Author Topic: Truly Ergonomic - First Impressions  (Read 23953 times)

Offline Tezkat

Truly Ergonomic - First Impressions
« on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 19:03:08 »
Hey all!

I purchased a Truly Ergonomic keyboard based in no small part on comments and reviews here on geekhack. (Thanks, guys!) I spend a large chunk of my day on the PC either writing, coding, or gaming. I've had some mild RSI issues over the years, and I've mainly been using the MS Natural line of keyboards in its various incarnations over the past two decades.

I ordered the 109 key TECK on January 23rd. After almost two weeks of silence, it finally shipped last Friday and arrived yesterday afternoon (February 8th). And my account on their website still lists my order as "Pending".  Their communication needs work. Seriously.

So I've had about a day to play with it now. Plenty of writing. Heck, I'm typing this post on it right now! I also played a bunch of StarCraft 2 to experiment with new hotkey setups that might take advantage of all the new keys at my fingertips. (Split keyboard configurations really starve you for keys in RTS games, and SC2 is easily the most keyboard APM intensive game in my library.) Obviously, that isn't enough time to fully evaluate the keyboard, but it has allowed me to shape some initial impressions, many of which echo what others here have posted.

First impressions...

Build quality feels very solid. It's surprisingly hefty for such a small keyboard. I love the compactness, as it allows me to place my mouse in a more comfortable position next to it on the keyboard tray.

The wrist rest is solid and pretty comfy. I haven't tried removing it yet (and frankly don't see why I'd want to...).

Cherry Browns are utterly delightful to type on. Why do I even tolerate non-mechanical switches? The market needs more selection in mechanical ergo keyoards...

The curved matrix layout is quite comfortable to use overall, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly I've taken to it. The wrist rest and key shape/layout largely compensate for the flat design. (Coming off years of using angled boards that made me hate regular keyboards, that was a concern I was happy to find unjustified.)

My typing accuracy has admittedly taken a bit of a hit, but I mostly attribute that to the matrix layout punishing bad habits I've developed over the years. After a day of practice, I'm starting to get the hang of the layout, and my WPM should be back to normal once I unlearn some of the problem keypresses.

I'm rapidly coming to enjoy the new Backspace key. Given my reduced typing accuracy during this transition, it's seeing a lot of use. It's quite accessible as a finger key (though I found myself happily using it as a thumb key for the gaming tests). The Tab key is nice, too, although that's proving a little harder to get used to.

The new Shift key position will take some practice, but I don't dislike it at all. Given the curved distribution of the rows, it actually feels fairly natural. Accessing the bottom row does feel bit weird, but only the Z and quote marks are hard to modify. The Caps Lock key is honestly a waste of premium real estate on most keyboards, and the increased accessibility of the Ctrl keys is a big plus. One minor complaint: The key itself feels like it's shaped wrong. It's slightly raised and angled back relative to the adjacent letter keys, which makes it feel a bit high for my pinkies. The difference is especially noticeable with a gaming style Shift-WASD home position. I figure  they may have been trying to lower the number of custom keycaps needed, but there's really no excuse for that at this price point.

I dislike the Alt keys. The shape and layout make reaching those corner keys unpleasant, especially as pinky based modifiers, and using them as such requires significant hand movement. Perhaps they should have swapped the positions of the Alt and directional keys. The latter are too unwieldy to use as thumb buttons without repositioning the whole hand anyway, and I suspect that many of us are already quite used to using Alt as a thumb key. In its current position, Alt-Tab is not a comfortable stretch. Neither is Alt-Shift, though I suspect that one might be slightly more workable with the oversized Alt on the 104/105. For people who use such key combinations on a regular basis, that's a fairly significant concern. (Disclaimer: I have kinda small hands. Your mileage may vary...)

Why oh why did they not slope the Enter key forward like the spacebars? Although I can definitely see myself getting used to a thumb based Enter, my thumb is hitting the hard edge of the key instead of the top, which is decidedly uncomfortable. I found myself occasionally swivelling to whack it with my right index finger instead.

At this price, I'd normally expect a USB hub.

The current lack of programming software makes it feel like an incomplete product, especially with the 109 keyboard having four buttons that don't do anything out of the box.

Remappings with which I'm currently experimenting...

Left Space to Enter. I'm liking this. Much more comfortable.

Enter to Alt. The central thumb button is an excellent place for a modifier accessible from both hands, although it still suffers from the shape/comfort issue mentioned above.

