Author Topic: Classifieds and the 60 post rule....  (Read 29755 times)

Offline AGmurdercore

Re: Classifieds and the 60 post rule....
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:25:09 »
I will honest i haven't read all of the posts in this thread but i do think that the 60 posts rule should be changed with some that requires more commitment if i can say. The time limitation seems a lot better in my eyes.
What the hell am I even doing

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:45:03 »
The priority of iMav and the rest of the staff is to have a cool place to collaborate on projects and discuss keyboards.  I don't see numbers regularly (one of the other admins might know more) but my impression is that traffic is way up.  That's a good thing but it's not our focus.

Well obviously we are getting a huge influx from reddit, where people here about the circus and have to come see if the bearded lady is hot or not, whether that is a good or bad thing remains unseen.

So Ripster is (still) part of the problem? Actually makes a lot of sense.

Also, does DT have similar issues? Or have they been isolated to GH?

I don't think DT gets many noobs.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:46:23 »
The priority of iMav and the rest of the staff is to have a cool place to collaborate on projects and discuss keyboards.  I don't see numbers regularly (one of the other admins might know more) but my impression is that traffic is way up.  That's a good thing but it's not our focus.

Well obviously we are getting a huge influx from reddit, where people here about the circus and have to come see if the bearded lady is hot or not, whether that is a good or bad thing remains unseen.

So Ripster is (still) part of the problem? Actually makes a lot of sense.

Also, does DT have similar issues? Or have they been isolated to GH?

I don't think DT gets many noobs.

No clacks bro.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:46:44 »
Why not make access to the Classifieds (and 4Grab events) the cost of a background check -- in order to get that access you pay GH a token amount, and your personal details are verified using a PayPal transaction. Every existing GH member in good standing is grandfathered in. This would:

1. Give GH some additional operating funds. This is a good place, a success -- successes deserve to be funded.
2. A 13-year-old dunce who just wants a Clack won't be able to have a Paypal account for verification purposes. Sorry, kid.
3. An adult with a genuine interest in buying their first mechanical keyboard won't mind paying a token amount to do so in confidence.
4. People who just want to talk about keyboards as opposed to buying/selling still can at no cost.
5. If the buying and selling does generate some amount of unrest, at least that unrest will be offset by the additional funds.

Again, to be clear: grandfather in the existing members. That means someone who has been here for a year contributing to the discussion doesn't have to pay -- only new members who insist on access to the Classifieds. This would also keep 4Grabs events within the GH family. So if the Paypal donation is $3, and 300 people register two days before the 4Grabs, well, that's a nice chunk of change for the site. That will help a lot of Groupbuys, a lot of worthwhile projects. That kind of money funds forum and server upgrades. So someone who's been lurking can register, have no posts, but be verified as having a valid PayPal account, and immediately participate in the Classifieds. And if there's a fraud issue, lack of payment, etc. -- let PayPal handle it.

As things are now, 4Grabs events are like free lottery tickets -- why should they be free? Access to the Classifieds is also very nearly free -- why should that be?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:54:59 »
^^ The 13yr old will just use mom or dad's paypal :P

I've had a few of those transactions and they always bother me.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 07:55:21 »
Why not make access to the Classifieds (and 4Grab events) the cost of a background check -- in order to get that access you pay GH a token amount, and your personal details are verified using a PayPal transaction. Every existing GH member in good standing is grandfathered in. This would:

1. Give GH some additional operating funds. This is a good place, a success -- successes deserve to be funded.
2. A 13-year-old dunce who just wants a Clack won't be able to have a Paypal account for verification purposes. Sorry, kid.
3. An adult with a genuine interest in buying their first mechanical keyboard won't mind paying a token amount to do so in confidence.
4. People who just want to talk about keyboards as opposed to buying/selling still can at no cost.
5. If the buying and selling does generate some amount of unrest, at least that unrest will be offset by the additional funds.

