Author Topic: O-Rings of various thickness and softness [Group Buy]  (Read 61996 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
O-Rings of various thickness and softness [Group Buy]
« on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 20:42:11 »
[strike]DEADLINE: Sunday 01/15/12 11:59pm PST (time zone converter)[/strike][CLOSED][/SIZE]

Leftover sell thread here (>> CLICK <<)

I bought some O-rings for myself and sold off the extra ones I had. There were only enough for 6 people in my sell thread, so this time I'll do a mass order available to everyone interested. And this time, there will be more assortments of different sizes and softness.

Some people hate key noise, some love it. some hate the key travel reduction, others buy O-rings just for that. With so many variations on specific needs, I'll be getting many different ones. Here's what's available and a short description of its practical usage:

• base price is for tenkeyless 90 count pack, includes shipping within the US
  • add $2 to base price for full size 105 count pack
  • add $4 to base price for extras, 120 count pack
  • add $1 to base price for international shipping
[/SIZE]

pack A: optimal noise dampening, small key travel reduction $9
40A, 3/16 ID, 5/16 OD, 1/16 W

pack B: less noise dampening but more crisps bottom-out, small key travel reduction $13
50A, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" W

pack C: optimal noise dampening, fair amount of key travel reduction $13
40A, 5mm ID, 2mm W

pack D: some noise dampening, negligible key travel reduction $13
40A, 5mm ID, 1mm W

pack E: nearly no bottom-out noise, max key travel reduction $20
40A, 3/16 ID, 3/8 OD, 3/32 W

pack F: hard bottom-out, small key travel reduction $4
70A, 3/16 ID, 5/16 OD, 1/16 W

pack G: hard bottom-out, max key travel reduction $4
70A, 3/16 ID, 3/8 OD, 3/32 W

pack H: softest bottom-out but might feel mushy, small key travel reduction $16
30A, 5mm ID, 1.5mm W

* add $1 to any pack to include "sample pack": one of each O-ring from every pack, that way you can try out how all the O-rings feel without having to buy all the packs*

NOTE: Price above include shipping from the company to me, and from me to you. So far those are the prices but it's subject to go slightly up or down, depending on quantity. shipping will be from the US in a standard envelope, it takes about 1-3 days if you're also in the US, and a little longer for international. Add an extra $1 if you're international to help cover additional shipping and associated fees. I prefer payment in paypal or amazon payment. I will add more info to this OP when it comes up

My personal review and what I thought of my first O-rings:
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:25612

payment instructions: If you want to send money via amazon payment, PM me. Otherwise, send to my paypal address whitefiredragon1@hotmail.com. Please cover paypal fees (3% + $0.30), unless you send as "gift" payment. Include in the paypal note:

• forum name
  • which pack (A, B, C, etc.), quantity
  • pack size (90, 105, 120)
  • shipping address
[/SIZE]

[video=youtube_share;RJg2vDsysbA]http://youtu.be/RJg2vDsysbA[/video]

List of people participating, let me know if you change your mind before I make the order:

