Author Topic: Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless and USA Distribution  (Read 62843 times)

Offline Bruce

• http://www.keyboardco.com
Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless and USA Distribution
« on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 16:33:01 »
The FR4 PCB is an option that I was offered by Filco for my 88TKL models. It is only used on these right now. It made sense for me to do this because there was some re-design going on anyway. I cannot say when it will be made available on other models but customer feedback will play a role.
It does have distinct advantages, mainly better feel and durability. It is similar to those used by Topre, I am told. All European 88TKL models use this board, those that I flew in early as well.
Incidentally - the feel thing is also why Filco stick with lighter keytops, any more robust keytops tended to detract from the feel of the keyboard, many were tried and are still being tried but none have yet been found that don’t compromise the typing experience which Filco hold sacred above all else. A decision has been made to stay with the existing keytop until or unless a more durable replacement is found that does not compromise feel.

I have been specifically requested by Diatec Management to convey to you all that they are 100% committed to providing the best possible service to Filco customers - wherever they may be.
The situation with EK happened suddenly. Majestouch did a great job, was uniquely suited to the situation and will be a hard act to follow, I think we can all agree on that. We owe him our gratitude, and I know him as a gentleman.
But things didn’t work out and we are where we are. Filco did not plan for this to happen and did not have a Plan B with regards to USA distribution. Companies are approaching them for distribution rights but they need time to be sure of any new partnership and are anxious not to jump from frying pan to fire.
The Keyboard Company will be partnering Diatec to address the situation and there will be news within weeks about Filco availability in USA. Please be patient, this is closer than you think. But I can say no more for now.

In the meantime, we are supporting USA customers from here in the UK quite successfully and are more than happy to ship accross the pond. It all works on http://www.keyboardco.com and your credit card or Paypal will be gratefully accepted.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 February 2011, 16:57:16 by Bruce »

Offline manfaux

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 17:01:25 »
Majestouch 2 in ANSI layout will eventually come right?

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 17:26:46 »
Quote from: ripster;299986

So it sounds like KL's reports on Filco's death are greatly exaggerated.

I think YOU exaggerated them. I never said anything about Filco dying. I said I think they're scaling back. And I still do.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 17:45:36 »
I believe the Unicomp mini will come out first.

Offline phillip

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 17:52:38 »
Hooray :D

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 February 2011, 17:55:12 »
Good flick I'm guessing?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 05:29:23 »
Take a look at this on Amazon

Offline phillip

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 07:42:50 »
Awesome :D

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 07:45:10 »
Congrats on the Amazon deal.  That'll be awesome.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 09:03:08 »
This is the first batch you're seeing, there are more en route including some 'R' eal goodies.

Offline jsvd

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 10:26:13 »
Europe wants some love too! Can't wait for a tenkeyless brown w/us layout :)

Well..can't, but have to :)

PS: clears would be nice too

Offline jsvd

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 10:49:14 »
I like the fact that they all have (grew?) beards :D

Offline Bruce

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 10:49:31 »
Hi jsvd

They arrived!
Tenkeyless-Browns-USA

Offline Bruce

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 10:50:13 »
What is a Unix beard?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 12:17:58 »
Quote from: Bruce;302213
Hi jsvd

They arrived!
Tenkeyless-Browns-USA

Are these the Majestouch 2s with the new PCB and all that?

Offline manfaux

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 12:53:41 »
Quote from: itlnstln;302278
Are these the Majestouch 2s with the new PCB and all that?

don't think so, it's still FKBN87M/EB, same as before, from the looks of the new ISO Majestouch 2's the model number for the ANSI's should be something like
FKBN87M/EB2

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 12:54:30 »
That's what I thought.  Damn.

Offline Kelsin

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 15:27:16 »
Ouch, looks like right now the tenkeyless comes out to a lot (around $150) with the pounds->dollar conversion. Can someone remind me if that's normal or if I should hold off a bit for US distribution? $187 for the keyboard (including shipping) is a bit more than I was ready to spend at the moment unfortunately.

(Edited for clarity)
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 February 2011, 15:30:20 by Kelsin »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 15:30:08 »
$150 is going to be about what it will cost through Amazon if the 104s are any indication.  With free shipping from Amazon, it's about what you would have paid through Elitekeyboards.  It's about as good as it's going to get.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 16:05:35 »
Quote from: itlnstln;302376
$150 is going to be about what it will cost through Amazon if the 104s are any indication.  With free shipping from Amazon, it's about what you would have paid through Elitekeyboards.  It's about as good as it's going to get.

I fell like that is after the price hike that took place last fall.  I recall the filco NKRO boards were about $132 on EK (that is what I paid for my 104) and were raised $10 dollars, shortly before going out of stock.  I feel like the 10key-less were in the 120 range back then
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline Bruce

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 16:30:34 »
Thanks Ripster.

The reds are only available as per the Diatec website.
But those models will be stocked in Europe and on Amazon USA.

We chose Amazon because it was the best way we could conceive to provide the sort of service we want to achieve in USA. Amazon are known to provide high service levels and we are using their experience and capacity to move the goods while I will be available should there be any issues - and to maintain contact. We pay them to fulfil our orders, the Buck still stops with me. We felt this might be beneficial because you will have an extra layer of support.
In Europe we work to the ‘Distance Selling Directive’ which gives all EU citizens very high levels of protection when buying online. I am not certain of the norm in USA but we will use this as the basis and Amazon already work to these levels.
There is a little cost added but Amazon are very efficient and nobody packs boxes for free - there is some saving too. Exactly how efficient it is remains to be seen.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 16:31:12 »
Quote from: ripster;302391
Added Amazon links to the WW Shopping Guide Wiki and sticky.

The other way to think of it is for only $5 more you get a spiffy blue Limited Edition model.

And, if something goes wrong, you don't have to pay return international shipping!  That alone should keep people from buying the 104 from pchome or armygroup...
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 February 2011, 16:45:46 by digitalleftovers »
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline Kelsin

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 20:16:10 »
Quote from: Bruce;302399
Thanks Ripster.

The reds are only available as per the Diatec website.
But those models will be stocked in Europe and on Amazon USA.

We chose Amazon because it was the best way we could conceive to provide the sort of service we want to achieve in USA. Amazon are known to provide high service levels and we are using their experience and capacity to move the goods while I will be available should there be any issues - and to maintain contact. We pay them to fulfil our orders, the Buck still stops with me. We felt this might be beneficial because you will have an extra layer of support.
In Europe we work to the ‘Distance Selling Directive’ which gives all EU citizens very high levels of protection when buying online. I am not certain of the norm in USA but we will use this as the basis and Amazon already work to these levels.
There is a little cost added but Amazon are very efficient and nobody packs boxes for free - there is some saving too. Exactly how efficient it is remains to be seen.

I honestly couldn't pay the $187 total today, but if the tenkeyless brown were to be added to the amazon selection I would definitely buy one immediately.

Offline Armando Penblade

• http://thegeekery.org
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 20:53:28 »
Anyone know if these will feature the extra colored keys (red escape and differently colored WASD)?
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 21:04:53 »
I don't think so. That's an armygroup thing.

Offline Armando Penblade

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 22:27:59 »
Also, anyone know if KBCo does the same sort of "pre-sorting" that EK used to do for Filcos? Presumably their quality is better now that EK whipped 'em into shape for so long, but if I could avoid bouncing a keyboard back and forth with Amazon to ensure my $150 is well-spent, that would be awesome.
Filco Majestouch 104-US, Metallic Blue, with Chery MX Blues  //  Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000, 104-US + Media Keys & Browser Controls  //  iRocks RF-6570 Cordless 104-US, 2.4GHz Wireless, White  //  SteelSeries 6Gv2 104-US, Black, with Cherry MX Blacks

Offline neo

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 February 2011, 23:16:37 »
Quote from: Armando Penblade;302551
Also, anyone know if KBCo does the same sort of "pre-sorting" that EK used to do for Filcos? Presumably their quality is better now that EK whipped 'em into shape for so long, but if I could avoid bouncing a keyboard back and forth with Amazon to ensure my $150 is well-spent, that would be awesome.

They probably ship them directly from Taiwan to US.

Offline jsvd

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 03:33:02 »
So..the US layout is still a Majestouch 1, but the German/French, etc are majestouch 2? Since the price is the same, is there a big difference?

Offline ironman31

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 06:37:36 »
Quote from: jsvd;302609
So..the US layout is still a Majestouch 1, but the German/French, etc are majestouch 2? Since the price is the same, is there a big difference?

I would think the difference is enough to warrant a high price point than the majestouch 1. So you could think about it either as your're getting a good deal on the m2 or overpaying for the m1.. That's what I'm thinking.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline British

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 09:32:39 »
Quote from: Bruce;302121
This is the first batch you're seeing, there are more en route including some 'R' eal goodies.

Any ETA on those specific "goodies" (at least for Europe :whistle:) ?

Offline Kelsin

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 19:50:41 »
Tenkeyless brown bought from amazon! Thanks!

