Author Topic: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards  (Read 100763 times)

Offline yester64

Re: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:11:01 »
$510 :))

If that was a serious bid, then like I said someone's gonna be pissed when they find out what these really cost.

Not sure. I think people pay double the price for things they want to have ahead of anyone else. Just see console sales or iPhone's. People are crazy.
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 18:43:08 »
Anyone know if these will be back in stock?

I'm looking for a white backlit clear board, and this one seems the best fit.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:55:15 »
They will, but probably not with Clears. Clears seem to be having somewhat of a global shortage for the time being.

Offline yester64

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 21:32:33 »
Bummer. Were the 84 key version actually cheaper? Just curious. I will wait until there is a clear available.
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline tbc

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 21:49:28 »
nope. same price.

although for the longest time, everyone was complaining there was no TKL version because no one clicked through the link.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 23:22:09 »
Would you advise waiting for the CODE to restock in a different switch or just get a Ducky Shine 3?

Offline tbc

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 23:34:15 »
the ONLY good thing i see from the CODE is easily accessible mx clears.  it's overpriced now that the clears are MIA
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #157 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 23:42:49 »
the ONLY good thing i see from the CODE is easily accessible mx clears.  it's overpriced now that the clears are MIA

I'm planning on getting a white backlit board anyways, and if I got a CODE with different switches, it would be the same price as a shine 3. I guess another way to word my question is is the build quality of the WASD CODE better than that of the shine 3?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 20:16:05 »
So has anyone here actually gotten one?  Curious to see opinions.  (I guess I should check the Reviews forum... lazy!)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 22:31:36 »
THEY ARE BACK IN STOCK WITH CLEARS.

Its 175 for me taxed and shipped.

Going to order it tomorrow, its pretty late right now where I live

Offline Belfong

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 01:01:54 »
BOUGHT!!

Thanks!

But now I regretted!

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 03:48:48 »
THEY ARE BACK IN STOCK WITH CLEARS.

Its 175 for me taxed and shipped.

Going to order it tomorrow, its pretty late right now where I live

erm still shows as out of stock and at $149.99
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Belfong

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 04:01:38 »
There is a Order Now button. Click that and you are in WASD website and then you can add to cart. After that you can calculate shipping cost and submit billing info.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 04:57:46 »
I just checked. The order now works but there was no Add To Cart. Showed as Out of Stock.

That was fast. I am glad I got it.

What about you Pacifist as it was your post that clued me to it. I hope you got it!

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:42:34 »
There is a Order Now button. Click that and you are in WASD website and then you can add to cart. After that you can calculate shipping cost and submit billing info.

You must've been seeing a completely different page than me, then. Because there wasn't (and still isn't) a way to 'add to cart'

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:30:03 »
Looks like they're out of stock again. Blink and you'll miss it.

[)amien

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:51:02 »
I just checked. The order now works but there was no Add To Cart. Showed as Out of Stock.

That was fast. I am glad I got it.

What about you Pacifist as it was your post that clued me to it. I hope you got it!

My debit and paypal had together over 175 but spilt around. So I tried to move money from paypal to debit, but it takes 3-4 days. So I couldn't buy the board.

Good thing is because they have restocked before, they will probally restock again and I can buy it then

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 17:10:38 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48940.msg1053116#msg1053116

Sorry, but we have a very limited supply of the Clear keyboards, so we are reserving them for our custom keyboard orders. As with the CODE keyboard, we have more Clear switches on order, but don't expect them for at least 12-14 months.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 18:53:10 »
They are "ultra-rare" for commonly available mechanical keyboards.  Most people here who have clears have either modded them or have gotten some rare keyboards with them.  You have to really look to get a keyboard with Clears, whereas Browns / Reds / Blacks / Blues / and even Greens (thanks to CM) are readily available.  I can think of Ducky's limited edition keyboard with thick PBT caps (sold out) and the WASD v2 (not in stock) off the top of my head.  What else?  Not anything commonly accessible without thoroughly searching.

Keycool has a board with clear switches and it is really cheap (like other boards by Keycool).
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 18:57:28 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48940.msg1053116#msg1053116

Sorry, but we have a very limited supply of the Clear keyboards, so we are reserving them for our custom keyboard orders. As with the CODE keyboard, we have more Clear switches on order, but don't expect them for at least 12-14 months.

Are you kidding me. FML if only paypal and money transfers weren't so stupid....

Offline Belfong

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 19:36:12 »
Hmm.. I checked out using PayPal. It deducted whatever I have in PayPal and the remaining charged to my credit card. Can't you do the same?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 19:45:38 »
Hmm.. I checked out using PayPal. It deducted whatever I have in PayPal and the remaining charged to my credit card. Can't you do the same?

My account is really old, not sure if 1. I used a credit card or a bank account or 2. the credit card registered still works.

Offline dante

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 20:00:18 »
They are "ultra-rare" for commonly available mechanical keyboards.  Most people here who have clears have either modded them or have gotten some rare keyboards with them.  You have to really look to get a keyboard with Clears, whereas Browns / Reds / Blacks / Blues / and even Greens (thanks to CM) are readily available.  I can think of Ducky's limited edition keyboard with thick PBT caps (sold out) and the WASD v2 (not in stock) off the top of my head.  What else?  Not anything commonly accessible without thoroughly searching.

Keycool has a board with clear switches and it is really cheap (like other boards by Keycool).

I would be cautious of those.  qtan at one time stated that he didn't import those due to risks of fake/cloned/counterfeit switches.  On one hand if that were true you'd probably see a lot more of them available.  On the other my Keycool 87 w/ "Clears" was the lightest feeling MX Clear keyboard I've ever tried.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 20:08:20 »

I would be cautious of those.  qtan at one time stated that he didn't import those due to risks of fake/cloned/counterfeit switches.  On one hand if that were true you'd probably see a lot more of them available.  On the other my Keycool 87 w/ "Clears" was the lightest feeling MX Clear keyboard I've ever tried.

Wow I never thought about that possibility. Thanks for bringing that up.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Belfong

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 23:21:34 »
Now that I am invested in the Code, I am concerned of the quality of the key cap. Because of it being a backlight...
Quote from: from wasdkeyboards here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47645.0
Keycaps: The keys are molded from translucent plastic, painted, laser etched to remove the paint, then coated with a protective clear coat. V2's use our standard ABS keys which as molded from colored plastic and directly laser etched without the need for paint.

What sort of materials is it? Will the paint peel? Does it feel rubbery like Razer's paint which was not so nice.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 23:55:59 »
Sexy board. Would buy if i wasn't willing to pay the money for a Korean board. Lovin' it

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 00:20:11 »
Sexy board. Would buy if i wasn't willing to pay the money for a Korean board. Lovin' it

Would buy if there were any in stock during the next 12-14 months ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 01:37:03 »
A year....Cherry is out of stock for a year... bull****. This smells of artificial inflation.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 04:04:50 »
Out of curiosity, would I be able to purchase PBT key caps from wasdkeyboards and plug into the Code? I know I won't get individual backlit keys but that should still work, right?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 04:39:24 »
Yes, although the WASD keycaps are ABS, and they don't have any plans for PBT ones.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 08:24:37 »
A year....Cherry is out of stock for a year... bull****. This smells of artificial inflation.

Perhaps one of the other 'large' players in the keyboard market has bought up clears for their own products??

Offline dante

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 12:15:43 »

I'm still trying to figure out why Red's are more expensive.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 12:56:35 »
I'm pretty sure cherrry makes more blues, reds, and browns than say clears or greens, but still, there shouldn't be a 1 year shortage

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 12:58:12 »

I'm still trying to figure out why Red's are more expensive.

Because someone said they were the 'best' 'gamer' switch and everyone went nuts.  ;D

I'm pretty sure cherrry makes more blues, reds, and browns than say clears or greens, but still, there shouldn't be a 1 year shortage

One would think so, but when logitech bought up all the browns there was a shortage so I refer back to my earlier post...

Perhaps one of the other 'large' players in the keyboard market has bought up clears for their own products??

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 13:04:29 »
How long did the brown shortage last?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #185 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 13:07:13 »
Let's say bucklings are the ultimate switch that make you have 1,000 WPM and watch the value of them skyrocket

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 13:40:36 »
Out of curiosity, would I be able to purchase PBT key caps from wasdkeyboards and plug into the Code? I know I won't get individual backlit keys but that should still work, right?

Yep, I threw the Retro DSA on mine. Looks and feels great once I put some tape on the stabilizer stems.

[)amien

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 13:42:17 »
How long did the brown shortage last?

Most of this year. New Brown keyboards that aren't G710+ have finally begun to re-emerge from what I've been seeing.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 14:49:34 »
Lucky bastard with Retro DSAs.

I have been seeing some browns around, but then again, I just recently started looking. Crazy when you go a while without having time for hobbies what you miss out on.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:35:28 »
I borrowed a Code from a coworker today and reaffirmed that clears are not for me.  Also wasn't impressed with the keycaps.  The paint picks up grease and scratches easily and feels terrible, and the legends are tiny and hard to see without the backlight on. The stabilizer wires also come out of their plastic clips very easily when removing the keycaps.

Offline Belfong

new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 04:55:17 »
Yeah I gotta agree on the key caps paint picking up grease. I find it is made of the same matte material that the 2013 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate case. I'm surprise to see this as Jeff Atwood, the guy who co-created the Code was very vocal against glossy case and fingerprints and what not.

Edit: Photo!
Look at the Shift and Z keys;
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 05:01:29 by Belfong »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 05:13:26 »
^ You can really see in that pic that the legends are quite small.  With backlighting off and in low light conditions it would be difficult to see them.