Again, to be clear: grandfather in the existing members. That means someone who has been here for a year contributing to the discussion doesn't have to pay -- only new members who insist on access to the Classifieds. This would also keep 4Grabs events within the GH family. So if the Paypal donation is $3, and 300 people register two days before the 4Grabs, well, that's a nice chunk of change for the site. That will help a lot of Groupbuys, a lot of worthwhile projects. That kind of money funds forum and server upgrades. So someone who's been lurking can register, have no posts, but be verified as having a valid PayPal account, and immediately participate in the Classifieds. And if there's a fraud issue, lack of payment, etc. -- let PayPal handle it.

As things are now, 4Grabs events are like free lottery tickets -- why should they be free? Access to the Classifieds is also very nearly free -- why should that be?

No offence, but putting a price on the ability to post in the classifieds is just a horrible idea.  Admins are already skeptical of implementing too harsh of a restriction on the classifieds, but I think charging people for it just puts it over the top.

And how would this change anything? Not all newbies are kids, so they'd be more than willing to pay the $3 for classifieds posting rights, and then we're right back where we started. Except with more money for GH (the only good thing about this idea).
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:08:27 »
No offence, but putting a price on the ability to post in the classifieds is just a horrible idea.  Admins are already skeptical of implementing too harsh of a restriction on the classifieds, but I think charging people for it just puts it over the top.

Is a $2-$3 PayPal confirmation really so harsh? Would it cut down on the new members? Only the ones that are here solely (possibly) for the free lottery tickets (4Grabs), and shill bidding. People who just want to talk about their projects, about keyboards, etc. -- nothing changes. They can still lurk, they can register when they're ready; they can contribute to projects, discussions. At their discretion they can decide to take the plunge and purchase access to the Classifieds, or be gifted access, or make the donation out of pure goodwill. GH is well worth a $2-$3 donation that not only supports the forum but decreases the likelihood of fraud.

Quote from: C-L-i-B
And how would this change anything? Not all newbies are kids, so they'd be more than willing to pay the $3 for classifieds posting rights, and then we're right back where we started. Except with more money for GH (the only good thing about this idea).

As Ray correctly pointed out, it's not a perfect solution. There can still be some fraud, in any system. There will still be punks with daddy or mommy's credit card, or a stolen card, etc. -- but it would reduce the likelihood of fraud by at least some degree. So if 300 new members would normally join in preparation for a 4Grabs, or access to the Classifieds, and they immediately begin posting crap in order to make the post threshhold -- under my proposal most would say screw it (200 of them?) and the other 100 would pay. That's 200x50+ useless posts we don't have to store and serve up and scroll past. And some useful funds in the process, and 100 new users who are verified/validated.

Then that money can go towards projects, forum upgrades, etc. -- which would likely only drive the success of the forum further.

Some money, less crap posts, fewer transitory (market-minded only) members. What's not to like?
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:12:36 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline osi

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:10:19 »
Newb here. The classifieds section is great here but it was not the main pull that drove me to the site. I came here for keyboard knowledge and lore and there is plenty of it scattered throughout these forums.

Having said that, it will probably be a long time before I achieve 60 posts and I'm in no rush. There is just so much information available; not a lot of new stuff to post about for me :D.

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:16:15 by osi »

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:18:07 »

Is a $2-$3 PayPal confirmation really so harsh? Would it cut down on the new members? Only the ones that are here solely (possibly) for the free lottery tickets (4Grabs), and shill bidding. People who just want to talk about their projects, about keyboards, etc. -- nothing changes. They can still lurk, they can register when they're ready; they can contribute to projects, discussions. At their discretion they can decide to take the plunge and purchase access to the Classifieds, or be gifted access, or make the donation out of pure goodwill. GH is well worth a $2-$3 donation that not only supports the forum but decreases the likelihood of fraud.

Quote from: C-L-i-B

As Ray correctly pointed out, it's not a perfect solution. There can still be some fraud, in any system. There will still be punks with daddy or mommy's credit card, or a stolen card, etc. -- but it would reduce the likelihood of fraud by at least some degree. So if 300 new members would normally join in preparation for a 4Grabs, or access to the Classifieds, and they immediately begin posting crap in order to make the post threshhold -- under my proposal most would say screw it (200 of them?) and the other 100 would pay. That's 200x50+ useless posts we don't have to store and serve up and scroll past. And some useful funds in the process, and 100 new users who are verified/validated.

