Author Topic: Ramen Noodle Thread  (Read 39330 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Ramen Noodle Thread
« on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 11:23:46 »
Let's talk about Ramen. Everyone's favorite noodle delight. Recently i have been really into ramen. I have been going to a Korean and Japanese restaurants sampling their wares and I am falling back into love with Ramen (i am no longer a poor student so i stopped eating them).

Anywho, what are you favorite brands?  Where can i buy your favorite brands?

Personally i like shrimp/seafood flavored ramen.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Re: Ramen Noodle Thread
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 11:28:52 »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 11:37:16 »
Nong Shim Shin Ramyun is my all time favorite instant ramen.

For actual ramen, I really like the ramen they serve at Ippudo in New York City....or the random places I went to in Tokyo.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 11:39:28 »
i have been hearing a lot of praise for Nong Shim Shin Ramyun (Black). 

http://www.amazon.com/Nongshim-Ramyun-Noodle-Black-4-58-Ounce/dp/B0061JWQOW/ref=sr_1_4?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1370358727&sr=1-4&keywords=Shin+Ramyun

these are expensive (as far as ramen goes) which is promising. i am going to pick up a few packets of them at the asian market on my lunch. 

Offline jalaj

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 12:21:14 »

For actual ramen, I really like the ramen they serve at Ippudo in New York City....or the random places I went to in Tokyo.
Instant ramen days are over for me. The unhealthiness aspect far outweighs the convenience factor and price. 
Though for non-instant ramen, Ippudo in Manhattan is possibly the cream of the crop for USA options and worth the typical 1 hour wait for dinner. Go during lunch time and the wait time is much lower.
Recently I tried out a nearby Korean owned Japanese restaurant and ordered ramen. They served me doctored up instant ramen grade crap, which was very disappointing as I was expecting freshly made ramen.  I haven't been back there since.  But Ippudo, that's always cravable.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 12:23:56 »

Instant ramen days are over for me. The unhealthiness aspect far outweighs the convenience factor and price. 
Though for non-instant ramen, Ippudo in Manhattan is possibly the cream of the crop for USA options and worth the typical 1 hour wait for dinner. Go during lunch time and the wait time is much lower.
Recently I tried out a nearby Korean owned Japanese restaurant and ordered ramen. They served me doctored up instant ramen grade crap, which was very disappointing as I was expecting freshly made ramen.  I haven't been back there since.  But Ippudo, that's always cravable.

I cant eat instant ramen anymore due to my blood pressure.  it makes me sad.  is there anything that you can make at home that isn't loaded with sodium?
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Malphas

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 12:25:02 »
Ah; cheap, mass-produced, processed wheat noodles with artificial flavourings, MSG and sodium. Delicious.

I guess my favourite is probably UK-brand Pot Noodle.

Offline take

• 87U / G500
    • front & follow
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 12:26:50 »
best [american] instant ramen:
maruchan beef

best [japanese] instant ramen:
can't remember the name, but it was beef flavored and has a small illustrated family on the packaging.

best [american] instant yakisoba:
maruchan spicy chicken

best real ramen:
kinryu [osaka]
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2013, 16:12:01 by take »

REΛLFORCE 87U 55g  ||  Logitech G500

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 12:35:24 »
I can't eat instant ramen anymore due to my blood pressure.  it makes me sad.  is there anything that you can make at home that isn't loaded with sodium?

Nothing instant but if you're willing to learn how to cook I might have a few suggestions. :D

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 12:47:43 »

I can't eat instant ramen anymore due to my blood pressure.  it makes me sad.  is there anything that you can make at home that isn't loaded with sodium?

Nothing instant but if you're willing to learn how to cook I might have a few suggestions. :D

I'm ok with cooking!
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 12:57:19 »
Chinese supermarkets will have really good dried noodles or freshly made noodles. Get some of those, buy some or make some chicken broth. Throw in some chilis or srihacha. Then add some veggies/meat/eggs and enjoy :D.

