heavier bump (An actually useful bump) but it it as well an entirely different feel all together due to the fact that MX switches feel "empty" compared to the Topres.
Otherwise, it is a really good feeling switch the topres.

Build quality : As expected from CM it is built well. The chassis is solid and has NO flex at all in every direction

Problems : There are a couple of problems, either it is because MX keys have longer key travel than topre keys OR CM has issues with their key travel. The reason for that is that when you use a key remover to try and pry a key out the keycap is pushed to the very bottom making it highly impossible to remove keycaps if at all.
I see the above problem as spoiling the point of this keyboard because this keyboard is about being the FIRST customizable topre (in terms of keycaps) but it takes so much effort to remove them.

So do I like it? Oh yes I do. I can live with the above problem (swap all the keycaps for just one time) to use it. That's how much I like it.
What about the TKL format? I much prefer it over the TK format because I don't need numpad. TK format is just extra unnecessary clutter

So here you go, the typing test
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 13:22:48 by YuukiHaruto »

Offline dante

I don't see Microcenter or Fry's stocking this - but if they did they're probably relieved to know that they keycaps are very difficult to take off.  Many boards on display seem to "lose" their keycaps if you know what I mean; consequently they are very hesitant to put them out.

What is the typing height/profile compared to your other keyboards?  About the same as a QFR?

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
Wow did they fix the font? And that looks like dyesub legends instead of laser etched infills. I might be wrong

Edit: I'm wrong :P Forgot you can't dyesub on darker base.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:44:50 by calvins1 »
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline YuukiHaruto

I don't see Microcenter or Fry's stocking this - but if they did they're probably relieved to know that they keycaps are very difficult to take off.  Many boards on display seem to "lose" their keycaps if you know what I mean; consequently they are very hesitant to put them out.

What is the typing height/profile compared to your other keyboards?  About the same as a QFR?
That's right. It is the same typing profile as my CM Storm MECH and my (sold) RK9000RE

Wow did they fix the font? And that looks like dyesub legends instead of laser etched infills. I might be wrong
I think these are laser etched infills ... at the very least they don't look like dye sub underneath
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 13:37:41 by YuukiHaruto »

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Problems : There are a couple of problems, either it is because MX keys have longer key travel than topre keys OR CM has issues with their key travel. The reason for that is that when you use a key remover to try and pry a key out the keycap is pushed to the very bottom making it highly impossible to remove keycaps if at all.

This won't be a problem if they opt to include Wire keycap pullers instead of the cheapo plastic ring pullers. Nice write up, I'm excited to try one out at my local computer shop. :)

Huh. You can't dyesub a lighter font on dark caps. It still looks like laser etched infills/pad printing. Only the LED caps (Caps, Scrl Lk) are laser etched backlit friendly caps.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
That one problem is hardly anything major.

When will it be released? Where can I get one?

Also, do you know if existing CM covers will work with it in replacement of the existing cover??

Offline YuukiHaruto

When will it be released? Where can I get one?

Also, do you know if existing CM covers will work with it in replacement of the existing cover??
It might work but I'm not sure. When I send this keyboard back tomorrow i'll give my verdict because I can take a QF-I case and compare. The micro-usb port is what worries me, it might be offset but it will probably fit

This won't be a problem if they opt to include Wire keycap pullers instead of the cheapo plastic ring pullers. Nice write up, I'm excited to try one out at my local computer shop. :)

Huh. You can't dyesub a lighter font on dark caps. It still looks like laser etched infills/pad printing. Only the LED caps (Caps, Scrl Lk) are laser etched backlit friendly caps.
I'll tell them to include wire keycap pullers instead. Meanwhile I'll buy myself a wire keycap puller  ;D

Offline intelli78

Indeed, anyone buying this for the keycaps is missing the point bigtime.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Sniping

I doubt these are dyesub keycaps, or even PBT for that matter.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
The problem with pulling out the key caps might not be so bad as long as you don't use the key remover that it comes with.

The hard plastic one can damage keys. Since there is a minimal amount of flex in the plastic key remover, it pushes the key all the way down before it snaps over the key.

I'm thinking that using a wire type key remover can alleviate the key removing issue since it is flexible.

It is more likely to get around the key without pushing down as hard or having to bottom the key out.

