Author Topic: MX Red Switches for Typing?  (Read 59291 times)

Offline aref

Re: MX Red Switches for Typing?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:25:17 »
When I first used Reds I made many typing errors and wasn't able to get away from it. But when I returned to the key switch, I lightened my touch and all went well. I used to be heavy handed on my KBs; but once I began feeling the effects form using heavier switches (finger strain/fatigue), I suddenly have a lighter touch--I just can't take the pounding I had been doing on heavier-switch keyboards, which was my doing rather than a mandate because of the switches I was using.

Key switches are a matter of personal preference; and switching from heavier to lighter or the converse, depending on one's preference, can be tricky or simply feel non-doable. I understand what you're saying: Reds are difficult to get used to if one prefers heavier switches. I think age and decades, many decades, of typing have taken a toll on my hands; and it was time for me to go to a lighter switch--there's an admission of aging from me--man, talk about 'Reeling in the Years (good, old, Steely Dan song).

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:45:43 »
When I first used Reds I made many typing errors and wasn't able to get away from it. But when I returned to the key switch, I lightened my touch and all went well. I used to be heavy handed on my KBs; but once I began feeling the effects form using heavier switches (finger strain/fatigue), I suddenly have a lighter touch--I just can't take the pounding I had been doing on heavier-switch keyboards, which was my doing rather than a mandate because of the switches I was using.

Key switches are a matter of personal preference; and switching from heavier to lighter or the converse, depending on one's preference, can be tricky or simply feel non-doable. I understand what you're saying: Reds are difficult to get used to if one prefers heavier switches. I think age and decades, many decades, of typing have taken a toll on my hands; and it was time for me to go to a lighter switch--there's an admission of aging from me--man, talk about 'Reeling in the Years (good, old, Steely Dan song).

Have you tried the lighter Topre switches? I'm curious as I love red switches but haven't had the opportunity to try topre yet.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline aref

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 17:08:52 »
Have you tried the lighter Topre switches? I'm curious as I love red switches but haven't had the opportunity to try topre yet.

I had a 45-gram 87U. It's a good board, but I convinced that I preferred Topre's 55-gram switch and sold my 45g KB. Of course,
now I question whether or not I should have held on to that KB. In truth, I think I prefer linear switches to the subtle tactility of
Topre switches. The only way I'd know for sure is buy yet another 87U and give it a second go; and for now, at least, I'm really
enjoying and into this Corsair board.

Offline aref

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 17:19:40 »
I've got the K65 up and running; and the MX Red key switches feel quite nice to me.
Why was I so disillusioned with this keyboard when I first tried it? By the way, there
isn't a 'ping' to be heard--this is a very good thing. I prefer this switch to, dare I say,
my beloved Cherry MX Blue switches.

The keyboard feels too good to add o-rings; I may give them a go, but not today.

Again, to those who took the time to submit helpful responses, "Thank you."

This board looks very nice. I am now typing in my Poker X with reds. I think I may like it better if it has a plate, and the resistance of its springs a little bit in the weak side. I used it for more than a year as a daily driver, but now I use it only at home. My main driver at work is an FC660M with browns. And now I really feel the difference.

I chose to box my CMQFR/MX Blue this afternoon and decided to see how it felt after using the MX Red KB exclusively. And like you with MX Brown switches, the difference in feel, and sound with the Blues, was marked. My preference, without reservation, is Cherry's MX Red switch. It's much more comfortable, to me, than their tactile Blue; and it, MX Red, is much more pleasant to listen to when typing. I think it's time for some chocolate.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 17:22:22 by SSKGuy »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 17:26:03 »
I just used my red board to type all my finals and thesis paper, but mostly because I was too hurried/lazy to switch it out. But what's interesting is that I just noticed after a week of just using this board, it's actively changed my typing style. My presses are more darting and light, where as generally I jam down with the force of a thousand suns. Just an observation I thought was mildly interesting.

As for actually using one to write, it takes some adaptation. If you aren't used to them you will likely make many errors due to finger roll and the low actuation of the switch, but I've found that after a while of using solely a red board I'm actually typing noticeably faster. Also the amount of errors has reduced drastically, but still more than with a stiffer switch. I suppose you could make the argument that I should just learn to not bottom out of other switch types as well.