Although really with a backlit keyboard who uses it with the backlight off?  Both my Ducky Shines have the backlighting on pretty much all the time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Belfong

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 05:18:42 »
^ You can really see in that pic that the legends are quite small.  With backlighting off and in low light conditions it would be difficult to see them.
I turned off backlight and pretend it is a Filco-Ninja like blank keys. Good for me to practice without the legends.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:07:14 »
Yeah I gotta agree on the key caps paint picking up grease. I find it is made of the same matte material that the 2013 Razer BlackWidow Ultimate case. I'm surprise to see this as Jeff Atwood, the guy who co-created the Code was very vocal against glossy case and fingerprints and what not.

Edit: Photo!
Look at the Shift and Z keys;
Show Image

I feel obliged to point out that any surface you ever touch with your fingers will have a residue left from the natural oils in your skin. Unless you replace your fingers with rubber. Even my PBT caps will have residue that I might not necessarily see, but I can feel.

Different texture / or keycap material will not change this fact of biology. The only way to change it is to change your fingers, or type using a proxy. Both of which are impractical.

Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit facetious, but moaning about this kind of thing is like moaning that your smartphone touchscreen exhibits fingerprints when it's being used. There needs to be some element of common sense and acceptance of physics + biology here. You touch something, you will leave a trace. It's just the way it is.

For what it's worth, in that picture I can hardly see any mark on the Shift or Z key, or on any of the keys.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:12:14 »
Yes, that's pretty normal for all the smooth-textured caps usually used for backlit keyboards.  Both Ducky Shine caps and CM Storm Trigger caps have the same issue that I can attest to.  Just wipe them with a damp soft paper towel periodically. 
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:58:15 »
I feel obliged to point out that any surface you ever touch with your fingers will have a residue left from the natural oils in your skin. Unless you replace your fingers with rubber. Even my PBT caps will have residue that I might not necessarily see, but I can feel.

Different texture / or keycap material will not change this fact of biology. The only way to change it is to change your fingers, or type using a proxy. Both of which are impractical.

Nobody was confused on this point.  The Code's painted keycaps make the oily residue very obvious and visible, more so than other keycaps I've used.

Offline dante

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:59:18 »
I borrowed a Code from a coworker today and reaffirmed that clears are not for me.  Also wasn't impressed with the keycaps.  The paint picks up grease and scratches easily and feels terrible, and the legends are tiny and hard to see without the backlight on. The stabilizer wires also come out of their plastic clips very easily when removing the keycaps.

Thanks for saving us some money bro!

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:30:48 »

Nobody was confused on this point.  The Code's painted keycaps make the oily residue very obvious and visible, more so than other keycaps I've used.

Common sense and some cursory glances at the promotional photographs would've made this attribute very clear. Again, I refer to my point about touchscreens and fingerprints. Unless purchasers didn't actually check the specifications and the pictures, everyone who purchased the keyboard should've known that

1. The keycaps would be ABS.
2. The keycaps would not be textured.
3. The keycaps will wear due to the fact that they are transparent keycaps that have a coating on them.

As with most purchases, if one doesn't do their homework (so to speak), you can't really have any valid expectations of resistance to finger grease. I know it sounds crass, and I don't mean it to come across as offensive so please forgive me if I am coming across as offensive. It's just it seems like a very simple thing to me, and it boggles my mind that people didn't expect this.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:53:35 »
I know it sounds crass, and I don't mean it to come across as offensive so please forgive me if I am coming across as offensive. It's just it seems like a very simple thing to me, and it boggles my mind that people didn't expect this.

I'm not offended, just puzzled at why you feel the need to slap down a valid critique of the keyboard.

It's just it seems like a very simple thing to me, and it boggles my mind that people didn't expect this.

It's not simple to many people.  Some are newbs who don't understand all the implications of the keycap material and paint.  Or experienced keyboard people who have just never encountered translucent material + paint keycaps before.  Or, like me, someone who simply borrowed the keyboard for an unrelated purpose and did no "research" at all.

Regardless, even if everyone expected it, it's still perfectly valid to mention it when talking about the keyboard.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:07:55 »
I know it sounds crass, and I don't mean it to come across as offensive so please forgive me if I am coming across as offensive. It's just it seems like a very simple thing to me, and it boggles my mind that people didn't expect this.

I'm not offended, just puzzled at why you feel the need to slap down a valid critique of the keyboard.

It's just it seems like a very simple thing to me, and it boggles my mind that people didn't expect this.

It's not simple to many people.  Some are newbs who don't understand all the implications of the keycap material and paint.  Or experienced keyboard people who have just never encountered translucent material + paint keycaps before.  Or, like me, someone who simply borrowed the keyboard for an unrelated purpose and did no "research" at all.

Regardless, even if everyone expected it, it's still perfectly valid to mention it when talking about the keyboard.

I apologise, you are absolutely right.

Thanks for giving me a needed smack upside the head!