Author Topic: Originative Grand Opening!  (Read 38952 times)

Offline MattBuzzy

Re: Originative Grand Opening!
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 20:42:50 »
And yet people sell / buy CC's and Brobots etc for over 4 times their original value, second hand, and noone says a damn word.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 20:46:40 »
Oh, people do, but they do while paying the prices or selling them for those prices.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 20:54:54 »
Sherry is entitled to a profit and he doesn't have to divulge what he is and isn't doing.  I think everyone can agree on that.  There must be some shiz going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.  But from my outside perspective, nothing bad could come from sherry's business venture. 

Everyone on this site acts so entitled it's sickening. Real business is cut throat...this is a community, but Sherry is running a business and from what I can tell he hasn't been out to cut anyone's throat purposefully which in my book still makes him a god guy.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline metafour

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 21:05:42 »

For the people who think Sherryton shouldn't have kept this to himself, do you feel the same way about EK, which has been selling the red Esc keycap for a while, for higher price than Sherryton is selling?

For the people who think Sherryton shouldn't have kpet this to himself, what would you have done yourself if you were in his position and have tens of thousand of dollars locked in an order?

Tell me, honestly, how many of your work your day job for free?

From what I saw when the site was up the $4 for the Red Esc was not the regular price which was listed on the item page at $5. So it seems to me it might just be a sale price to undercut the EK price for a while in the hopes that people might add them to their order of the other keys and not feel bad about or for those who didn't order from EK and may now order from Sherryton.

What benefit does he gain by keeping the information a secret though? I see releasing information as a marketing tool to build up actual anticipation of concrete products. GMK having the Cherry tools has been known for a while. With EK's release of the Red Esc we know they're actually producing for customers here in the US. I just don't see a benefit in the secrecy. Instead I see a greater opportunity to get customers since people are actually aware of specific products that are coming out and may not seek replacements in the interim.

Offline jabar

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 23:11:10 »
And yet people sell / buy CC's and Brobots etc for over 4 times their original value, second hand, and noone says a damn word.
any commentary about CC sales for ridiculous prices gets moderated and removed, that's why you don't see it
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 23:57:11 »
Whoa, and the ****ing Illuminati control the government. chill out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2013, 00:00:55 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 00:34:03 »
here is what i would like to see discussed in this thread, which, if you'll remember, is in the great finds forum:

-discussion about the items available for purchase from originative
-discussion about your personal purchases or non-purchases from originative
-comparables

if you would like to talk about ancillary issues, such as originative's marketing practices, or more off-topic issues such as conspiracy theories regarding keycap pricing speculation, please use the appropriate forums: off-topic for the latter, and originative's vendor forum for the former.

if you would like to accuse me or another staff member of direct misconduct of some form, i guess the feedback forum is reasonable for that. please be specific if you do choose to do this.

finally, for decency's sake, i would ask you to please limit your personal attacks on other forum users. i feel like we're definitely reaching a critical mass at this point in which there are so many ad hominems running around that this thread is destined to devolve into a mess of noisy and pointless bickering. if this does happen, we will be forced to close the thread and try again in the appropriate forums. i would prefer, however, that this topic just get back on track, and that further discussion reaches the appropriate forums.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 00:55:17 »
I think we should just view this a menu thing(like what phetto said).

If you want something on the menu, buy it.

If it's too expensive, don't buy it, don't complain about it.

tadahh

Offline limmy

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 01:21:14 »
I don't see any reason not to complain about the prices. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Expressing of opinions should not and need not be discouraged as long as they are civil and relevant.

I think the new price of $95 is much better than previous price of $130. I scoffed at $130, but I am tempted to buy a set at $95.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Originative Grand Opening!
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 01:25:54 »
Agreed, and because people voiced concerns for the price, Sherry adjusted them. A fair compromise.