One thing that really bothers me is because I'm not bottoming out, my fingers roll over other keys more often and I regularly hit the caps lock by mistake. If I were to make any changes it would be to make the modifiers and space bar a slightly heavier switch type. Also: lube your reds. It's like consolidated sex for your fingers.

Offline aref

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 17:41:09 »
I just used my red board to type all my finals and thesis paper, but mostly because I was too hurried/lazy to switch it out. But what's interesting is that I just noticed after a week of just using this board, it's actively changed my typing style. My presses are more darting and light, where as generally I jam down with the force of a thousand suns. Just an observation I thought was mildly interesting.

As for actually using one to write, it takes some adaptation. If you aren't used to them you will likely make many errors due to finger roll and the low actuation of the switch, but I've found that after a while of using solely a red board I'm actually typing noticeably faster. Also the amount of errors has reduced drastically, but still more than with a stiffer switch. I suppose you could make the argument that I should just learn to not bottom out of other switch types as well.

One thing that really bothers me is because I'm not bottoming out, my fingers roll over other keys more often and I regularly hit the caps lock by mistake. If I were to make any changes it would be to make the modifiers and space bar a slightly heavier switch type. Also: lube your reds. It's like consolidated sex for your fingers.

Your final comment is killer!

I had the same finding about using MX Red switches exclusively. One's typing style changes with use and, for me, I don't bottom out as forcefully as I had been when typing with heavier switches. It's taking me a bit to become completely at home with the switch, but with each several hours of use, a bit more headway is made. I do prefer how my fingers feel after writing sessions.

I bottom-out as a matter of course; but, with the Reds I occasionally don't; however, the majority of the time I do. However, as I said, I do it almost 'keyboard sotto voce' compared with heavier switches. MX Red switches are unique experience for those of us who have been used to 'banging' away on plunge-me key switches. I actually have a growing preference for this 45-gram switch.

Congratulations on finishing your thesis. When I did mine we had non-correcting typewriters, no word processors in those days; and it was a bear. I think typing one's thesis on a typewriter was the genesis for 30-gallon trash cans!

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:03:12 »
Type-writing a thesis. :/ Hardcore!

I'm mildly interested in trying Topre, but I thin I'll wait until CM release more variations of their Novatouch ... or until Leopold have local stockists here.

I really can't decide which switch I like the best. I definitely prefer reds for gaming. I have much the same experiences with them for typing as you guys have mentioned. It "feels" nice and you feel like you're typing faster the way that the key presses effortlessly speed by.

Speed typing tests say otherwise though. I type faster and more accurately on browns and blues.

When you say lubing reds is good ... can you describe the difference it makes? My red board is about 3 weeks old and is probably still factory lubed, right?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:35:58 »
When you say lubing reds is good ... can you describe the difference it makes? My red board is about 3 weeks old and is probably still factory lubed, right?

With reds you really only need a little bit of lube, but when done properly it eliminates that initial bit of scratch on the switch press. I use this with some 40A-L o-rings for the full effect on my Ducky YotD. Very very smooth, very light, soft landing even when you do bottom out. I always wanna say my ergo-clear board is the favorite, but after digging this one of of the closet and using it for the past few weeks I'd forgot how different in a good way this board is. Probably tied for my favorite feeling switch with C BS switches on the model F, which is almost the complete opposite from what these are.
Also, which companies lube stock switches?

The biggest plus is with lubed and ringed reds the board becomes just an extension of your fingers, to a point. Lightly felt, very quiet, and no distracting clicks. Just me and the board.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:58:30 »
I'm new to GeekHack and keyboard modding, myself. I thought the switches would be lubed at the factory? I guess not?

I have 40A-R (blue) o-rings which I haven't tried on red switches yet. I wasn't a huge fan on brown (ended up taking them off). I felt that the reduction in travel distance interfered with the purpose of the bump tactility by increasing the rate of bottoming out. Also bottoming out felt less satisfying without the solid thock.

Can one simply squirt lube into the switch while still connected to the pcb? I'm not good at soldering and wouldn't want to do the whole board just to lube the switches a bit.

