Author Topic: Opinions on Dental Floss BS  (Read 1455 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Opinions on Dental Floss BS
« on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:27:07 »
Just got in my first Model M, courtesy of riotonthebay :D, and I'm still trying to decide whether I'm feelin the floss. I do enjoy the sound, but it obviously dampens the "click". So what are your opinions?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Opinions on Dental Floss BS
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:35:26 »
When I type on buckling spring switches, I want everyone around me, including myself, to duck for cover. I embrace the banjo meets Maxim machine gun sound of BS.

I vote for no floss mod.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:51:19 »
The floss mod is essential on the Model F and makes it perfect.

On the Model M, it does reduce the noise but deadens the feel quite a bit.

The F is "live" enough to take it in stride, the M really loses something.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:55:52 »
The floss mod is essential on the Model F and makes it perfect.

On the Model M, it does reduce the noise but deadens the feel quite a bit.

The F is "live" enough to take it in stride, the M really loses something.

I have 4 packages of super floss waiting to be flossed modded. But I don't want to remove the caps again...making sure the springs are aligined in the first place is so tedious

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 06:51:54 »
But I don't want to remove the caps again...making sure the springs are aligned in the first place is so tedious

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

I assume that all the caps will come off and on at least twice during every mod project, usually more. Once you get used to it, you can do it with your eyes closed.

If you are careful to keep the stem centered, and use a top-down rocking motion, it is really not so bad. Also, it sometimes helps to tip the keyboard up on the front (spacebar) edge to make the springs flop downward.

One word of caution: if you cut the floss too long, it will prevent the spring from seating at the top of the stem.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 09:19:40 »
I do enjoy the sound, but it obviously dampens the "click".
If it dampens the click, then you are doing it wrong.

Floss cut at the right length will keep the click (sound and tactility) but remove the "twang".