Would ya look at that, complaining helped :P

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 06:34:01 »
i heard, originative will sell kmac2 soon. good luck

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 09:52:06 »
I wish we didn't have to "hear" about products coming soon. Many companies actually announce what they are bringing to market in advance to drum up interest and get consumers ready to buy. I don't even think it would be out of the question for Originative to poll the community to figure out what it should buy next, almost like an interest check. Why not give your customers exactly what they want?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 09:57:52 »
I wish we didn't have to "hear" about products coming soon. Many companies actually announce what they are bringing to market in advance to drum up interest and get consumers ready to buy. I don't even think it would be out of the question for Originative to poll the community to figure out what it should buy next, almost like an interest check. Why not give your customers exactly what they want?
That's exactly what The Keyboard Company usually does and I really appreciate it.

I don't know why other vendors won't do the same.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 10:48:47 »
I can see both sides of the equation, so I don't know that there's a "right" way.

At my company, we've chosen to only announce new services/products when they're available for purchase. Apple mostly does the same thing. The advantage is that you can buy it right away and you don't have any possible impacts to existing product lines, yada yada yada.

What I personally like about this is that I don't have to rush something to market, or apologize for delays due to something out of my control. I suppose this depends on how long something is "coming soon", but if you announce something too soon and it takes too long to come to market, you lose whatever momentum you may have built up. Not to mention giving competitors time to catch up.  ;D

Then again, GH is a community of early adopters and enthusiasts and we love hearing about new products before everyone else, so the nerd in me wants the same thing as danielucf and guilleguillaume -- more coming soon information!

Besides, how else can I get a loan approved in time for all the goodies I want to buy?!?  :confused:

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 13:27:29 »
For the people who think Sherryton shouldn't have kept this to himself, do you feel the same way about EK, which has been selling the red Esc keycap for a while, for higher price than Sherryton is selling?

For the people who think Sherryton shouldn't have kpet this to himself, what would you have done yourself if you were in his position and have tens of thousand of dollars locked in an order?

I *****ed and moaned about people who do group buy in name and use other people group buy payments to fund their money-making adventure, and many of you are OK with that.  Now, Sherryton put up his own money, or might have taken a big loan out (interest), so he can start a business to make a few bucks.  He assumes all the risk.  If no one buys it, he is screwed.  He would be swimming in keycaps in his bath tub.  If no one buys keycaps from a group buy... no, wait, that would never happen, because everyone has to pay up first and wait for months.  Remember someone asked you for more money because he screwed up and didn't count for keycap sorting fees, and you happily paid more?  I remembered and I paid more.  Try sorting a keycap set for a full size keyboard yourself.  Then try doing it hundreds of times.  How much do you think you should be paid for doing that 8 hours a day?

That possibility of backlash and risk of lost orders is why I decided not to work a sorting/shipping fee into the klaxon prices.  Hell, the backlash from i3 having any markup in the Breaking Bad stuff was nearly enough to chase me away from even organizing it.  The point, I guess, is that I'm having to do exactly the scenario you're proposing soon because of the braying about business/time values.

The funny part is that the biggest naysayer here has already ordered from the new site before sherry changed the prices.

I am new around here and as a result can't form a view on everything that has been discussed as don't know the back story but as a newb who is in the Klaxon GB and looking forward to the cool keys, I was expecting you to take a sorting / shipping and fee for your time and so I hope you add one on.

Nothing is for nothing and as you are doing the work you should get something from it even if it is a technically token payment. As I said I was really just reading this without knowing anything about it but your comment struck me so I hope you do add some sort of small fee. Yes you are doing something for the community but you are giving up your own time.

Offline metafour

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:13:39 »
I can see both sides of the equation, so I don't know that there's a "right" way.

At my company, we've chosen to only announce new services/products when they're available for purchase. Apple mostly does the same thing. The advantage is that you can buy it right away and you don't have any possible impacts to existing product lines, yada yada yada.

What I personally like about this is that I don't have to rush something to market, or apologize for delays due to something out of my control. I suppose this depends on how long something is "coming soon", but if you announce something too soon and it takes too long to come to market, you lose whatever momentum you may have built up. Not to mention giving competitors time to catch up.  ;D

Then again, GH is a community of early adopters and enthusiasts and we love hearing about new products before everyone else, so the nerd in me wants the same thing as danielucf and guilleguillaume -- more coming soon information!

