Author Topic: Originative Grand Opening!  (Read 38944 times)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
Re: Originative Grand Opening!
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 03:26:39 »
I am very sorry for all the troubles I have caused here.  There is a new pricing, and I hope you guys are happy with this.

http://originativeco.com/thanks-all-feedback

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 03:30:51 »
I am very sorry for all the troubles I have caused here.  There is a new pricing, and I hope you guys are happy with this.

Thats really nice of you.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 03:34:17 »

Thats really nice of you.

I really just hope people stop fighting.  It kind of irritates me to have someone fight over my pricing.  I really do not want to get on the bad side of people.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 04:38:36 »
hmmmmmm.....

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 04:56:34 »
Would have been better if you would contribute to community groupbuys instead of rolling out yr own (very limited) order.

Good luck with yr business anyway!

Offline Batmann

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 06:35:00 »
Also, I would much rather pay a "price hike" and get what I want within a week...instead of going through the uncertainty of group buys and waiting MONTHS to get what I paid for well in advance.

Have you ever participated to a GB?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 06:49:11 »
Also, I would much rather pay a "price hike" and get what I want within a week...instead of going through the uncertainty of group buys and waiting MONTHS to get what I paid for well in advance.

I have.  Some of them go great, some of them crash and burn.

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:18:09 »

I have.  Some of them go great, some of them crash and burn.

I think GBs for novelty keys held by people like i3oiler finishes fast and almost always succeeds.

Keysets are a little more complicated with the MOQ and stuff IMO.

Offline pasph

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:07:04 »
So now we all will stop making GBs and wait for Sherry feed us?
Poor SP :(
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:09:02 »
No, we continue on as normal, obviously.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:14:59 »

I really hope the Group Buy continues.  I would like to help if possible, but my original order came before GMK was founded.  I made an order in late October.  The company was founded through GeekHack in mid December.  If I could have helped with the Group Buy, then that would have been great.  I have been pushing I was coming with something great since September now.  I worked with GMK to produce this double shot window key.  I hope people can see I tried to do some good at least.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:16:54 »
^Tell us when we can place an order for the sets again Sherry.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:18:47 »

I really hope the Group Buy continues.  I would like to help if possible, but my original order came before GMK was founded.  I made an order in late October.  The company was founded through GeekHack in mid December.  If I could have helped with the Group Buy, then that would have been great.  I have been pushing I was coming with something great since September now.  I worked with GMK to produce this double shot window key.  I hope people can see I tried to do some good at least.

Don't worry sheraton, we appreciate what you've done for us. I know some people are a little snappy about the prices, but IMO they're justified. If a normal groupbuy were to commence to get MOQ of 400 for each set, that would take maybe 6 months to reach that number.  Good luck with your business man!

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:21:48 »
hmmmmmm.....

Last time I checked, that combination is the fastest and cheapest.

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:24:00 »
hmmmmmm.....

Show Image

Last time I checked, that combination is the fastest and cheapest.
petrol and grey is the trimuph adler one.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:29:02 »
I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about.  :confused:

Taking a look at the pricing Tinlong posted, then it would appear that the raw cost per set was probably in the neighborhood of $77 US. This of course doesn't take into account the cost of shipping, or any setup fees, etc.

Add in the fact that the MOQ was 400, then we're talking about roughly 30k upfront, again not counting shipping, or additional costs. We're also not factoring in their time to setup a business, online store front, and all the other myriad chores required to setup a business.

All so that his company could make $35 - $40 per set?

Granted, Sherryton has been extremely transparent in his business and he comes from the GH community, so it's understandable that some folks might feel like he's somehow taken advantage of the community, or something, I don't know. It just doesn't make sense to me.

However, I'm new to all this, so I could be way off base. If someone knows where else I can BUY a brand new, full set of blue on beige  Cherry style key caps for less, please sent me the link!  ;D

Offline korne

• comscan
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:29:56 »
sherryton will be nice if atleast u add a small compatibility kit 1big enter + 1 left small shift + >< key. It's just 3 keycaps and most people will be happy

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:34:17 »
For reference: WASD switches.  $1.75 each.  How much are they from Prof, $0.60?

Offline whiskerBox

Originative Grand Opening!
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:45:10 »
You know those prices posted from gmk are just for base sets, sherrys sets include a lot of extra keys to make these sets work with most layouts. I think there is a misconception of what is included in sherrys sets. GLWS sherry your resurrecting the cherry DS movement!
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 08:54:36 »
sherryton will be nice if atleast u add a small compatibility kit 1big enter + 1 left small shift + >< key. It's just 3 keycaps and most people will be happy

I can do this.  It will not be in the next 2 months.  I will say around late March, but it's going to be a different colored set.  I missed the ISO part this time around, but when I made the order in October, I came up with a set that was similar to my CCnB.  I am very sorry for not thinking about the ISO people in the process of that order. :(

You know those prices posted from gmk are just for base sets, sherrys sets include a lot of extra keys to make these sets work with most layouts. I think there is a misconception of what is included in sherrys sets. GLWS sherry your resurrecting the cherry DS movement!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 09:44:11 »
Sherryton is taking the risk of buying all of the 400 sets (or maybe 1000 sets?) himself, so it's quite understandable to make some profit through it. I would also love to see group buy going though, it's just a bit hard to reach 400 sets.

