Author Topic: Gaming: WASD vs. ESDF?  (Read 64221 times)

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

Gaming: WASD vs. ESDF?
« on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 22:25:36 »
I'm assuming most poeple here uses WASD when gaming. Anyone use ESDF?

There are many articles online talking about and explaining how ESDF is more efficient in gaming, due to the extra keys on the left side.
Like with QWERTY and DVORAK, most of the gaming population has not made the switch.

What's your opinion on the matter? What do you use?

Post pics of your gaming keys  :thumb:

WASD vs. ESDF efficiency pic:

QFR Mx Reds

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Gaming: WASD vs. ESDF?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 02:49:00 »
I used to use WASD, but as the games I played required more keys I made the switch to ESDF.

It's also where the fingers are for touch-typing, so it's easier to switch from movement to chat and back.

I currently use a custom ergo board with thumb keys. Even better for gaming, since now I can press Shift, Alt, Backspace and Layer keys with my thumb without moving my other fingers (pinkie especially appreciates this). The Layer key gives me access to a whole new set of keybinds, too.  ;D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 04:04:35 »
I've been using WASD for so long I would be seriously handicapped if I had to offset my hand to use ESDF.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 07:08:39 »
Back in the day before I got old I greatly preferred ESDF, of course that was playing Quake 3, the original half life, counter strike etc, etc

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 07:21:24 »
Not really relevant to your question but I can only game on gamepads (nostromo/orbweaver) been using a nostromo so long I can't adapt to a keyboard layout for gaming due to the vertical thumb buttons and dpad. How do you melee in fps on a keyboard? I could never remember where I mapped that button, on my orbweaver I just flick that little joystick in a panic and it melees. Also I'm terribly afraid of only shining my WASD keys, but that's just because I'm a neurotic  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 January 2014, 07:23:15 by HipsterPunks »
sell out and eat ass

Offline osi

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 07:25:30 »
My gaming setup is centered around the "," and "." keys -- those being my left and right strafe respectively. Whichever works out and feels more comfortable for you.

51298-0

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 08:12:03 »
I use ESDF. Always have. The nub on the F is helpful if you have to reorient yourself without looking down and I like the extra keys.

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 08:34:55 »
Back in the day before I got old I greatly preferred ESDF, of course that was playing Quake 3, the original half life, counter strike etc, etc

a buddy of mine has been using a really wacky control scheme since quake 3, when he and a friend of his tried to make the most efficient setup for the game.
i'd have to ask him what everything was, but it was along the lines of:

move forward- left mouse
move backwards - right mouse
strafe left - z
strafe right - x
shoot - shift
ads - a (or in the area)

He still plays with it, and can fight decently in BF4 and other modern shooters.
ill ask him for the full control list. the way its setup his fingers must be on fire.

quake 3 reminded me of this
QFR Mx Reds

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 08:40:37 »
I've been using WASD for so long I would be seriously handicapped if I had to offset my hand to use ESDF.

that's what i'm feeling right now, I'm trying to make the switch, but the small adjustment of only one key over is really screwing me up

I just wish I could use it without having to go through the process of getting used to it.
There's some saying or something about going to heaven but not earning it that applies here.  :thumb:
QFR Mx Reds

Offline osi

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 08:41:49 »

that's what i'm feeling right now, I'm trying to make the switch, but the small adjustment of only one key over is really screwing me up

I just wish I could use it without having to go through the process of getting used to it.
There's some saying or something about going to heaven but not earning it that applies here.  :thumb:

Why are you making the switch from WASD to ESDF? What advantages would it provide you?