My mom likes to make a soup where its chicken and onions. Take off all the skin, boil the chicken until you get your preferred doneness, take the chicken out, shred the meat and reserve it for later. Then put the carcass back in with the bones and boil with the onions for an hour or two. When you serve it, put the chicken meat back in with noodles in the soup. It tastes incredible. I ate three bowls of this with noodles when I was at home, I think.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 June 2013, 12:59:53 by CPTBadAss »

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 13:08:50 »
You might like Tom yum noodles. They're sour and spicy. So good!!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 13:09:09 »
I tend to east 'noodles' once or twice a week for lunch, its easy and convenient and helps with the boredom of sandwiches.

Some of my favorites from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0095SPWP6

24333-0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028PDFQG

24329-1

http://www.amazon.com/Nongshim-Bowl-Noodle-4-02-Ounce-Containers/dp/B003MOX6RA

24335-2

I also recommend http://www.theramenrater.com/ for reviews

and I have bought some stuff from www.ramenplace.com before,

these were really tasty http://www.ramenplace.com/type/soupless-ramen-noodles/sapporo-ichiban-chow-mein.html

24331-3

I really, really want some Nissin Raoh noodles but am having a hard time sourcing them....

Offline take

• 87U / G500
    • front & follow
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 13:16:43 »
also, adding taberu rayu:

something about that chili oil & garlic flavor instantly makes any noodle dish delicious.

REΛLFORCE 87U 55g  ||  Logitech G500

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 13:43:23 »
I grew up on Nissin (i.e., "Top") and Maruchan brand ramen.  Recently though I switched to the Korean brand that the TL.net ramen thread recommended, which I get at Safeway.  The noodles are thicker and cook up chewier and less mushy.  Much, much preferred to the 5-for-a-dollar brands.

I'm too wimpy to eat it plain with the entire hot & spicy flavor packet, though.  I'll use maybe half of the packet, and crack an egg in to poach with the noodles.  Sometimes a little parmesan cheese on top, and/or rooster sauce.

It's also tasty fried up with a mixture of peanut butter, soy sauce, and sweet chili sauce, plus scrambled egg mixed in.

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 June 2013, 13:45:07 by hashbaz »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 13:46:06 »
I usually eat the styrofoam noodle'n'a'cup things. I know they aren't the best, but I have nothing more than a microwave at my disposal at work.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 13:46:27 »
Yup, that's the one I grew up eating hashbaz. And haha, you call it rooster sauce? That's awesome

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 13:54:55 »

GG!
-wd

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 13:55:55 »

I usually eat the styrofoam noodle'n'a'cup things. I know they aren't the best, but I have nothing more than a microwave at my disposal at work.

The first two noodles I linked above you just add water and microwave....they are very good to!

here is an example of one of them

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35638.msg909753#msg909753

Yup, that's the one I grew up eating hashbaz. And haha, you call it rooster sauce? That's awesome

24337-0

well it has a rooster on the bottle

"noodle war"

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/fms/business/74195/the-instant-noodle-war.html

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:07:25 »
Yes I know whats on the bottle but I always called it Sriracha in English cause that's on the bottle too. Though technically its in Vietnamese...whatever, it's delicious :D

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:11:20 »
me and my fiance refer to the rooster sauce as 'hot cock sauce' and it is way funnier.

i give that saying to you geekhack. go nuts with the hot cock sauce. lol.

I am going to an asian market now. I am going to buy a ton of instant ramen noodle packets and give mini reviews.

I expect great things from this thread.

also: of course we all prefer real ramen to the instant packs guys. but the instant packs have some merit as well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:18:39 by tricheboars »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:16:35 »
Yes I know whats on the bottle but I always called it Sriracha in English cause that's on the bottle too. Though technically its in Vietnamese...whatever, it's delicious :D

rooster is soooo much easier to say that sriracha...especially for the kids! ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:26:10 »
LOL @hot cock sauce. I'm totally using that from now on. And ray4jc, it's Chinese name is easier for me to say :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:51:19 »
I've eating over 3000 packs of this stuff...

Which of you has had more ? :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:53:21 »

but have you kept track?? like in a notebook...cut out the labels paste in a scrap book....that would be really cool....

tp is this your channel -> http://www.youtube.com/user/tontantin
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:54:52 by ray4jc »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 14:57:31 »

but have you kept track?? like in a notebook...cut out the labels paste in a scrap book....that would be really cool....

tp is this your channel -> http://www.youtube.com/user/tontantin

LOL, no that guy is an expert..

I'm more of an Advanced !

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:21:14 »
Some of my favorites are Nong Shim Kimchi and Sapporo Iciban Miso. There are also these other ones I get at the Asian grocery that I can't read anything on that are chili basil lime flavor. Those don't have a powder in them but a wet sauce and an spicy oil packet. They are the bomb and are only like $.30 a pack but the packs are only like half the size of usual. I almost never eat them just the package, but dress them up with veggies, meat or shrimp, tofu, hard boiled egg, etc to make a good meal out of them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:24:59 »
Some of my favorites are Nong Shim Kimchi and Sapporo Iciban Miso. There are also these other ones I get at the Asian grocery that I can't read anything on that are chili basil lime flavor. Those don't have a powder in them but a wet sauce and an spicy oil packet. They are the bomb and are only like $.30 a pack but the packs are only like half the size of usual. I almost never eat them just the package, but dress them up with veggies, meat or shrimp, tofu, hard boiled egg, etc to make a good meal out of them.

^ noob

You've made it "non-instant" :D

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:32:25 »

^ noob

actually there are quite a few ramen noodle info sites that always dress up the instant stuff with eggs, green onions, chilis, etc. 

it seems to be something all the kids do these days. it might have something to do with this "swag" and "YOLO" speak I hear at the mall.

here is one site:
http://www.theramenrater.com/top-ten-lists/top-ten/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:39:29 »

^ noob

actually there are quite a few ramen noodle info sites that always dress up the instant stuff with eggs, green onions, chilis, etc. 

it seems to be something all the kids do these days. it might have something to do with this "swag" and "YOLO" speak I hear at the mall.

here is one site:
http://www.theramenrater.com/top-ten-lists/top-ten/

I'm not against it,

But if you "have the kinda time" to spend dressing it up.. It seems like you can make something better..

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:39:46 »
See also the TL.net thread.  Some excellent tips for white people such as myself.

P.S. Anyone ever eat their ramen dry?  When I was a kid I would sometimes sprinkle the flavor packet over the loaf of uncooked noodles and eat it like a sandwich.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:45:51 »
It dosen't take much longer to dress it up than not really. If you look on the pictures for most packages of ramen it has those things in there... make it like in the picture, duh.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:52:55 »
It dosen't take much longer to dress it up than not really. If you look on the pictures for most packages of ramen it has those things in there... make it like in the picture, duh.

That's thinking far too simplistic, there is way more to it then that
Keyboardless

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:54:23 »
So these work very well when only having access to a microwave and no stove top......

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:55:30 »
When I was in college I had the time to fancy **** up but no money to get real food...

Anybody fan of ramlettes? It's basically cooking the ramen noodles and mix egg&cheese with the sauce packet and cook the noodles dry to make an omelette out of it

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 16:03:44 »

That's thinking far too simplistic, there is way more to it then that

High Level Ramen Mastery : [ 2 part CONCURRENT]
Requirements:

Pot, must be less than 7" diameter
Large microwavable bowl
Stir-ing stick
Strainer or strainer type noodle scooper

Noodle Part:

Fill pot with exactly 1 inch deep of water

Put 3/4 pack of POWDERED seasoning into water, stir, once boiled, this will create a SUPER_SATURATED solution

Bring to Rapid boil

Place noodle brick

Boil with cover open

As the soup is absorbed into the noodles, BY OSMOSIS, the flavoring will be injected into the noodles.

Once you have very little soup left in pot, remember to stir, or it may stick

By the time you have about 1/8th to 1/4th inch left of soup, it should be done, "remember the part after the water boils is all with covers open"

Remove noodle, place into strainer, rinse thoroughly with COLDEST tap water available. This will allow the noodles to achieve maximum bounciness in texture, and seal in the flavoring.

Concurrent Soup step:

-to be done in parallel timing with noodle procedure

Place all wet seasoning and 1/4 pack left of powder seasoning into microwavable bowl.

Add desired water, stir

Bring to boiling in microwave.

Finally

Combine and enjoy

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 16:13:11 »
So these work very well when only having access to a microwave and no stove top......