Then that money can go towards projects, forum upgrades, etc. -- which would likely only drive the success of the forum further.

I agree that any system will have it's flaws, but I feel that the one you are proposing makes it too easy for new members to "buy in" and be able to use the classifieds without restriction.  A time/post restriction is easier to implement and much more efficient at deterring shill bidders, profiteers, and newbs who are here just for Clack sales.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:41:23 »
I agree that any system will have it's flaws, but I feel that the one you are proposing makes it too easy for new members to "buy in" and be able to use the classifieds without restriction.  A time/post restriction is easier to implement and much more efficient at deterring shill bidders, profiteers, and newbs who are here just for Clack sales.

They wouldn't be completely anonymous anymore, at the very least. What I notice is that the profile of a "good" GH user is exactly the sort who won't make 60 useless posts. Why should they have to wait months, patiently waiting for a chance to make useful posts while less scrupulous members just make 60 useless posts in 4 weeks, and then they get to participate more fully than the "better" user?

I agree fully with you CLiB, that a time/post restriction is far, far easier to implement. I don't think it is more efficient at deterring the "problem" or less desired users and the behavior they bring. There's a reason companies announce "this phone call will be recorded for training purposes" -- once someone knows they will not be completely anonymous, that there will be some concrete record of their behavior, the bad behavior is more likely to stop.

Oh, and the extra money for GH. There's that too.  :thumb:
More

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:52:21 »

They wouldn't be completely anonymous anymore, at the very least. What I notice is that the profile of a "good" GH user is exactly the sort who won't make 60 useless posts. Why should they have to wait months, patiently waiting for a chance to make useful posts while less scrupulous members just make 60 useless posts in 4 weeks, and then they get to participate more fully than the "better" user?

I agree fully with you CLiB, that a time/post restriction is far, far easier to implement. I don't think it is more efficient at deterring the "problem" or less desired users and the behavior they bring. There's a reason companies announce "this phone call will be recorded for training purposes" -- once someone knows they will not be completely anonymous, that there will be some concrete record of their behavior, the bad behavior is more likely to stop.

Oh, and the extra money for GH. There's that too.  :thumb:

But how will charging to open the classifieds for new members make them less anonymous? It's not like the mods/admins have the legal basis to release their personal information (i.e. PayPal account info) to the public, so they're just as anonymous to us as they would have been before. The only people who they wouldn't be anonymous to would be the mods/admins.

And now that I think about it, mods already have the power to stop people from spamming their way to 60 posts. It's called MODERATING! If they notice a new member that is blatantly spamming their way to 60 posts, they can simply delete the spam, their post count is reduced, and they have to actually post something worth while.

And if the typical "good" new GH user isn't trying to get their 60 posts as fast as possible, then isn't it obvious that they aren't here just for the classifieds and are perfectly content to wait it out until they reach that milestone?
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 08:55:13 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:09:36 »
But how will charging to open the classifieds for new members make them less anonymous? It's not like the mods/admins have the legal basis to release their personal information (i.e. PayPal account info) to the public, so they're just as anonymous to us as they would have been before.

The new member wishing access to the classifieds would require a PayPal account, and PayPal does have its own verification process. If you buy or sell something using PayPal, and something goes very wrong (fraudulently wrong) you at least have some recourse. The mods/owners wouldn't release personal information, but at least they would know that there was some minimum standard of verification performed by PayPal.

Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement
The only people who they wouldn't be anonymous to would be the mods/admins.

Exactly. It's not like you would have your identity posted to everyone, just the people who should be in possession of that information. Users would still have some anonymity, but not so much that they could be shills, or sock puppets, or act fraudulently.

And now that I think about it, mods already have the power to stop people from spamming their way to 60 posts. It's called MODERATING! If they notice a new member that is blatantly spamming their way to 60 posts, they can simply delete the spam, their post count is reduced, and they have to actually post something worth while.

You raise a very valid point. The only problems with that method are: it could be very subjective, and will require a lot more effort (which could be directed more productively elsewhere) and raises no funds for GH. Also, if you get a flood of people in advance of a 4Grabs drawing, that's going to very taxing on the mods. 