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 08:47:45 »

Why are you making the switch from WASD to ESDF? What advantages would it provide you?

it gives more buttons that can be pressed. centering the movement opens up the left some. now that I think about it, i dont really need the extra buttons, but the thought of more a more efficient setup mesmerizes me.

then again, like you said, its all about what you're used to, and i'm extremely comfortable on wasd. i'm not planning on fully switching over, as I can play excellently on wasd, but I was just experimenting really
QFR Mx Reds

Offline osi

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 08:49:28 »

it gives more buttons that can be pressed. centering the movement opens up the left some. now that I think about it, i dont really need the extra buttons, but the thought of more a more efficient setup mesmerizes me.

then again, like you said, its all about what you're used to, and i'm extremely comfortable on wasd. i'm not planning on fully switching over, as I can play excellently on wasd, but I was just experimenting really

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing and welcome to geekhack!  :thumb:

Offline oNinjaDispatcho

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 09:26:26 »

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing and welcome to geekhack!  :thumb:

Thanks! Glad to finally be a part of the community.  :)
QFR Mx Reds

Offline moonexe

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 12:44:55 »
I find it hard enough to reach ctrl with my pinky for games that require it... No way I'm gonna move my hand even further from it. :eek:

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline Lanx

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 12:50:23 »
i always use numpad. i game on my nostromo, if i "want to" i can game on my kinesis as well, for that i use ESDF, cuz of the way the keywells are made, pretty impossible to use WASD on a kinesis. (it's weird)

Offline nomaded

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 02:15:17 »
I find it hard enough to reach ctrl with my pinky for games that require it... No way I'm gonna move my hand even further from it. :eek:

Since most games assume WASD will be used, all the key controls will need to be remapped. At that point, you'll want to remap the control key to something that is more easily reachable.

I don't exactly use ESDF, since I've remapped my keyboard to Dvorak, but that's where I position my fingers.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 02:26:38 »
Interesting, never heard of using ESDF instead of the WASD cluster.

Just placing my fingers on ESDF, I can already see it becoming a problem when I need to reach for Control and #1. It feels unatural having to shift my hand/stetch my finger to reach those keys. I do appreciate the extra keys that show up though..
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Daniel

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 10:43:28 »
a buddy of mine has been using a really wacky control scheme since quake 3, when he and a friend of his tried to make the most efficient setup for the game.

move forward- left mouse
strafe left - z
strafe right - x
shoot - shift
ads - a (or in the area)

I just use WASD but I'd consider ESDF if I needed more keys around the main movement keys.

One of my main issues with FPS games is finding a good PTT button. I currently use Z but it requires letting go of A (Left ring finger).
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2014, 10:45:02 by Daniel »

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 12:22:29 »

move forward- left mouse
strafe left - z
strafe right - x
shoot - shift
ads - a (or in the area)

Show Image

I just use WASD but I'd consider ESDF if I needed more keys around the main movement keys.

One of my main issues with FPS games is finding a good PTT button. I currently use Z but it requires letting go of A (Left ring finger).

I've always used the back button on my mouse for PTT. Easy button to press with your thumb while gaming without having to let go of any button while gaming.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Daniel

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 12:48:04 »

I've always used the back button on my mouse for PTT. Easy button to press with your thumb while gaming without having to let go of any button while gaming.

But if you're ADS and shooting and at a moment when accuracy is vital, that isn't optimal, which is why I gave up completely on the mouse as a solution for that.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 13:03:51 »
Well, I think ESDF is obviously a better choice, but like others have said, I have nearly 15 years of gaming inertia to keep me using WASD.  I am too old to learn new ways, and I will continue to use the WASD.  But you younger guys should make the switch to ESDF before you get stuck in your ways like me.  The other problem with using ESDF is that you have to remap the keys for every game, which is a PITA, because I'm lazy and have low impulse control, and I want to just start playing the game immediately .  In fact, I find that usually I will just use the default setup and never change it.  I guess I have become beaten down by the game makers.   Using the default keymap, of course, screws me up when I switch games, 'cuz sometimes "E" is for activate, sometimes it's "F".  Sometimes "G" holsters your weapon, sometimes it's "H".  Sometimes "Q" is lean, or sometimes it's switch weapons, or sometimes it does nothing, but sometimes it's drop weapon!  That's a fun one.  Drop your weapon with Q.  Who thinks of these things?  Anyway, don't be like me.  Do it the right way.  Remap you keys to something rational and better, like ESDF.   
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 15:33:23 »
Well, I think ESDF is obviously a better choice, but like others have said, I have nearly 15 years of gaming inertia to keep me using WASD.  I am too old to learn new ways, and I will continue to use the WASD.  But you younger guys should make the switch to ESDF before you get stuck in your ways like me.  The other problem with using ESDF is that you have to remap the keys for every game, which is a PITA, because I'm lazy and have low impulse control, and I want to just start playing the game immediately .  In fact, I find that usually I will just use the default setup and never change it.  I guess I have become beaten down by the game makers.   Using the default keymap, of course, screws me up when I switch games, 'cuz sometimes "E" is for activate, sometimes it's "F".  Sometimes "G" holsters your weapon, sometimes it's "H".  Sometimes "Q" is lean, or sometimes it's switch weapons, or sometimes it does nothing, but sometimes it's drop weapon!  That's a fun one.  Drop your weapon with Q.  Who thinks of these things?  Anyway, don't be like me.  Do it the right way.  Remap you keys to something rational and better, like ESDF.
It's never too late :D.