(Attachment Link)

Ohmg I have one of these and will use it forthwith!!!
I previously use it for veggies like broccoli and can veggies.  Best investment ever poasibly
-wd

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 16:14:48 »
Put 3/4 pack of POWDERED seasoning into water, stir, once boiled, this will create a SUPER_SATURATED solution
That is absoutely horrible way to cook it, by cooking it with the seasoning you will not get a pure taste of the seasoning, it is best to cook it then boil fresh water then apply seasoning. You do not want the seasoning to be adsorbed into the noodles

Remove noodle, place into strainer, rinse thoroughly with COLDEST tap water available. This will allow the noodles to achieve maximum bounciness in texture, and seal in the flavoring.
To achieve maxiiimum bounciness in texture you need to microwave it 20-30 seconds after the rinse then apply the boiling water then the seasoning.

Keyboardless

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 16:15:49 »
i just put my ramen noodles in a bowl next to my custom poker. the style on it is so hot thatit instantly cooks my ramen.

ok. so i just tried a Nongshim Shin Ramyun Noodle Soup Black, or Black Edition as i like to call it, and the verdict is....

GOOD! but not worth 4x the price of Top Ramen.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 16:16:05 »

(Attachment Link)

Ohmg I have one of these and will use it forthwith!!!
I previously use it for veggies like broccoli and can veggies.  Best investment ever poasibly

It's great for ramen, especially if you like to drain the liquid out, I know some like to have 'noodle soup'....

I keep mine in my desk at work. It is also great for cans of soup etc...it cleans very well also.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 18:59:17 »
That is absoutely horrible way to cook it, by cooking it with the seasoning you will not get a pure taste of the seasoning, it is best to cook it then boil fresh water then apply seasoning. You do not want the seasoning to be adsorbed into the noodles

To achieve maxiiimum bounciness in texture you need to microwave it 20-30 seconds after the rinse then apply the boiling water then the seasoning.

Microwave is only necessary if you Overcooked it.. they do the same thing with over-boiled dumplings..  If you follow my method, you will not overcook in the first place.

using the 1/4 left over pack, you make a separate batch of soup in the microwave.  This way you Get enough seasoning into the noodles. AND you get your so called pure taste of the soup mix.

The point of this is to remove the waxy taste from the noodles.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 23:37:38 »
24414-0
get on my ****ing level

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 23:46:08 »
(Attachment Link)
get on my ****ing level

whoa! sriracha in a pouch?? :eek:

don't make me get my two boxes of ramen variety down and take a photo :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 03:59:59 »
(Attachment Link)
get on my ****ing level

Just a friendly warning to ALL OF ya'll

Ramen was a BIG reason I used to be really fat..  ;D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:14:33 »
(Attachment Link)
get on my ****ing level

Well this and being poor is a big reason I've gained 30lbs over the past 3 years of schooling.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 07:15:51 »
(Attachment Link)
get on my ****ing level

Well this and being poor is a big reason I've gained 30lbs over the past 3 years of schooling.

The guy Below recommends  Top-Ramen, Canned-Tuna, and the Prison-Yard routine

I also got fat eating Ramen by choice..  :))  I know, stupid.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:01:11 »
So lays has this contest for new flavors one of the flavors is rooster sauce flavor (siriracha) it's gonna be discontinued soon and ppl ebay it for 4x normal price. I have found a bag or two at a local supermarket (i actually have the manager put away a bag if he can... local managers are nice in small neighborhoods), it's got a nice kick to it that's different from other "hot" chips. Note, i use rooster sauce all the time with pho, and am no stranger to it.

Pro tip for noodles, if you don't have it, or it didn't come with the instant noodles, put 1/4 tsp of seseme oil and it makes instant noodles 100x better, even the crappy american nissin or mauchan crap.

Offline jalaj

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 12:42:09 »
Pro tip for noodles, if you don't have it, or it didn't come with the instant noodles, put 1/4 tsp of seseme oil and it makes instant noodles 100x better, even the crappy american nissin or mauchan crap.

Good tip. It greatly enhances the flavor of any asian style noodle soup.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 12:44:48 »

Hell yes. Sesame oil makes anything better :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 13:20:28 »
Not everyone likes sesame oil.. Actually many people do not..