And if the typical "good" new GH user isn't trying to get their 60 posts as fast as possible, then isn't it obvious that they aren't here just for the classifieds and are perfectly content to wait it out until they reach that milestone?

They may be content. What if they're not? Let's say we get a new member who contributes a lot, but manages to do it with brevity.

This chills me to the bone.  ;)

This great new member contributes a new interface, a fantastic series of writeups, but they're at 45 posts. We should have a system that lets them make a small donation and immediately get access, if they so choose. Why should they have to wait, even if they are willing to do so? We should slant the game board in favor of rewarding new members that fit our vision of what the community should be.

Maybe a hybrid system? Reach 100 posts (non-spam) or pay $2-$3 to be verified and get immediate access?

Anyway, we can just agree to disagree on the matter. No system will end up being perfect, that's for certain.
More

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:10:32 »
I like the time as a member idea put in force along with post count.  I have been a member for 3 years yet I have low posts.  I tend to read and research more than post.  Most of the time the question I want answered has been posted before, in fact I would say it happens 99% of the time so if I am patient I can find my answer.  I have started posting more recently due to wanting to get some different ideas on keyboards (really want that 60% Alps from Matias) and looking for opinions of others.  I went for a long stretch where I didnt post anything as I was quite happy with my keyboard setups.

I have been a watch collector for a very long time and on one of the biggest watch forums out they have disabled any replies in their classifieds.  You cant post GLWS or anything like that, only the OP can post and then its just one bump per 12hrs or you can edit your post.  It really cleaned up the classified section. 

That same site also has a very good user feedback forum.  Its the first place I visit before somebody buys one of my watches or to check out a buyer. 
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:46:31 »
On the subject of new users posting in classifieds threads and buying things:
Do we know that this is actually a problem?  I mean, everyone's mentioning things that could go wrong.  Is this actually even a problem?  I don't see a threat here.  What's the harm in letting a new person buy a cool keyboard? 

It seems that shill bidding is a real threat, but that's really easy to moderate.  Heck, the person running the auction could just put in the OP "ignore all bids by users with under 60 posts".  And if you don't feel comfortable selling to someone with under 60 posts, just don't do it.

But if I want to sell to a new user, why should that be restricted?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:56:37 »
It seems that shill bidding is a real threat, but that's really easy to moderate.  Heck, the person running the auction could just put in the OP "ignore all bids by users with under 60 posts".  And if you don't feel comfortable selling to someone with under 60 posts, just don't do it.

I guess I was thinking the shill bidding might be from the person running the auction :eek:

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 12:08:10 »
I sold a keyboard to a new user, I think she had 6 posts at the time.  Transaction went very smoothly.  I think its up to the seller to decide if they want to take the risk or not.  My board was cheap, she had a confirmed address and everything checked out so it wasnt a big deal and it went great.

I do think its a little odd that a brand new user can buy though.  I can understand the draw of the classifieds when you are looking for a new board but it would be nice if they stuck around a while first.
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 14:56:33 »
Newbie chiming in!

I'm trying not to spam to get to my 60 posts, but I also feel like 60 posts is high for someone new to the keyboard scene who wants to make meaningful posts.

Like if I already had a crazy amount of keyboard stuff I could imagine getting there sooner, but, alas, I do not have a ton of keyboard information or pictures that I want to share!

That and when I have a question, I use the search to find the answer rather than making a post about it.

In-fact, the only reason I did sign up was to use the advanced search feature. Once I found out I might be able to sell a keycap set/keyboard or buy a cool keycap set in the classifieds, I started working my way to 60 posts.

Even so, I was able to buy a set of DDR caps off of the classifieds with too-few posts ($6... lol).
I notice that the mechmarket reddit doesn't have any kind of rep limit, and I haven't heard of anyone scamming on there. Plus to make an account here is already more difficult.