Remapping isn't really that big a deal. For every game you have to learn the keys in the first place (and I'm usually not satisfied with them and remap anyway). You can also just set up a layer lock where esdf is wasd (and so forth) and build off that instead of doing it separately for every game. I think the best way to do it is to setup the same scheme for every game. Switching for every game is what is really a pain.
QWERTY(104wpm) -> CarpalxQ(modded) -> Colemak(118wpm) -> Colemak-DH
Mouse less.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 19:09:30 »
WASD for me. I used ESDF for a while-- was forced into it by the design of a particular 2KRO keyboard-- but still find WASD to be better, because the lower number of available keys is more than counterbalanced by the easier positioning of using the first keyset from the edge.

It's also more widely used than ESDF, and closer to keys commonly used by other kinds of games, so you're less likely to run into trouble if you want to play a game that doesn't support key rebinding (and no, rebinding through out-of-game means really doesn't work, because it's way too annoying to have to switch things around all the time, especially if you're typing for in-game chat), or where you really want to use certain keys (I can't start with "2" rather than "1" for hotkeys in RTS, for instance, just because "2" is "2", two, second, NOT FIRST, you see? Because numbers are themselves, there's no possibility of changing which keys are used, despite the possibility for inconvenient hand position).
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Tezkat

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 12:42:39 »
I guess I'm an oddball: I use WERD whenever possible. On ergo keyboards that already stagger the keys a bit to fit the shape of your hand, that's by far the most comfortable, especially given that you'll be moving forward far more often than back.

Offline Comment

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 13:51:42 »
I'm not a fan of using the ESDF as I don't like how far it is away from the modifiers.
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 19:52:22 »
I've been using esdf for years. I press control with the palm of my hands. Remapping is annoying but worth it.

Offline Comment

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 20:13:35 »
I've been using esdf for years. I press control with the palm of my hands. Remapping is annoying but worth it.
How do you not fat finger other keys with your whole palm?

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 00:08:42 »
In actual fact it is more of a flex or wrist roll. With my left hand on the home keys, the bottom edge of the control key nestles into the crease of my hand. I don't know the right term but it is the first major crease... if you look at your palm there is a sort of pad behind/below each finger and then a crease/line below those. By flexing my hand I can very easily press just that key. The are not any other keys I can press that way.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 00:22:34 »
5 years from now, people will get into heated debates over WASD/ESDF, insulting eachother and feeling superior for using one or the other... :D

And when the war comes, I'll be a lone warrior of the WASD nation

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline Comment

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 00:31:46 »
5 years from now, people will get into heated debates over WASD/ESDF, insulting eachother and feeling superior for using one or the other... :D

And when the war comes, I'll be a lone warrior of the WASD nation
I highly doubt that  :p There's always gonna be people saying "Call me old-fashioned but..."

Offline moonexe

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 01:23:43 »
Lone warrior because I'm a loner, not because I'll be the only one. :rolleyes:

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:29:56 »
In actual fact it is more of a flex or wrist roll. With my left hand on the home keys, the bottom edge of the control key nestles into the crease of my hand. I don't know the right term but it is the first major crease... if you look at your palm there is a sort of pad behind/below each finger and then a crease/line below those. By flexing my hand I can very easily press just that key. The are not any other keys I can press that way.

I've heard of people doing this, but it seems really strange. What is the benefit of doing this and when do you do it for gaming? I guess it's kind of like adding another finger, but it seems really uncomfortable, and I can't think of a time I would need to do something like that.
Mouse less.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:51:02 »
An extra benefit to the ESDF cluster for people who change their caps is... you might well have a home-key variant for colemak in your set so you can put a bump/dash/deep dish on E...

I'm doing that right now and will try ESDF this week!

In fact thinking about this... ESDF already gives you a bump to locate on F...

[)amien
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:58:45 by DamienG »

Offline moonexe

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:57:28 »
An extra benefit to the ESDF cluster for people who change their caps is... you might well have a home-key variant for colemak in your set so you can put a bump/dash/deep dish on E...

I'm doing that right now and will try ESDF this week!

[)amien
For uniform caps like DSA, at least. :p
I'd like a homing bar on my W...

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 17:01:58 »
I've heard of people doing this, but it seems really strange. What is the benefit of doing this and when do you do it for gaming? I guess it's kind of like adding another finger, but it seems really uncomfortable, and I can't think of a time I would need to do something like that.
It's more comfortable than it sounds. I bind crouch to control. I can therefore move while crouching very easily because it does not require a finger. Very useful in situations where you want to move slowly while possibly needing to do something else like heal or reload.

It all started with what I believe were the default keys in Duke 3d, where control was the fire key and I played without a mouse. Once the habit was formed by that game I never lost it.

I'm not conscious enough to be sure, but I think I use it for copy paste etc also. I hear of people who swap caps and control because they find control awkward to press, but I find it easy.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:37:21 by Zustiur »

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 17:28:01 »
ESDF all the way for me, well FRST actually because colemak, but same place. It's where my hands already are for touch typing, I can't fathom why someone would want to move them to the left more.

Also using an edox so I have my thumbs and function layer bound to stuff too.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 17:38:41 »
For me this is a non-issue.

I use WASD, though I could be perfectly happy using ESDF too. I stick to WASD though because I also use the modifier keys and TAB as standard keys in most games, and have gotten comfortable with that. I have never felt the need for even more keybinds. The keys available and comfortable for me to use around WASD has always been enough.

One small thing I would dislike about ESDF is that I would feel like I'd have to push my keyboard a little to the left and recenter it all the time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2014, 17:42:36 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline angelic_sedition

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 22:08:12 »
It's more comfortable than it sounds. I bind crouch to control. I can therefore move while crouching very easily because it does not require a finger. Very useful in situations where you want to move slowly while possibly needing to do something else like heal or reload.

It all started with what I believe were the default keys in Duke 3d, where control was the fire key and I played without a mouse. Once the habit was formed by that game I never lost it.

I'm not conscious enough to be sure, but I think I use it for copy paste etc also. I hear of people who swap caps and control because they find control awkward to press, but I find it easy.

I have no idea why this post came it grey.

I think you quoted it wrong. I've tried it on three keyboards now, and it doesn't really work well on any of them for me. No use of toggle crouch? I'd rather just use pinky or thumb for reload while crouching and moving or something. Pretty interesting though. I'll try it out a bit more.

I've stopped using control for pretty much everything. Copy, cut, and paste = y d p.
Mouse less.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 05:48:04 »
I've fixed the previous post. Couldn't see the problem on my phone, very easy to see on my pc.

Whether palm pressed control suits you or not probably depends upon your general hand position. I always put my wrists on the desk, keyboard tray or wrist rest, but if you hover your wrists, it wouldn't be easy at all. I just tried it on my ergodox, and it feels a bit different. It turns out that I'm pressing with the pad below my pinky, not the crease. It's probably bad for me because it involves flexing the finger wrong way. I'm pretty sure I only do it with my left hand. Trying to do it on the right feels awkward. 