Besides, how else can I get a loan approved in time for all the goodies I want to buy?!?  :confused:

This definitely depends on the company and the product. For Apple it makes sense because they have competitors that are constantly trying to match or one-up exactly what they're going to offer. However, if you're paying attention to not only the company's recent history and the credible analysts you pretty much know what is coming out when. For this market, I really just don't see the benefit of not releasing information on upcoming products. I feel I've made points regarding this in my earlier posts and I never hear anything credible about the benefits. All we got to see were ad hominem attacks which don't address my questions.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:31:01 »
I feel I've made points regarding this in my earlier posts and I never hear anything credible about the benefits. All we got to see were ad hominem attacks which don't address my questions.

There are certainly benefits.  But benefits to whom?  To you?  To the business owner?  To EK? 

Are you saying, as the business owner, you would release confidential information about what you had just ordered with your tens of thousands of dollars of investment from the manufacturer?  Are you saying you expected EK to tell the world he was going to be selling Cherry Red Esc keycaps right after he submitted his order to GMK?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:33:48 »
Thank you Sherryton for providing something hard to source for the community.

Too true, there are only a small handful of nasties in this group thus far, hence don't worry about it.

I'm just glad you're running this deal because I'm sure 99.5% of everyone here on Geekhack, would never even bother to offer anything like this.  Looking forward to getting some decent Cherry Key-sets.

The Shop Front is really sublime, very nice to look at and you can clearly scroll through your whole stock.  Nice one on the design and implementation a real credit to you and your skills, please try and keep some of it even if you're now 'possibly' re-designing everything from scratch.  Just keep us appraised on it's upgrade because I've yet to put any orders through and would love to.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:43:30 by Elrick »

Offline metafour

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 18:57:30 »
I feel I've made points regarding this in my earlier posts and I never hear anything credible about the benefits. All we got to see were ad hominem attacks which don't address my questions.

There are certainly benefits.  But benefits to whom?  To you?  To the business owner?  To EK? 

Are you saying, as the business owner, you would release confidential information about what you had just ordered with your tens of thousands of dollars of investment from the manufacturer?  Are you saying you expected EK to tell the world he was going to be selling Cherry Red Esc keycaps right after he submitted his order to GMK?

No, I don't expect EK to CC me and the rest of the world with the order. You know that's not what I'm advocating for but you want to reduce it to that level to get some point across that I don't see as following logically.

Let's say that EK did release that they were going to be selling the Red Esc before they had it available. Not immediately after they made the order but some time prior to them being available. What specifically is going to happen that's going to ruin their investment? We already know that GMK has a huge production backlog. Is someone going to try to step in with a larger order, one so large that it gets them into a spot in line ahead of EK's order and would most likely cost much more than EK invested and there may not be enough demand to sell them all?

Do I expect every business to tell everything about everything? No.

Do I see a potential to remove some of the negative transactions that occurred here as well as generate a marketing buzz possibly leading to higher sales and a better relationship with this community? Yes.

I just don't see how any party really benefits right now from this behavior given the constraints of the supplier and lack of competition in this space. I would genuinely appreciate it if you were more engaged and polite in debating this instead of being so reductive and abrasive with your questions.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:50:48 »
Under construction... :(

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:58:48 »
Yea, we must be patient! (damn, I am like the most impatient guy on earth!)  :eek: :eek:
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 20:01:00 »
Yeah... you're not kidding. I was signed off for the last few days, and I come back to a 6 page thread raving about all the cool products and what not... but under construction...

Offline metafour

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 20:04:42 »
Yeah... you're not kidding. I was signed off for the last few days, and I come back to a 6 page thread raving about all the cool products and what not... but under construction...

I have a feeling that when it comes back there will be even more cool products since the springs and stickers weren't up the first go around!

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 20:26:28 »
Yea, we must be patient! (damn, I am like the most impatient guy on earth!)  :eek: :eek:

i'm so impatient i can't even wait to pre-order something that isn't in stock yet WARARUAHGHGHAH

Offline cyclonechuah

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:15:26 »
No offense, but i have something to speak of my mind.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, Sherry founded Originative and GMK, correct?  i was wrong, fuzzyx3000 corrected me. =D

To be honest, i think of $130 is kinda expensive, but that alone just not gives me the privilege to complain or whine. But instead of saying anything bad or something, i would only provide a feedback which is "wow, it's expensive".
Someone might rage at the price for being so high, and think of it as taking advantage of the community or making quick bucks.