I'll probably be keeping the 2nd central key as Delete, but the desire to switch it back to its labelled quote function is growing. The regular '/" key is proving difficult to get used to, and it's not easy to modify with the right shift key.

I'm still not sure what I'll end up doing with the corner keys. Probably a few accented letters for easier typing in French. Depending on how I eventually feel about the new brace key positions, single keypress access to curled braces for coding is also a contender.

I might also move the / key back to the right side of the keyboard (either bottom corner or replacing the quote marks where it's supposed to be), since having it so far away from the brackets is annoying for using any kind of markup language.

The verdict...

Despite a few notable shortcomings and a company that desperately needs to get their act together, I'd rate my overall first impression of the keyboard as positive. Comfort and quality wise, it blows the MS Natural keyboards away. My experience with the higher end ergo keyboards is very limited, so I can't offer much comparison with its direct competitors like the Kinesis. Although it's certainly the most expensive keyboard I've purchased for a PC, I'm inclined to think it's reasonably good value for an ergonomic tool I'll be using every day. On the other hand, it's sufficiently different from other keyboards that I could foresee needing more than one to support multiple computers once I'm used to it, and that could get uncomfortably expensive rather quickly.

Offline Tezkat

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 19:09:11 »
Quote from: ripster;510591
Welcome to Geekhack.

I will now stand back as half of Geekhack accuses you of being a shill.

If they're planning to pay me for this, I hope the cheque doesn't take anywhere near as long to get to me as the keyboard did. ^.^

Offline dzd

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 February 2012, 02:42:27 »
I've had mine about a a week now, and I like it alot too. I haven't used it much yet (some challenges with getting up to speed on it and the nasty outgassing fumes). But I think it will likely become my main kb.

I like the shape too - it's a simple shape with some nice curves. It imparts a more organic flavor than the typical kb.

I can see maybe getting more in the future - $ ouch! $  Let's hope they drop in price a bit.

Of course, I am also eagerly awaiting all the other promised and rumored future features.  :)

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 February 2012, 23:41:45 »
I'm trying to get used to mine, but my god, the apostrophe is NOT supposed to move :/

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 00:52:40 »
Quote from: obra;512985
I'm trying to get used to mine, but my god, the apostrophe is NOT supposed to move :/

Same with question-mark.

Offline boli

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 01:14:09 »

Well you could move the /? key back to the normal position, and '" to the top left, but I think that wouldn't make sense in the long run, assuming the ' is used much more often.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Tezkat

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 01:21:56 »
Heh. I finally got fed up about the /? key and moved it over to replace the bottom right apostrophe key where it belongs, so now the middle button above the tab is back on its labelled punctuation duties. It's actually not a bad place for the apostrophe, at least for typing in English with a QWERTY layout, since 'T is one of the most common combinations and available with a quick finger roll. While it's not as ideal for other languages, I suppose that's the best place for it given that its usual spot next to the semicolon is unavailable.

I also decided to make the bottom corners into extra modifier keys. In particular, I've set them to access the keypad without having to turn NumLock on, which is a feature I consider essential for productive use of any tenkeyless board. I hope the programming software, if and when it's released, will support such combinations.

I decided to go all in and have been using the TECK as my sole home keyboard since it arrived. I'm impressed by how quickly it started feeling natural. (Also... best SC2 hotkey setup evar!)

Although I still don't feel that their position is optimal, I quite like the fact that the directional keys are accessible without too much hand movement. Having the arrows in a standard 4 way layout is one of my requirements for a keyboard. (Laying them out in a row is something I really hate about a lot of laptop keyboards--and one of the reasons many other ergo boards haven't been under consideration). On the other hand, that very feature largely precludes their use as thumb buttons, at least for my hands. If there's one thing the TECK could use more of, it's thumb buttons. Which is interesting, as most of the previous prototypes this guy patented had thumb buttons galore. I suspect a lot of the design decisions that went into the final production model were based more on aesthetics and cost control than functionality or ergonomics, whis is a pity.

I think that, if I were to buy a second one, I'd go with the 105 instead of the 109. I purchased the latter worried about the lack of keys (and also because I wanted the - and + keys in their normal place), but I've been finding that the corner keys are kinda difficult/uncomfortable to reach in this layout anyway (significantly more so than with my curved MS Natural boards). And with the extra programmed modifiers, the lack of keys isn't a huge concern. Big    corner buttons would probably be easier to hit.

However, I don't plan to support them with additional purchases until they demonstrate some evidence of being able to support their products. That means the promised programming software at the very least. I'm also holding out until I see what happens with those RMA requests. Thankfully, aside from a slightly squeaky shift key, everything is working as it should. But there's no telling when something might fail, and t   his is far too expensive a product to throw money at something they can't/won't fix.

