Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2776915 times)

Offline AuRinBei

Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #1250 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 23:03:06 »
I recently switched back to my Poker II. I got one of those low-rider aluminum TEX cases for it not too long ago. Never underestimate the effect a metal case can have on the feel of a keyboard. It went from OK to great. Bottoming out feels much better than it did before, the board feels like it's bolted to the desk, and the spacebar no longer feels like garbage. I don't know if I prefer it to my FC660C for typing, but at least now it holds its own. I'm now waiting on some POM caps for it. Really exited to see how those change the feel.
87u || Poker 2

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1251 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 00:09:54 »
I recently switched back to my Poker II. I got one of those low-rider aluminum TEX cases for it not too long ago. Never underestimate the effect a metal case can have on the feel of a keyboard. It went from OK to great. Bottoming out feels much better than it did before, the board feels like it's bolted to the desk, and the spacebar no longer feels like garbage. I don't know if I prefer it to my FC660C for typing, but at least now it holds its own. I'm now waiting on some POM caps for it. Really exited to see how those change the feel.

You just made me think of something.  Anyone ever tried building a keyboard into their desk?  I mean using the desktop itself as the "case" for the keyboard?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1252 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 00:45:04 »

You just made me think of something.  Anyone ever tried building a keyboard into their desk?  I mean using the desktop itself as the "case" for the keyboard?

Technically, yes.  Everyone who used a punch card machine used exactly what you describe.   :))

And I may end up doing the same with my punch card keyboard conversion project, but that remains to be seen.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #1253 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 13:38:13 »
IBM XT with Mac, Linux and Windows using a Hagstrom Electronics converter. Remapped the keyboard to a pseudo Mac HHKB layout using KeyRemap4Macbook and fitted the remapped spots with keys from IBM 122 and Model M boards along with some purchased from Unicomp.

The XT board makes my IBM SSK seem mushy by comparison, and at nearly six pounds, it certainly outweighs my HHKB!

Does the hagstrom have NKRO?

My understanding is that like the teensy and Soarer converter, NKRO is supported by the Hagstrom converter if the keyboard to which the converter is connected supports it. I think that this is so for both the IBM XT and IBM AT keyboards.

Offline aref

« Reply #1254 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 16:07:25 »
Half the day with a Realforce 87UB; and half with a Corsair K65/MX Red keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 16:13:35 by SSKGuy »

Offline System32

« Reply #1255 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 17:23:22 »
I was using my CM Storm Quickfire Rapid until I got a Leopold FC660M with blues, now I can't go back.

I might even sell my QFR, I haven't used it in forever..

Offline aref

« Reply #1256 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 17:48:52 »
I was using my CM Storm Quickfire Rapid until I got a Leopold FC660M with blues, now I can't go back.

What is it about the Leopold that you prefer it to the QFR?
Do MX Blue switches have a different feel compared with your QFR?

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #1257 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 18:19:00 »
In work, a Fujitsu rubber dome one (some clackiness but not a lot).

At home, either the Macbook Air standard laptop keyboard or the nice wired silver and white keyboard by Apple.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #1258 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 18:19:45 »
Can't move away from dat HHKB.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #1259 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 18:21:37 »

I'm going to make a guess, he likes 60% too much to go back to his TKL. I had a QFR w/ reds and a Filco MJ2 w/ reds and they felt drastically different actually.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline aref

« Reply #1260 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 18:31:35 »

I'm going to make a guess, he likes 60% too much to go back to his TKL. I had a QFR w/ reds and a Filco MJ2 w/ reds and they felt drastically different actually.

I had a CMQFR and Filco M2 with MX Red switches and didn't care for either of them--but there was a difference in feel between these keyboards. Between the two KBs, I preferred the Filco M2 because  it had a slightly better feel to me over the CMQFR. However, I prefer the Corsair K65 with MX Red switches compared with CMQFR and Filco M2 keyboards.

