Author Topic: Newly-implemented changes to the Classifieds Rules. Please have a look!  (Read 98707 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Newly-implemented changes to the Classifieds Rules. Please have a look!
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 12:08:55 »
Give them deadlines

then theyll do what you say

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #251 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 15:12:30 »
and all the chitchat in the threads should those be MA'ed too?  Or just left alone since the rules state they "maybe" removed.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #252 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 04:41:08 »

Do we need to put GeekHack on the sticky note?

Just write what you call it on reddit all the time 'GeekWhack'

this is my favourite post ever
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline avtar

« Reply #253 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 19:16:39 »

Harsh tokes...

I'm assuming a witty response will get posted at /r/ripster.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #254 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 19:26:55 »

Harsh tokes...

I'm assuming a witty response will get posted at /r/ripster.

If by witty you mean juvenile and pathetic, then probably.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #255 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:17:52 »
Are the new rules scaring people away from creating new classified threads?

I opened one WTS thread about a custom keycap and scrolled through the posts to update myself on the status of the sale.

All of the posts were about unrelated trades that had taken place days before - presumably the thread was originally a WTT thread.

The rules state that old threads should be closed once the transaction has been brought to a conclusion.

Is this sort of thing going to be enforced?  or encouraged?  Or it is just a recommendation?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:23:58 »

I opened one WTS thread about a custom keycap and scrolled through the posts to update myself on the status of the sale.

All of the posts were about unrelated trades that had taken place days before - presumably the thread was originally a WTT thread.

The rules state that old threads should be closed once the transaction has been brought to a conclusion.

Is this sort of thing going to be enforced?  or encouraged?  Or it is just a recommendation?

Apparently you should NOT make new threads and instead reuse the same thread over and over.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #257 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:24:51 »

We can't control it, so the rules don't explicitly state it.  We can say "don't delete any content, just cross out what's been sold and lock your thread once it's finished", but then some people still will, and we can't restore deleted information.  Some people are attached to very long-standing threads, and it appears to be an individual preference.  Nothing's changed in that respect.  Those who like long threads keep them long, and those who just sell and forget still do that.

Pacifist: that is not true and is not written anywhere.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #258 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:26:00 »

We can't control it, so the rules don't explicitly state it.  We can say "don't delete any content, just cross out what's been sold and lock your thread once it's finished", but then some people still will, and we can't restore deleted information.  Some people are attached to very long-standing threads, and it appears to be an individual preference.  Nothing's changed in that respect.  Those who like long threads keep them long, and those who just sell and forget still do that.

Pacifist: that is not true and is not written anywhere.

Then why was there a massive **** fest when these rules were beginning to be implemented in which my thread was completely deleted without prior notice and I lost all the text I typed?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:27:58 »
I don't remember that exactly anymore, but I think it had more to do with you reposting a new thread every couple days for a while, relisting some of the same items that were listed in your older (but still very recent) threads.  That's a different situation.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #260 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:30:23 »
I don't remember that exactly anymore, but I think it had more to do with you reposting a new thread every couple days for a while, relisting some of the same items that were listed in your older (but still very recent) threads.  That's a different situation.

1. The new thread was after around a month, and I didn't bump them for at least two weeks each time before the new fresh thread

2. Items were relisted yes, but only one or two after selling two or more items and removing 66% of the WTB items

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:34:16 »
Your reposts were reported by others, and when we evaluated the differences between the threads you abandoned and the threads you started, they were very similar and both very recent, so it made sense to ask you to proceed with the old one at the time.  It's all case-by-case.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:34:17 »

Fair enough.  I was just confused reading the apparent "WTS keycap" thread and all the posts were about trading hardware.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:35:53 »

Fair enough.  I was just confused reading the apparent "WTS keycap" thread and all the posts were about trading hardware.

All the information about the actual sale/trade stuff is supposed to be in the very fist post, with a thread title to reflect that information.  If you see that the thread titles are not up-to-date, or that the first posts are not up-to-date and people are trying to add stuff on page 10, feel free to report those threads to our attention.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #264 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 22:37:06 »

All the information about the actual sale/trade stuff is supposed to be in the very fist post, with a thread title to reflect that information.  If you see that the thread titles are not up-to-date, or that the first posts are not up-to-date and people are trying to add stuff on page 10, feel free to report those threads to our attention.

That's fine then - in this instance the thread title and first post were consistent.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:05:51 »
Whats stopping me from buying 50 exact same keyboards, listing them 1 by 1, with different photos, and after each one is sold, mark it as sold, and start a new thread with everything exactly the same except for a different photo to show that I am selling a completely separate keyboard? Technically doing this fits under:

Close old threads once the transactions are complete (i.e., payment has been made and the item(s) have been shipped and received).

But then if you apply

If you have multiple items to buy or sell simultaneously, one unified thread is highly encouraged

What happens if I get the keyboards separately and at every single point in time I only have 1 keyboard on hand? So at every second I do not have multiple items to sell, just one.