But as we always face the problem on group buy, if you are not happy with the price, how about passing it and wait for the next one. As production getting more and more stable, for sure the $130 will come down.

Since they just founded this company and providing service to the community, they might face some production difficulties, which is why they raise the keycap price higher abit inorder to cover those loss in production trial and error. You can consider this $130 as a kind of investment so this company would become more stable in a short period of time.

I'm not trying to help anyone, but each have their own situation and i might be wrong with what i'm thinking.
And i would like to compliment sherry to be honest. even though that i am not happy with the price, but he/she did come here to explain and even have discussion with he/her own company to drop the price down to $95.(which is not a good thing in my point of view)

Why i`m saying it is not a good thing, is because i do not wish this company will face "no profit" or even losing money doing this. And might face bankruptcy.

Price can come down later at time, but new company should get more support to build it's foundation more firmer instead of going a risky road by doing "non profit".

All in all, if you feel it's too expensive, don't buy it. Not that it sounded harsh or what, sometimes we just have to learn to give up in this. Not raging and becoming a keyboard troll master just to make others feel bad, and think of it as an act of justice.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:02:54 by cyclonechuah »

Offline fuzzyx3000

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:29:07 »

Please correct me if i'm wrong, Sherry founded Originative and GMK, correct?

You're wrong

Offline dirge

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 12:32:35 »
So anyone know the history of how GMK started?  How people found out they had the cherry tools and when?  Did they do the WEY boards?
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline cyclonechuah

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:01:56 »

Please correct me if i'm wrong, Sherry founded Originative and GMK, correct?

You're wrong
thanks for correcting me.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:44:36 »
@cyclonechuah Well said. You really get it. I wish everyone had this much common sense.

@dirge GMK has been around for a while. From the info I found on their website, it appears they just acquired the Cherry tooling this past summer. I would assume that the people who first found out about their production capabilities found out about it sometime last fall, and placed some orders to be able to have stock now. Not sure if they made those sets you mentioned.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sordna

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:45:47 »
Where is GMK located, and what's their website ?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:52:25 »
So anyone know the history of how GMK started?  How people found out they had the cherry tools and when?  Did they do the WEY boards?

Yes, GMK produced the banking boards for WEY.  The company dates back to the early 90's.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:58:48 by sherryton »

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:57:36 »
Where is GMK located, and what's their website ?

Germany

I'm not trying to help anyone, but each have their own situation and i might be wrong with what i'm thinking.
And i would like to compliment sherry to be honest. even though that i am not happy with the price, but he/she did come here to explain and even have discussion with he/her own company to drop the price down to $95.(which is not a good thing in my point of view)

Hehhehehe, I had the same issue with gender neutrality with CC - then he told us all that he urinates standing up  :))
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 January 2013, 14:02:09 by asura »

Offline dirge

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 15:31:04 »
sherry, jd, thanks :)

I do love those wey boards, been waiting to pick one up without bidding against another community member.

I like mods having the same colour as alphas. :)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline prava

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 09:40:39 »

I *****ed and moaned about people who do group buy in name and use other people group buy payments to fund their money-making adventure, and many of you are OK with that.  Now, Sherryton put up his own money, or might have taken a big loan out (interest), so he can start a business to make a few bucks.  He assumes all the risk.  If no one buys it, he is screwed.  He would be swimming in keycaps in his bath tub.  If no one buys keycaps from a group buy... no, wait, that would never happen, because everyone has to pay up first and wait for months.  Remember someone asked you for more money because he screwed up and didn't count for keycap sorting fees, and you happily paid more?  I remembered and I paid more.  Try sorting a keycap set for a full size keyboard yourself.  Then try doing it hundreds of times.  How much do you think you should be paid for doing that 8 hours a day?

I don't care if somebody paid upfront for a ton of keycaps that he plans to sell, really. Also, its quite funny that people compare business models with what happens in this community, when its like apples to monkeys, all at once.