-[strike]sethk[/strike] (no reply)
-[strike]lootbag[/strike]
-JesuswasaZombie (paid)(shipped)
-transcend3nt (paid)(shipped)
-[strike]TheProfosist[/strike]
-Loligagger (paid)(shipped)
-o2dazone (paid)(shipped)
-duchat (paid)(shipped)
-AtL (paid)(shipped)
-trax (covered)
-sordna (paid)(shipped)
-artee (paid)(shipped)
-jonnybastard (paid)(shipped)
-aoya (paid)(shipped)
-ViciousXUSMC (paid)(shipped)
-emptyk (paid)(shipped)
-[strike]genzeleam (paid)[/strike]
-nerfredux (paid)(shipped)
-elbandito (paid)(shipped)
-harrison (paid)(shipped)
-FusRoDah (paid)
-[strike]memish[/strike] (no reply)
-resis (paid)(shipped)
-timsbleung (paid)(shipped)
-jinzo.pk3 (paid)(shipped)
-Vornath (paid)(shipped)
-Razer1987 (paid)(shipped)
-Gus.s (paid)(shipped)
-OkGold (paid)(shipped)
-jellowiggler (paid)(shipped)
-badascii (paid)(shipped)
-F u r u y á (paid)(shipped)
-443330 (paid)(shipped)
-bastii (paid)(shipped)
-Glockateer (paid)(shipped)
-snarlingchicken (paid)(shipped)
-CanadaRox (paid)(shipped)
-lyk503 (paid)(shipped)
-Ciardhubh (paid)(shipped)
-nqwan (paid)(shipped)
-Gualichu04 (paid)(shipped)
-cix (paid)(shipped)
-catcherintherye (paid)(shipped)
-metafour (paid)(shipped)
-Changdrew (paid)(shipped)
-devouringone3 (paid)(shipped)
-Elrick (paid)(shipped)
-Kokin (paid)(shipped)
-Disposable Hero (paid)(shipped)
-balanar (paid)(shipped)
-Gascogne (paid)(shipped)
-gizmo (paid)(shipped)
-thegunner100 (paid)(shipped)
-akwok (paid)(shipped)
-FKSSR (paid)(shipped)
-JSchool (paid)(shipped)
-hasu (paid)(shipped)
-elton5354 (paid)(shipped)
-LFF (paid)(shipped)
-Moistened (paid)(shipped)
-sordna (paid)(shipped)
-dirge (paid)(shipped)
-metafour (paid)(shipped)
-megnin (paid)(shipped)
-m_enanos (paid)(shipped)
-Gus.s (paid)(shipped)

UPDATE 01/09/12: got complete price quotes
UPDATE 01/10/12: accepting payments
UPDATE 01/13/12: half of the order placed, other half will be placed on monday
UPDATE 01/17/12: order processed, production begins
UPDATE 01/20/12: received half of the shipment, distributing packs A, E, F, G, the rest has an ETA of 2-3 weeks
UPDATE 01/27/12: received shipment for packs B, C, and the rest of E.
UPDATE 02/22/12: received the rest of the shipment (pack D and H), remaining orders and sample packs will be shipped out in the next couple days.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 March 2012, 23:11:38 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 21:36:13 »
this might be helpful to know:

ID = inner diameter
OD = outer diamter
W = width or thickness

1/32" = 0.79mm
1/16" = 1.59mm
5/64" = 1.98mm
3/32" = 2.38mm
3/16" = 4.76mm
5/16" = 7.94mm
3/8" = 9.53mm

TBD = to be determined

if you can't decide which pack to get, then go with either pack A or B, as they dampen noise and reduce a tiny bit of key travel. the largest "fat" O-rings (pack E or G) is the max thickness you can get without interfering with the actuation point. On my MX blues, they bottom out just after the actuation click. i have tested may times and they never bottom out before the actuation point under any circumstance. when i used double small ones, they also bottom out just at the actuation point it seems, so if you press softly enough, there might be a rare case where the key might not register.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2012, 21:51:02 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline sordna

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 21:38:46 »
I could be wrong, but 1/32" has probably no effect on most keycaps. I would replace it with metric 1mm or 1.5mm in width, and 5mm in ID.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sordna

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 00:38:03 »
Why do you have TBD on some of the OD ? If you know an o-ring's ID and CS (what you call W) the OD is calculated as: 2*CS + ID. The other way to put it, you don't need OD, only ID and CS are important :-)

By the way, pack D at 1/32 thickness and 3/16 ID is a non-standard size. I suspect that the (close enough) metric 1mm thickness and 5mm ID might be better and perhaps even cheaper.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Ciardhubh

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 05:31:05 »
How many rings are there in a pack? 104, 105, some spare in case you break some or for exchangable keys?

Offline nerfredux

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 06:19:40 »
Which ones are the same as wasdkeyboard's 40A durameter dampeners?
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories-2/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

Loved the first set I bought from them, wouldn't mind another.

