Author Topic: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards  (Read 100664 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: new CODE keyboard from WASDkeyboards
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:07:03 »
I didn't even want one nor did I have any desire to buy one but I bought one anyway because I had way too much money in my paypal.

If this is ever a problem for you again, just slide some of that dinero over my way, and I'll send you something equivalent in return. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #251 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:07:32 »
I didn't even want one nor did I have any desire to buy one but I bought one anyway because I had way too much money in my paypal.

If this is ever a problem for you again, just slide some of that dinero over my way, and I'll send you something equivalent in return. :D

;)

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #252 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:25:12 »

;)
I will do the same offer!  Feel free to send me things too haha

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #253 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:36:03 »
I got the email when I was out walking my dog. Email hit at 437, order confirmation email at 451. I had to re-submit about five or six times because it kept erroring out.
Finally a 104 key clear, woot.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 18:30:57 »
104 key clear are sold out again
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Belfong

« Reply #255 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 03:36:17 »
So I am curious. Code Clear seemed to be really popular but then you don't see many people talking about it in GH. I mean, I had the Code TKL from the first batch and I have a feeling that I am the only one with one and many people are talking about other keyboards and stuff, except Code - so I am surprised to see that the site is being brought down. Maybe the people interested in Code are not from GH!

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #256 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 03:45:01 »
So I am curious. Code Clear seemed to be really popular but then you don't see many people talking about it in GH. I mean, I had the Code TKL from the first batch and I have a feeling that I am the only one with one and many people are talking about other keyboards and stuff, except Code - so I am surprised to see that the site is being brought down. Maybe the people interested in Code are not from GH!

it wasn't talked about a lot because of the lack of availability.
This is also why keyboards like QFR and what not are mentioned frequently, because of readily availability.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #257 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 03:55:33 »
Possible.. so I can't wait for a few reviews and discussion now that you all have it.

Offline cultofjosh

« Reply #258 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:07:52 »
Wow. I can't believe that thing sold out so quickly. I was thinking of getting a 2nd TKL as none of the keyboard projects I'm working on will be done for several months. My current one was acquired on ebay several months ago at an extraordinary markup. My first mechanical and the whole reason I joined Geek Hack. I love it. Of course, it's been upgraded to Cherry Replica keycaps :D

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 09:17:06 »
Can't wait for next batch, hard to find a decent keyboard with clears.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Melchior

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:02:41 »
Call me when they finally have MX Brown switches and red backlighting...

Oh, and a sane price would be nice to have as well! (But not expected  :rolleyes: )
Ducky ONE    |   CM Recon

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #261 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:18:30 »
Call me when they finally have MX Brown switches and red backlighting...

Oh, and a sane price would be nice to have as well! (But not expected  :rolleyes: )

just get a shine 3

the price is good enough as it is.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #262 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:23:50 »
Pacifist - don't know if you remember - you were the one who posted in this thread that the Code was available back in Sept, I saw it and grab the Code and that was how I started into this keyboard stuff :P

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 19:29:05 »
Pacifist - don't know if you remember - you were the one who posted in this thread that the Code was available back in Sept, I saw it and grab the Code and that was how I started into this keyboard stuff :P

I still remember that

code could have been my first but stupid CA taxes took it away from me. SO CLOSE

Offline tbc

« Reply #264 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:15:23 »

because it's honestly not that good.

it's not bad, but it's not better than anything else while being noticably more expensive.

it's the Apple of desktop gaming.  you CAN game on Apple, but come on.....it's only for people that don't know better.  embarassingly, this is alot of programmers.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:29:05 »
I have one. It is not as bad as you said. MX Clear is excellent. The white backlighting is good. I love the minimalist case bezel and that the cable is detachable. The key caps suck though but that is expected given that this is a backlight keyboard. And $150 is not that expensive, really. I enjoyed the Code very much. And I like some of the thoughts put into it e.g. FN-Page Up and Down for volume control.

Offline tbc

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 22:32:29 »
i said it wasn't bad.... :/
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #267 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:10:04 »
The CODE Clear TKL is my favorite non-custom board.  If I hadn't built a phantom I'd still be using it.

Crisp solid feel, nice backlighting, useful DPI switches, good build quality and finish.  Quality is better than DAS and older Mattias keyboards I've tried that cost more. Only thing that felt that good build quality to me was my Realforce 88UB which was a lot more expensive.

[)amien

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:29:42 »
The CODE Clear TKL is my favorite non-custom board.  If I hadn't built a phantom I'd still be using it.

Crisp solid feel, nice backlighting, useful DPI switches, good build quality and finish.  Quality is better than DAS and older Mattias keyboards I've tried that cost more. Only thing that felt that good build quality to me was my Realforce 88UB which was a lot more expensive.

[)amien

If the keycap legends were just Envy Code R, then it would be perfect. :))

I love your font.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:03:52 »
If the keycap legends were just Envy Code R, then it would be perfect. :))

I love your font.
<blush> Thanks JD!

[)amien

Offline fatmav

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 15:59:28 »
So my Code Clear came today. The keyboard feels totally un-lubbed... the backspace and the enter keys are especially horrible. Scratchy sound from within the switch itself, and absolutely no grease on the stabilizer bars and so there is a lot of bouncing noise at the up-stroke. Seriously, if this represents the typical quality of a WASD keyboard... I am not sure I will ever buy from them again.

I am going to bring some silicon grease to office tomorrow to deal with the stabilizer bars. But what can I do with the two scratchy switches?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 16:06:01 »
So my Code Clear came today. The keyboard feels totally un-lubbed... the backspace and the enter keys are especially horrible. Scratchy sound from within the switch itself, and absolutely no grease on the stabilizer bars and so there is a lot of bouncing noise at the up-stroke. Seriously, if this represents the typical quality of a WASD keyboard... I am not sure I will ever buy from them again.

I am going to bring some silicon grease to office tomorrow to deal with the stabilizer bars. But what can I do with the two scratchy switches?

Do any stock MX keyboards come lubed?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 16:17:28 »

Maybe TypeNow Solid.

in memoriam

Offline fatmav

« Reply #273 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 16:21:39 »

Not sure. However, just to be clear, I was referring to the apparent lack of quality assurance before shipment. This backspace key sounds very, very wrong.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #274 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 16:30:30 »

Not sure. However, just to be clear, I was referring to the apparent lack of quality assurance before shipment. This backspace key sounds very, very wrong.

I also just got a CODE and is is my first WASD board, the stabilizers all sound about the same, typical costar sound. At first many of the clear switches had a pingy/springy sound, some still do, not sure if they need broken in or what (my tactile grays sound like this only more so) and the top part of the case between right alt and the spacebar has entirely too much flex in it.

Overall I'm still typing on it after a whole day yesterday, most 'new' keyboards only make it a few hours. I'm still even using the stock keycaps with backlighting turned on about half brightness.

Offline fatmav

« Reply #275 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 17:04:34 »
I have taken a video showing how bad the backspace key is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22723511/Code-Backspace-VID_20140410_175321.mp4

Any suggestion on how to deal with this? Thanks!

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #276 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 17:15:56 »
I have taken a video showing how bad the backspace key is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22723511/Code-Backspace-VID_20140410_175321.mp4

Any suggestion on how to deal with this? Thanks!

The scratchiness of the switch should diminish with a week or two of use.  Lube the stabilizer bars with silicone grease to alleviate the high pitched squeak in your video.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 17:41:17 »
I got mine last night and used it at work today. So far I really like it, feels super solid, no scratchiness.
It did come with the dip switch for the LEDs set to off which really threw me, I thought it was the laptop at work at first, tried it on three different machines before I checked the switches.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 18:21:25 »
That's what happened to me too. I don't understand why the LED dip switch is off by default. Everyone one to see the beautiful keyboard in all of its backlighting glory when the first got it, so that doesn't make any sense.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #279 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 18:23:36 »

Maybe TypeNow Solid.

I don't think this was factory lubed, was it?

Offline fatmav

« Reply #280 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 19:34:13 »
That's what happened to me too. I don't understand why the LED dip switch is off by default. Everyone one to see the beautiful keyboard in all of its backlighting glory when the first got it, so that doesn't make any sense.

I too was quite surprised at first but it also has a nice effect of forcing us to read the one page manual. :)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #281 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 08:18:18 »
I just received my Code keyboard, after it was sitting awaiting customs duty to be applied to it for about a week :-/

I'm really happy with this keyboard, it's miles better than my Steelseries 7G with Cherry MX Blacks. It's making me want my HHKB to be modded with 55gm domes! The backlighting on this is very bright, easily visible in daylight. This is my first backlit mechanical keyboard.

edit: after trying to use this as my main keyboard for a while, I realise just how much Topre has spoiled me! I much prefer Topre to Cherry MX. regardless, I'm going to keep this board as I do like it very much.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 April 2014, 10:49:26 by oscillik »

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 18:06:12 »
Code with Cherry MX Clears is back in stock, apparently...

Offline oryan_dunn

« Reply #283 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 18:08:48 »

F-ing sucks. My manager approved me to get one of these boards, but I have to have our secretary order it.  Why can't they send out this email in the morning.  I'm sure they'll be out of stock again by the time our secretary gets in in the morning.  Last time the email came at 4:30p on a Friday afternoon, now at 7p.  Arggg.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 22:22:02 »

F-ing sucks. My manager approved me to get one of these boards, but I have to have our secretary order it.  Why can't they send out this email in the morning.  I'm sure they'll be out of stock again by the time our secretary gets in in the morning.  Last time the email came at 4:30p on a Friday afternoon, now at 7p.  Arggg.

can't you get reimbursed for it?

Offline oryan_dunn

« Reply #285 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 09:16:38 »

Well, she was able to get one this morning as they're still in stock.  You'd think I'd be able to be reimbursed, but there'd be a mound of paperwork and would create work for people, very much frowned upon....smh.

Looking at the manual, what are "OS Keys"?

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #286 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:32:06 »

Well, she was able to get one this morning as they're still in stock.  You'd think I'd be able to be reimbursed, but there'd be a mound of paperwork and would create work for people, very much frowned upon....smh.

Looking at the manual, what are "OS Keys"?

The Windows key in Windows, the Command Key in Mac OS X, and the Super key in Linux

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #287 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:22:24 »
I just ordered a 104 key MX clears for work. New office, new title, new keyboard.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #288 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:23:37 »
I just ordered a 104 key MX clears for work. New office, new title, new keyboard.

that's a weird way of spelling greens
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #289 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:24:42 »

Greens are for women who can't handle buckling springs.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #290 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:26:10 »
Wish I had some cash been wanting a board with clears.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #291 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:43:18 »

Greens are for women who can't handle buckling springs.

you're lucky the HHKBROTHERHOOD is strong, because thems is fighting words
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #292 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 06:31:29 »
Code with clears VS Ducky Shine 3 TKL with browns?
What to choose?
Thanks!)

Offline mougrim

« Reply #293 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 07:25:53 »
What to choose?
Thanks!)
It depends. I'd go for Ducky.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #294 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 07:34:25 »
What to choose?
Thanks!)

Choose Topre.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #295 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 07:43:50 »
Begone, foul spirit, and take your heresy with you  :D

Seriously, WTF? You Topre cultists manage to advise buying Topre board even if someone choosing between MX Blue and Green :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #296 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 12:42:09 »
Just saying, I tried to convert to Topre at Christmas time when I purchased a hhkb.. yes they're smooth.. but they're also "too smooth" they're like mashed potatoes in my mx reds.. puddin' in mx blacks.. I don't know how to explain it, but I sold everything Topre that I had purchased.

Don't Topre.
I hate everything.

Offline avtar

« Reply #297 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 13:34:53 »
Don't 45g Topre.

Fixed :) Although I love using my 45g HHKB and 55g Realforce. The latter is probably what you want to try if you're into more of a tactile experience.

Offline Phillip_J_Fry

« Reply #298 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 14:56:56 »
What to choose?
Thanks!)

Choose Topre.

I would, but they don't have 55g White right now :-D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #299 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 15:02:28 »