What troubles me, and should trouble everyone, is that sherryton ordered a ton of product and, although he saw some people investing their time to organize a GB... he said nothing about it. So, the problem is not sherryton wanting to do business... the problem comes when his business screwed up a group-buy AND made the organizers look like idiots since sherryton will bring to the market some of the keycaps the group-buy was planning to bring.

Is it that hard to make an announcement:

"hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I made a deal with xXxXxXx company and will bring original Cherry DS to the market".

You do it like this, you are an upfront and honest person, and nobody gets hurt... because nobody will try to make a GB out of this if you can just get the keycaps the moment (or much closer) you pay for them. Instead, somebody made a "submarine" order... and waited for the GB organizers to have things planned to say "hey, I bought a ton of keycaps so don't bother with the GB". That is NOT what should have happened... and everybody would be happy.

To finish this... please, do not make comparisons between normal vendors and others. I don't see EK nor TKC disguised as a fellow members and then slashing everybody by releasing products. If anything, EK has always been fair with their CC keycaps, even though they KNEW they could make a killing for every single one of them... but they didn't. And what about TKC? They are very transparent about what they can and what they can't get, and don't wait for somebody to make a GB and then appear with all the same products on the shelf.

That is not how a business should work: either you are a part of this community, or you are a business people, but don't try to be both cause you will fail...  as its not nice to be disguised as a keyboard enthusiast and, at the same time, try to make money. Conflict of interest and that sort of things...

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 10:26:10 »
To finish this... please, do not make comparisons between normal vendors and others. I don't see EK nor TKC disguised as a fellow members and then slashing everybody by releasing products. If anything, EK has always been fair with their CC keycaps, even though they KNEW they could make a killing for every single one of them... but they didn't. And what about TKC? They are very transparent about what they can and what they can't get, and don't wait for somebody to make a GB and then appear with all the same products on the shelf.

That is not how a business should work: either you are a part of this community, or you are a business people, but don't try to be both cause you will fail...  as its not nice to be disguised as a keyboard enthusiast and, at the same time, try to make money. Conflict of interest and that sort of things...

I don't agree with this part at all. One of the best things about this place is that vendors are also active within the community so that we can communicate with them freely and accessibly. Sherryton has never "disguised" himself as a community member - he has always been well known as a vendor/retailer here, but he just so happens to be an active poster too, which is really great to see.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 11:00:51 »
There is still something that bothers me, how close are we to the 400 MOQ according to the IC?
This looks like a high number hard to reach.
If we can't find enough people to get the 400 orders this "drama" is pretty much useless.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 11:32:39 »
This thread is dead to me

Offline litster

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:36:22 »
I don't care if somebody paid upfront for a ton of keycaps that he plans to sell, really.

You don't care?  Or because you don't understand the difference? 

Also, its quite funny that people compare business models with what happens in this community, when its like apples to monkeys, all at once.

Oh, you do understand they are different.  But you are just confused.

What troubles me, and should trouble everyone, is that sherryton ordered a ton of product and, although he saw some people investing their time to organize a GB... he said nothing about it.  So, the problem is not sherryton wanting to do business... the problem comes when his business screwed up a group-buy AND made the organizers look like idiots since sherryton will bring to the market some of the keycaps the group-buy was planning to bring.

Is it that hard to make an announcement:

"hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I made a deal with xXxXxXx company and will bring original Cherry DS to the market".

You do it like this, you are an upfront and honest person, and nobody gets hurt... because nobody will try to make a GB out of this if you can just get the keycaps the moment (or much closer) you pay for them. Instead, somebody made a "submarine" order... and waited for the GB organizers to have things planned to say "hey, I bought a ton of keycaps so don't bother with the GB". That is NOT what should have happened... and everybody would be happy.

Do you know for a fact that he said nothing?  I know Lysol knows about it ahead of time.  Lysol posted on his IC thread about it, and then he removed it.  Not many people read it before it was deleted.  Dan also said he knew about it and that he promised to keep it to himself.  I would like Lysol's effort to continue as there are always more color combos and language kits that we would only do in group buys.  Keep it going, Lysol.