I'm afraid I'm not really holding my breath on the prospect a price decrease, though. They sold out of their initial run almost instantly, and we all know what happens to prices when demand exceeds supply...

It's too bad. I think that, at under $200, I'd merely consider this keyboard to be a premium accessory and wouldn't think twice about buying one for each computer. But they priced it above the magic threshold which, for me makes it a specialty product for which incremental changes in price matter less than being able to put the best possible product in front of me.

As it is, I paid nearly $300 for this thing including HST and shipping. At that price, I could probably just hack together my own keyboard, which would be perfectly laid out and programmed just the way I wanted. (I can't believe it... not five days after getting my paws on such an expensive keyboard, and I'm already pondering blowing another few hundred bucks to build a new one. Damn you, geekhack! Damn you!!!)

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 06:37:40 »
Quote from: Tezkat;513044
As it is, I paid nearly $300 for this thing including HST and shipping. At that price, I could probably just hack together my own keyboard, which would be perfectly laid out and programmed just the way I wanted. (I can't believe it... not five days after getting my paws on such an expensive keyboard, and I'm already pondering blowing another few hundred bucks to build a new one. Damn you, geekhack! Damn you!!!)

You should check out the ErgoDox keyboard in this thread. Dox has a design similar to the TE, but split, and a lot of people are hoping to get it under $300, but AFAIK to get that we will need a bunch of people in order to get good volume discounting.

Offline boli

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 07:34:56 »
Also the ErgoDox has just as many thumb keys as the Kinesis - the number one feature I miss from the TE. :)
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout

Offline Tracer

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 11:50:22 »
Just got my 109 model with blank keys. OMG is matrix layout hard to get used to. I also can't wait for the remapping software.

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 12:45:57 »
Quote from: Tracer;513302
Just got my 109 model with blank keys. OMG is matrix layout hard to get used to. I also can't wait for the remapping software.

No doubt! The shift placement was throwing me off a lot but almost equally bad is that I'm accustomed to using my index finger to press c. This doesn't work too well on a non-staggered layout!

Offline sordna

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 13:07:03 »
Quote from: ripster;510591
Welcome to Geekhack.

I will now stand back as half of Geekhack accuses you of being a shill.

Nah, shills are easily recognizable by:
1) Repeatedly singing a keyboard's praises months before it ships
2) Comparing its price with competitors' highest possibly priced model variants to portray a price difference when there is practically none
3) Spreading FUD about competitor keyboards with false/misleading "problems" about them
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline boli

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 13:18:43 »
Quote from: Tracer;513302
Quote from: heuristicist;513321
No doubt! The shift placement was throwing me off a lot but almost equally bad is that I'm accustomed to using my index finger to press c. This doesn't work too well on a non-staggered layout!

I'd definitely recommend taking this opportunity to fix any bad habits such as this. :)

And don't worry, you'll get used to the straight columns in time and most likely love it. Do you have more trouble with your left or right hand? Top row or bottom row? I'd guess left hand, because that's the hand that suffered most from the staggered rows you're used to. You probably didn't have any trouble using a numpad with your right hand, and that's matrix layout as well.

Personally I was already used to the matrix layout (love it), and I'm actually starting to like the central Tab and Enter keys. Backspace still feels weird, but then I'm used to having it under my thumb. :)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 13:47:23 »
Quote from: heuristicist;513321
this was my biggest issue, took me weeks to get this taken care of.

Offline Tracer

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 14:09:53 »
Quote from: boli;513342
I'd definitely recommend taking this opportunity to fix any bad habits such as this. :)

Having used a Kensis for a while, I'm reluctant to fix bad habits due to having issues getting back onto a "standard" keyboard, like the one of my thinkpad or anybody elses computer. I already have issues with my thinkpad and the annoying placement of the Fn key.

And don't worry, you'll get used to the straight columns in time and most likely love it. Do you have more trouble with your left or right hand? Top row or bottom row? I'd guess left hand, because that's the hand that suffered most from the staggered rows you're used to. You probably didn't have any trouble using a numpad with your right hand, and that's matrix layout as well.

Correct. Left is much worse than right and the majority of issues are with the bottom row.
[/QUOTE]

Personally I was already used to the matrix layout (love it), and I'm actually starting to like the central Tab and Enter keys. Backspace still feels weird, but then I'm used to having it under my thumb. :)

I hit the Enter key EVERY TIME expecting it to be the spacebar. Sadly, I'm replying to you on a standard keyboard as I had to actually get some work done. My typing speed got reduced to 10%
Sadly, my decision to get blank layout seriously hurt the adoption speed.

