Author Topic: Work sprung a doozy on me the other day...  (Read 6892 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Work sprung a doozy on me the other day...
« on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 01:48:37 »
I was just informed the other day that I will no longer be able to use my own mouse and keyboard at work for "security reasons".  Apparently they're paranoid that my keyboard or mouse may introduce some sort of spyware/malware/virus to the network and I can only use approved and provided devices.  I brought it up that I use my setup for "ergonomic" reasons.  Currently, my keyboard is my ergo-Clear modded RK-9000 with 62/65g springs and my mouse is my Anker vertical mouse.  While the ergonomic part sounds like BS, it's true.  While the keyboard isn't an ergonomic layout, I start getting finger and joint pain and fatigue from using a membrane or crappy rubber dome keyboard.

So while that sucks, I may be able to get the county to buy me a decent keyboard and mouse.  Following that, what keyboard should I try and get them to get me?  Something of the Clear variety would be awesome.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Work sprung a doozy on me the other day...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 02:23:28 »
The Code springs to mind.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 02:26:27 »
Nah time to quit.
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 02:27:52 »
Or a Model M?

You could argue that it is so old any kind of snooping technology was simply not available when the keyboard was made.

Mind you they might not look kindly upon the PS/2 to USB adaptor.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mougrim

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 02:32:35 »
Or a Model M?

You could argue that it is so old any kind of snooping technology was simply not available when the keyboard was made.

Mind you they might not look kindly upon the PS/2 to USB adaptor.

Oh yes, this will be a nice touch :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 07:28:35 »
I was just informed the other day that I will no longer be able to use my own mouse and keyboard at work for "security reasons".  Apparently they're paranoid that my keyboard or mouse may introduce some sort of spyware/malware/virus to the network and I can only use approved and provided devices.  I brought it up that I use my setup for "ergonomic" reasons.  Currently, my keyboard is my ergo-Clear modded RK-9000 with 62/65g springs and my mouse is my Anker vertical mouse.  While the ergonomic part sounds like BS, it's true.  While the keyboard isn't an ergonomic layout, I start getting finger and joint pain and fatigue from using a membrane or crappy rubber dome keyboard.

So while that sucks, I may be able to get the county to buy me a decent keyboard and mouse.  Following that, what keyboard should I try and get them to get me?  Something of the Clear variety would be awesome.

since these guys have a cold war security mentality, ask them for a beam spring or hall effect
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 07:39:53 »

since these guys have a cold war security mentality, ask them for a beam spring or hall effect

Magnetic reed switches could be nice too :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 08:12:48 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 08:15:24 »
Ask them to get a Topre. They may think it's just a rubber dome keyboard and would not suspect and thing!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 09:24:31 »
Unicomp if they need to buy a new keyboard for you.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 09:33:30 »
The USB plug may be the hangup.

If you can live with straight PS/2 gear, the IT department should be willing to grant an exception.

Really kind of silly, you  could carry a tiny USB stick in your sock and plug it in for 2 minutes when the boss was in the rest room, and do all the damage you needed to.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 10:11:47 »
I brought it up that I use my setup for "ergonomic" reasons.  Currently, my keyboard is my ergo-Clear modded RK-9000 with 62/65g springs and my mouse is my Anker vertical mouse.  While the ergonomic part sounds like BS, it's true.  While the keyboard isn't an ergonomic layout, I start getting finger and joint pain and fatigue from using a membrane or crappy rubber dome keyboard.

So while that sucks, I may be able to get the county to buy me a decent keyboard and mouse.
First step check the list of approved devices.
Second. Walk over to HR and explain the situation to them. Explain too that you bring the keyboard because you don't want to dump the high price on the company. At most companies HR will freak when they hear  that someone at the company is trying to deny you ergonomic equipment.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 10:30:33 »

If you can live with straight PS/2 gear, the IT department should be willing to grant an exception.

Really kind of silly, you  could carry a tiny USB stick in your sock and plug it in for 2 minutes when the boss was in the rest room, and do all the damage you needed to.

Hoo boy, you have no idea...

My company locked all security sensitive PCs with security programs - no usb stick going to work there ever, BIOS is locked and there no way to reset password... that's not all, but that's enough :)

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 10:47:41 »
Make them find you a Northgate with blue Alps. While they work on that you'll have a few more years of your current keyboard.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 11:03:35 »
The Code springs to mind.

That's one I was thinking, but it's hard to find one in stock.

Nah time to quit.

If jobs grew on trees and the benefits weren't so good...

Ask them to get a Topre. They may think it's just a rubber dome keyboard and would not suspect and thing!

Not a huge fan of Topre.

I was thinking the same with PS/2.  I might just have to talk to the IT department and see if it would be acceptable if I had a nice PS/2 keyboard instead.

And, from what I understand, they're incredibly insane when it comes to what they can see with computers.  I've heard stories of IT calling people at their desks because they plugged something in.  The new department we're under basically said no USB devices at all, not even plugging your phone or PMP in to charge.

To me, if they're that concerned about security, why are we even using our own physical machines and no a remote desktop or other virtual machine?