Anyways, I guess my 2 cents is that 60 posts seems kinda high. I do like the idea of someone being an active member for some period of time (3 months seems reasonable)...
Then learn about the keyboard scene.  Get involved in the community.  It isn't particularly tough.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:21:04 »

I guess I was thinking the shill bidding might be from the person running the auction :eek:

Oh, right.  Duh.  So perhaps auctions are a separate beast that should be dealt with accordingly, but my last sentence that you posted still stands, and applies to sales as well.  If you feel very strongly about selling to someone devoted to the community, then do that.  Don't sell to a new user.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:48:08 »
I still support using ebay for our auctions. Its much orderly and has buyer and seller protection. Plus all that crap on there gets moved to an external site. Just make a seperate forum to post auctions that get bumped once every 24 hrs by only the seller.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:08:35 »
From the point of view of someone who's been here for about a year (can't remember exactly) but doesn't post all that often:

What is wrong with the 30 posts +1 month for access to the classifieds idea? I like geekhack, the people here seem nice and the things that get achieved in making stuff (I'm amazed by how quickly things go from concept to working prototype here) and the stuff that gets put through IC and GB is often incredible - these aspects of the forum were what made me join, rather than lurking. I don't really understand all the talk of "turning away new members because of too many restrictions". Surely, it would be better to have a forum made of members who stuck around for a month before even considering buying things from the classifieds than one that exists purely as a market place where they can pick up things that are hard to find on eBay?

Fair enough if there have been plenty of successful sales to low post count people, that's nice but envision a scenario where you need 30 posts/1 month to even see the classifieds: "Dear <<new poster>>, you have now hit 30 posts and 1 month membership of the forum meaning you now have access to the classifieds section of the forum, congrats and welcome to geekhack."
"Ooh, I wonder what they have for sale there."
*checks classifieds, realises they missed a sale of a poker 2 for $80*

Now, after <<new poster>> has been here a month and contributed 30 posts, are they going to rage-quit because they missed a good deal? Not likely, they'll hang around for the reason they joined the forum in the first place and in future, maybe buy something in the classifieds. As for selling, no idea, I have nothing to sell so haven't thought about it.

Anyway, to close. I think what people need to think about is this: Do you want geekhack to be a marketplace where invisible, nameless people come to buy your stuff OR do you want it to be a community where you sell things to people you know (or are at least vaguely aware of their existence) while discussing things you enjoy?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:17:19 »
I do believe in the wait. If theres some once in a lifetime sale, cool, you didn't get to even enter, but other people didn't either. Its not going to make or break the bank.

If they actual like the forum, they will make an account, post around, like GH after a month, and stay

Offline Belfong

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 19:51:22 »
I think it is perfectly okay for newcomer to answer in Classifieds. If they are buying, it helps the community - after all, they have to pay first before the items is shipped, right? So there is no scamming here. I'd be wary if a newbie can become a seller so soon as the potential for the person running away is high.

Auction is a problem though because of shill bidding -  I don't think there is a solution here though.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:03:18 »
I don't understand why some people are so against even a 30 day restriction on the classifieds. Are people really in that much of a hurry to buy stuff? People have no patience these days.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:06:30 »
I don't understand why some people are so against even a 30 day restriction on the classifieds. Are people really in that much of a hurry to buy stuff? People have no patience these days.
I want it to be 90 days.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:09:12 »
I want it to be 90 days.

The longer the better, but 90 days is a long time. unless you are returning productions. then 90 days is super short

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:11:56 »
From the point of view of someone who's been here for about a year (can't remember exactly) but doesn't post all that often:

What is wrong with the 30 posts +1 month for access to the classifieds idea? I like geekhack, the people here seem nice and the things that get achieved in making stuff (I'm amazed by how quickly things go from concept to working prototype here) and the stuff that gets put through IC and GB is often incredible - these aspects of the forum were what made me join, rather than lurking. I don't really understand all the talk of "turning away new members because of too many restrictions". Surely, it would be better to have a forum made of members who stuck around for a month before even considering buying things from the classifieds than one that exists purely as a market place where they can pick up things that are hard to find on eBay?

Fair enough if there have been plenty of successful sales to low post count people, that's nice but envision a scenario where you need 30 posts/1 month to even see the classifieds: "Dear <<new poster>>, you have now hit 30 posts and 1 month membership of the forum meaning you now have access to the classifieds section of the forum, congrats and welcome to geekhack."
"Ooh, I wonder what they have for sale there."
*checks classifieds, realises they missed a sale of a poker 2 for $80*

Now, after <<new poster>> has been here a month and contributed 30 posts, are they going to rage-quit because they missed a good deal? Not likely, they'll hang around for the reason they joined the forum in the first place and in future, maybe buy something in the classifieds. As for selling, no idea, I have nothing to sell so haven't thought about it.

Anyway, to close. I think what people need to think about is this: Do you want geekhack to be a marketplace where invisible, nameless people come to buy your stuff OR do you want it to be a community where you sell things to people you know (or are at least vaguely aware of their existence) while discussing things you enjoy?

My thoughts exactly. Well spoken, sir.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:23:38 »

Very well said. I don't think the 30 posts/1 month restriction will completely solve this, but I do think it will bring a greater sense of community.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:53:03 »
Just found a loophole with the 30 day 30 post theory

http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=23673

This person has been here since 2012, but hasn't really posted until now. Now they're just spamming the same copy pasted thing into the classifieds, most likely to get to 60

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:54:24 »

Show Image

This person has been here since 2012, but hasn't really posted until now. Now they're just spamming the same copy pasted thing into the classifieds, most likely to get to 60

Damn! At least my posts mean something. Here I thought they were being nice to my thread but they said it to everyone's!!!!!!  :confused:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:57:48 »

Show Image

Let em keep it up, classifieds posts don't count anyways hahaha :P

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:58:25 »

Show Image

hahaha maybe he is really nice and wishing every single seller a good Sale. :P lmao

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:58:47 »

Show Image

Oh really? No wounder this guy is still at 9 posts

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 00:03:50 »

Show Image

hahaha maybe he is really nice and wishing every single seller a good Sale. :P lmao

It's possible but posting the same canned response?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 00:11:16 »
That fool has been dealth with.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 00:13:51 »
That fool has been dealth with.

Show Image

hashbaz is Mr. Burns?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 00:14:33 »

Show Image

It's possible but posting the same canned response?

Yeah that was forsure spam, couldve at least changed the message a tad,.  :confused:

Offline Belfong

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 00:52:27 »
I am not long in GH. Started in Sept 2013. But I remember the first two months - Sept/Oct, there were  some really good discussion when I go to "Unread". These days, "Unread" are dominated mainly by classified posts. Is GH turning into craiglist? Ha ha .. I am not sure if it's fun to shift through all these classifieds. Is there an easier way to read the threads? What's the difference between Unread and Spy?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 01:40:27 »
I am not long in GH. Started in Sept 2013. But I remember the first two months - Sept/Oct, there were  some really good discussion when I go to "Unread". These days, "Unread" are dominated mainly by classified posts. Is GH turning into craiglist? Ha ha .. I am not sure if it's fun to shift through all these classifieds. Is there an easier way to read the threads? What's the difference between Unread and Spy?

Spy updates automatically and updates everything. Unread shows everything you haven't looked at that has new posts in them. Most people use spy but I prefer unread

Offline Belfong

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 02:21:23 »

Spy updates automatically and updates everything. Unread shows everything you haven't looked at that has new posts in them. Most people use spy but I prefer unread
Do you mean Spy is auto refresh? Let me go check...

EDIT: wow, Spy does auto refresh, which is pretty cool - meaning if you have a dual monitor set up you can see what's happening on the second screen. Although, one irritation is that when you click on an updated post, it goes to page number 1 instead of the last read page.

Edit: I am an idiot. Click on the icon on the first column of Spy and it brings you to last unread post.

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2013, 02:26:09 by Belfong »

Offline cadgers

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:56:26 »
What about me guys? I've been lurking for almost 3 years. Someone sell me some posts.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 10:01:12 »
What about me guys? I've been lurking for almost 3 years. Someone sell me some posts.

And that's part of the point. It's better for everyone to participate not just lurk in the shadows :D

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 11:10:06 »

Do you mean Spy is auto refresh? Let me go check...