Offline pasph

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 10:07:22 »
Hi Feng, are you feel better now?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 10:12:32 »
Awesome store! I really want a set!

Good to be able to buy stuff and have it ship relatively quickly.

Good luck!

Offline r3dx

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 10:34:30 »
I'm relatively new to the community but I think we can all agree that the more options there are the better off we all will be. I have yet to fully participate in a group buy but I can see it being nice having one place to pick up basic (black on white, white on black, beige, etc. ) double-shot key sets instead of having to cannibalize Cherry boards.

Great store sherryton! And good luck! I'm probably going to try and place an order by the end of the day to show my support.   ;D
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:07:34 »
Man I honestly don't understand geekhack sometimes.

you guys are perfectly fine with people like rag adding his fees to group buy prices and even defending him. But once somebody fronts the money AND risk, its a problem.

you don't want to pay his prices? Fine. Sit there and wait for that GB to maybe hit 400 sets per colorway for months.

and then the nerve so say he should have contributed to the GB instead of starting his business, are you kidding me? Sherry found gmk before geekhack even knew about anything and he was excited to bring you guys what you lusted for and now you're complaining? Ridiculous.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:17:03 »
Sherryton is taking the risk of buying all of the 400 sets (or maybe 1000 sets?) himself, so it's quite understandable to make some profit through it.

I don't understand all this hating on sherry

you guys are perfectly fine with people like rag adding his fees to group buy prices and even defending him. But once somebody fronts the money AND risk, its a problem.

you don't want to pay his prices? Fine. Sit there and wait for that GB to maybe hit 400 sets per colorway for months.

and then the nerve so say he should have contributed to the GB instead of starting his business, are you kidding me? Sherry found gmk before geekhack even knew about anything and he was excited to bring you guys what you lusted for and now you're complaining? Ridiculous.

THIS THIS THIS

Why is everyone getting on the offensive as soon as someone starts up a store? Pretty much all the other keycap websites are overpriced, but I never see anyone complaining and derailing other threads. Let Sherry do his thing, he's taking a huge risk by purchasing so many sets -- after all, the more online shops that offer keycaps, the better it is for the community overall.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:17:10 »

That.

I'm more than happy to have Sherry selling these and can't wait to get an order in. Anything else I want will come from the GB. It's just nice to know there's a retailer that can have this stuff to me in just over a week rather than waiting for a GB.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline sordna

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:36:35 »
For reference: WASD switches.  $1.75 each.  How much are they from Prof, $0.60?

WASD asks $1.75 for 1-9 switches. It's 90c for a quantity of 50, or 80c for 100 and up. It's not the best deal you can get but their shipping is cheap and FAST.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:42:54 »
They tried to keep GMK hidden from us which they openly admit to knowing about it much earlier than I did, attempted to dissuade me from pursuing groupbuy and going through them instead so the pricing could remain hidden and refused completely to co-operate with the groupbuy efforts when I asked. Don't try and pretend out for any benefit of the community. Out to have a business and make money, which is fine, just be honest about it.
Groupbuy would be a lot easier to reach MOQ if we don't have people undermining it. If they are sincere about helping the groupbuy they will stay away from any of the other proposed colorways so it has more chance of success instead of sabotaging it by rushing out the same option before the buy can conclude.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:45:15 »
Ha! keymaster trolling litster with his avatar now. :)

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:49:09 »
They tried to keep GMK hidden from us which they openly admit to knowing about it much earlier than I did, attempted to dissuade me from pursuing groupbuy and going through them instead so the pricing could remain hidden and refused completely to co-operate with the groupbuy efforts when I asked. Don't try and pretend out for any benefit of the community. Out to have a business and make money, which is fine, just be honest about it.
Groupbuy would be a lot easier to reach MOQ if we don't have people undermining it. If they are sincere about helping the groupbuy they will stay away from any of the other proposed colorways so it has more chance of success instead of sabotaging it by rushing out the same option before the buy can conclude.

Who's "they"?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:51:46 »

Who's "they"?

They = the people who knew about GMK and never mentioned it to the community prior to lysol.  There are at least a few people, probably some that you can deduce already.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:57:04 by DanGWanG »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:56:01 »
So sherryton and some part of the Korean keyboard community, I'm guessing.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:02:50 »
I wonder if Pepsi runs to coke to get approval of a new flavor.

