Author Topic: Protecting GH users from Bad Trades  (Read 18983 times)

Offline Lanx

Protecting GH users from Bad Trades
« on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 16:36:38 »
I know GH doesn't participate in any trades/sales that happen on GH, as it should be, however i think there can be rules that each member can take to at least try to protect themselves.

1. GH sets up a Gmail account that only the mods have access. (i.e. ghtrades@gmail.com) i particularly didn't choose to use the gh address just so it really has no association with GH.

2. before a trade, a member writes legibly on a piece of paper.
a. their user name
b. the item to be traded
c. the amount
d. the date
e. paypal email address (this is highly debatable, i don't think this should be included)

and then take a selfie, with a recent newspaper and/or the item to be traded.

almost everyone in the world has a phone with a camera, if you don't, you don't belong a website with "geek" in it, and everyone has access to a daily newspaper for a few cents.

they'll upload and send pic to
a. the person to trade with
b. to the mod only gmail account

once both parties have agreed that the correct amount of information is exchanged between themselves and the mod only gmail account, then they should proceed with the transaction.

if it works out well, then great GH doesn't get involved and they have emails in a gmail account.

if it doesn't work out... then the shunned party can post the pic they received and if gh wants to, they can verify or not.

and if either party doesn't do this... well don't come on complaining 2 months later... "i got scammed, yada, yada... with limited proof"

this is a spin on "proof of life"

it proves that the username, is a real person, has the item in question, has a real face, has a dated newspaper clipping, and has access to basic technology.

of course you can say... photoshop, different person blah blah look at the exif data then.

of course this sounds a bit complicated for a tiny trade... but if you were willing to trade off a $100 keyboard or 2... why not do this?

then of course, this can be used later

"OMG i'm in a terrible accident, i'll send the keyboard in 2 weeks"

well then upload a pic of you in a hospital gurney, we already know what the real person looks like since everyone took precautions before.

if you won't, then you're lying.

"OMG my grandmother died"... take a selfie near the casket! (well... you get the idea)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Protecting GH users from Bad Trades
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 16:48:26 »
But the mods already have said they won't get involved.

But I do agree in regular classifieds it would be nice if people would post a note with their username and date, this is fairly common in most every other forum.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:05:34 »
I don't agree to this on the one basis that we have to take a selfie.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:11:09 »

Well perhaps a rule that if your under 18 your parent has to co-sign on any deals/trades? :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:12:23 »
If this was made mandatory, I think the Classifieds section would pretty much die.

And what about group buys?  There have been a couple of those where the organiser disappears with all the money.

When engaging in trade with someone you don't know, and especially in a different country, there are always risks.  Sometimes risks beyond the control of either party.

Scammers are usually identified fairly quickly around here.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:14:36 »

Well perhaps a rule that if your under 18 your parent has to co-sign on any deals/trades? :P

Then I'll just go to ebay to sell my **** and just deal with their fees.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:16:26 »

Do you have your own Ebay account?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:18:38 »

yup

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:19:11 »

yup

Interesting...so you basically lie to bypass the rules there??

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/identity-underage-users.html

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:27:23 »

have we had that many trades that have went south that something like this has to be installed?

just asking.........

i am one of the older gh'rs here and knowing that probably we have more gh'rs under 18 than over will be tough- easy to flub ur age

understand ur thinking though. i don't believe i have traded or purchased anything from somebody that is under 18?

do agree that with the amount of money, etc. that is being thrown around here something a little house keeping would not hurt, but we all buy and sell knowing the risk

i know when i first came here there was some gb's that went south and to my knowledge those people never recouped their items or funds

heck put up a wall of shame so others can see if it gets that bad........

i vote spamray sheriff........deputy dog :p
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:30:34 »

have we had that many trades that have went south that something like this has to be installed?

just asking.........

i am one of the older gh'rs here and knowing that probably we have more gh'rs under 18 than over will be tough- easy to flub ur age

understand ur thinking though. i don't believe i have traded or purchased anything from somebody that is under 18?

do agree that with the amount of money, etc. that is being thrown around here something a little house keeping would not hurt, but we all buy and sell knowing the risk

i know when i first came here there was some gb's that went south and to my knowledge those people never recouped their items or funds

Hey are we old farts the minority for real?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:33:39 »
The moderators are here to moderate based on rules of conduct--we do not mediate any sales or trades, as stated  clearly in the Classifieds.  It sounds like what you really want is eBay.  eBay has strict rules as well as people paid by eBay to look through listings, codes that parse through listings for any inconsistencies, insurance, and a big team of lawyers.  You pay for all that by giving eBay some of your profit money as a Final Value Fee, but you get that security.  We are volunteers, people like you, with jobs and other tasks.  And frankly--even beyond us having to spend a lot of time checking some dedicated email and vetting photos and what not--that's too much legal responsibility, as we could end up being caught up in some dispute as involved parties--not any moderator or administrator's dream because someone didn't do their due diligence or didn't contact PayPal in time.