EDIT: wow, Spy does auto refresh, which is pretty cool - meaning if you have a dual monitor set up you can see what's happening on the second screen. Although, one irritation is that when you click on an updated post, it goes to page number 1 instead of the last read page.

Edit: I am an idiot. Click on the icon on the first column of Spy and it brings you to last unread post.

took me a long ****ing time to realize that the icon on the left brought it to the last post. But i still like unread and only use spy when I finish my unreads

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 13:03:23 »

What happened to all those posts you're keeping inside?  Let some of them out from time to time :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:03:08 »
I seriously think we should make the classifieds invisible to any lurkers and anyone without the current 60 post minimum. They should show that they are interested in GeekHack and want to stay here and be a member before they touch any money. This way people just don't sign up to use the classifieds and just leave.

Currently people without 60 posts can comment in classifieds and can look at them, but not make their own thread. I don't see a point of letting them comment in classifieds if they can't even make their own thread because they can still buy and sell things through comment or PM on other people's threads. And thus letting them comment on classifieds just bypasses the 60 post rule in a sense.
In addition, they can still conduct trades via PM. The only way to guarantee that someone comes to GH for the community and forums instead of the classifieds is if they can't even see the classifieds. They can see them once they get their 60 and show that they are here for the community, but before that, there is no reason for them to be there.

Now to a newbie they might think they missed out on some awesome sale, but if they invest their time into GH and become part of the community, they will still be here when the next bigger sale pops up. This system just makes the community stronger. There are many more forums they can go on to see keyboard content, and if they need to buy something, they can join a group buy or buy from our vendors.

We shouldn't be here just for the classifieds. New people shouldn't come here for the classifieds. We are here as a community, and to ensure that more people join us and don't flake off is to make classifieds 100% off limits until they have proven that they are a member of the community.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:11:05 »
I seriously think we should make the classifieds invisible to any lurkers and anyone without the current 60 post minimum. They should show that they are interested in GeekHack and want to stay here and be a member before they touch any money. This way people just don't sign up to use the classifieds and just leave.

Currently people without 60 posts can comment in classifieds and can look at them, but not make their own thread. I don't see a point of letting them comment in classifieds if they can't even make their own thread because they can still buy and sell things through comment or PM on other people's threads. And thus letting them comment on classifieds just bypasses the 60 post rule in a sense.
In addition, they can still conduct trades via PM. The only way to guarantee that someone comes to GH for the community and forums instead of the classifieds is if they can't even see the classifieds. They can see them once they get their 60 and show that they are here for the community, but before that, there is no reason for them to be there.

Now to a newbie they might think they missed out on some awesome sale, but if they invest their time into GH and become part of the community, they will still be here when the next bigger sale pops up. This system just makes the community stronger. There are many more forums they can go on to see keyboard content, and if they need to buy something, they can join a group buy or buy from our vendors.

We shouldn't be here just for the classifieds. New people shouldn't come here for the classifieds. We are here as a community, and to ensure that more people join us and don't flake off is to make classifieds 100% off limits until they have proven that they are a member of the community.

Kid, please, shut up. You've been here 3 months. There is nothing wrong with letting people see and post in classifieds. Just because some new guy is trying to get free **** doesn't mean that everyone under 60 posts is a douchebag scammer.

Just because someone comes here asking for stuff, doesn't mean everyone will come to their aid and they will be showered with a thousand clacks, if someone just want's a wasd set to make their new keyboard look unique, and someone is willing to give it to him, how does that even remotely concern you. If he takes the wasd and runs, who cares.

60 posts also doesn't help **** with if someone will really stick around and contribute the community. I could easily spam to 60 posts in 24 hours and make each one look somewhat legitimate, does that mean I'll stick with that account? **** no.

Look I understand you've been on the internet since the 5th grade, but that doesn't mean you know how to conduct yourself.

So I'm asking you, please, shut the **** up.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:15:57 »

Kid, please, shut up. You've been here 3 months. There is nothing wrong with letting people see and post in classifieds. Just because some new guy is trying to get free **** doesn't mean that everyone under 60 posts is a douchebag scammer.