Offline Tracer

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 15:05:01 »
Got sharpkeys for windows and remapped some of the boundery keys.

Ctrl to extra corner keys.
Shift to Cntrl
LShift to tab
RShift to Enter
`~ to top left key

this still leaves the \, / and ' in weird places. I think I'll remap Enter to Backspace and shift the number row over from the old ` location to 6 onward allowing me to place backspace where it belongs.

This was typed... slowly on the TE
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2012, 15:30:26 by Tracer »

Offline sordna

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 16:05:23 »
Matrix layout is great, there's a reason the numpads are in matrix layout, and we have all seen how fast folks enter numbers with them.

The same speed/comfort advantages apply to matrix layout for letters. Any serious keyboard *must* have the keys in straight columns, the silly zig-zag traditional arrangement is unnecessary and simply bad.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline boli

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 16:30:54 »
Quote from: Tracer;513381
I hit the Enter key EVERY TIME expecting it to be the spacebar.

Hmm, my thumbs naturally rest on the inside edges of the space bars, close to the Enter key, so I think I might have liked narrower space bars in favor of moving the two movements clusters one position inward, so they would be straight below the home position, making those clusters easier to access. What do you guys think?

Oh well I guess we'll (have to) get used to the way that is, unless anyone is crazy enough to attempt a mod like that. :P You never know.

Quote from: Tracer;513403

Shift to Cntrl
LShift to tab
RShift to Enter
`~ to top left key

this still leaves the \, / and ' in weird places. I think I'll remap Enter to Backspace and shift the number row over from the old ` location to 6 onward allowing me to place backspace where it belongs.

Hang in there. :)

Looks like you're getting rid of many of the differences to a regular layout. :) Depending on how you press the num row keys on a regular keyboard you might find that moving all numbers one position to the left on the TE to make switching between the TE and a regular keyboard easier. I use that setup on the Kinesis and on the TE as well, though I left the center ` key in place and have 1-6 to the left and 7 to = on the right (no backspace there for me because I have the 105 model, but I like closer backspace anyway)

Quote from: sordna;513453
there's a reason the numpads are in matrix layout

Allow me to rephrase: there is no reason for them not to be in matrix layout - no typewriter heritage. ;)

It boggles my mind that there are so few straight column keyboards out there, all because of inertia?
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2012, 16:53:57 by boli »

Offline sordna

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 16:38:35 »
Don't understand it either. The mouse evolved into mainstream alternatives (trackballs and touchpads, and tons to choose from), why has the keyboard physical layout been stagnating in the horrible late 1800's arrangement ???

I hate to say it, but it seems that only if Apple or Microsoft (but especially Apple) released a straight-column keyboard, it would start to be widely adopted.

Offline boli

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 17:02:34 »
Quote from: sordna;513477
Don't understand it either. The mouse evolved into mainstream alternatives (trackballs and touchpads, and tons to choose from), why has the keyboard physical layout been stagnating in the horrible late 1800's arrangement ???

I hate to say it, but it seems that only if Apple or Microsoft (but especially Apple) released a straight-column keyboard, it would start to be widely adopted.

While I love many of Apple's products (and some not so much) an have been using them for over a decade, even I'm skeptical they'd release something so "alien"... though I guess it could work if they did. Everyone would be weirded out at first, but if forced to stick out the initial "unusualness" it should be a success. One can dream... ^^

Edit: Wrote an email to Apple while I'm still dreaming.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2012, 18:12:39 by boli »

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 08:42:17 »

Yes, definitely my left hand that's worse, but 'c' is the big problem---the rest aren't as bad. I'm actually quite convinced that on a regular keyboard, hitting 'c' with the index finger is better. To reach it, my index finger just has to curl back whereas my middle finger has to move laterally (sometimes moving the entire hand a bit as well).

I've also found that my finger-to-key mapping tends to be dynamic. For example, instead of hitting 'rv' with my index finger twice (where if i were to press the letter on its own or in different contexts I'd use the index finger) I'll instead use my middle finger followed by my index finger. This is *much* faster than using the index finger twice, especially for such a distance. This tends to still work out (more or less) on the TE, but I imagine it will take sometime before I start doing it again if I decide to switch to Colemak...

Offline Tracer

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 08:50:54 »
I know this is kind of a weird criticism, but the wrist wrests on this keyboard make my palms sweat horribly.