I bet EK and some other companies have orders submitted to GMK.  Otherwise GMK wouldn't be this busy.  According to prava, you all should come out and tell everyone what you just ordered.  Or you are doing the community a disservice, even though you have invested tens of thousand of dollars, prava doesn't care, your money be damned. 

To finish this... please, do not make comparisons between normal vendors and others.

Really?  You just did, below.  And tell me which vendors who are not in the vendors forum.

I don't see EK nor TKC disguised as a fellow members and then slashing everybody by releasing products. If anything, EK has always been fair with their CC keycaps, even though they KNEW they could make a killing for every single one of them... but they didn't.

Yeah, has EK told the community what CC keycaps he is going to sell in 2 months?  Did EK tell the community that he ordered Cherry Red Esc keycaps from GMK?  EK's Cherry Red Esc keycaps showed up back in December.  So EK knew about GMK and made his order while we are planning the GMK group buy.  But he didn't tell us.  Why don't you ask EK why he didn't tell us?

And what about TKC? They are very transparent about what they can and what they can't get, and don't wait for somebody to make a GB and then appear with all the same products on the shelf.

Yeah? You know what Filcos they just ordered from Diatec?  Where is the Filco group buy on GH that TheKeyboardCo (not TKC) didn't mess up?  I want to join.

That is not how a business should work: either you are a part of this community, or you are a business people, but don't try to be both cause you will fail... 
You are confused again.  Maybe not again, just still confused.  You declare Originative failed.  How so?  Because Originative did you tell you what they ordered from GMK?  Yep, total failure according to prava.  Yep, If Originative didn't do this, I wouldn't have a chance to order a set of Olivette double shot keycaps, but now I can own a set.  Yep, total failure.

as its not nice to be disguised as a keyboard enthusiast and, at the same time, try to make money. Conflict of interest and that sort of things...

Again, tell us which vendors are not on GH's vendors forum.

So, prava, if you were in Originative's position, having invested tens of thousand of dollars in a big order with GMK, you will tell the world that you just did that, so everyone on GH knows about it, so EK, and so other unknown-to-you companies can counter your business goals, and you would expect these other companies to do the same?

Do you play poker with open cards?

Offline litster

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:45:36 »
monitor the forums as in he doesn't read the forum threads, or you don't see he replies to forum threads? 

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:46:22 »
What's wrong with a business noticing there is an upcoming group buy on a certain item and seeing there is a market to be had?

I think many of you get too attached to the idea of purchasing keycaps a 'community thing' when it really isn't. We're here to talk, discuss, share, and display our keyboards/caps...

However, when it comes down to buying the product, it's coming out of my own pocket and my wallet doesn't care whether I pay into a group buy or an individual seller.

tl;dr --> Community =/= business

Offline litster

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:47:59 »
keymaster knows what he is talking about.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:59:03 »
keymaster knows what he is talking about.

The $250 Esc key cannot tell a lie.

Offline litster

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 15:38:44 »
monitor the forums as in he doesn't read the forum threads, or you don't see he replies to forum threads? 

I'm saying EK probably doesn't visit the forums unless someone talks smack about Leopold/RF and a fan points it out to them.

They ask everyone to sign up for the newsletter but then they don't put one out when new product is in stock; if that gives you any indication into how involved they are.

How do you know that EK doesn't visit the forums unless someone talks smack about what he sells?  How do you know he doesn't just browse different sub forums here with his account or and not post?  Do you have GH's access log?

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:44:46 »
[...]

I think many of you get too attached to the idea of purchasing keycaps a 'community thing' when it really isn't. We're here to talk, discuss, share, and display our keyboards/caps...

[...]

Are you really sure about that? I know for sure you weren't here 2 years ago because purchasing keycaps was indeed a "community thing" as you like to call it.

Some of you arrived on the past months when GH has become just a bunch of greedy people  trying to screw up everyone they can no matter what. Of course there are really nice users here but too many *******s came here and they made this forum their home. Because of that this forum now stinks quite bad.

I'm not telling that Sherryton is one of them just telling you that you've only known the bad GH and those things you're talking about are taken as normal things were they weren't on the past.