I guess CM won't include a key like that.

Offline YuukiHaruto

The problem with pulling out the key caps might not be so bad as long as you don't use the key remover that it comes with.

The hard plastic one can damage keys. Since there is a minimal amount of flex in the plastic key remover, it pushes the key all the way down before it snaps over the key.

I'm thinking that using a wire type key remover can alleviate the key removing issue since it is flexible.

It is more likely to get around the key without pushing down as hard or having to bottom the key out.

Most likely yeah, does filco include a wire puller? I'm not clear on the launch date but it should be soon.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:07:36 by YuukiHaruto »

Offline avtar

Re: CM Storm Novatouch Pre-Launch Showcase & First Impressions & Typing test
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:31:25 »
Key features? MX compatible topre capacitive switches, Right angled gold plated micro USB connector for the keyboard, Rubber case, media keys and it's NOT made in china that's for sure.

Well that's different. Where is it manufactured?

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1

Derp
I thought it looked different from usual CM caps cause they looked like a dirtier white
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:59:16 »

Well that's different. Where is it manufactured?
Taiwan or maybe unlikely japan.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 15:08:35 »
Could we get some pictures of the guts? PCB details please!

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter

Most likely yeah, does filco include a wire puller? I'm not clear on the launch date but it should be soon.

Filco usually comes with a wire puller.

You can also buy them separately at certain places.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 15:14:34 »
Matt3o had already posted it. since it's not mine I'm not taking it apart :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 17:15:52 »
Available in all countries - that sounds promising :)

It will be interesting to see how the prices compare across regions.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 17:46:12 »
Dont even think that matters. Enthusiasts are waiting for this board and we all know theyll switch the caps asap
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 21:56:17 »

Here's Matt3o's picture of the PCB.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 04:42:05 »
Show Image

Cooler Master's gaming division CM STORM is preparing to launch a new keyboard.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

"Oh no, not another keyboard again?!" Well this one is entirely radically new and different. That's why I'm here to give my First Impressions
I want to start of with why this keyboard is different.
Firstly, it will be the FIRST mass-manufactured and sold keyboard that can be found in every country and not just from elitekeyboards if you are in the states. (IIRC)
Secondly, it has compatibility with your Cherry MX-compatible keycaps
Show Image

Lastly, it's ... well, just look at it. No-nonsense attitude to style and simplicity.

Performance : The experience for me on this keyboard can only be described as "heavenly" It feels MUCH better than a brown (which we all know to be reds with sand thrown on it) because of the far heavier bump (An actually useful bump) but it it as well an entirely different feel all together due to the fact that MX switches feel "empty" compared to the Topres.
Otherwise, it is a really good feeling switch the topres.

Build quality : As expected from CM it is built well. The chassis is solid and has NO flex at all in every direction

I see the above problem as spoiling the point of this keyboard because this keyboard is about being the FIRST customizable topre (in terms of keycaps) but it takes so much effort to remove them.

So do I like it? Oh yes I do. I can live with the above problem (swap all the keycaps for just one time) to use it. That's how much I like it.
What about the TKL format? I much prefer it over the TK format because I don't need numpad. TK format is just extra unnecessary clutter

So here you go, the typing test
is this your first topre keyboard? If not, I want to know what you think about novatouch compare to other topre keyboards. by the way thanks for your review  :thumb:

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 06:51:40 »
is this your first topre keyboard? If not, I want to know what you think about novatouch compare to other topre keyboards. by the way thanks for your review  :thumb:
It is indeed my first topre keyboard. But I had used a Type heaven (the cheapo made in china topre) and i didn't like it at all.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 10:25:34 by YuukiHaruto »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 09:33:03 »
Did the whole OP REALLY need to get quoted just to ask him/her if that was their first topre board?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 10:25:55 »
Did the whole OP REALLY need to get quoted just to ask him/her if that was their first topre board?
It's a he  :p

Offline luckynet

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 11:21:42 »
most male asian hands looks like a girls hand. hihihi

Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter

You're just confused because his thumbs bend backwards.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:55:43 »

[Mod Edit: Language; this is a family friendly forum, please refrain from vulgar comments especially if they're off topic]
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 13:18:08 by ekw808 »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Build quality : As expected from CM it is built well.

