Author Topic: Differences between Tactile Pro 3 and 4  (Read 18089 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Differences between Tactile Pro 3 and 4
« on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:54:32 »
What are they?

I'm curious as I just bought a used Tactile Pro 3, and was wondering what I might be missing out on.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
Re: Differences between Tactile Pro 3 and 4
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 23:17:07 »
You won't have the re-engineered Matias clicky switches, which I understand eliminate the ringing sound that the MTP3 was known for.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:34:47 »
None of those are deal breakers, and I got a killer deal on the TP3, so thanks!

Offline Burz

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:18:58 »
Tell us how you like it...
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 00:33:12 »
I love the TP 3. It's a clicky alps, which is hard to explain in term of the feel of Cherry. The closes would be Blues, but the white alps feels quite a bit different. The spring in an Alps switch is smaller, and for some reason it gets stiffer faster. The force graph would look steeper than a Cherry switch, for sure.

The tactile mechanism is completely different as well. I'm able to avoid bottoming out on the TP 3 much easier than any other switch I've used save Buckling Spring.

However, I've had two keys start chattering on this board, the C and the H. I've tried cleaning them, but the H is a little iffy, so I'm probably going to order a couple replacement switches from Matias, if I can.

Offline Burz

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 15:26:04 »
Maybe the chattering keys are why that particular TP3 was a good deal.

Keep in mind the Fukka switches in the TP3 aren't meant to last as long as the ones in the TP4.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 14:53:25 »
True. I've got an inquiry in to Matias about whether I can replace the Fukka switches in the TP3 with the new Matias switches from the TP4, and if I can order some individuals.

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 11:54:57 »
Yes, you can replace the old keys with the new.  They are pin compatible.  Just de-solder the old switchs, and solder in the new ones.

Another advantage of the TP4 for Mac users is that it identifies as an Apple keyboard, so the Function keys give you all the standard Mac keyboard functions, and you don't have to deal with the Keyboard Setup Assistant.  Just plug it in and it works immediately.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 05:55:02 »
Does this model eliminate the ringing sound that another poster mentioned? Thanks.

Offline Matias

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 09:28:46 »
Does this model eliminate the ringing sound that another poster mentioned? Thanks.

Yes, it does.  There's no residual ringing with the new switches.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 10:18:08 »
I want my keyboard NOW!!! Thanks for the response.

Offline Matias

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 February 2013, 10:32:59 »
I want my keyboard NOW!!! Thanks for the response.

:-)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 21:22:17 »
With these new keyboards, can i change the alp switches without soldering? I heard that some people just remove a part of the alp from above the keyboard by just removing the keycap. Is that possible? Also, did the keyboards ship yet? Thanks.

Offline Burz

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 22:32:11 »
With these new keyboards, can i change the alp switches without soldering? I heard that some people just remove a part of the alp from above the keyboard by just removing the keycap. Is that possible? Also, did the keyboards ship yet? Thanks.

Someone (was it Mr Interface?) took a Matias switch apart and said it was too different inside to be compatible in that way.

Swapping parts between the different Matias switches might be possible though.

Offline Matias

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 22:34:07 »

You can't remove the switches without soldering.  They are all soldered.

If you know how to disassemble the switches, you can substitute parts from one type of Matias switch to another.  For example, changing a quiet switch to a clicky switch.  However, this is not a simple process, and it will void your warranty.  It's very easy to damage a switch if you don't do it properly.  If you're going to attempt something like this, you should buy a box of switches and practice on those first -- before you attempt to take apart a working keyboard.

The new keyboards will be shipping soon.  You should get an update notice emailed to you in the next week or so.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 16:54:21 »
Ok. Thanks for the response.  :Dl

Offline xandr

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 02:50:57 »
If I have a Matias Tactile Pro that says FK302 on the bottom and the switches have black housings with white stems - that's a 3.0, right?

All the photos I've seen of the new switches - that should be in the 4.0 - were transparent housings with transparent stems.
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 03:13:56 »
If I have a Matias Tactile Pro that says FK302 on the bottom and the switches have black housings with white stems - that's a 3.0, right?

All the photos I've seen of the new switches - that should be in the 4.0 - were transparent housings with transparent stems.
In one review I read, the TP4 will still have FK302 label, so you could still have the TP4.

Offline xandr

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 03:20:47 »
The 4 is shown as FK302 on the Matias website as well, that's why I'm asking about the color of the switches. There are a few things that are "off" about my Tactile Pro - which should be a 4 since it's been sold as that, but seems more like a 3 to me.
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 01:13:16 »
The 4 is shown as FK302 on the Matias website as well, that's why I'm asking about the color of the switches. There are a few things that are "off" about my Tactile Pro - which should be a 4 since it's been sold as that, but seems more like a 3 to me.

Your intuition is correct. The new Matias switches have transparent bodies so they can have LEDs under them, allowing tactile indicator switches like Caps Lock. On the TP3 they had to use linear switches that could accomodate an LED on top. If your caps lock is not clicky it's a TP3.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline Belfong

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 03:29:14 »

Your intuition is correct. The new Matias switches have transparent bodies so they can have LEDs under them, allowing tactile indicator switches like Caps Lock. On the TP3 they had to use linear switches that could accomodate an LED on top. If your caps lock is not clicky it's a TP3.
On the Quiet Pro, where it is not clicky, is it using the new switch or old? Or the new switch is only for Tactile Pro 4?

Offline Matias

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 06:08:21 »
On the Quiet Pro, where it is not clicky, is it using the new switch or old? Or the new switch is only for Tactile Pro 4?

All the Quiet Pro units have the new switches.  The Quiet Click switches were designed specifically for the Quiet Pro.

We kept the part number the same to make it easier for retailers to transition to the Tactile Pro 4.  You'd be amazed at how lazy stores are to SKU up new products.

Yes, that is the easiest way to tell.  If your Caps Lock has an LED, but is linear and not clicky, then it is a Tactile Pro 3.

Another way you can tell is by looking at the layout.  The TP3 has a Help key above the Forward Delete key.  The TP4 has an Fn key there.  Volume keys on the TP3 are above the number pad.  On the TP4, they are integrated with the function keys....