Author Topic: Wooden wrist wrests for my QFR and GH60  (Read 8772 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Wooden wrist wrests for my QFR and GH60
« on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 18:17:43 »
I was inspired by The_Beast's wooden wrist wrests to make some of my own.  When I was out looking for wood, I came across a piece of Red Gum and Pao Amarello that I couldn't pass up.

The Pau Amarello had this stunning striping effect going on in it that wasn't present in any of the other pieces:

so I'm making one for a for my QFR and one for my GH60 or Pure.

The Red Gum had these awesome colors and beautiful grain that I haven't seen in it often, so I had to have it:

I cut them down to size, cut a 10 degree angle on the edge, took them to the belt sander, and used a palm sander to put a nice curve on the edges.

Not 100% done yet, but here they are finished in Danish Oil. 

Red Gum:

Pau Amarello:

And with the QFR (not the best of pics, but you get the idea):

The gum isn't actually that dark, I just don't have great lighting.  The first pic without the keyboard is more accurate.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 19:15:07 by nubbinator »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Wooden wrist wrests for my QFR and GH60
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 18:25:50 »
They look nothing less than amazing!

Extremely nice work :D
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 18:43:09 »
Thanks, that means something after seeing your sexy wrests. 

Offline megaxpop

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 23:36:16 »
how much 4 this!!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 00:00:28 »
how much 4 this!!

The Pao Amarello is not for sale.  If I could find a piece of wood like that again, I could make you one.  The Red Gum I could make you one pretty easily or could sell you the one I have once I refinish it (wasn't 100% happy with how it turned out).  Just shoot me a PM.

Offline pr1me

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 01:49:20 »

Show Image

If i may ask, where are those colored modifier from ?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 02:08:48 »
The GMK group buy.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:55:00 »
I did two more 60% wrist wrests.   The finish isn't quite complete yet, but it's getting there.  It should be about another week or two before it's completely done and dry enough to use.  One is 4 1/2" wide and the other 5" wide and both have a ~10 degree angle on them

I did a technique that's often used with guitars on it.  I took my Curly Maple, dyed it a dark color (black in this case), sanded the heck out of it, then applied a lighter color (red) over it.  Once it dried, I did two sets of two coats of Deft Danish Oil, wiping the first off after 30 minutes, waiting an hour, then doing a second coat and, again, wiping it off after 30 minutes, then repeated 24 hours later.  I'll be doing it once more today and am debating finishing it with Carnuba wax or just leaving it as is.  I should be able to get a higher gloss finish out of the wax than the varnish in the Danish Oil.

« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:01:15 by nubbinator »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:44:53 »
I did two more 60% wrist wrests.   The finish isn't quite complete yet, but it's getting there.  It should be about another week or two before it's completely done and dry enough to use.  One is 4 1/2" wide and the other 5" wide and both have a ~10 degree angle on them

I did a technique that's often used with guitars on it.  I took my Curly Maple, dyed it a dark color (black in this case), sanded the heck out of it, then applied a lighter color (red) over it.  Once it dried, I did two sets of two coats of Deft Danish Oil, wiping the first off after 30 minutes, waiting an hour, then doing a second coat and, again, wiping it off after 30 minutes, then repeated 24 hours later.  I'll be doing it once more today and am debating finishing it with Carnuba wax or just leaving it as is.  I should be able to get a higher gloss finish out of the wax than the varnish in the Danish Oil.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hot damn...that's sexy as hell!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:08:54 »
Thanks.  I can't wait to finish them completely and get to using one.  They're fun, but messy, to make.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 16:12:15 »
Wow good work. I think I need to save up and do a batch order of goodies from you.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:46:34 »
Maybe so.  I'm not planning on making a ton of things like this, I just wanted to make some for myself since I had the time and love playing around in the wood shop.  I wish I could photograph the wrest better though since it's so much cooler looking in person.  I absolutely love the two tone dye technique and want to try it out with some other colors.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:48:27 »
Maybe so.  I'm not planning on making a ton of things like this, I just wanted to make some for myself since I had the time and love playing around in the wood shop.  I wish I could photograph the wrest better though since it's so much cooler looking in person.  I absolutely love the two tone dye technique and want to try it out with some other colors.

I finally watched that video you sent me. Looks good and it's given me a lot of ideas! Now I just need a piece of tiger maple to test it on
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:49:08 »
hubba hubba, care for a hand with those? :))
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 17:49:35 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

damn, those look amazing

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:10:05 »
I finally watched that video you sent me. Looks good and it's given me a lot of ideas! Now I just need a piece of tiger maple to test it on

It's a fun technique.  When you sand the darker dye, you really don't expect it to turn out like mine did when you put on the lighter dye, but it does.  It really looks awesome, more so in person.  I also happen to think that it makes knots in the wood look gorgeous.  It looks great on heavily figured wood, but I just love the knot.

And if those sell well, I expect a free Beast wrist wrest for introducing you to a cool new technique ;)

hubba hubba, care for a hand with those? :))

Haha, maybe.  Your hand and caps crack me up, in a good way. 

damn, those look amazing

Thanks.  I can't wait until they're completely done and I get to start using one with my 60%.

Offline dagdrivaren

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 01:53:22 »
I followed you here from another thread nubbinator. I was impressed with the wrist rests and am considering trying to fiddle with that myself. Try to make my own. I've gotten this urge lately to try to use my hands and also do some (very very basic) carpentry (is that the word?) Unfortunately I've got about zero experience. Oh well. In any case I was wondering about how and with what tools you made the angle (the pictures don't show this well, but I think you do it at least) on the rests. The one that starts about half-way in or something and fades. Hope you know what I mean, I'm not sure how to frase it.
Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless (brown switches)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 08:58:11 »
You can use a table saw or band saw to do the angles, just be careful. 

Offline blackbox

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 01:23:30 »
That wrist wrest is beatiful. How long did it take to make it?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 06:24:11 »
This thread is a blast from the past. I pretty much use mine every day :D

It has held up very well.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 08:55:48 »
That wrist wrest is beatiful. How long did it take to make it?

Which one?  The simple ones at the top took a lot less time than the black and red dyed one or the ones I've inlaid a strip of another kind of wood in.  It also takes a lot less time if you make several at once.  If you're just doing one, it will take a couple of days, at least if you want to give it a proper finish.  To just make one of the natural ones without finish shouldn't take you more than two hours, and that's with the set up time for each step and sanding.  The dyed ones take longer since you have to apply the dye, sand it, apply the dye, finish it.