I wonder if Pepsi is a community rather than a business...
last I checked sherry is a business and doesn't need approval from Lysol on what colors he can or can't use.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:04:06 »

Are you sure I said this stuff?  Are you that was not ming?  I read our messages, and I never dissuaded you to do group buys.  I tried to ask what you guys were interested in.  You wanted to coordinate with me, so we do not mix our sets.  I did not want to reveal any of my products to you, and you said You did not want to do all the work of a group buy, and would like me to handle it.  I did not say I did not want you to do a group buy.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Originative Grand Opening!
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:05:49 »
Nicely put demik.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:13:28 »
I wonder if Pepsi runs to coke to get approval of a new flavor.

I wonder if Pepsi is a community rather than a business...
last I checked sherry is a business and doesn't need approval from Lysol on what colors he can or can't use.

Last I checked, Sherry is also a member of the community who has admitted to wanting to help....but, has he?  No personal offense to Sherry, I just mean, saying and doing are two different things.  We haven't seen any of the doing part yet...

The moderators have convinced me that not only are they moderators but also members of the community.  The same can be said about vendors.

I hope I have contributed.  I tried to bring things that were impossible to obtain (by a few), and I enjoy doing it.  Everyone contributes in their own way. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:16:04 by sherryton »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:17:35 »
It's impossible to obtain Korean springs and switch stickers. Just saying. Hint, hint. :P

in memoriam

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:23:06 »
I really hope everyone just stops fighting.  I do not care if you guys hate me for this.  I just wanted to surprise everyone with some original Cherry, but I am really not enjoying this at all.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:43:45 »
Mmmm, beef. Dan, can you send me an Italian beef from Chicago, please?

I am bored with this fight, btw. I love both you guys. Can't we all just get along?

I thought reaper would have cleaned up this thread by now. ;D

in memoriam

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:48:48 »
So.... The weather is nice today  :confused:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:50:24 »

I thought it was really hot in parts of Australia right now. Well, not right now, it's night there, isn't it? Anyway, that's what they were saying when I was watching the Australian Open tennis last night.

in memoriam

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:51:00 »
Yawn.

don't you have props to collect from faceless screen names?

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:52:09 »
Yawn.

don't you have props to collect from faceless screen names?

Yawn indeed.  Don't text and drive/ride bicycle, becareful bro.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:52:28 »

I thought it was really hot in parts of Australia right now. Well, not right now, it's night there, isn't it? Anyway, that's what they were saying when I was watching the Australian Open tennis last night.

Yeah it was pretty damn hot yesterday, meant to be alot better today. I just had to say something, anything to change the subject...

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:53:04 »
I really hope everyone just stops fighting.  I do not care if you guys hate me for this.  I just wanted to surprise everyone with some original Cherry, but I am really not enjoying this at all.

If it makes you feel any better I think you did a really brave, good, and risky thing!  My hat off to you!

To the ISO / language crowd - The man has a market he is aiming for, US ANSI; don't know about the rest of Europe, but between postage, VAT, import duty, and handling fees buying a set from Sherryton would roughly double the cost of the keycaps.  This puts me and many like me outside of his perspective sales area - therefore he doesn't buy an extra 2400 (2800? more?)  keycaps that he'll never get through!  Were I in the USA, yes I'd buy a set.

To the anti-profit crowd - I'm in the process of setting up a website for my business (not the silver keycaps - that's just a side-line) and I'm currently looking at £1.5K/2K (+£450p.a.) for something which will see no return in and of itself.  I'm not going to have an online merchant account but Sherryton must - this adds an extra 1.5-5% per transaction.  I don't know what import duty he has to pay, but it won't be nothing - and that has to be covered.  GMK don't sort the caps into sets, each bag will have 400 keys which need to be sorted - don't know about you, but I'm generally £25/h but even at minimum wage it's £6.50/h - I dread to thing how long the sorting took/is taking!  Profit margin getting thinner and thinner...  and remember - you're buying directly from the manufacturer, that doesn't happen very often you have been very spoiled by SP and are about to be spoiled by GMK!  If you wanted to buy from a lot (roughly a third) of my suppliers you'd need to send them proof that you're a business (headed paper does not count!) and references from three other suppliers.

15 new posts since I started writing this - mostly just dross.

And another 2...

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:55:41 »
Poor Sherry.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 12:56:28 »

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 13:10:34 »
I just wanted to surprise everyone with some original Cherry, but I am really not enjoying this at all.
Everyone means US ANSI 104-key keyboard users only, eh?

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 13:15:58 »
i.e. his target market, those to whom postage, tax, duty and handling isn't a crippling cost.  So... yea.