Offline mehkat1974

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 16:48:45 »
These two guys just asked my two questions :)
HHKB Type-S / KBC Poker with reds

Offline artee

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 17:22:58 »
same here!

Offline trax

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 17:49:41 »
pack A + pack D
Switches tried so far
Cherry MX Red Blue Black Clear
ALPS White Black (fake)Blue
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 19:26:47 »
pack H was just added as another option, credit goes to sordna

Quote from: sordna;483615
Why do you have TBD on some of the OD ? If you know an o-ring's ID and CS (what you call W) the OD is calculated as: 2*CS + ID. The other way to put it, you don't need OD, only ID and CS are important :-)

By the way, pack D at 1/32 thickness and 3/16 ID is a non-standard size. I suspect that the (close enough) metric 1mm thickness and 5mm ID might be better and perhaps even cheaper.
they said it can be any size, but i guess you're right, OD doesn't really matter so i didn't calculate it myself to put in the thread. although if i wanted it more like a washer, it can have a large OD with small thickness. i'll change pack C and D to metric

Quote from: Ciardhubh;483718
How many rings are there in a pack? 104, 105, some spare in case you break some or for exchangable keys?
the first few people had packs of 105 pieces, which i figured should be enough for the full size 104 keys with extra O-ring to spare. it's more than enough for TKL. do you guys want packs of 120 instead? it might increase the price by a few cents to a dollar max

Quote from: nerfredux;483725
Which ones are the same as wasdkeyboard's 40A durameter dampeners?
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories-2/cherry-mx-rubber-switch-dampeners.html

Loved the first set I bought from them, wouldn't mind another.
wasdkeyboard's 40A is pack A
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2012, 21:42:20 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline sordna

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 20:45:54 »
Sign me up for Pack D + Pack H + sample pack (as long as the set doesn't exceed $30).

Btw o-rings are always round. If you want it like a washer, get rubber washers! I got a couple washers as sample from somewhere, I think the material in these ones was neoprene and durometer was 40 or 50, you can see it in the below pic, one by itself, and one stacked under an o-ring within a Kinesis keycap.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 36671[/ATTACH]

Offline artee

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 01:27:35 »
I would like to get 2 packs A, 120 pcs each, if possible

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 09:20:11 »
Hey, I'll please grab a pack of A and a pack of B with a sample pack to go with, will also require international post, cheers!
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline transcend3nt

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 10:34:13 »
Hi there,

Would like Pack H (please let me know pricing first!!) + Sample pack - international shipping

One question is that after the first batch of orders go out, is it possible to re-order again? Since you say that this is a one-off thing.

Offline aoya

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 11:52:25 »
Do you know the noise difference between pack A and pack D? They seem to be same softness, so not sure how much difference it makes.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 13:19:53 »
i updated the list of people that want o-rings. i'm still in the process of ironing out details on all the packs with the manufacturer. it takes a while with so many options, and especially since the representative doesn't answer back right away.

Quote from: transcend3nt;484683
One question is that after the first batch of orders go out, is it possible to re-order again? Since you say that this is a one-off thing.
yes, i can do a round 2 after this first one. what do you mean by "one-off"?

Quote from: aoya;484763
Do you know the noise difference between pack A and pack D? They seem to be same softness, so not sure how much difference it makes.
ideally, they should have the same noise and dampening characteristics, but since differ in thickness, the thinner ones might not dampen as much. i personally have not tried the pack D yet, so i can't give a definite comparison. pack A and D should be the same noise dampening, but D is for those that don't want the key travel to be affected. hope that helps

Offline AtL

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 17:16:17 »
Is it easy to put the keycaps on with the pack E? You may have to press it quite hard?
Are your keys the same height as keys without o-ring?
KBC Poker

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 19:09:26 »
Quote from: AtL;484971
Is it easy to put the keycaps on with the pack E? You may have to press it quite hard?
Are your keys the same height as keys without o-ring?

pack E are the thickest ones, but it still goes on pretty easy because the rubber is pretty stretchy. you can slip them on with your fingers, but i use non-fine tweezers. it takes a second or two for each key.

