Author Topic: Complete RK9000 makeover  (Read 7333 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Complete RK9000 makeover
« on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:36:06 »
About a month anbd a half ago, I picked up an RK-9000 for cheap in Reddit's /r/hardwareswap since it was having some issues with the Backspace key. Fortunately, I found out that the issues were just a simple problem with the land on the PCB and fixed it with some 26 gauge wire when I resoldered the keyboard back together.

Here's what I did to it:

• Painted the shell and put a couple of coats of clear PlastiDip on it
  • Painted the switch plate
  • Swapped the switches for MX Clears
  • Swapped the springs for 62g and 65g Korean springs
  • Stickered the switches

The painting was a pretty easy affair. With the shell I just gave it a rough sand, primed it with Montana Gold Plastic Primer, painted it with Montana Gold, clear coated it with some Rusto, and did a couple of coats of clear Plastidip. I rushed it a little and didn't get it as good as I could have, but it doesn't look bad.

The plate was a PITA to prep. I didn't realize it was powder coated and spent forever sanding it down. I should have just found a solvent that strips it. I then primed it with some self-etching primer, sprayed it with the same Montana Gold, and sealed it with some Rusto. In retrospect, I should have gone to my kind of nearby hacker space and powder coated it instead of painting it, but what's done is done.

The switch work took forever. I bought a bunch of used MX Clears off of Taobao for dirt cheap, tested them all, then got started with the time intensive and finger hurting part. To pop the tops off the switch, I used a binder clip and, when necessary, a flathead screwdriver. I then switched the bottom half of the housing with the Reds that the keyboard had used before so I didn't have to cut 200+ supports and remove 100+ diodes. Following that, I added a sticker to the lower half of the housing. Stickers seem kind of gimmicky to me, but I figured I might as well try them and see if they actually do anything. Then I lubed the base, swapped in the springs, lubed the stem, and closed it up. The longest part of all of this was actually waiting for the springs since it took about three weeks to actually be able to buy something from Sherryton.

Then came the quick and easy part, soldering. In all, the soldering of the board took less than an hour, even with the work around on two lands. I put it all back together, tested it, and found it all to work. In fact, I'm typing this on my new keyboard right now.

So, was it worth it? I'm not sure. The project was a lot of fun to do, even if it did hurt my back, but the switch is still taking some getting used too. I love how the switch is far more tactile than Browns, but at the same time, it's almost too tactile. Part of me wishes that Cherry introduced a switch that was in between a Clear and Brown in tactility and in actuation force. If they ever did that, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.   Considering that I spent a grand total of ~$100 for the keyboard and all the supplies for modding it, I can't complain at all.

Also, in retrospect, I wish that I had done 65g springs on all the switches. 62g is okay, but the 65g switches feel pretty much perfect.

Future plans are to add a blank PBT key set. I'm leaning toward blue or red, but the funds just aren't there for it right now.

Here's the RK-9000 as it came to me Reddit's /r/hardwareswap for cheap.  Before I bought it, I was informed that the backspace key didn't always register.  When I desoldered the switches, I found out why.  One of the lands for the switch had broken and separated from the PCB trace and I found another problematic land on the PCB for one of the letters.

Fortunately, it's an easy fix and I just soldered wire between the leg that was supposed to connect to the land and the switch before and after it in the trace.  I could have done a "proper" fix with an Exacto knife, but it would have been more work for the same results.

The switches and plate before painting and the swap.

Here's the painted plate, painted shell, and new switches.

If you look closely, you can see the stickers that I put in the switches.

Here it is now with the original key caps.  Hopefully I'll get some more spending money soon and can swap the key caps out.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:57:08 by nubbinator »

Offline bazemk1979

Re: Complete RK9000 makeover
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:39:52 »
looks awesome!!!!
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:42:31 »
That gold color looks amazing, nice work

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:47:53 »
looks awesome!!!!

Thanks

That gold color looks amazing, nice work

Thanks.  It's Montana Gold Shock White Pure.

I forgot how hard it is to paint something white when it's a darker color underneath.  Normally Montana Gold has something covered in just a few coats, but it took over half the can to get the shell and the plate white.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 19:43:29 by nubbinator »

Offline BADBADNOTGOOD

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:54:19 »
^Good choice going with Montanas

Looks like a stealth RK9000i with upgraded switches. Awsome job

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:24:59 »
switch stickers?

I did a quick search and I see people selling and stuff, but now what they do.

Whats the point to them?

Are they making any different on your board?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 00:46:05 »
^Good choice going with Montanas

Looks like a stealth RK9000i with upgraded switches. Awsome job

I love Montana Gold.  I used it to paint my Cooler Master QFR.  Some of the best spray paint I've ever used.  I can see why stencil and graffiti artists like it.

switch stickers?

I did a quick search and I see people selling and stuff, but now what they do.

Whats the point to them?

Are they making any different on your board?

Supposedly they help stabilize the switches and make them less noisy.  I've seen all kinds of claims about them, but I doubt the veracity of most of them.

I haven't used them long enough to notice a difference.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 13:30:21 »
I realize this thread is a few months old but just wanted to say I think this is an awesome makeover and a very good recovery of what could have been a trashed board!!

nubs you have many talents!! :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 15:47:01 »
Haha, thanks.  I'm more of a dabbler though.  I really like to experiment and try new things and learn about them.  Usually it means running headlong into it and submersing myself into it.  It was rewarding to save what would have likely been a junked board though.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 02:53:29 »
I just saw this too and I must say that it's really freaking awesome what you did with the Rosewill! I looked for some Montana spray paint in my area but found none and it's too expensive to buy online :( The stuff at Lowes looks like **** too. I wonder if there are graffiti stores in the area I can visit.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:28:50 »
OP are you using MX clears? Some people are claiming that the clear stems are bigger than the rest of the family
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:51:14 »
OP are you using MX clears? Some people are claiming that the clear stems are bigger than the rest of the family

Yes, they're Clears.  And I haven't noticed anything like that.  I actually commented in that thread about it.  I took calipers to my Clears, Blacks, Browns, and Reds and discussed the minor differences in stem sizes from an n of 5.  I would have done more, but found it was consistent across those 5, so it's doubtful a larger n would have changed much.  If the stems do cause issues like some people claim, there's something else at play other than the stem size.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 06:12:43 »
Hey this looks great man! Makes me wish I got the white :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 06:34:05 »

It didn't start out white, he painted it :P

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 06:40:02 »

It didn't start out white, he painted it :P

Yeah I saw that :) but I don't want to do that because I could've bought the white ha

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 07:16:08 »
Wow looks awesome

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 09:24:20 »
"I added a sticker to the lower half of the housing. Stickers seem kind of gimmicky to me, but I figured I might as well try them and see if they actually do anything."

So - do they make any difference?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 11:14:44 »
It looks nice. :) You always do creative things like this.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 11:54:14 »
"I added a sticker to the lower half of the housing. Stickers seem kind of gimmicky to me, but I figured I might as well try them and see if they actually do anything."

So - do they make any difference?

Not that I can tell. 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 18:53:29 »
This looked fantastic when it was done back in March, and still does!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 20:45:37 »
Have you modified it since march? New key caps yet? :D
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 20:50:02 »
Have you modified it since march? New key caps yet? :D

Nope, I haven't.  I'm hoping to find an affordable double shot cherry beige and cream set and pair it with the EK green GMK mods.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 08:23:14 »
Nice job. I like the paint. Did you have someone proxy your purchase of the clears on Taobao?