It may be the form factor that System32 prefers. Let's see what System32 has to say.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #1261 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 18:35:28 »
Still gettin it with the Filco MJ2!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline System32

« Reply #1262 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 18:36:37 »

Basically this, the layout and size just feels so much better. They're both blue switches and yes the ones on the Leopold do feel a bit different, but that's not why I don't use it anymore. It's just the size thing.

Kinda funny, when I was looking at mechs for the first time I was amazed at how many people had keyboards without numpads, etc. But after using a more 'minimal' keyboard I totally get it, there's something about it that just feels... right.

Offline aref

« Reply #1263 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 18:41:28 »

Basically this, the layout and size just feels so much better. They're both blue switches and yes the ones on the Leopold do feel a bit different, but that's not why I don't use it anymore. It's just the size thing.

Kinda funny, when I was looking at mechs for the first time I was amazed at how many people had keyboards without numpads, etc. But after using a more 'minimal' keyboard I totally get it, there's something about it that just feels... right.

If the form-factor and the key switches suit you, there's nothing more one can ask for in a keyboard. Enjoy your FC660M.

Offline System32

« Reply #1264 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:34:36 »
If the form-factor and the key switches suit you, there's nothing more one can ask for in a keyboard. Enjoy your FC660M.

I am enjoying it a lot, thanks!

Offline skrotnisse

« Reply #1265 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 07:13:54 »
A Ducky Yellow Yellow Yellow. Because it´s so yellow!

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #1266 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 07:24:04 »
Filco "Otaku" Majestouch TKL :)

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #1267 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 08:47:00 »
Switched back to my Matias Quiet Pro after a long break.  I almost sold this keyboard but happy I didnt.  I am used to the wobbly caps now and I like the feel of the switches. 
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline Furobins

« Reply #1268 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 11:52:33 »
Filco Majestouch 2 full red/aluminum Poker II red at work, FC600c/Filco Tenkeyless blue at home.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1269 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:23:48 »
Went back to MX blacks after probably 4 months without using them.

I don't want to get rid of the unicorn vomit, but I need to put a new set on this board :|

what to do, what to do...
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline aref

« Reply #1270 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:47:52 »
Realforce 87UB, 55-gram key switches.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #1271 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:49:37 »
Realforce 87UB, 55-gram key switches.

that's not the right keyboard for a SSKGuy!  :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1272 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:49:46 »
I forgot my Filco at home...so I'm on a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. A rubber dome! The horror :(

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #1273 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:51:15 »
this

61820-0

Offline aref

« Reply #1274 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 17:31:50 »
this

(Attachment Link)

Now that's a Sweet, Sweet Keyboard. If that's an industrial paint-mod, nicely done!

When I signed on to GH, I was three SSKs into the space-saving Model Ms. But as soon
as I returned to my boxed 87UB/55-gram, I found it UnBelievably smooth.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 18:28:31 by SSKGuy »

Offline iisshaun

• New Blood
« Reply #1275 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 23:34:45 »
Currently my WASD Custom V1 with Blue switches. Waiting on the KBT Pure Pro with blues to arrive.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1276 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 05:29:20 »
A Ducky Yellow Yellow Yellow. Because it´s so yellow!

Good man - that's the way to go! ;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline WONDERBRIGHT

• Steelseries !
« Reply #1277 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 06:22:15 »
6Gv2 with Cherry MX Red Switches and Ducky Shine 3 with Cherry MX Blue Switches ;)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #1278 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:12:26 »
this

(Attachment Link)

Amazing looking board, still tempted to try one of these but can't do that without buying one so right now it's not possible. 

Got to agree with SSKGuy though, the realforce 87ub 55g is amazing, currently my home board with my HHKB type-s at work. I have found that given some time you do learn to seamlessly switch between the two layouts, ctrl is in the correct position on both my boards though  :p

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #1279 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:25:30 »
this

(Attachment Link)

Now that's a Sweet, Sweet Keyboard. If that's an industrial paint-mod, nicely done!