Offline kozarrat

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:08:10 »
Quote from: Armando Penblade;302522
Anyone know if these will feature the extra colored keys (red escape and differently colored WASD)?

I received mine (104-key Black keyboard w/ brown switches) today. No extra key is included.

Offline Armando Penblade

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:09:09 »
That's super sad. . . guess I have to give EK my extra money for that stuff, then!

Well, I did get the limited edition, so maybe? I'll know tomorrow.

Offline Kelsin

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:29:55 »
Quote from: Armando Penblade;303922
That's super sad. . . guess I have to give EK my extra money for that stuff, then!

Well, I did get the limited edition, so maybe? I'll know tomorrow.

Yeah after ordering my tenkeyless I immediately bought the blue wasd, red esc and blank window keys from Elite to make it match my 104.

Offline zaerst

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 16:23:06 »
My tenkeyless Red came with red wasd

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 17:16:22 »
Quote from: zaerst;310698
My tenkeyless Red came with red wasd

Same here.  Mine also came with a Filco key puller but no red Esc key.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline victheslik

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 12 March 2011, 17:23:06 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:28:47 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline Bruce

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 14 March 2011, 14:59:01 »
Did someone put a notice up for me? How do you do that? I would answer but I don't know where it came from - help! I am interested.

About the escape and wasd keys. We ship what comes in the box, so usually no extras. Diatec put the wasd and a puller in with Majestouch R. So it is only the R models that will have anything extra in there.
Sorry for any confusion.

Offline PostalWorker

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 19:16:06 »
Any idea when the 104 reds will become available?  Been checking amazon for awhile now but still listed as currently unavailable.
Boldly going forward, \'cause I can\'t find reverse!

Offline stereotada

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 20:19:04 »
Im in the same boat as you. I check amazon like 5 times a day but to no avail.

I emailed bruce from keyboardco a couple days ago and he told me that amazon should be putting up the last batch of 104 reds anytime now. That was 3 days ago though so it might be up by the end of the week or the beginning of the next.

also noted was that it would be up for 2-3 weeks after which there won't be anymore unless they produce more reds in the future.

Really can't wait for these goodies.

Offline Huntor0

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 21:58:23 »
Same here I check several times a day for the 104 reds on Amazon and received the same answer from Bruce last week.
Majestouch-2  Linear R MX-Red / Topre Realforce 103U-UW / XArmor U9BL-S MX-Brown / Deck Fire 82 MX- Black / TG3 BLT82 (Blood guard removed) MX- Black / Model M 42h1292 19JAN96 / Model M 1391401 23MAR93

Offline Bruce

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 07:38:53 »
Hi Guys.

Red Switch 104 are at Amazon right now but we're not certain how long until they have them listed. We are expecting them to go live any day.

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 10:33:29 »
Hi Bruce,

Do you know when Amazon will refill their stock of Majestouch 2 tenkeyless Linear R w/ reds.  They have 8 left in stock now and I cannot buy until friday
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 11:44:30 »
Quote from: Lpb45;312683
Hi Bruce,

Do you know when Amazon will refill their stock of Majestouch 2 tenkeyless Linear R w/ reds.  They have 8 left in stock now and I cannot buy until friday

I think the chance of them selling out is quite slim, but who knows.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline PostalWorker

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 12:31:37 »
Quote from: Bruce;312601
Hi Guys.

Red Switch 104 are at Amazon right now but we're not certain how long until they have them listed. We are expecting them to go live any day.

Thanks for the update. :biggrin1:
Boldly going forward, \'cause I can\'t find reverse!

Offline stereotada

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 13:29:05 »
Quote from: noodles256;312709
I think the chance of them selling out is quite slim, but who knows.

actually they may very well be gone by friday.

on monday they only had around 20 left
tuesday, they only had 14 left
and now its down to 5, so it is going pretty fast.

might even be out by the end of the day.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 15:15:56 »
Lpb45, I think you need to get in there about now.
Drop me an email if you miss them, we have some in Europe too and I wouldn't want to disappoint.
They are getting snapped up like hot cakes.

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 15:53:51 »
ya they are all gone, they had 14 left this morning.

I am going to try and get one on the forums here, I may shoot you an email Bruce.
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline Bruce

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 16 March 2011, 17:51:07 »
I'll save you one.

Offline Maverick

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 17 March 2011, 14:43:08 »
Looks like the Filco stock at Amazon has been completely depleted. How much stock will Amazon have when the Filco Majestouch 2 104 Reds are listed?