Just because someone comes here asking for stuff, doesn't mean everyone will come to their aid and they will be showered with a thousand clacks, if someone just want's a wasd set to make their new keyboard look unique, and someone is willing to give it to him, how does that even remotely concern you. If he takes the wasd and runs, who cares.

60 posts also doesn't help **** with if someone will really stick around and contribute the community. I could easily spam to 60 posts in 24 hours and make each one look somewhat legitimate, does that mean I'll stick with that account? **** no.

Look I understand you've been on the internet since the 5th grade, but that doesn't mean you know how to conduct yourself.

So I'm asking you, please, shut the **** up.

nice use of language

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:17:42 »

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:25:36 »

This applies to all parts of classifieds. From what I've read on this thread, people have come just for classifieds.
Hell, we even have a bad rap from reddit and KBDmania for our outrageous clack prices. While the clack prices have been made primarily by deep people in the community, people who don't understand the context blow it out of hand.

People can put their money wherever they want. But giving it to bad causes just further supports those bad people from doing what they do.
For example, after disasters, there are a plethora of people scamming donations to the people in trouble.
It may not directly affect me, but its pretty immoral and continuing to allow it just breeds a further bad rap for GH

Which is also why I support the 30 day 30 post requirement, it solves it more. We can't 100% prevent abuse, but we can try to discourage it as much as we can.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:35:33 »
This applies to all parts of classifieds. From what I've read on this thread, people have come just for classifieds.
Hell, we even have a bad rap from reddit and KBDmania for our outrageous clack prices. While the clack prices have been made primarily by deep people in the community, people who don't understand the context blow it out of hand.

yes, because people with 4 posts are the ones driving clack prices, certainly not the people who've been here the longest looking for specific items. Clack prices have absolutely nothing with you wanting to hate new people. Which is ironic since you've been here 3 months.

People can put their money wherever they want. But giving it to bad causes just further supports those bad people from doing what they do.
For example, after disasters, there are a plethora of people scamming donations to the people in trouble.
It may not directly affect me, but its pretty immoral and continuing to allow it just breeds a further bad rap for GH

Yes I'm sure, those *******s on geekhack, giving out stuff for free, everyone go make new accounts and ask for wasd sets, that'll show them! If a $6 wasd set really means that much to someone, they probably shouldn't be giving it out for free.

Which is also why I support the 30 day 30 post requirement, it solves it more. We can't 100% prevent abuse, but we can try to discourage it as much as we can.

Sitting on something for a month before trying to sell it isn't exactly discouraging, maybe we should only let certain people sell things after they've been here a minimum 18 months. zzz

Seriously dude, I don't know what kind of white-knight powertrip you're on, but just let it go. GH has been fine the last 4 years without having someone yell at people every 20 minutes.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:57:42 »
yes, because people with 4 posts are the ones driving clack prices, certainly not the people who've been here the longest looking for specific items. Clack prices have absolutely nothing with you wanting to hate new people. Which is ironic since you've been here 3 months.

Clack prices was just an example. But there is a negative connotation given to GH over a variety of issues.

Yes I'm sure, those *******s on geekhack, giving out stuff for free, everyone go make new accounts and ask for wasd sets, that'll show them! If a $6 wasd set really means that much to someone, they probably shouldn't be giving it out for free.

Homeless people ask for pennies at a time, but it adds up.

Sitting on something for a month before trying to sell it isn't exactly discouraging, maybe we should only let certain people sell things after they've been here a minimum 18 months. zzz

What. The whole point of the current 60 posts thing is to discourage abuse of classifieds. If they're discouraged about selling their stuff, then they shouldn't be here. The purpose of GH is not to sell stuff. Its to build a community. They can go to reddit and sell their stuff there on mechmarket, I'm sure there is a huge sense of community in that subreddit.

Seriously dude, I don't know what kind of white-knight powertrip you're on, but just let it go. GH has been fine the last 4 years without having someone yell at people every 20 minutes.

I don't think GH is fine. This thread is proof. bueller wouldn't post about the 60 post rule being pointless if its being doing perfectly fine.