Now yea, you can say use one thread and unlock it each time I get a new keyboard in my possession, but technically there is no rule saying I can't have 49 closed and locked threads with unique items that have been sold and having a 50th thread with the current (still unique from all the other items) keyboard. Each thread is selling a completely unique item--possibly used keyboards in varying conditions and thus to keep things fair are listed separately AND I get the keyboards from a source one by one, or I have all on hand but only feel like having 1 on the market for sale at a time.

Why I ask this is when people see a new thread with 0 replies, they will click on it more often than a thread with 50 replies because it looks like it was newly listed and there is a possible good deal that nobody else has seen yet.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:10:09 »
The rules are made to regulate the average sales.  There will be deviations from the norm, some extreme.  The extreme deviations are by definition very uncommon.  They will get evaluated individually.  If you just want to argue semantics, I'm sure you could find a hypothetical loophole for every rule, which is just an intellectual exercise, and in practice we'll just do what seems most logical and correct for that situation.

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:10:23 »
Use the title to show changes by putting a datestamp on it?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #268 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:26:56 »
The rules are made to regulate the average sales.  There will be deviations from the norm, some extreme.  The extreme deviations are by definition very uncommon.  They will get evaluated individually.  If you just want to argue semantics, I'm sure you could find a hypothetical loophole for every rule, which is just an intellectual exercise, and in practice we'll just do what seems most logical and correct for that situation.

Fair enough. But the rules should apply to all people using the classifieds subforum, and having individual evaluations with case by case rules is counterintuitive to having these general rules. Individual evaluations definitely should happen, but the mods should decide what to do based upon rules that are already set in stone and publicly known to everybody.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #269 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:36:07 »

Fair enough. But the rules should apply to all people using the classifieds subforum, and having individual evaluations with case by case rules is counterintuitive to having these general rules. Individual evaluations definitely should happen, but the mods should decide what to do based upon rules that are already set in stone and publicly known to everybody.

That's what we try to do already. I was just insinuating that to have a rule for every situation, we'd be adding amendments and clauses and clarifications all day long for every guideline on the list.  But it's not a programming code with automated moderation, so all we need is common sense guidelines.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #270 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:37:34 »

That's what we try to do already. I was just insinuating that to have a rule for every situation, we'd be adding amendments and clauses and clarifications all day long for every guideline on the list.  But it's not a programming code with automated moderation, so all we need is common sense guidelines.

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 23:39:07 »
all we need is common sense

Too bad we can't bottle it and sell it. :D

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 20:52:08 »
We've had the new name with picture rule for a while now. Why are sellers still allowed to bump and sell things in their thread without doing so? Seems like they've been told to do so, but some sellers never actually do change their pictures, yet they still bump their threads daily

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 20:57:53 »
We've had the new name with picture rule for a while now. Why are sellers still allowed to bump and sell things in their thread without doing so? Seems like they've been told to do so, but some sellers never actually do change their pictures, yet they still bump their threads daily

There are some that were grandfathered in since they're unchanged (from my understanding).  Others are getting reprimands from Photoelectric.  Regardless, it's a lot of work to keep the older threads straight, especially if people don't report them.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 20:59:42 »

There are some that were grandfathered in since they're unchanged (from my understanding).  Others are getting reprimands from Photoelectric.  Regardless, it's a lot of work to keep the older threads straight, especially if people don't report them.

But if the mods instituted some kind of time out where they lock the thread until the seller updates the photos, that would prevent those who just sit there and instead of taking photos bump their thread

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #275 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:07:44 »
If wishes were fishes.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #276 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:08:31 »
Maybe pacifist should become a mod?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #277 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:40:56 »

But if the mods instituted some kind of time out where they lock the thread until the seller updates the photos, that would prevent those who just sit there and instead of taking photos bump their thread

Well they could do like most places and automatically delete threads without warning if they don't follow the rules.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:52:11 »
Waiting on an Unapprove option to become available, which will make post compliance much easier to achieve.  Right now it's a fair amount of manual work.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 22:26:22 »

I'm sorry but what is your problem, exactly?  Geekhack was here long before either of us and it functioned perfectly fine without that rule.  Why do you care so much?  Do you think they are trying to scam you?  If you don't like their posts, then don't buy from them.  There was a time when the only rule here was CAVEAT EMPTOR, and the mods will still quote that back to you if something goes wrong.

To the moderators: what problem are you trying to solve, exactly?  I don't know of a single occurrence of a Geekhack member being scammed that could have been prevented with a verification shot.  There was no epidemic of misleading photos on the classifieds.  Everyone was pretty honest about the things they were selling.  They still are.  So why make a new rule and start harassing everyone about it?  You're like Congress, making new rules for the sake making new rules.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 22:39:57 »

I'm sorry but what is your problem, exactly?  Geekhack was here long before either of us and it functioned perfectly fine without that rule.  Why do you care so much?  Do you think they are trying to scam you?  If you don't like their posts, then don't buy from them.  There was a time when the only rule here was CAVEAT EMPTOR, and the mods will still quote that back to you if something goes wrong.

If I have to spend extra time getting a sticky note and writing down the date and username, then everybody else should too.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 22:45:27 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #282 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 04:36:30 »

Well they could do like most places and automatically delete threads without warning if they don't follow the rules.