Got to find a solution to this soon.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 09:14:02 »
Quote from: sordna;513453
Matrix layout is great, there's a reason the numpads are in matrix layout, and we have all seen how fast folks enter numbers with them.

The same speed/comfort advantages apply to matrix layout for letters. Any serious keyboard *must* have the keys in straight columns, the silly zig-zag traditional arrangement is unnecessary and simply bad.

I've been playing with a TypeMatrix 2020 (the old style -- hey, it was pretty cheap on Ebay) for the past week, and I rather like it. I hit instead of sometimes, but even though I have to pay a bit more attention, it's not too bad. (And it's only been a week, so I will almost certainly improve.) And it definitely feels more comfortable for my left hand -- the slant is just wrong on the left side on normal keyboards. One of these days, TrulyErgonomic, you'll end up on Ebay for me to try!

Then again,  I am getting a Unicomp buckling spring keyboard today, so it'll be really interesting switching back and forth. I plan to try the Unicomp in my office, until the boss tells me to take it home. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2012, 09:16:07 by Snarfangel »

Offline Tracer

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 09:47:33 »
Quote from: Snarfangel;514102
I am getting a Unicomp buckling spring keyboard today, so it'll be really interesting switching back and forth. I plan to try the Unicomp in my office, until the boss tells me to take it home. :)

My keyboard at home is an original IBM model M. I have to say I much prefer the Cherry MX brown's on this TE board.

Offline RTbar

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 09:55:52 »
I am having a hell of a time adjusting to this board... I'm almost ready to throw in the towel...

Offline Tracer

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 10:36:36 »
I've moved the numbers back to their original locations and am using the backspace as intended by TE.

My typing speed is up to 40% of what it was before. Improving but still frustrating.

Overall though I'm noticing much less finger movement on this keyboard that a standard one.

Offline boli

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 11:20:27 »
Quote from: RTbar;514147
I am having a hell of a time adjusting to this board... I'm almost ready to throw in the towel...

How long have you been at it? What are your particular problems? It just takes some time to shake off the many years of using a regular keyboard.

It took me 2 weeks to adjust to the Kinesis Advantage enough to be sure I wanna keep it, and I'm so glad I did. The current adjustment to the TE is much easier, as I'm already used to straight columns. Still I struggle with Tab, Backspace and Enter. I didn't even bother with the weird Shift placement and just put them back where they belong. ;) (to be fair I might have given the Shifts a shot if I had expected to stay on the TE and get a second one, but I expect I'll be going back to the Advantage after my trial)
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2012, 11:23:07 by boli »

Offline RTbar

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 22:17:20 »
About a week... I just don't want to try to adjust to it only to realize that I don't like it and the return period is up... I am struggling with the shift, alt, and control key placement, the center column, straight layout, basically everything lol... it almost seems like a more radical change like the kinesis would be easier to learn, because you wouldn't try to type on it like a normal keyboard

Offline boli

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 01:48:45 »
Quote from: RTbar;514774
About a week... I just don't want to try to adjust to it only to realize that I don't like it and the return period is up... I am struggling with the shift, alt, and control key placement, the center column, straight layout, basically everything lol...

It's up to you of course, but if you're considering a return within 30 days I would still try it as long and much as possible, say for 3 weeks with 1 week safety margin (or whatever you feel comfortable with).

Also if you can't adapt to some of the key locations there's no shame in adapting them to your liking! Moving some keys to a familiar location will allow you to focus on the changes you want to get used to, such as the matrix layout or center column.

It's sad that their remapping software isn't available, but there are alternatives (a few examples documented somewhere in this subforum). My main problem were the Shift keys, and because I still use a Kinesis at home with "normal" Shift key location I just changed them on the TE (swapped with the Ctrl keys immediately below them). With the Shifts fixed I was already able to type normal text, though I still struggled with ' and / positions as well as the center column. I decided to change ' and / too for ease of transition, but this meant losing the right Ctrl (or Command actually), which I'd rather not lose in the long run.

Another crucial change was setting the left space bar so Command. As many Mac users I used the thumb for Command for years. I think many Windows or Linux users are less accustomed to thumb use because their main modifier (Ctrl) lends itself more to pinky use, but I'm talking out of my a..rm here. What's your history in this respect?

it almost seems like a more radical change like the kinesis would be easier to learn, because you wouldn't try to type on it like a normal keyboard

Funny you should mention this. Two of my Kinesis are currently with work buddies on a test drive. One of them has a TE of his own (he used to be a TypeMatrix user), the other had my TE to give a try before I started using it last week. Both of them say the Advantage was easier to get used to than the TE. Frankly I was a bit surprised by this, because like you said the changes are more radical.