P.S.:  We are working on the new Classifieds Rules that will require some of what you listed.  Hopefully to be released soon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:38:55 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:34:09 »

just asking.........

I'm 16 and none of my sales have gone south. Every single one has been shipped the next day, and I have not yet had an unhappy buyer here on GH. I've even done a couple international ships and while they were a PITA, they all arrived at the person's doorstep.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:39:03 »
selfie was the most recent webster approved word added to the english language, hell my mom is almost 70 and she just took a selfie!

i wouldn't say this should be required, just that if one party is like "hey... i'mma gonna trade you my $100 keyboard for your $10 clickclack, which we both value at $100... let's go take some selfie pics, and follow these rules"

why not?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:41:35 »
P.S.:  We are working on the new Classifieds Rules that will require some of what you listed.  Hopefully to be released soon.
oh cool, i think the unaffiliated@gmail idea is cool, i came up with that while shoveling 8ft of snow and freeing my car!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:47:34 »
They do not include that idea for the reasons I listed above.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:47:50 »
selfie was the most recent webster approved word added to the english language, hell my mom is almost 70 and she just took a selfie!

i wouldn't say this should be required, just that if one party is like "hey... i'mma gonna trade you my $100 keyboard for your $10 clickclack, which we both value at $100... let's go take some selfie pics, and follow these rules"

why not?

I shouldn't be forced to take a fing pic of myself and send it to someone just to sell a $3 doubleshot cap. I like the caveat empatour rule better, if you're willing to sell your board to someone that you don't fully trust, then don't. You don't have to sell it.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:55:54 »
Best way to protect yourself? Only deal with trustworthy people, especially if a lot of money is on the line. Geekhack, just like any other tech site with a classifieds section, can't take responsibility.

Simple and plain, don't deal with someone you don't trust, especially in trades. Also, gifting money, don't do it unless you seriously trust the person. I don't think it's insulting to the seller if you want some sort of protection in the sale.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:59:03 »
Best way to protect yourself? Only deal with trustworthy people, especially if a lot of money is on the line. Geekhack, just like any other tech site with a classifieds section, can't take responsibility.

Simple and plain, don't deal with someone you don't trust, especially in trades. Also, gifting money, don't do it unless you seriously trust the person. I don't think it's insulting to the seller if you want some sort of protection in the sale.

+1. My personal rule is if you have a small post count and/or haven't been here a while, its gift only. Too much risk unless its a gift. And when I buy stuff I don't mind losing, I pay by gift, but with stuff I know there's a chance of going south I do regular payment. But still, it doesn't reduce the risk to 0. Best option is only dealing with reptuable sellers.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:59:13 »
Thing is, how do you know if you can trust someone or not? I guess one way to look at it is post count or years in GH as a rule of thumb. But there could be someone like AvJab who was here long and had a good number of post who still scammed so I think the Wall of Shame is a good idea. Stickie a post in Classified as Wall of Shame and let people go there to research the seller/buyer and couple with their own judgement base on post count and years in GH.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:02:46 »

just asking.........

Hey are we old farts the minority for real?

sadly.............i believe we be the minority here
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:05:18 »
Thing is, how do you know if you can trust someone or not? I guess one way to look at it is post count or years in GH as a rule of thumb. But there could be someone like AvJab who was here long and had a good number of post who still scammed so I think the Wall of Shame is a good idea. Stickie a post in Classified as Wall of Shame and let people go there to research the seller/buyer and couple with their own judgement base on post count and years in GH.

yea. AvJab has been here a while, but he doesn't post that much. So I guess in those situations you should be wary. But wall of shame isn't neccessary, pretty sure in the replies there will be people warning others that the OP is a scammer.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:09:57 »

just asking.........

I'm 16 and none of my sales have gone south. Every single one has been shipped the next day, and I have not yet had an unhappy buyer here on GH. I've even done a couple international ships and while they were a PITA, they all arrived at the person's doorstep.

hand salute........that's what i'm talking 'bout :thumb:

kudo's
More

Offline Lanx

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:10:19 »
maybe not a wall of shame, but a section dedicated to "calling someone out"

the offended party will call out the other party and post relevant (non personal) information, and if that person hasn't responded in 7 days then that post will be left up there.

otherwise if that person has respond, then that post will be deleted.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:12:21 »

exactly
More

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:15:14 »

the offended party will call out the other party and post relevant (non personal) information, and if that person hasn't responded in 7 days then that post will be left up there.

i like it.........

whatever we want to call it..........kind of like getting your picture hung in the post office for a while

.........or am i being to old and nobody knows what i am talking about?
More

Offline Lanx

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:33:46 »
even young scammers will probably use a PO box, so i think you're good on being relevant.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 19:12:21 »

I was talking about something very similar to this with someone today.