This got me thinking.

I don't think that I ever use right control. That probably explains a lot as it would be impossible to press ctrl-a and ctrl-z with my pinky if I didn't use this trick.

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 08:07:06 »
I used ESDF for a while-- was forced into it by the design of a particular 2KRO keyboard...
Hey, me too!  I haven't used that keyboard in a long time, though.  I don't game much these days.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 00:00:49 »
Years ago, I used to use WASD after prying myself off the arrow keys and learning how to aim with a mouse...

...but then I got into Tribes 2, which defaulted to ESDF. It was clearly obvious why when you look at all the bindings: one key to throw grenades, another to throw mines, yet another to place beacons, one more for packs and another for medkits, so on and so forth. I hadn't switched back since, because the advantages were obvious and I tend to rebind controls manually first time I start up a game anyway. (For starters, gotta make every game reload via middle mouse click instead of R...)

Unfortunately, this causes problems when I run into games that are hard-bound to WASD, like Hostile Waters or, of all things, Tribes: Vengeance's context-sensitive menu. Yes, they exist sometimes, and it pisses me off because I've been using ESDF for over a decade and it really trips me up.

It's also mildly annoying if it's something like ArmA that takes up practically the entire keyboard, which makes for a TON of re-mapping.

This is the reason why I'd like something akin to a successor to the old Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander, except it needs to be actually usable as an analog device (the drivers I've found only allow keyboard emulation, not DirectInput axes) and have a bit less movement to it.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 02:25:34 »
One thing to bear in mind is that both WASD and ESDF are pretty good, back in my spectrum days most games were QAOP.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 18:50:00 »
I have been using WASD for a while as well. I also like that my left pinky has to hit the bigger keys, however if it were ESDF the distance would be uncomfortable for me :S
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline kishagi

• Narcoleptic
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 19:23:45 »
Ive been trying ESDF with FPS games like BF3 & 4, ive gotta that to me it is a much more efficient layout in terms of key spacing. I encouraged my friend to try it out, which he apparently all ready did. For him WASD is more efficient simply because his hands are smaller  and cant span his pinky far enough to hit shift or ctrl.

The only problem I have is that Ive been using WASD for so long that my hand automatically goes there if I take my hand off the keyboard even for half a second.  :rolleyes:

Offline islisis

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 06:03:52 »
sdfc on kinesis... if i must
ps move navigation controller/analog stick if i have a choice :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 April 2014, 01:26:02 by islisis »

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 11:38:07 »
i use WASD but modified. i dont use a caps on my board. control is where caps should be. anywho control is sprint and shift is duck/prone.  also lately i have been using the dox for gaming and it is awesome. WASD with a matrix layout and thumb clusters feels really nice. really nice.

my coworker is a hardcore ESDF man and has been since the days of quake or some **** that used it.  he setup a few battlfield 3 sessions with it for me and i have to say that i hated it. however i completely understand why some would like it. that makes sense to me. however, flash light, reload, use, etc are just f, r, and e in my mind and there is no going back at this point.

WASD for life yo.  now i just need another fps for the pc that i want to play. all i play these days is d3 and some planetary annihilation (which i suck at) and neither of those use wasd style controls.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline WONDERBRIGHT

• Steelseries !
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 06:36:43 »
I'm using ESDF too , i feel more comfortable to press shift and ctrl buttons when using ESDF  :)

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 21:24:10 »
I use ESDF when casual gaming, but when I play CS I use UHJK or else I hit the side of my full size board  :(
Hi :)

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:02:58 »
i personally like setting ctrl -> caps lock so it's even easier to hit the ctrl key. i have small hands but esdf works pretty well in that respect.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 00:26:03 »
I use wasd  but with my right hand. Left handed i use the mouse with my left. I like having shift for run moving over to the right would be weird.