It's been 4 years since I started using the Advantage, so I don't have a direct comparison and can't confirm or deny their statement. I can say that the fingers on the Advantage can reach top or bottom row slightly easier because of the bowl shape, and they only have to stretch to the left left or right one column width at most, all the other reaching is done by the thumbs - of course the thumb keys require quite a bit of getting used to as well, but I love the thumb keys.

Update: Just had a look at your old posts and noticed you're considering a Kinesis. Don't let me stand in your way. ;) After all the Advantage still is my favorite keyboard, with the TE being the second favorite. Anything with staggered rows doesn't have a chance with me. There's nothing but training and using new equipment to get rid of old habits, so you may want to extend your TE trial a bit...
Though thinking back I quit my TypeMatrix trial after something over one week too and got a Kinesis instead. The TM was alright and is what got me hooked on straight column layouts, but I couldn't cope with its modifier key placement though (back then I didn't know how to remap modifiers in software).
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 February 2012, 02:02:29 by boli »

Offline Tracer

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 16:52:55 »
Arggg... I'm hitting a wall here. My typing speed is not improving. Trying to code at the end of a long day on this thing is haaaaard.

Offline boli

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 17:37:07 »
Give it some time, you've had it for like 2 or 3 days so far I think? :)

Not sure if the following applies here, but when learning Colemak an often cited "rule" was to focus on accuracy rather than speed. It's normal to be slow at first, and focusing on making no errors will help learn and burn in the new layout better than trying to race, which leads to frustrating mistakes and takes longer overall than typing slower but without errors.

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 00:42:42 »
Quote from: Tracer;515473
Arggg... I'm hitting a wall here. My typing speed is not improving. Trying to code at the end of a long day on this thing is haaaaard.

Maybe try it at the start of the day instead?

Offline Tracer

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 08:55:06 »
Quote from: boli;515497
Give it some time, you've had it for like 2 or 3 days so far I think? :)

What? you mean I can't get instant results without work and effort? sigh

Quote from: boli;515497
Not sure if the following applies here, but when learning Colemak an often cited "rule" was to focus on accuracy rather than speed. It's normal to be slow at first, and focusing on making no errors will help learn and burn in the new layout better than trying to race, which leads to frustrating mistakes and takes longer overall than typing slower but without errors.

This is so obvious but I never really though of approaching learning this layout like this. As of this morning this is my approach and things are already feeling better. Thanks for the virtual smack in the head.

Offline djcybermyth

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 19:41:36 »
I think I remember someone telling me about switching to the Kinesis that you should not touch any other keyboard for at least two weeks.  Wherever I heard it, that's what I've been doing with the TE 104, and after just shy of two weeks, carting it from home to work and back, I'm pretty much used to it, even using emacs!  I experimented with swapping the Alt and Ctrl keys, but quickly reverted back to the original layout just to give their "extensive research" a chance.  So far, I like the design as is.

Offline boli

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 07:01:46 »
Yeah I guess using a single type of keyboard could help with the transition. When I switched to the Kinesis Advantage I used it at work during the week, and took it home on weekends. Weekday nights at home I continued using my previous keyboard. This worked out OK, but maybe I would have transitioned faster if I hadn't used anything else...

Currently I'm using the TE at work and the Advantage at home (even on weekends), and it works out OK most of the time. Yesterday night at home I did try to press a non-existant bottom-left Option key with my left pinky to type an umlaut character, when I should have used the left thumb instead. Stuff like this happens rarely enough to not make me lug around the TE every day. :)

Offline RTbar

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 17:48:51 »
I have a red 104 available for sale in case anyone is looking to get one... check the classifieds.  I barely type at home so I realized I don't really need this board... the reds feel amazing though, I will defiantly be getting red as my next switch

Offline Tracer

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 February 2012, 10:53:09 »
DOH... if it was only 109 I would have taken it off you. I'm pretty happy with the remapping of the extra keys to standard position.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 12:38:24 »
Quote from: Tracer;513403

Shift to Cntrl
LShift to tab
RShift to Enter
`~ to top left key

I'm curious how well SharpKeys is working for you for key remapping. I was considering trying KeyTweak, since it's been updated more recently, but the FAQ explicitly says that it's not designed for swapping 2 keys. I am so used to having the LShift key one row lower and having the LCtrl key where the Capslock would be normally that I really need to swap them else I start making really bad mistakes involving Ctrl and other keys. I'm currently using AutoHotKey for the remapping, but it doesn't work on the Logon/Lock screens and the remapping doesn't work with a few other apps I use for work. I only worry about making enough changes so that I won't be able to use W7.