When I signed on to GH, I was three SSKs into the space-saving Model Ms. But as soon

thanks. But it's not paint. It's a real industrial topshell. But I had no good light when I took the pic, so it looks a bit strange.

Here's an older pic on my desk:

Offline reefchief

« Reply #1280 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:30:03 »
Those rgb model m keys make me want one even more! I love rgb. Are they easy to find? Waiting on granite / rgb for my qfr blue.

Between my QFR blue and a topre realforce 55g my realforce gets about 90% of the love. I cant escape the thock.
QFR TKL Blue / Topre 55g realforce TKL

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #1281 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:47:19 »
Those rgb model m keys make me want one even more! I love rgb. Are they easy to find?

You can buy them printed or unprinted at unicomp :)

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1282 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 12:20:00 »
I forgot my Filco at home...so I'm on a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. A rubber dome! The horror :(
*shudders*
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Lurch

« Reply #1283 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 12:29:17 »
I am currently typing on my new Realforce 104UW variable. Curious to how variable will feel after using it for an extended period of time. I do like the idea of variable weighted keys in general.

I also have a brand new F660C sitting next to me, still in box. Not sure about opening it in the office. People might think I'm crazy, or something. :thumb:

Here is a little camera phone shot:

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1284 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 13:51:32 »
laptop keyboard :'(

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #1285 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 14:11:04 »
this

(Attachment Link)

thanks. But it's not paint. It's a real industrial topshell. But I had no good light when I took the pic, so it looks a bit strange.

Here's an older pic on my desk:

Show Image

Your SSK is so sweet Snoopy  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #1286 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:06:22 »
IBM XT with HHKB - Mac layout.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #1287 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:20:12 »
I have been using a QFR @ home and a Poker II @ work, both with cherry mx browns. Love both boards.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1288 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:30:41 »

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #1289 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:42:14 »
THIS! Just got it today. Wasd + Vortex double shot pbts. I randomly switch between blues and browns every couple months... I'm fickle... This Wasd has blues.

I hate everything.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1290 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:42:52 »
tk w/ reds. Going to game on it later

Offline blackbox

« Reply #1291 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 14:39:13 »
Just modified my dell AT102w(comes with alps black keyswitches). So now im using a Dell AT102w with matias standard clicky. Love the clicky sound.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 April 2014, 04:11:26 by blackbox »
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline aref

« Reply #1292 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 21:21:19 »
Corsair K65/MX Red for the entire day.

Offline barryberry

« Reply #1293 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 01:47:01 »
Work: KBT RACE II (Red)
Home: Razer Blackwidow ultimate (Blue)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #1294 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 01:54:48 »
Just modified my dell AT102w(comes with alps black keyswitches). So now im using a Dell AT102 with matias standard clicky. Love the clicky sound.

I'd love a typing test video of that. Matias clicky are fun but make a huge unconscionable racket in my Tactile Pro. Are they better in the Dell?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #1295 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 04:14:42 »
Just modified my dell AT102w(comes with alps black keyswitches). So now im using a Dell AT102 with matias standard clicky. Love the clicky sound.

I'd love a typing test video of that. Matias clicky are fun but make a huge unconscionable racket in my Tactile Pro. Are they better in the Dell?
Not sure what you mean with unconscionable racket but they are fun for sure. I love how clicky and loud they are. Maybe I make a typing test video in the weekend.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline Lurch

« Reply #1296 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 07:14:23 »
Brought my Leopold FC660C into work today. ;D :thumb:

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #1297 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:34:20 »
Loving gaming and typing on a QF TK.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1298 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 15:18:49 »
BACK ON MY 55g TOPRE, SUCKAS

Offline suby4me

« Reply #1299 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 16:27:04 »
das keyboard 4. after i spilled coffee on the mac version  :))
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB