Author Topic: My quick impression of MX reds  (Read 6936 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
My quick impression of MX reds
« on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:20:05 »
Too light

after using blacks and stock clears, reds are super light. When not thinking, I bottom out each time, and when I try to not bottom out, it hurts.

That said, for typing, its not efficient imo. I will edit after some gaming time and see how it is for gaming

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: My quick impression of MX reds
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:54:17 »
Same here - I liked blues, found reds nice and light, but then spent a few months using blacks, and then greens.

Now reds are waaay too light.

Blues are still tolerable though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:06:03 »
I am not a huge fan of reds, imo blacks are the best common cherry switch to me. I think something between reds and blacks would be pretty nice though, reds are just a tad too light.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:21:36 »
I am not a huge fan of reds, imo blacks are the best common cherry switch to me. I think something between reds and blacks would be pretty nice though, reds are just a tad too light.

+1

Blacks are still a bit too stiff for me, but reds....its frustrating after the experience of blacks. Something in between (maybe 65g) would be perfect for linears

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 06:08:46 »
Too light

after using blacks and stock clears, reds are super light. When not thinking, I bottom out each time, and when I try to not bottom out, it hurts.

That said, for typing, its not efficient imo. I will edit after some gaming time and see how it is for gaming

Personally, I think you're completely wrong.

I've only recently switched away from Reds to try out the new Razer orange switch but prior to that, I was using Reds for almost 2 years. Sure there is a bit of a learning curve at first and what not, but that's something that people need to get through if you want to use (imo) a superior switch.

I personally believe that MX Cherry Reds are the best gaming switch out there currently available to us depending on your preference.

Blacks - Too stiff, feel like ****. (No offence).
Blues - I could never go back to Blues ever again, I despise blues. Too loud, too clicky, not even sufficient for gaming anymore.
Browns - Great switch, feels a bit gritty when coming from Reds but a great switch none the less.
Reds - Perfect gaming switch, not the best for typing due to the lightness of the switch, but over time you get used to that in my opinion.

I've achieved over 125wpm using red switches, but at the end of the day, the best switch is whatever is best for the user and that's why there is no 'best' switch out there because it's all down to personal preference.
你搞砸了

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 08:46:41 »
I'm using reds now for gaming and typing and i bottom out all the time.

doesn't seem to be a problem for me though

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:28:15 »
If you can't learn to not bottom out reds or keep pressing them by accident, you probably have a serious issue with your motor skills.
If you feel like blacks are too stiff even after trying to adjust to them, you have weak fingers and it might be a sympom of a serious problem.

source: books&papers about research on optimal key mechanism

I wouldn't expect anyone not willing to adjust to a new switch at a keyboard enthusiast forum, but I do understand why many despise switches without any tactile/aural feedback in general.

Signed, someone who rotates MX Red, MX Brown, MX Black and MX Clear, all stock, after taking some time to learn to type on each of those switches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:31:24 by davkol »

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:09:54 »
If you can't learn to not bottom out reds or keep pressing them by accident, you probably have a serious issue with your motor skills.
If you feel like blacks are too stiff even after trying to adjust to them, you have weak fingers and it might be a sympom of a serious problem.

I wouldn't expect anyone not willing to adjust to a new switch at a keyboard enthusiast forum, but I do understand why many despise switches without any tactile/aural feedback in general.

Signed, someone who rotates MX Red, MX Brown, MX Black and MX Clear, all stock, after taking some time to learn to type on each of those switches.

So you don't bottom out at all?

and you just cause you don't bottom out on reds, everyone who does has serious motor issues? Even if they like to bottom out, or choose to bottom out???

So we need to press with a small enough force so we don't bottom out on reds but with sufficient force so we don't find blacks heavy?

Not sure where you're hitting at but this is what I'm getting.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:20:51 »
I knew someone would take it personally, although there's nothing to be taken personally.

So we need to press with a small enough force so we don't bottom out on reds but with sufficient force so we don't find blacks heavy?

Obviously, but you can't hit both kinds of switches with the same force then, of course.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:22:58 »
Duly noted.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:26:54 »
You might as well just start a Twitter review page

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:33:23 »

oh. i think my fingers are just weak, i find blacks to be too stiff. maybe it's just a symptom of cancer though!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 14:09:34 »
Never said it has to be easy. I had a grip ring with me all the time, when switching from reds to stock clears for the first time.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 19:22:24 »
I knew someone would take it personally, although there's nothing to be taken personally.

Obviously, but you can't hit both kinds of switches with the same force then, of course.

You didn't answer the rest lol. They weren't rhetorical.

Just trying to make sure you actually meant what you said in the post lol. nothing personal

Offline blingcaps

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 20:39:43 »
it seems that people who've tried/used heavier switches for any extended period of time can't go back to reds...

i used to enjoy reds, until i got a 660c, which is a heavier switch, described as somewhere between 45g and 55g.  now, the reds feel way too light and i don't really enjoy typing on them....  my browns still seem to be ok though.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 20:42:13 »
I still love my reds after using MX clears, greens, blacks, blues, browns and Topre 45g (HHKBP2/RF88u). MX red is a switch I'll always enjoy.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 20:43:49 »
I still love my reds after using MX clears, greens, blacks, blues, browns and Topre 45g (HHKBP2/RF88u). MX red is a switch I'll always enjoy.

do you touch type them or bottom out on them?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 20:48:09 »
I type without looking and I always bottom out. I don't really see the point of a metal case + thick keycaps if you don't bottom out, so I bottom out willingly. I don't want to change it or anything, the bottoming out feel and audible feedback is satisfying to me. I also game and reds are superb for just that.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 08:50:41 »
I type without looking and I always bottom out. I don't really see the point of a metal case + thick keycaps if you don't bottom out, so I bottom out willingly. I don't want to change it or anything, the bottoming out feel and audible feedback is satisfying to me. I also game and reds are superb for just that.

I'd like to know why a metal case + thick keycaps are meant for bottoming out? This is the first time i've seen someone relate those things to bottoming out besides aesthetic appeal

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 09:06:51 »
Different sound.

However, keycap thickness does affect switch feel/stiffness and upstroke sound as well.

Offline Altis

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 19:58:04 »
Just added a CM QFR with MX Reds to my collection. I have Blues and Browns already (BW and DAS). So far, I like them. I can certainly see how they could be considered too light, but I think they're decent for gaming. I have no interest in MX Blacks because I find that they're too heavy, and you can feel the weight increase as the spring progresses more noticeably.

I'm not sure if bottoming out is bad for your fingers... Perhaps if you're slamming them hard constantly. If you type normally, I don't think that it's any worse than a laptop keyboard, which bottom out each time and have a harsh enough 'bottom'.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 20:13:23 »
First day I had reds I was resting my hand reading a webpage and my screen started flashing and moving and going berserk. Turns out the weight of my hand had Tab held down. Ya thumbs up for games thumbs down for typing. 

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 22:00:02 »
Well, I like Reds.  Not as much as Topre, but I like them.  You pretty much have to bottom out on every keystroke with reds.  I can't imagine how you could not bottom out.  But it doesn't really matter, since you can type pretty fast on them anyway, even with bottoming out 100% of the time.  And if you're seriously gaming, you mash the hell out of you keys anyway, so it's not an issue in gaming either.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Pinder

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 04:57:32 »
i used to use blues on a razer blackwidow but the clicky sound was driving me crazy. After that i switched to blacks on a steelseries 6gv2, i love blacks :D (i bottom out blacks most of the time) i've tried to use blues again but i just can't, the keys are way too light for my now.
65g zealios ergodox infinity

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 05:10:46 »
I dont understand why people are so obsessed with not bottoming out. For me its part of the experience, I use 55g lubed blacks which are a tad bit lighter than reds. Also they are definitely the best switch for gaming after trying out all mx switches except whites/greens for a longer period of time. No tactile feedback always feels the best when mashing keys IME.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 07:34:27 »
I dont understand why people are so obsessed with not bottoming out. For me its part of the experience,

I agree with you. I don't think it's part of the experience. But i mean, people bottom out and people don't. Why make such a big fuss lol

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 05:19:04 »

Can you please provide references? I haven’t seen any research on this which was very convincing.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 04:49:47 »
Fell in love with Mx Red right from the start and never looked back.
Trade my Ducky Mini with Mx Brown for a G2Pro with Mx Clear and... Im not a big fan and going to try trading it for something with either Mx Black or Brown.

Not a big fan of tactile anything
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline aref

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 13:18:49 »
The reason I like MX Red switches is that I can write all day and my fingers never fatigue. However, I do make more errors with Red switches compared
to heavier switches I've used. It's a tradeoff for me, but one that I'm willing to accept for being able to type with no finger-strain for lengthy typing sessions.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 13:37:59 »

This is pretty much my experience. I had o-rings on them for a while and they were okay, but I hated the mushy feeling they had. Reds with no o-rings just feel and sound so incredibly crisp. I had some trouble mis-typing when I first started with my Filco with Reds, but now I type equally fast on it and my other boards.

Additionally, I love the feeling of going from Reds to my Model M and then back again.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline lakiozoon

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 13:44:35 »
Switching from stiffer switches makes me bottom out when i switch on my QFR with reds.

I prefer when i am able to type without bottoming out, i simply enjoy the feeling and it s far different than the one you get mashing the keys. But again, that's all personal preference, some people may enjoy the opposite.

For average typist (like me), reds are prone to errors but i find that they make me practice harder to be more precise.
I was frustrated at start, making lots of errors and whatnot, but eventually i managed to improve and now i really dig the switch.
They do require a fine sensitivity on your fingers, and offer a creamy feeling while typing. It requires some practice tho, but in my case it was rewarding.

Still, when i type on a heavier switch, play tennis or whatnot, i lose the sensitivity for a while and bottom out for some time when switching on reds.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 June 2014, 13:46:42 by lakiozoon »

Offline aref

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 22:47:25 »
I finally came to terms with MX Red switches and am typing more efficiently on them with increased accuracy, i.e., far less time backspacing to fix typos. I had to get the proper, for me, height adjustment or pitch of the keyboard. I settled on a 1/2" elevation under the F-key row with no additional elevation under the space-bar row. I have two MX Red keyboards: one has no o-rings, the other has red o-rings.

I use the quieted KB when typing after 11:00 p.m. I live in a condominium and I don't want my neighbors to hear my 'clattering' at two in the morning. However, my preference after using the same KBs with and without red o-rings is for the o-ring-free board. I love the sound or MX Red switches, even when I bottom out, which is the greater majority of the time. I vacillated between no o-rings and o-rings and keyboard elevation. But when I found it, the MX Reds became 'the' switch of choice for hours of comfortable typing.

I agree with the post above: if I play tennis or work out, I have a difficult time regaining the feel for these light switches. It takes hours or even a day before I'm again comfortable typing on MX Reds.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 June 2014, 22:50:41 by aref »

Offline EpicSNES

• how do i keyboard
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 04:45:43 »
I dont understand why people are so obsessed with not bottoming out. For me its part of the experience,

I agree with you. I don't think it's part of the experience. But i mean, people bottom out and people don't. Why make such a big fuss lol

this

Filco Tenkeyless mx blue

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 04:55:42 »
Meanwhile at a knife enthusiast forum...
i dont undestand why people are so obsessed with not cutting themselves. For me its part of the experience.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 July 2014, 04:57:37 by davkol »

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 16:51:27 »
Too light

Reds are the only MX switch that I can use comfortably, I cannot use any other MX switch, I think it's perfect, but obviously that's just me and my personal preference. Just trying to get used to Topre now! I think Reds are more of a gaming switch as opposed to a typing switch though, I do tend to make a lot more mistakes on my Red switch (when I used it) than on Browns/oranges or Topre.
你搞砸了

Offline ihatefirewalls

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:37:51 »
I don't find that switches make a big difference to me in terms of accuracy or speed since I'm a pretty deliberate and heavy-handed typist, and get about 130~ WPM sustained regardless of the type.

However, I bottom out on almost every keystroke and I prefer the lighter switches (blue/red/brown) for just that reason. The heavier the switch, the harder I have to press to bottom out and the more tiring it gets. Floating feels unnatural and unsatisfying outside of gaming.

I'd probably actually prefer switches with even softer springs than reds. I expected reds to be lighter when I first tried them, but since I bottom out there was pretty much no difference from blues.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 July 2014, 22:42:05 by ihatefirewalls »

Offline Dizon248

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 14:45:19 »
How do you NOT bottom out if you're typing at any decent WPM?