Haha. You must not own very many CMs. At least with the QFR, when the solder joints fail you can just open it up and resolder it. When this thing fails it is probably going to be much harder to fix. Luckily you will probably be able to harvest the stems and get half the cost of the board back when it fails though.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★

Haha. You must not own very many CMs. At least with the QFR, when the solder joints fail you can just open it up and resolder it. When this thing fails it is probably going to be much harder to fix. Luckily you will probably be able to harvest the stems and get half the cost of the board back when it fails though.
I also thought it was funny when I read "As expected" but I guess to each his own.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 18:13:53 »

My thumbs bend backwards too!

Maybe I should get a Novatouch?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YuukiHaruto

I do own a lot of CMs. The CM Storm QFR (which i sold just a few months back) I now have the Trigger Z and the Ultimate (which i also sold) and also the MECH
It's only the XT which is the real minger.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 21:29:17 »

You must  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 22:39:45 »

You must  ;D

If only they were 55g - my 45g HHKB always feels a bit too light.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 23:58:10 »

You must  ;D

Coming from blues I don't mind the 45g at all. I love it over blues  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 01:31:13 »

You must  ;D

Blues are too light, I prefer greens :)

Reds are way too light, I prefer blacks.

45g HHKB is a bit too light, I'd like to try 55g Topre and I have a feeling that I would really like it.

Have you heard anything about a possible future 55g Novatouch?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 01:45:09 »

You must  ;D

45g HHKB is a bit too light, I'd like to try 55g Topre and I have a feeling that I would really like it.

You won't regret 55g Rowdy, I was also looking for something heavier and 55g did not disappoint, it's my favourite now.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 01:54:18 »

You must  ;D

Carter has mentioned the ideas of this being a larger line dependent on how well this performs for their bottom line.  Of course, if everything is to be believed as shown, I'd be shocked if the same 55g mod that's done to the hhkb can't be done to this.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 02:04:25 »
Carter has mentioned the ideas of this being a larger line dependent on how well this performs for their bottom line.  Of course, if everything is to be believed as shown, I'd be shocked if the same 55g mod that's done to the hhkb can't be done to this.

I doubt that will happen though, surely most people would rather swap the sliders into the 55g.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 04:25:19 »
If you look on deskthority you will find that CM Bram said that if the 45g sells well, 30g and 55g might be in the pipeline

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 05:40:09 »
If you look on deskthority you will find that CM Bram said that if the 45g sells well, 30g and 55g might be in the pipeline

Surprisingly many people seem to like lighter switches, including 30g Topre :eek:

Me, I think I'll wait for 55g.

I've kind of used up all my other half's patience with keyboards, so I can maybe only get one or two more.

At the moment those would be SSK and 55g Novatouch.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 14:25:57 »
Nice review! Too bad that it is clumsy to change the keycaps.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 14:42:32 »
Holy crap those sliders are sexy..

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 03:01:36 »
Holy crap those sliders are sexy..
There's a certain appeal to them  ;D
With the plastic keycap removers that is. The CM ones don't snap easily but they really damage thin keycaps  :-\

Offline blackbox

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 04:18:43 »
With the plastic keycap removers that is. The CM ones don't snap easily but they really damage thin keycaps  :-\
[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out. I have an CM keycap puller but I waiting to get my wire keycap puller.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline lunr

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 02:07:44 »
I'll be all over it if it was 55g.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 03:36:26 »
If 45g sells brilliantly, they will put 55g into production. If you guys do want the 55g please tell a CM rep  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 06:19:04 »
If 45g sells brilliantly, they will put 55g into production. If you guys do want the 55g please tell a CM rep  :p

CM reps please hear: WE WANT 55G!!! :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 08:37:54 »
I'd be shocked if the same 55g mod that's done to the hhkb can't be done to this.

Novatouch domes are all on one big chunk of rubber (contrary to all other Topres I have). Meaning that you can put 55g into it, but it might be difficult to reuse the original novatouch domes on other keyboards. I haven't tried myself, but I could give a quick shot on a realforce.

Of course you can always cut it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 09:23:44 »
i thought you had to cut the other realforce boards as well? odd.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 09:25:18 »
i thought you had to cut the other realforce boards as well? odd.

mine is in 6-7 chunks