Another forum I am a member of does this in their classifieds.  If you don't post clear, accessible pictures of the actual item for sale, then the thread is locked without further notice.  The seller has to create another thread with actual pictures if they still want to sell.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #283 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 01:00:21 »

To the moderators: what problem are you trying to solve, exactly?  I don't know of a single occurrence of a Geekhack member being scammed that could have been prevented with a verification shot.  There was no epidemic of misleading photos on the classifieds.  Everyone was pretty honest about the things they were selling.  They still are.  So why make a new rule and start harassing everyone about it?  You're like Congress, making new rules for the sake making new rules.

if they're making up this rule, then everyone should have to follow it regardless of their "status" on these forums.
If i have to go back and take these pictures and what not, everyone should have to.

Now your point to the mod team is the real key of this issue, not your attack on Pacifist who i agree 100% with.
I don't see the point of having this rule if its not enforced, the items in question are still posted or shown in the sell thread.
That's not stopping someone from selling even without pictures.

duc_nckt is still selling his clacks without name/date in pictures but his thread's still up for the month now.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #284 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 01:08:38 »
On my WTB thread in the classifieds I was able to delete my own comments a few days ago. Now that option is no longer there?

I was only deleting my old bumps so that I didn't start to build up  pages of them.  Is there a reason why I'm no longer able to delete them?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #285 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 07:49:07 »
On my WTB thread in the classifieds I was able to delete my own comments a few days ago. Now that option is no longer there?

I was only deleting my old bumps so that I didn't start to build up  pages of them.  Is there a reason why I'm no longer able to delete them?

I would guess they don't want people cheating the system.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #286 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 08:14:22 »

What do you mean by cheating the system?

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #287 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 08:45:38 »
As I'd pointed out in my sale thread, the instructions for what should be in ad pictures is subject to interpretation.

Include clear photographs of your items (in good light -- no blurry night-time “potato shots”) along with your Geekhack.org user name and the date the photograph was taken.

I went to a fair amount of trouble to watermark each picture I'd taken, to include my username and the date the picture was taken.  Plus, I included a Tarzan novel in each picture, or related novel.  Only to be told that wasn't acceptable, that it needed to be a handwritten note.  Wtf.  How do my pictures NOT include the requested information?  Where does it say watermarks or digital labels are not acceptable?

Looking at other sale threads, I've seen at least one that just had a GeekHack badge hanging in the picture (not handwritten or anything).  If this is going to be a rule enforced for sale threads, at least be specific about the requirements, don't leave it up to interpretation.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #288 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 10:44:41 »
Will revise to clarify.  It doesn't matter if the username and date are handwritten or printed on something, as long as what they were placed on is physically present next to the items when you take your photographs.  Proof of ownership is the goal. You could even put today's newspaper cover and a name tag next to your goods if you feel like being creative.

EDIT: revised.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 May 2014, 11:26:26 by Photoelectric »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #289 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 12:47:10 »

Before you could just delete your last post then repost therefore bypassing 24hr bumps.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #290 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 16:51:49 »

Before you could just delete your last post then repost therefore bypassing 24hr bumps.

Yeah, but wouldn't the mods be able to see if someone was doing that?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #291 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 16:54:04 »

¯\(°_o)/¯

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #292 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 14:55:48 »
So can we not reuse old threads? We have to close them and start new ones??

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #293 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 14:58:49 »

actually, we can't. that data is not logged.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #294 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 15:01:10 »
in theory, as long as you consistently follow the guidelines, reusing old threads is fine. however, what we see with megathreads is that people wipe out old information quickly, do not keep everything in sync, and some posters have been downright nasty and insulting to staffmembers when contacted about it. that latter part is not acceptable in any way shape or form.

we are discussing whether to allow reusing old threads or not just based on mod team's ability to enforce the rules within their the envelope of their time and attention.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #295 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 15:04:16 »
in theory, as long as you consistently follow the guidelines, reusing old threads is fine. however, what we see with megathreads is that people wipe out old information quickly, do not keep everything in sync, and some posters have been downright nasty and insulting to staffmembers when contacted about it. that latter part is not acceptable in any way shape or form.

we are discussing whether to allow reusing old threads or not just based on mod team's ability to enforce the rules within their the envelope of their time and attention.

Just curious since in the following post the user was instructed to close the thread and start a new one.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45727.msg1320348#msg1320348

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #296 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 15:06:30 »
Have the terms of service for the site as a whole changed? Or are the rules just for the lowliest of us, and the moderating staff mute/ban who they want without any reason?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #297 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 15:17:48 »
Have the terms of service for the site as a whole changed? Or are the rules just for the lowliest of us, and the moderating staff mute/ban who they want without any reason?

This question might seem inflammatory, and this might not be the right place to discuss it, but I'm kinda wondering the same thing.

Right now, it feels a lot like dissenters randomly disappear without word or warning. Some transparency around mutes/bans/etc. – even a read-only thread – would go a long way and lead to less backlash.

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #298 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 10:18:52 »
I have tried posting to the classifieds three times now, and it still is not showing up!  :'(

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #299 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 10:43:57 »
I have tried posting to the classifieds three times now, and it still is not showing up!  :'(

because it needs to be approved first