Since I type Dvorak normally, I would also remap the RShift key to Dash(-) [RShift to Quote(') on QWERTY] and remap Dash(-) to Z [Quote(') to Slash(/) on QWERTY. I have also remapped LSpace to Backspace, because I'm used to this from years of typing on a TouchStream keyboard.

Edit:

I just noticed that I braino-ed and mixed up SharpKeys and KeyTweak. SharpKeys' FAQ says it won't work with swapping 2 keys.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline nomaded

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 12:28:54 »
I ended up using KeyTweak on W7 to do the remapping of selected keys on the TECK. I chose KeyTweak partially based on the fact that the SharpKeys FAQ said it didn't support 2 key swaps (LShift <-> LControl), and partially on the fact that the installer said it needed .NET 4.x installed, which I didn't have installed yet. So, while I was installing .NET 4.x, I grabbed KeyTweak, installed that (even though only the .exe is really needed, so it can be portable) and started using that.

I like how KeyTweak has a "Half-Learning" mode, where it'll ask you to hit a key, so that it can grab the scancode from the keyboard directly, and then you select from a drop-down menu what to remap to. I didn't actually install SharpKeys to see if it also supported such a feature. Interestingly, with this learning functionality, the right modifier keys tossed up some odd looking scancodes (5-byte ones), but all of them seemed to be remappable, except for the 5-byte scancode for RShift. I ended up selected the RShift key from the layout map on the UI in order to remap that key.

It's nice that my remappings will work on the W7 Logon and Lock screens. I'm a bit concerned by the fact that a "normal" keyboard will inherit my remappings. I do wish there was a way to limit my remappings to just the TECK, but I think the only way to do that in Windows will be to wait for the firmware programming app, if it ever shows up.

So with DIP switches #3 (LSpace) & #4 (swap RControl & RAlt) set to OFF, I am currently using the following mapping:

LShift -> LControl
LControl -> LShift
LSpace -> Backspace
RShift -> Quote(') [Dash(-) in Dvorak]
RAlt -> RShift
Quote(') -> Slash(/) [Z in Dvorak]

I am considering remapping the key labeled Backspace to act like the Win modifier key.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline boli

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 14:23:23 »
Quote from: nomaded;524388
So with DIP switches #3 (LSpace) & #4 (swap RControl & RAlt) set to OFF, I am currently using the following mapping:

LShift -> LControl
LControl -> LShift
LSpace -> Backspace
RShift -> Quote(') [Dash(-) in Dvorak]
RAlt -> RShift
Quote(') -> Slash(/) [Z in Dvorak]

I am considering remapping the key labeled Backspace to act like the Win modifier key.

Your remappings sound almost exactly like mine, except that I used LSpace for Command. IMO LSpace is the best spot on the keyboard, so I suggest using it wisely. If I were a Windows user I definitely use it for Ctrl. I considered Backspace for that position as well, but I figured with a low error rate it would be a waste.

Offline Tracer

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 10:56:36 »
Sharp keys has a learning mode too, which is super important for the 109 where the extra keys are "unknown".

Due to the way these programs work, I've actually stopped using remapping altogether and am using the default layout. The reason is that I'm working off my tablet PC for the next few weeks and need to be able to easily switch to the built in keyboard. These apps render the built in keyboard useless.

I have to say that after a couple of days of using the default layout, I can appreciate why this layout was chosen. However, I am also convinced that I will ultimately not use it. I switch between a lot of different keyboards, and the context switching between matrix and non-matrix is tricky enough, but when I start mashing the middle of the keyboard expecting a tab or backspace key, things just get stupid. Also, having the enter key where I traditionally hit space will never work for me.

I'm now impatiently waiting for the remapping software for this keyboard. Once they release this software, I will consider buying an additional keyboard. I wish the reds came in a 109 configuration.

Offline Tracer

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 12:28:38 »
It's been a couple of weeks now and I think my regular language typing is actually faster than on my old MS Ergo 4000. This keyboard feels amazing. I much prefer these Cherry MX brown switches over the Buckling spring in my Model M. Using a rubber dome keyboard now just feels horrible. Scissor switch is ok.

I have to have some keys remapped. I tried using the default layout for a few days and found that using that center row was actually very difficult. It required far more hand movement then I would like. I also found switching to a regular keybaord much worse as all of a sudden I'm mashing the center of the board for things like enter and backspace. backspace is the only key which I use in it's default position.