Offline ViciousXUSMC

• http://www.ViciousComputers.com
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 20:21:21 »
I have ordered 50A from MCMasterCar feels good but would like to try out the 40A you have in Pack A, also want to test out the shorter distance with Pack G.

Would love to try Pack E but that is kinda expensive O.o..

So put me in for an A & G

Offline transcend3nt

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 January 2012, 23:33:03 »
my bad, i thought you were only doing one round. since that's the case, can i just get 1x sample pack first and i'll decide which one to get for round 2. the choices you have are crazy !!!

Offline AtL

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 02:15:34 »
So you mean that your keys on your keyboard are the same height with pack E as keys without o-ring?
KBC Poker

Offline trax

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 18:40:01 »
5mm ID is the biggest you can get?
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline sordna

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 20:03:07 »
Quote from: AtL;485213
So you mean that your keys on your keyboard are the same height with pack E as keys without o-ring?

o-rings don't change the height of the keys.

Quote from: trax;485607

The keycaps stems are 5.5mm so 5mm ID is ideal. Anything bigger might slip off too easily. Besides, the well-tested -008 o-rings have an ID of 4.75 or so, and they work fine.

Offline nerfredux

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 03:05:06 »
Can you put me down for:

- Pack A
- Sample Pack
- International shipping

Thanks mate.

Offline trax

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 03:48:30 »
Quote from: sordna;485640

The keycaps stems are 5.5mm so 5mm ID is ideal. Anything bigger might slip off too easily. Besides, the well-tested -008 o-rings have an ID of 4.75 or so, and they work fine.
Im going to use it on ALPS.
Switches tried so far
Montereys
ACER
White Black
Futaba
Buckling Sprin

Offline AtL

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 07:09:12 »
Quote from: sordna;485640

It can but he's on doubleshot : http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1417&hilit=o+ring
KBC Poker

Offline sordna

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 12:11:04 »
Quote from: trax;485863
Im going to use it on ALPS.

No idea about o-rings on ALPS.

Quote from: AtL;485913
It can but he's on doubleshot : http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1417&hilit=o+ring

Interesting. But on the keys that sit higher he said he installed them with low pressure. You have to push the key down hard so it seats properly. And he is using thick (2mm) o-rings. Anyway, I haven't tried thick o-rings but I can tell you that the regular or thin o-rings, installed with proper pressure, do not change the height of the keycaps.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 17:52:19 »
Quote from: transcend3nt;485165
my bad, i thought you were only doing one round. since that's the case, can i just get 1x sample pack first and i'll decide which one to get for round 2. the choices you have are crazy !!!
i'm only going to offer the "sample" pack if you get it along with another pack. The reason is because at only $1, i'll be losing my own money doing this. i have to take into account shipping costs to me, shipping to you, and actual cost of the O-rings, which will put me into the negatives. the normal packs already have these costs factored in, so that's why i can offer sample packs for only $1 if you get them with the at least 1 normal pack.

Quote from: AtL;485213
sorry, i forgot to answer this part of your question when you first asked. the key itself is the same height with or without the O-rings, even with the largest O-rings. it only shortens the bottom-out distance and reduces key travel. basically, with two keys side by side, one with the o-ring and one without, you can't tell which one has the o-ring unless you press on the key. i also put these fat O-rings on my sc2 doubleshot keys and it did not raise the key's height on the keyboard.

Quote from: trax;485607
for now, 5mm ID is the biggest, although i could ask the company again, but i'm not sure if i want to go through the hassle dealing with a new quote that will delay the whole order. i'm assuming you're asking this in regards to my post on O-rings and ALPS switches?

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?25789-O-rings-thingy-for-ALPS&p=485508&viewfull=1#post485508

Offline sordna

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 18:02:15 »
For larger o-rings for ALPS check this post, this thread is focused on Cherry MX which need an ID anywhere between 4.7 - 5.2mm
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 January 2012, 18:44:05 by sordna »

Offline memish

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 09:43:08 »
Pack B with sample packet please.

Where are you from?

Offline transcend3nt

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 11:24:38 »
^ bump

in that case, pack H (please let me know price before ordering, i might change to pack a/b if the price is too steep) + sample pack please!

thank you so much for the hard work

Offline resis

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 12:38:30 »
Hello,

is pack H in comparison to pack E more silent? And is pack E much more silent than pack A? When do we get more information on pack H?

I have a backlit keyboard (Ducky Shine), will a O-ring affect the light, since the inner of the key cap (stem, etc) is translucent? I guess there are no transparent O-rings and I guess a slimmer ring (pack A) is best to not absorb to much of the light, no?

How many rings are in one pack exactly?

Offline Tarkoon

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 12:49:37 »
Did I miss something or did nobody ask till now what material these rings are made of?
There are big differences between the rubber variants...

Offline sordna

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 13:17:43 »
Quote from: Tarkoon;486691
Did I miss something or did nobody ask till now what material these rings are made of?

Silicone.

They don't matter much in this application. The durometer is the main characteristic we care about. Different materials matter when you expose your o-rings to different kinds of chemicals, extreme temperatures, or high forces; for typing there are no fluids or chemicals involved and the forces are tiny compare to what o-rings normally have to endure!

Offline Tarkoon

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 15:59:44 »
In this application one characteristic does matter:
I don't know the english word for it, but I once had a cheap o-ring that was damaged a little bit, each time you pressed a key hard, because this plastic cross in the keycaps cuts the ring...
Some materials can handle this "cutting" stress better than others. Some of these cheap rings were cut through after about 2 weeks of hard use.
I hope my english was good enough that you understand what I mean...

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 19:51:36 »
UPDATE: just got off the phone with the company. i feel a little price raped because they increased the price on me. you can tell because all the newer pack options i added cost more. i tried to deal with the company, but they're firm on prices in the quantities that i'm going to order. again, i did not arbitrarily set these prices myself, it's the quote that i got. the OP has been updated with the prices.

Offline resis

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 21:08:06 »
How much time do we have to decide which pack to take?

Offline sordna

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 09 January 2012, 21:10:45 »
Quote from: Tarkoon;486824
I don't know the english word for it, but I once had a cheap o-ring that was damaged a little bit, each time you pressed a key hard, because this plastic cross in the keycaps cuts the ring...
Some materials can handle this "cutting" stress better than others. Some of these cheap rings were cut through after about 2 weeks of hard use.

Yes, I get it. That happened to me too when I tried dental bands. FWIW I have silicone "rust" color o-rings, which are almost certainly identical to the ones sold here, and they hold up really well, I even chewed one as a test and it survived fine! I have a set of these on one of my most heavily used Advantage LF since April and they are perfect after 8 months of daily use.

Offline artee

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 02:57:51 »
So I would take 2x pack A -- 90 and 120 pcs. International shipping

Offline timsbleung

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 06:27:31 »
Interested in a pack A 105 with a sample pack

ConUS

Should I PM you with shipping/payment details or?

Offline jinzo.pk3

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 07:37:11 »
pack A 105
pack E 105
sample pack
international

Offline AtL

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 08:51:48 »
I've just tried to stack 2 o-rings 40d from wasd keyboard to know what to expect of pack E.

You have to push the key down quite hard in order to seat it properly but it's not really a big deal.
The double o-rings height is about 3mm and it still actuates the key 90% of time. The key's height itself is preserved (I use non double-shot keycaps). There is zero travel course, you actuate the key as you bottom out.

Pack E with 2.4mm should be the perfect way to mod your mecha into a scissor-switch type.
Can't wait :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 January 2012, 09:04:17 by AtL »
KBC Poker

Offline Vornath

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 13:41:58 »
6 x Pack A 105

USA shipping

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 14:33:09 »
UPDATE: i'm now taking payment, i updated the OP with payment instructions but i'll be PMing everyone the same info in case you don't follow this thread.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 January 2012, 14:47:36 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 January 2012, 17:02:30 »
finally get a chance to answer questions:

Quote from: memish;486579
Where are you from?
i posted it in the OP, i'm from the US, california to be more specific

Quote from: resis;486688
Hello,

is pack H in comparison to pack E more silent? And is pack E much more silent than pack A? When do we get more information on pack H?

I have a backlit keyboard (Ducky Shine), will a O-ring affect the light, since the inner of the key cap (stem, etc) is translucent? I guess there are no transparent O-rings and I guess a slimmer ring (pack A) is best to not absorb to much of the light, no?

How many rings are in one pack exactly?
H and E should have nearly the same dampening and noise reduction since one is thicker but harder, and the other is softer and thinner. main difference between these is the bottom-out softness. E and A has almost the same dampening, although to me i feels like E does a little better job since it's thicker. but the main difference between these two are the bottom-out distances.

i have no idea how o-rings will affect the LEDs from a ducky shine, you'll just have to find out and maybe post back the results so we know.

i updated differnt O-ring pack count in the OP a few days ago if u didn't notice

Quote from: Tarkoon;486691
pack A, E, and H will be silicone, everything else is EPDM. silicone cost slightly more than EPDM, but it's available sooner for this group buy

Quote from: Tarkoon;486824
these O-rings are pretty soft, so it has a high flexibility. it'll be harder to "cut" these because it has so much flex. the only instance i can see keycaps ever "cut" all the way through the O-rings would be if the o-ring material is cheap and brittle, which can't bend or flex much. in keyboard application around the 40-70 durometer, material does not matter much because these O-rings won't go through extremes of stress, temperature, or chemicals to matter much.

i pinched these O-rings with my nails as hard as i could, it did not tear or make any marks. HERE is a picture of two different silicone O-rings stretching more than twice its size to fit on a ALPS switch. u can see how much it can stretch without tearing.

Quote from: resis;486981
How much time do we have to decide which pack to take?
a few days, then i'm going to make the order. this is a quick group buy, unlike keycap orders that takes months.

Quote from: AtL;487242
I've just tried to stack 2 o-rings 40d from wasd keyboard to know what to expect of pack E.

You have to push the key down quite hard in order to seat it properly but it's not really a big deal.
The double o-rings height is about 3mm and it still actuates the key 90% of time. The key's height itself is preserved (I use non double-shot keycaps). There is zero travel course, you actuate the key as you bottom out.

Pack E with 2.4mm should be the perfect way to mod your mecha into a scissor-switch type.
Can't wait :)
i pretty much saw the same thing as you, in post #2 of this thread. basiaclly with one fat thick O-ring (E), it bottoms out just after the actuation point, but double O-rings in pack A actuates right at the bottom-out point, which on rare cases might not actuate the keys. that's why i listed pack E as the max thickness you can have, double small O-rings might be too thick. it really depends on the keycaps though. this was tested on PBT keycaps on a filco
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 January 2012, 17:04:36 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline genzeleam

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 00:47:44 »
My first Geekhack purchase, woo! :clap2:

Edit:
1x pack E - 105 count
1x Sample
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2012, 04:37:21 by genzeleam »

Offline Gus.s

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 01:46:20 »
put me in for pack a + sample pack. when will this group buy conclude?

Offline OkGold

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 02:26:16 »
Hey!

any chance I could still get in on this? what a great deal, I can pay instantly

I'd like an A (90) + G (90) + SAMPLE + INT. shipping please!

Offline jellowiggler

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 03:16:53 »
1 x package A 120
1 x package A 90
1 x sample pack
1 x international ship

$24 correct?
Mike -jellowiggler-
Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless / Rosewill RK-9000 / IBM Model M 1391401 / Logitech DiNovo Edge / MS Sidewinder X4

Offline Razer1987

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 04:30:53 »
Hi, I send the payment via paypal for

2 pack A TKL
+ sample
+ international shipping

= 20 US dollars

Thank you