Offline aref

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:32:14 »
Tried red o-rings

I tried several red o-rings on the MX Red switches; I didn't care for the reduction in key travel. The o-rings reduced key-switch sound when bottoming out the dampened keys, but the reduced travel felt too short for me, as if I wasn't completing each key stroke. If I were the kind of typist who just touched each key, they'd have been fine. But I do strike each key with a full depression. I might be able to get used to them, but I prefer the 'naked' key switch. Red o-rings reduce key travel by 0.2mm, the least of all the o-rings I've seen (red, blue, black).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:41:05 »
Can one simply squirt lube into the switch while still connected to the pcb? I'm not good at soldering and wouldn't want to do the whole board just to lube the switches a bit.

No no no, please don't do that you'll ruin your board, the only proper way to lube a switch is by taking it apart and you need to be very careful about the amounts and type of lube you use. There are members here who offer services for lubing which includes resoldering. I had mine done by Gupgup, who did a great job. Would recommend.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40612.0

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:23:18 »

No no no, please don't do that you'll ruin your board, the only proper way to lube a switch is by taking it apart and you need to be very careful about the amounts and type of lube you use. There are members here who offer services for lubing which includes resoldering. I had mine done by Gupgup, who did a great job. Would recommend.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40612.0

Oh I see! Well thanks for the info. I'm in Australia, so coudln't really justify the back and forth shipping. If I ever build a board up from scratch or order one from GON etc I'll be sure to look more into lubing. :)

Offline aref

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:23:05 »
NoisyTurtle--thanks for all the information. I don't feel comfortable with disassembling my key switches in order to lube them; so I'll keep the link you sent in my resource file. Appreciate the referral.

An unsolicited update on my observations on the K65 keyboard and MX Red switch
The more I use them, the more I like them and the more I getting into the feel of this linear switch (and the fewer errors I make coming from heavier switches). Also, this exposed keyboard on the Corsair K65 feels more expansive to me than a closed keyboard, such as a Filco M2 TKL or CMQFR TKL. Not dealing with an upper case surrounding the key caps allows my hands to go against the first row of keys rather than the perimeter of an upper keyboard case. I quite like the feel of an exposed KB; so much so that I'm not sure I would return to a closed case w/o getting an exposed aftermarket housing for it. One more bit on the MX Red switch: I prefer the responsiveness of this switch to many others I've used--it has a firmly responsive 'snap' as it recovers after being actuated.

I'm becoming more in line with this linear switch and it feels natural to me; liike its a matter of course when I type. I don't have to work the switch. All I have to do is type! I'm enjoying this keyboard and MX Red key switches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:56:33 by SSKGuy »

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:42:19 »
They're actually great for typing... Really smooth and enjoyable experience...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:08:33 »
Reds are by far my favorite common MX switch for all uses and are what is in 70% of my keyboards. I leave mine stock, and rely on break in to get them nice and smooth. But, if I could have my way I would have vintage linear white/clears in EVERYTHING. Also, in my opinion you haven't experienced red bliss until you have tried them in PCB mount with Cherry profile keycaps.

Offline aref

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:54:53 »
Reds are by far my favorite common MX switch for all uses and are what is in 70% of my keyboards. I leave mine stock, and rely on break in to get them nice and smooth. But, if I could have my way I would have vintage linear white/clears in EVERYTHING. Also, in my opinion you haven't experienced red bliss until you have tried them in PCB mount with Cherry profile keycaps.

If you would, can you tell me if there's a manufactured keyboard that has MX Red switches in a PCB mount? I'm interested. I love these key switches, they're fantastic. I just changed the key caps on my K65; it went from great to great+.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:57:12 by SSKGuy »

Offline aref

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:59:05 »
They're actually great for typing... Really smooth and enjoyable experience...

I agree with you. I find the more I use them, the better they perform; and the better I get with this switch.

Offline absfac

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:23:43 »
MX reds with red O-rings on my main board. Mostly use it for coding which obviously involves a lot of regular typing, mixed with chording and symbol entry. I find that the light, smooth feel of the caps and the soft but not mushy landing makes them the lowest-stress switch for very long periods of use.

My WPM is only about 100 and I never really learned to type without bottoming out at least 50% of the time so that factors into my decision to use O-rings.

Some people will probably find this comparison to be sacreligious but it generally feels to me like a much nicer version of scissor switches from good laptop keyboards (like Macbooks). The keypress force is light and it feels like the typing just flows out of your fingers without resistance.

Now from time to time I like to have a little higher impact feel or a crisper action which is why I swap in other boards. But MX reds have probably won over 95% of my keyboard time.

Offline aref

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:39:48 »
MX reds with red O-rings on my main board. Mostly use it for coding which obviously involves a lot of regular typing, mixed with chording and symbol entry. I find that the light, smooth feel of the caps and the soft but not mushy landing makes them the lowest-stress switch for very long periods of use.

My WPM is only about 100 and I never really learned to type without bottoming out at least 50% of the time so that factors into my decision to use O-rings.

Some people will probably find this comparison to be sacrilegious but it generally feels to me like a much nicer version of scissor switches from good laptop keyboards (like Macbooks). The keypress force is light and it feels like the typing just flows out of your fingers without resistance.

Now from time to time I like to have a little higher impact feel or a crisper action which is why I swap in other boards. But MX reds have probably won over 95% of my keyboard time.

To me the feel of MS Red switches is exceptionally crisp; and the switch's recovery is so responsive. I bottom out much of the time, it's just my way of typing. But with this light, linear switch, I do have a lighter touch, but not so much diminished key travel. The switch reminds me of a Leading Edge keyboard I had around 1985--which may be too far back for many of GHs members.

If a switch reminds you of previous switch and others disagree, let 'em get over themselves. The person using a particular is their best judge of how the switch feels. My sense is that we may perceive the feel of a switch differently from the way others feel the same switch. I'm using the MX Red KB 100% of the time for now; but I can't see myself getting back to an SSK or heavier-switch keyboard. I've used heavier switches for so long and put up with their effects after hours of use, that this lighter/linear switch feels too good for me relinquish.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 21:51:22 »
Sure, any Cherry G80 with reds like 3494LYCUS or 3600LYCJA, or if you can find one an older Poker X first gen Pure or Race, Plum 96 (be careful of revision as some are plate mount), neo Zelia..

Offline aref

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:00:33 »
Sure, any Cherry G80 with reds like 3494LYCUS or 3600LYCJA, or if you can find one an older Poker X first gen Pure or Race, Plum 96 (be careful of revision as some are plate mount), neo Zelia..

Спасибо! If I've gotten it right. If not, 'Thank you.'
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:15:28 by SSKGuy »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:47:57 »
Yes translate can be a tricky ***** but don't worry as I am not fluent Russian speaker anyways. ;)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 16:12:38 »
I love reds for all purposes.  My main work keyboard is (essentially) MX reds, and I type documents and code on it all day every day.

QFT (although I still use other keyboards and slowly transition to vintage blacks)

I use MX Red in the office, because it's the quietest mechanical switch.

Except it isn't.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 21:01:03 »
Why would PCB mount feel better? I would've thought having a rigid mount would improve the crisp feel of these switches? I have plate mounted Blues and I'm not that impressed with the flex. Overall it makes the switch feel ... laggy and the board cheap.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 22:31:24 »
I love reds for all purposes.  My main work keyboard is (essentially) MX reds, and I type documents and code on it all day every day.

QFT (although I still use other keyboards and slowly transition to vintage blacks)

Except it isn't.

Nice response, could you give some evidence to why it isn't the quietest switch? Being a linear switch, it does not actually make any noise, so I have no idea why you're disagreeing.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 00:07:53 »

Except it isn't.

Nice response, could you give some evidence to why it isn't the quietest switch? Being a linear switch, it does not actually make any noise, so I have no idea why you're disagreeing.

Perhaps you could argue that black is quieter because it is easier to avoid bottoming out on? Unless he is referring to topre silent (not really mechanical) or some alp switch I haven't tried.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 00:31:25 »

Except it isn't.

Perhaps you could argue that black is quieter because it is easier to avoid bottoming out on? Unless he is referring to topre silent (not really mechanical) or some alp switch I haven't tried.

Topre silent still makes the thock upon bottoming out, while that is semantics. If we are speaking about touch-typing, either should be able to be typed on without bottoming out, so the point of it being slightly easier due to heaviness is null. Unless he's saying that Blacks are more quiet because nobody would want to type on them, and thus they are always silent. :D
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 01:58:56 »

Except it isn't.

Upstroke. For example, Cherry MY or salmon Alps are quieter, Matias Quiet switches probably too (like here.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 10:02:44 »

Except it isn't.

Upstroke. For example, Cherry MY or salmon Alps are quieter, Matias Quiet switches probably too (like here.

I see. It is strongly impacted by the keycap, though, so does an ALPS switch have some more controlled version of an upstroke?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 10:17:08 »
i wish i had more to type, because i love typing on my (plate-mounted) reds. but other than some chatting and some posting on forums i don't really have any typing to do ;p

i just have to lube'em up, still. i can feel and hear the scratching and on some keys it's alot worse than others. i know that that's not red-specific, but i'm sure that lube would be a nice add to these awesome linear switches. [/fanboy]
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 10:30:58 »

At work I've been using MX reds for 7-8 months and this is definitely my most common mistake. I hit that damned caps lock key by accident all the time. Maybe I'm just lacking pinky finger dexterity ...

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline aref

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 11:27:49 »

At work I've been using MX reds for 7-8 months and this is definitely my most common mistake. I hit that damned caps lock key by accident all the time. Maybe I'm just lacking pinky finger dexterity ...

If you're tapping the inside edge of caps lock when actuating the 'A' key, you may want to consider replacing caps-lock with a smaller, perhaps blank, R2 1x1, key cap.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 12:34:31 »
Just put a superblack in your caps lock... I guarantee never accidentally press again. It takes some real effort to move a superblack. A linear grey can do as well since it is quite a lot heavier than a red still. Alternately if you generally never use caps lock you could disable it in the OS or use a key lock out clip.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:00:47 »

If you're tapping the inside edge of caps lock when actuating the 'A' key, you may want to consider replacing caps-lock with a smaller, perhaps blank, R2 1x1, key cap.

I tend to have the same issue you have. After I swapped the left control key for the caps lock, the problem is irrelevant. Just sharing with you something that may help. Also I was unsure about the usefulness of the change, but the place of the caps lock is ideal for the control key.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:28:24 »
I miss reds... I really like them, I don't see anything wrong with them.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 14:32:15 »

Hunter! I haven't seen you around in forever. How goes typing?

Offline aref

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:09:13 »

Apart from this thread, I don't see MX Red switches mentioned all that often. I gather many on GH
prefer heavier switches, buckling springs, and Topre. I have BS and Topre keyboards; however, I find
Red switches comfortable to use. I have get used to the feel each day  I use them, but I've been using
an MX Red keyboard for only about a week. And when I use a heavier-switch keyboard for a couple or
three hours, I move to the MX Red board and it feels so good that I continue I continue to use the lighter
switches for the rest of the day. I use them for typing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:07:12 by SSKGuy »

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:23:58 »
I wonder if I'm alone in feeling like Reds could be further improved by exhibiting more of a linear force curve (sharing the lighter weight required at the beginning of the press). So like 30g evenly throughout. I'm not an engineer or anything, so not sure if a spring is capable of this.

Offline aref

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 20:42:22 »
I wonder if I'm alone in feeling like Reds could be further improved by exhibiting more of a linear force curve (sharing the lighter weight required at the beginning of the press). So like 30g evenly throughout. I'm not an engineer or anything, so not sure if a spring is capable of this.

I'd be curious to try an MX linear switch with a 50-gram down-force throughout each key strike. However, I'm really
pleased with this 45-gram linear switch. And modifying my current MX Red KB would only ruin a KB I quite like. After
using an MX Red keyboard, I prefer linear to tactile switches. The smooth feel and responsiveness of this switch is
enjoyable to use, it always feels good to use my one MX Red KB. It's a switch I enjoy and look forward to using as
one of, if not my only, keyboard on a given day.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 21:00:17 »
I love reds too. Still, can't help but wonder if they could feel even smoother and nicer if they were even lighter again. Might just get too light. I don't rest my fingers on the keys; they just float so that my index fingers can locate on the home keys, so I could get used to even lighter, myself.

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 09:24:52 »
GH: I had occasion to use MX Red switches to type a document for a neighbor. I hadn't liked Red switches for typing; however, after having no choice at my neighbor's house, I found myself being more mindful of my typing/accuracy and they worked well. I, of course, had to use a lighter touch, i.e., more mindful overall finger pressure throughout each key-strike, than I use with me MX Blue and 55-gram Topre switches. The medium to heavier key switches allow one to be a bit more casual at grazing key-caps' tops and, of course, permit heavier resting-finger pressure because of the required gram force to actuate heavier switches.

I seldom read threads/posts discussing a preference for MX Red switches. Are there any GH members using an MX Red keyboard for typing documents or general use?

I use a CM Storm Trigger w/ reds at home. I think reds are my favorite "general purpose" switch. They're my favorite for gaming, and maybe my second favorite for typing. Browns are my favorite to type with. I've also used Blues which I enjoy, but for some reason I find myself liking the lesser-tactile switches best.

The only con with reds I feel is the really light actuation. I have a bad habit of resting fingers on keys, and occasionally I'll just start spamming something like "E" without noticing.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 09:33:08 »
I love reds too. Still, can't help but wonder if they could feel even smoother and nicer if they were even lighter again. Might just get too light. I don't rest my fingers on the keys; they just float so that my index fingers can locate on the home keys, so I could get used to even lighter, myself.

try lubing them?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 09:39:18 »

try lubing them?

That doesn't really make them lighter per se. He could buy some of the 45g springs from Originative, though.

Offline aref

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:07:56 »
I, too, like MX Red switches; at times, however, I lose my feel for this lighter down-force switch; which is when I return to my 55-gram 87U--talk about a dichotomy in keyboard preferences. But I've realized that this is the time I should stay with the lighter switch and adapt. The spot-on observations that many have made is that key-switch and keyboard selections are a matter of personal preference. Yet, we love discussing key switches and  keyboards and giving our findings/impressions. It's great to have a forum for these discussions.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 22:40:52 by SSKGuy »

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:53:06 »

try lubing them?

That doesn't really make them lighter per se. He could buy some of the 45g springs from Originative, though.

was referring to the smoother and nicer part

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 16:05:48 »

try lubing them?

was referring to the smoother and nicer part

If you read his earlier post, you would know he was talking about the effects of spring lightening, not how to achieve it through some other means.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:04:21 »
I'm a huge fan of good quality linear switches. Currently using Vintage MX Black (from never used Cherry branded terminal keyboard) switches with springs from brand new MX Blue (for consistency) on my ErgoDox.
If standard MX Red is cloud of boobs feel, this must be pillow of honey. Butter smooth and ultra light. Also somehow I'm faster and more accurate than on MX Blue (which I also love and use often).
Also important is the fact that my ErgoDox doesn't have plate and switches are PCB mounted and the case is made so PCB flexes very slightly on stronger presses (very similar feel to early G80 boards).
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:06:43 by czarek »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:21:46 »
I'm a huge fan of good quality linear switches. Currently using Vintage MX Black (from never used Cherry branded terminal keyboard) switches with springs from brand new MX Blue (for consistency) on my ErgoDox.
If standard MX Red is cloud of boobs feel, this must be pillow of honey. Butter smooth and ultra light. Also somehow I'm faster and more accurate than on MX Blue (which I also love and use often).
Also important is the fact that my ErgoDox doesn't have plate and switches are PCB mounted and the case is made so PCB flexes very slightly on stronger presses (very similar feel to early G80 boards).

hm... what do you mean by accurate?

Like the actuation point has a smaller margin of error than the other switches and this small error margin is the same across all Mx reds? Or does it mean something else?

Sorry for questioning, just don't really know what you mean by accurate.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 09:10:34 »

hm... what do you mean by accurate?

Like the actuation point has a smaller margin of error than the other switches and this small error margin is the same across all Mx reds? Or does it mean something else?

Sorry for questioning, just don't really know what you mean by accurate.

By accurate I mean that I make less mistakes than on tactile / clicky switch.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline aref

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 21:00:25 »
Removed post.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 21:28:29 by SSKGuy »