Geek Hack have never been about making money or finding a way to create business for some.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:50:28 by guilleguillaume »

Offline keymaster

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 18:49:55 »
[...]

[...]

Are you really sure about that? I know for sure you weren't here 2 years ago because purchasing keycaps was indeed a "community thing" as you like to call it.

Some of you arrived on the past months when GH has become just a bunch of greedy people  trying to screw up everyone they can no matter what. Of course there are really nice users here but too many *******s came here and they made this forum their home. Because of that this forum now stinks quite bad.

It was merely a "community thing" because there was no other alternative. Now, there is greater demand than ever for cherry mx keycaps, and thus, businesses and individual sellers are emerging to fill in the demand with product.

Offline litster

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:03:25 »
I can't paste tables like I used to be able to with the old vB forum software.  This may help people understand the differences.  Let me know if I missed something or if you have suggestions

12491-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:24:41 by litster »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:04:11 »
[...]

[...]

I'm not telling that Sherryton is one of them just telling you that you've only known the bad GH and those things you're talking about are taken as normal things were they weren't on the past.

Geek Hack have never been about making money or finding a way to create business for some.

but yet, ragnarok got a pass for adding fees to his group buys.

and then, when he messed up on certain things (like sorting) he cried and people gave him more money.

where were all these people complaining about that?

it was me, lit, and sth constantly complaining. nobody else, everybody stayed quite while he used YOUR(well not specifically yours, but the people that were in his GBs) money to get lower prices and make profit.

profiting off GH happened way before this.

at least this time, sherryton used his own money and took the risk of not even breaking even. because, as stated multiple times, his order was put in way before GH knew of GMK or before there was an IC open.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:13:27 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #197 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:23:16 »

However, when it comes down to buying the product, it's coming out of my own pocket and my wallet doesn't care whether I pay into a group buy or an individual seller.

it sure used to be.
that shift is one of the reasons i mostly just post in off topic these days; a bunch of MBA students discovered keyboards and decided to turn their hobby into a profit, and in the process convinced a majority of geekhack that profiteering off of keycaps should be the NORM rather than the exception.
nobody has been able to give me a compelling reason why that should be the case (and please, just don't bother trying; i've been in/instigated this discussion countless times in the past), and i am still of the minority opinion that profiteering WITHIN a hobby community is antisocial and poisonous to the community.
the current state of geekhack reflects this and as such i am not as interested in continuing to engage in what used to be a community but now feels like a group of greedy individuals showing off and competing in an unhealthy and excessive manner.
OGs and real deals: keep doin ya thang. keycap nubs: go home. profiteers and capitalists: i have no sympathy for you, let the market gut you for all you're worth.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline keymaster

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:30:22 »

it sure used to be.
that shift is one of the reasons i mostly just post in off topic these days; a bunch of MBA students discovered keyboards and decided to turn their hobby into a profit, and in the process convinced a majority of geekhack that profiteering off of keycaps should be the NORM rather than the exception.
nobody has been able to give me a compelling reason why that should be the case (and please, just don't bother trying; i've been in/instigated this discussion countless times in the past), and i am still of the minority opinion that profiteering WITHIN a hobby community is antisocial and poisonous to the community.
the current state of geekhack reflects this and as such i am not as interested in continuing to engage in what used to be a community but now feels like a group of greedy individuals showing off and competing in an unhealthy and excessive manner.
OGs and real deals: keep doin ya thang. keycap nubs: go home. profiteers and capitalists: i have no sympathy for you, let the market gut you for all you're worth.

Oh boy, I guess no one can make profits off of aftermarket parts for cars, computers, etc. because these are all hobbies.  :rolleyes:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:34:44 »

Oh boy, I guess no one can make profits off of aftermarket parts for cars, computers, etc. because these are all hobbies.  :rolleyes:

what is your point? there is next to no commercial hobbyist keyboard industry in america save a couple of hard-working companies that do not ally themselves with geekhack anymore.

like i said there is practically nothing you can say to me that's going to change my mind about this, and being sarcastic in an earnest conversation with people who have seen this change in geekhack is earning you zero credibility.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace