Author Topic: Who's fault?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline jrockroll

Who's fault?
« on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 15:17:49 »
It didn't happen to me and I am sure it doesn't happen often but what happens if you sell/buy something (not cheap) with tracking and the item gets lost?
What would you do if you're the buyer/seller?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: Who's fault?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 15:19:29 »
If it has tracking and insurance USPS should cover it.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 15:21:15 »
It didn't happen to me and I am sure it doesn't happen often but what happens if you sell/buy something (not cheap) with tracking and the item gets lost?
What would you do if you're the buyer/seller?
Imo the best thing would be to split the price if you can't get a refund from your shipping company
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 15:21:47 »
If it has tracking and insurance USPS should cover it.

It takes forever and a half to get them to admit fault and do anything about it though. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 15:24:15 »
The proper thing to do is split the difference. At least, that's what seemed to be the thing to do last time this thread came up. Getting the postal service to try and find your package is the first priority though.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 17:11:24 »
The buyer should decide beforehand if the shipping should have insurance or not, and how much the package should be declared for = how much it is insured for.
The buyer might want to declare the value to be lower than what was paid only if there could be import tax. If there could be import tax, then the buyer should also decide what the description text should be on the customs form.
If there is insurance and the package is deemed lost, then the seller has the responsibility to request the insurance money and pay the buyer.
If there is no insurance and the package is lost, then nobody gets anything.

These have always been the implicit rules for when I have bought and sold stuff on eBay and message boards and we have not said anything else. If you want another arrangement, then you should agree on it beforehand.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 April 2014, 17:13:46 by Findecanor »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 19:21:59 »
The proper thing to do is split the difference.

I totally disagree. If the seller has properly packaged and properly addressed the item, and paid for shipping, then he has completely fulfilled his obligations.

This is 100% the buyer's problem.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 19:54:03 »
It depends on how and where the package was lost.
Was it marked as delivered?