I get PM'ed about crappy sellers all the time.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 19:58:34 »

Sounds like a good plan to me.

To be honest, having open trades (like in the classifides forum) is a privelige. No-one is making (or even encouraging) it's use. Having good rules in place makes sense, and having an agreed-upon method for safe trades is always a good idea. Even if we don't (or can't) enforce such a restriction on trading, it is a good idea to have one.

We could even call it something short, so people can say things like: WTT crazy keycaps. OGHT (Original Geek Hack Trade) only, so people will know what it means.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:41:48 »
We could even call it something short, so people can say things like: WTT crazy keycaps. OGHT (Original Geek Hack Trade) only, so people will know what it means.
GHSP (GeekHack Selfie Protection)

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:16:04 »

I was talking about something very similar to this with someone today.

I get PM'ed about crappy sellers all the time.

since our moderators have another life and not to bear down on them with more responsibilities i don't see anything wrong with having a section that will help keep the weeds out that we all can be included in watching and police. if a deal goes bad somewhat like ebay to an extent warn the seller, buyer, trader, vender.........whatever that you are going to post him to the  whatever we call it thread for unpaid, not shipped, agreed to transaction, etc. and we can move on

there is something called common sense and i think this or something ilike it whatever or whoever decides is just common sense. we're not talking about any age limits, selfie (or whatever that is), timeouts and so on.

having some kind of a checks and balance for safe trades, transactions where money is involved will only create a favorable environment that will be equal for everybody

given that if you put in place a 7 day period (per lanx- as an example) for the person to respond might create a peyton place, but at least we can run him/her off first chance before they get to someone else

dorkvader is right in that it would be hard to enforce restrictions, etc., but having something, anything in place is better than nothing

hpe1000 is right............i am not to kean on gifting transactions unless the person is already established and been here a while, especially overseas transactions..........no pun intended

as far as moderators though............we could set up a special moderator where there territory would focus on exactly what we are talking about if the thread gets out of hand so as to not impose on the others, so they can lay the lumber.

there has to be someone- the queen bee if you will to keep all the workers going in the right direction

i don't expect everybody to agree, but we should be able to pick enough brains to get something working and in place for the benefit of the whole

i'm very fond of this forum and like spamray was saying am tired of hearing people get ripped off without at least some kind of consequence. a lot of our members here are young, in school, do not have a lot of cash and some kind of checks and balance needs to be placed and enforced
More

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:21:29 »
It's not just about the time. It's about legal liability.  We do not get involved in other people's transactions for that reason.  The transactions are between the people trading stuff.  As previously mentioned, if you want protection, use other sites that offer it--and you usually pay for that protection.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:23:08 »

boom boom boom :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:25:58 »
Actually right now I need protection from myself as I'm about to buy another topre board I don't need :D

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:26:45 »
It's not just about the time. It's about legal liability.  We do not get involved in other people's transactions for that reason.  The transactions are between the people trading stuff.  As previously mentioned, if you want protection, use other sites that offer it--and you usually pay for that protection.

+1
Just trade with people who have heat /solved

Actually right now I need protection from myself as I'm about to buy another topre board I don't need :D

ROFL!!!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:44:59 »
i'll be the middle man for all trades.

just send all the stuff you want to trade to me.

i'll check it for authenticity, but be warned there is a 6 month waiting period.

BUT I AM LEGIT.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:48:02 »
i'll be the middle man for all trades.

just send all the stuff you want to trade to me.

i'll check it for authenticity, but be warned there is a 6 month waiting period.**

BUT I AM LEGIT.

**meanwhile demik opens up an ebay store selling keyboard goods

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:49:34 »
what legal liability are you referring to

alerting others in the forum that someone balked on them, so we know to stay away-- i do not understand the legal liability you are referring to-- i disagree

i do agree that the transaction is between the 2 parties involved, but we're all involved when we start getting ripped off

when we say people trading stuff...........its way MORE than that. some of these clacks sales are through the roof. i don't care what anybody says we have people that just show up for clacks and very little of anything else. i know a couple people over DT have been a little hard to find over there after receiving funds on item and not shipping yet.

the only protection that is being suggested is just alerting others that a particular party balked on them and if no moderators are involved we can police ourselves

heat is great, but that is in a perfect world

i would think something of this sort might be somewhat of an edge to keep people more honest?
More

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 23:26:55 »

alerting others in the forum that someone balked on them, so we know to stay away-- i do not understand the legal liability you are referring to-- i disagree

i do agree that the transaction is between the 2 parties involved, but we're all involved when we start getting ripped off

when we say people trading stuff...........its way MORE than that. some of these clacks sales are through the roof. i don't care what anybody says we have people that just show up for clacks and very little of anything else. i know a couple people over DT have been a little hard to find over there after receiving funds on item and not shipping yet.

the only protection that is being suggested is just alerting others that a particular party balked on them and if no moderators are involved we can police ourselves

i would think something of this sort might be somewhat of an edge to keep people more honest?

Seriously dude, the mods have said their piece. No amount of arguing is going to get them to start a blacklist.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 23:27:48 »

Seriously dude, the mods have said their piece. No amount of arguing is going to get them to start a blacklist.

That doesn't mean someone else can't start a thread that people can post if if they are having problems.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 23:29:01 »

That doesn't mean someone else can't start a thread that people can post if if they are having problems.

I was under the impression they said they'd close it if someone did.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 23:33:25 »

I was under the impression they said they'd close it if someone did.

So long as personal info is left out and it doesn't digress into a hate fest is not against any rules.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 13:18:33 »
Also I know group buys fall under the 'your on your own' category also but it seems like more and more group buys are not ending well.

Perhaps there could be some rules put in place in that area as well.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 13:21:47 »
After consulting someone who is an actual real life lawyer (teehee), I'd like to ask for no official or unofficial "scammer lists" hosted on GeekHack.org, please (this is also for the related thread that came up at the same time about a scammer).   Continue to exercise the "Caveat Emptor" clause and do your due diligence in researching the people you conduct trades with.  There are tools like heatware, eBay feedback you can request, etc.  If uncertain and can't afford to lose money--just don't deal with a person you are uncertain in.  Or buy from authorized resellers.

We will post the new Classifieds rules soon, and hopefully they will be to your liking.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 13:56:43 »
After consulting someone who is an actual real life lawyer (teehee), I'd like to ask for no official or unofficial "scammer lists" hosted on GeekHack.org, please (this is also for the related thread that came up at the same time about a scammer).   Continue to exercise the "Caveat Emptor" clause and do your due diligence in researching the people you conduct trades with.  There are tools like heatware, eBay feedback you can request, etc.  If uncertain and can't afford to lose money--just don't deal with a person you are uncertain in.  Or buy from authorized resellers.

We will post the new Classifieds rules soon, and hopefully they will be to your liking.

Can individual users still post personal experiences in dealing with people? I mean, some people appear to be good members but are fairly deadbeat sellers, so it'd be nice if the people who deal with them and have a negative experience could at least express that to save the rest of us a headache.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 13:58:28 »
That seems reasonable to me, as long as it's that individual user posting their own personal experience about another user.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:27:24 »
Scammers are usually identified fairly quickly around here.

True -- and the responsible, low-risk organizers are also easy to spot, if you check. Caveat emptor, baby.

I'm still in favor of a bare minimum PayPal authenticity check whilst making a very, very nominal donation to GH as an entrance to the Classifieds. Then at least the seller and buyer can be verified as each having a PayPal account, and PayPal can handle any disputes. Also, it would keep children out of the Classified section. GH makes a small improvement to security, risks nothing, and makes a little money to keep the hamster wheel that runs the server turning.

Taking selfies and compiling dossiers on users -- yeah, that's going to kill Classifieds. It's probably easier to just spam 60 posts.  :thumb: 

Quote from: Photoelectric
After consulting someone who is an actual real life lawyer (teehee),
Standard points:
1. Stay inside the circle. The lawyer can do whatever it wants once you're outside the circle.
2. Don't cross the streams.
3. Never let the lawyer know your true name; that gives them power over you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:29:13 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:30:47 »
Also, it would keep children out of the Classified section.

If they can lie and get an ebay account I'm sure they can lie/steal whatever to get a paypal account.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:35:26 »

If they can lie and get an ebay account I'm sure they can lie/steal whatever to get a paypal account.

Ok, I'll amend my statement and say it would be harder for children to get into Classifieds, but not impossible. They would have to be lying, cheating, stealing children to get into Classifieds. But doesn't PayPal have some controls for this, perhaps? When you sign up for a GH account, it's free. When you decide you want to use Classifieds, you must link your PayPal email to the account. Then, in the event of an issue, GH can at least provide the relevant emails to both parties.

EDIT: Or, require a heatware account, which seem to work. Maybe there's a paid service similar to heatware?
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:37:36 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:41:25 »

Ok, I'll amend my statement and say it would be harder for children to get into Classifieds, but not impossible. They would have to be lying, cheating, stealing children to get into Classifieds. But doesn't PayPal have some controls for this, perhaps? When you sign up for a GH account, it's free. When you decide you want to use Classifieds, you must link your PayPal email to the account. Then, in the event of an issue, GH can at least provide the relevant emails to both parties.

EDIT: Or, require a heatware account, which seem to work. Maybe there's a paid service similar to heatware?

Problem with heatware is no one ever leaves feedback  :(

But new classified rules are coming, not holding my breath they will be any better but we will see.