Author Topic: Accept cryptocurrencies as donations!  (Read 4511 times)

Offline bktlr

Accept cryptocurrencies as donations!
« on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 15:09:10 »
You guys should accept cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Litecoin and Dogecoin as donations, I'd be glad to send some Doge! :D
Corsair K90 (MX red)
Quick Fire TK Stealth (MX brown)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Accept cryptocurrencies as donations!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:36:26 »
no
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:39:25 »
no

+1

/thread, nothing more to discuss here...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 17:34:34 »
DemiKoin?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 17:36:11 »
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline bktlr

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:36:56 »
I don't see why not, they can instantly be converted to USD and atleast a few people would throw in some coins.
Corsair K90 (MX red)

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:37:51 »
I don't see why not, they can instantly be converted to USD and atleast a few people would throw in some coins.

Then why not just convert them to USD and THEN donate?
tp thread is tp thread

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:50:31 »

hah! exactly what i was about to post. happy to take them as USD!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline bktlr

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 09:50:00 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement link=topic=55274.msg1240581#msg1240581 date=139

Because straight sending coins is easier, let the payment processor do the converting. If it isn't too hard to implement, why not? I checked to see if you accepted crypto, and if you did I would donate since I already have coins. It would only take me a couple of seconds, instead of having to struggle with converting to USD.

I'm just trying to help, think about it! :)
Corsair K90 (MX red)

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 10:23:23 »

Because straight sending coins is easier, let the payment processor do the converting. If it isn't too hard to implement, why not? I checked to see if you accepted crypto, and if you did I would donate since I already have coins. It would only take me a couple of seconds, instead of having to struggle with converting to USD.

I'm just trying to help, think about it! :)

So first you say converting Bitcoins to USD is instantaneous, but then you say it's not worth the struggle. Sounds like you're trying to pass the "struggle" onto us.

Can you explain to me where the logic is in this situation? Why would it be worth it to the GH admins to set up something that might only get used once or twice, especially when you could just convert them to USD and donate.

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 10:34:47 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Qualm

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 14:41:18 »
The party benefiting from the transaction should be the one with the burden of converting. Why should the admins do it... hmm... maybe for money that's being offered? I mean think about it, the easier it is to donate, the more likely people are going to do it. If that means you need to set up infrastructure for accepting it (which shouldn't take long and is, to the best of my knowledge, free), it makes sense to do so.

If I ran a site, and someone was offering me money if I accepted their currency, which is easy to convert into my own, I'd probably do it!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 15:00:09 »
The party benefiting from the transaction should be the one with the burden of converting. Why should the admins do it... hmm... maybe for money that's being offered? I mean think about it, the easier it is to donate, the more likely people are going to do it. If that means you need to set up infrastructure for accepting it (which shouldn't take long and is, to the best of my knowledge, free), it makes sense to do so.

If I ran a site, and someone was offering me money if I accepted their currency, which is easy to convert into my own, I'd probably do it!

It's up to the site admins whether or not they'll implement this into the donation system, but judging by the fact that mkawa (and several other community members) already made his position quite clear, I don't think this is going to happen. If you guys actually think it will be beneficial to the GH community, come up with a better argument, and try to convince us.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 15:00:22 »
I dunno. If I were making a donation to whatever cause, I would make the donation in the currency and form they are used to accepting.

@bktlr, if you want to donate some Doge to GH, you can send it to me, and I will make the equivalent USD donation to GH via Paypal, and provide proof of donation.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 21:49:52 »
I dunno. If I were making a donation to whatever cause, I would make the donation in the currency and form they are used to accepting.

@bktlr, if you want to donate some Doge to GH, you can send it to me, and I will make the equivalent USD donation to GH via Paypal, and provide proof of donation.

I will vouch for JD.  He is a very upstanding person and a very valuable asset to the community.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline bktlr

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 05:19:08 »

Thanks for the offer, but it appears that the GH admins don't want free money, so I wont send them any, atleast not now.
Corsair K90 (MX red)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 06:46:26 »

Thanks for the offer, but it appears that the GH admins don't want free money, so I wont send them any, atleast not now.

Okay, well you can still donate to me then...I'm a good cause! ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 13:47:28 »
i literally have no idea how to take these various kinds of currency, nor how to convert them. unless you'd like like to donate thousands of USD, I'd rather spend my time helping people use the site, learn the various skills we emphasize on the site, etc. i am eternally grateful for any donations, but i would need an instruction guide to take these newfangled coiny things, and that kind of makes it a less useful donation than the national standard currency that i usually deal with :P

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 14:01:16 »

Someone offers to help you make the donation you so desperately claim to want to make, someone who is very kind, generous, and sincere, and you turn him down? And for what? Because this site doesn't accept some random online munnies? Wow.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 20:14:39 »
if i can't have it my way then boohoo nobody can!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 03:45:24 »
If the receiver has to jump through hoops to receive your "gift", then IT IS NOT A GIFT!

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 22:15:23 »
As someone who keeps up-to-date on cryptocurrency: I'm not sure why you'd turn down a trusted forum member for free escrow if you're as committed as you say you are, given this is often how successful transactions work out--successful transactions that convince admins to accept cryptocoins in the longer term, as they themselves are convinced of the benefits, versus someone telling them they're backward for not taking the risk.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline Findecanor