First step check the list of approved devices.
Second. Walk over to HR and explain the situation to them. Explain too that you bring the keyboard because you don't want to dump the high price on the company. At most companies HR will freak when they hear  that someone at the company is trying to deny you ergonomic equipment.

There's no list of approved devices yet that I've seen.  And I've talked to the head of IT face to face and explained it to him and he said that they would look into getting me a keyboard and mouse, especially since I dropped the ergonomic buzzword.  So I don't think HR will go for letting me keep the keyboard and mouse, but will have to go looking for something for me.  I'm just sad because now I can't dial in the keyboard setup that's the most comfortable for me.

Offline divito

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 12:43:59 »
Matias Secure Pro.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 15:17:57 »
Find whoever came up with this silly rule and install a phantom typing joke device inside that guy's approved equipment

.. or not. In the US that is something that could get you fired.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 16:12:01 »
Find whoever came up with this silly rule and install a phantom typing joke device inside that guy's approved equipment

.. or not. In the US that is something that could get you fired.

This guy deserves to be beaten to death by IBM Model F :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 16:46:29 »
I always say that aside from ergonomic issues, using a mechanical keyboard improves my work flow which is absolutely true. Both mechanically and morally, I'm faster and more motivated on my own board.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 20:26:25 »
Anyone have a 55g Topre board they want to loan me for a week?  Maybe I will become a convert and I can get one of those.  I've tried some of the lighter Topre switches and we did not get along.

I always say that aside from ergonomic issues, using a mechanical keyboard improves my work flow which is absolutely true. Both mechanically and morally, I'm faster and more motivated on my own board.

It's entirely true for me.  The two kinds of keyboards I type the fastest on are my mechs (once I'm acclimated to that switch) and my scissor switches on my T500.   The T500 also doesn't end up hurting because there's a high tactile point on the switches that helps keep me from pushing so hard on them.  Every other membrane, rubber dome, and scissor switch board I've used has been slower to type on hurt my hands with extended use.  Since part of my job is typing court reports and other documents to the court and individuals, I figure a good, comfortable typing experience is beneficial both ergonomically and in terms of typing speed.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 20:46:25 »
If your job requires substantial amounts of typing, then you should ask your office if they’d spring for, e.g., a Maltron or a μTRON, for ergonomic reasons. When they balk at the price you can offer to just keep using your existing keyboard.

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 20:47:15 »
Get a doctor's note.  I'm fortunate enough, all I have to do is show them my mangled elbow and I'm pretty set.  But these days, most health care practitioners are willing to help folks out. 
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 21:29:17 »
Get a doctor's note.  I'm fortunate enough, all I have to do is show them my mangled elbow and I'm pretty set.  But these days, most health care practitioners are willing to help folks out. 

^+1 to doctor's note.  Tell them that you can also get them a lawyer's note, if the doctor's note is not good enough.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 21:34:31 »
Talking to the head of IT, it sounded like the ergonomic buzzword was enough and that they should be able to move on that, no doctor's note necessary. Fortunately, it's not something coming into immediate effect as we're phasing over to the health care agency from being independent. 

I may try the PS/2 route and see if I can do that.  It would make the keyboard part easier, but not the mouse.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 08:39:11 »
Offer to let them examine it and test them out....

Are they disabling USB on all machines or just the ones normally accessible for a USB drive?  It isn't that easy to find bulk PS/2 Keyboards and Mice so I'm sure they're USB...just let them examine it and test it to make sure it doesn't have any security issues..

That combined with the ergonomic argument hopefully lets them ok it...

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 08:45:14 »
You'll probably end up with one of these

Offline osi

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 09:22:29 »
If IT gives you too much fuss, involving HR should be enough to keep your keyboard. Especially if you have a 'good' reason--the doctor's note is a great!

Also, like polymer said, give it to IT and have them analyze it for 'security flaws' and have them justify how it is a risk.

It might be easier to make a friend in IT that will let it slide. All office politics are different though hopefully you can pull the right strings.

Good luck! :)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 09:29:41 »
I wouldn't ask them to justify it...just work with them...I wouldn't even get HR involved at this point...

Just try to work with them to get an exception or to have them replace it with something they'll be happy with and you'll be happy with..

Do you know which device is giving them the most concern?  Just by looks I'd say the mouse because the keyboard is just a keyboard..the mouse looks like some oddball thing and it sticks out a lot...

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 10:23:40 »
Don't forget that all IT people love free food...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline mougrim

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 12:46:42 »
Don't forget that all IT people love free food...
And beer. And barbecued meat :)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 13:42:46 »
Luckily I work as an IT administrator so I decide which keyboard I want :p
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 13:54:36 »
There is no way a mechanical keyboard can introduce a virus or spyware into the system. Not unless you're having to upload drivers from a USB or external data source (such as a CD).

Besides, the computer system you're working on should have an antivirus firewall robust enough to cope with it.

I could understand it if you were putting in a USB device or charging up an iPhone from your computer's USB ports but even so.

No-one, to my knowledge, has ever had a computer virus problem from installing a USB wired keyboard of any kind.

If they did, then no-one would buy those keyboards.

I've used different keyboards on various incarnations of Windows for years (Since the 1990s - the golden years of IBM Model Ms) and I have never known a keyboard installation cause a computer malfunction due to a virus.

Offline osi

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 14:02:31 »
There is no way a mechanical keyboard can introduce a virus or spyware into the system. Not unless you're having to upload drivers from a USB or external data source (such as a CD).

Besides, the computer system you're working on should have an antivirus firewall robust enough to cope with it.

I could understand it if you were putting in a USB device or charging up an iPhone from your computer's USB ports but even so.

No-one, to my knowledge, has ever had a computer virus problem from installing a USB wired keyboard of any kind.

If they did, then no-one would buy those keyboards.

I've used different keyboards on various incarnations of Windows for years (Since the 1990s - the golden years of IBM Model Ms) and I have never known a keyboard installation cause a computer malfunction due to a virus.

just because it hasn't made the news doesn't mean it hasn't happened :d.

The more important factor of the restriction I imagine would be simply the USB functionality. Just another 'open door' to close.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 15:25:11 »

^+1 to doctor's note.  Tell them that you can also get them a lawyer's note, if the doctor's note is not good enough.

Lol good one eth0s :)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:11:06 »
Luckily I work as an IT administrator so I decide which keyboard I want :p

yup. my company has the same bull**** keyboard and mouse policy.  but i work at a satellite office. i use an ergodox at  work and even encourage "the users" to bring in whatever works for them.  **** it. corporate wont do anything, they are dependent on me to keep their **** going.  and i dont document ****. i am not documenting myself out of a job. 
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline mougrim

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:54:42 »
Crap-eaters who enforce "corporate policy" like this should be typing on crappy rubberdome with half keys missing all their life :)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 01:55:53 »
g
Crap-eaters who enforce "corporate policy" like this should be typing on crappy rubberdome with half keys missing all their life :)

corporate picked the wrong person at my office to enforce such a policy. no way in hell i am ever going to tell someone what they can and cannot use as far as kb/mouse. 

'snitches get stitches' is one of my three office principals.  the other two being 'its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission' and 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil'.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 April 2014, 01:57:46 by tricheboars »

Offline mougrim

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 03:53:06 »
g

corporate picked the wrong person at my office to enforce such a policy. no way in hell i am ever going to tell someone what they can and cannot use as far as kb/mouse. 

'snitches get stitches' is one of my three office principals.  the other two being 'its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission' and 'the squeaky wheel gets the oil'.

Damn good three principles you have :)
And in my office nobody giveth a fukke :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 14:08:01 »
So far no dice on keeping my own.  And, apparently, the only certified vendor is Staples which means I have the choice of the Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 or Trackman Marble for more ergonomic mice (no vertical mice) and the MS Wired Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 for ergo keyboards. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 14:09:41 »
well, at least the ergo 4k doesn't suck

but domes
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 14:15:59 »
well, at least the ergo 4k doesn't suck

but domes

It still sucks, it just sucks less than some others.  Goodbye comfortable Ergo Clears, we had a good run.  Hello crappy domes and decreased productivity.

And I really wanted to use a TKL or 60% since they're even more comfortable.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 14:21:57 »
Take rubber dome board apart, remove all stuff, figure out a way to set Ergo Clears into the case (cut squares in plastic case or something?), wire them in matrix, connect to teensy, no one is the wiser.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 14:44:23 »
Take rubber dome board apart, remove all stuff, figure out a way to set Ergo Clears into the case (cut squares in plastic case or something?), wire them in matrix, connect to teensy, no one is the wiser.

I think Security won't approve tinkering with keyboard at work and won't allow taking it hope.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 15:39:42 »
put a Logitech sticker on your ergodox and pretend it is what they ordered. if someone questions act surprised and confused. "I dont know. this is what i got. i kind of like it. blah blah blah".  be sure to add that "blah blah blah" as it really helps solidify your arguments.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 15:49:58 »
that's what happens when you work for NASA. lesson learned the hard way.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 00:37:02 »
Damn, I was hoping for a happy (or at least tolerable) ending to this one. I would definitely start looking for another job if that happened to me. Not trying to encourage that; just feeling your pain!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 00:38:43 »
Damn, I was hoping for a happy (or at least tolerable) ending to this one. I would definitely start looking for another job if that happened to me. Not trying to encourage that; just feeling your pain!

I'm going to try and find some amicable resolution.  They have some mechs on Staples.com, but nothing that I could justify and nothing really that great.  I may be able to replace my mouse though.  I'll just have to take it home and swap out the crappy switches for some nice Omron switches.

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 17:31:45 »
Plugging a USB keyboard into a computer is not the same as plugging a USB memory drive. Not the same thing at all.

Seriously, never known anyone develop a computer problem on their machine from connecting a keyboard or mouse. Its just never happened. Certainly not from a reputable company.

I'd go down the ergonomics route if they persist. Denying people the tools they need to do a job and its a recipe for an industrial tribunal.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 17:49:20 »
Tell them to get you a das or filco, and say you can't work efficiently without it.