The biggest problem I have with the truly ergonomic is that I program for a living. So the [,],\, and / keys are used a lot. The / and \ keys are in a particularly awkward portion of the keyboard. I don't know what I'm going to do about that.

As for remapping software for Windows 7, KeyTweek has a far superior user interface over sharp keys. However, it's super buggy for me. I still prefer it as it actually supports saving layouts which sharp keys doesn't.

Overall I've decided that this is the best keyboard on the market for me. From what I see, it's probably the best keyboard that will ever be on the market for me. I'll be picking up a second board as soon as they become in stock again (109 blank).

Offline boli

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 13:11:41 »
Quote from: Tracer;530915
Overall I've decided that this is the best keyboard on the market for me. From what I see, it's probably the best keyboard that will ever be on the market for me. I'll be picking up a second board as soon as they become in stock again (109 blank).

Glad you like it! :)

Never say never though, there are other good keyboards in existence or planned... :D

ErgoDox:

Kinesis Advantage:

A Maltron 3D:

A custom Maltron 3D:

Offline treigle

• http://www.neuron0.net
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 14:13:33 »
Quote from: Tracer
I tried using the default layout for a few days and found that using that center row was actually very difficult. It required far more hand movement then I would like.

Try leaving only the pinkies on their home position, splaying all other fingers while reaching for the center column like this:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42195[/ATTACH]

Instead of like this:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42196[/ATTACH]

With the pinkie's position fixed, the other fingers return effortlessly to their home positions, and it's quite comfortable.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 February 2012, 14:19:12 by treigle »
Kinesis Advantage, Truly Ergonomic (ANSI), Filco 87

Offline djcybermyth

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 10:48:48 »
I've been programming C (in emacs :rockon:) with the TE daily since I got it.  The / and | and particularly the _ were very hard to get used to at first, but now they feel just as comfortable as they were on a traditional keyboard.  For me, I'm finding that the layout is absolutely great, it's only my habits that I've had to retrain.

Offline Tracer

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 11:11:49 »
The ErgoDox, if it ever becomes available would be even nicer.

I used an advantage for a few months years ago.
It, and by the looks of it, the maltron, have many issues that disqualify it for me.
1. way too tall. I have too many other desk items like a Wacom tablet and trackball. Having them at a different hight was really frustrating.
2. Drastically different layout. I am not good at switching between layouts. Some variation is fine, but too much causes my brain to go funny
3. overall size. I love how compact the TE is. I can through it into a bag and take it with me.

P.T.

Offline Tracer

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 11:13:11 »
I use a real man's editor, VIM :)

That aside, yes.. I'm getting used to them, but it's funny how often programmers need all those keys.

P.T.

P.S.: All in good fun

Offline Tracer

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 11:14:30 »
Quote from: djcybermyth;532070
I've been programming C (in emacs :rockon:) with the TE daily since I got it.  The / and | and particularly the _ were very hard to get used to at first, but now they feel just as comfortable as they were on a traditional keyboard.  For me, I'm finding that the layout is absolutely great, it's only my habits that I've had to retrain.

I use a real man's editor, VIM, but I know what you mean :)

It's crazy how many non-letter characters we have to deal with to do our jobs.

Offline djcybermyth

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 11:37:49 »
Ha!  Someone took the bait ;)

Other than the few keys that you mentioned in your other post, how has your experience using this keyboard for programming work been (workflow switching between tabs, windows, number key positions, etc.)?

For me, I like that the number keys are shifted over one from standard layouts.  I always use the number row on keyboards rather than the 10 key, and find that my accuracy seems to be a little better.  The only number that I consistently miss is the 0 or the ( for some reason.

Offline boli

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 17:00:03 »
Quote from: djcybermyth;532106
For me, I like that the number keys are shifted over one from standard layouts.

I wish they were. :) That's one of the things I had to do in software during my TECK trial. As a result, the -_ key moved back to the top right on my 105 model, just left of the =+ key. I also moved back /? to the original position, so only the \| key still felt a bit off, but it got easier in time.

TECK 109:

TECK 104/105: Note the -_ key moved over to the left:

Standard fingering on regular keyboard:

Alternatve fingering ("wide mod") on regular keyboard (Source DreymaR's Colemak keyboard graphics):

My Kinesis Colemak layout with numbers shifted over one key to the left (apparently I used alternate fingering for the num row previously to switching to the Kinesis, which is why the shifted over version feels so natural to me):
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2012, 17:08:46 by boli »